ADVERTISEMENT

Menlo-Atherton

SPortela24

Sports Fanatic
Aug 8, 2009
I hear tons about all these East Bay, Central Valley and Sacramento area teams (and no disrespect to them at all, there is good football being played in those areas) but hear very little about Menlo-Atherton who is as talented on paper as anyone and has done their part to schedule a solid non-league schedule highlighted by a week 4 match up at Valor Christian of Denver. Their roster includes Washington commit Noa Ngalu, 4-Star LB Daniel Heimuli, 4-Star WR Troy Franklin and numerous other players who hold Pac-12 and MWC Offers.

How do they fair against the rest of Northern California?

Reactions: remc and smitj7
I think people are bearish on M-A this year after falling below expectations last year. They have the talent to be pretty interesting, but they were in the same boat in 2017.

This week vs. Mitty is interesting with the Monarchs looking real good against Oakdale last week

I personally don't have the knowledge base to say how M-A would do outside of the Central Coast Section, but I do know they are a heck of a tough team.

Menlo Atherton Overview

Menlo-Atherton is stacked again with lots of talent (6 players with offers, 4 D1 and more to come by season end). Even with the loss of QB Miles Conrad, Kilifi Leaaetoa, 6-1, 220, Sr, 4.63 40, D1 prospect; Ben Makoni, Sr, OG, 6-3, 305, D1 prospect; and Dimitri Sakalia, Sr, DE, 6-4, 230, the bears will have among the most talent of any team in the CCS with speed and big physical line.

Biggest replacement will be QB position with D1 recruit Justin Anderson, Jr, 6-0, 170, CB/WR converted over to QB and Jack Alexander, Jr, 5-10, 165 expected to fill the role at QB.

Bears are expected to improve over last season. They will be a physical smash mouth team on both sides of the ball with very good good playmakers (including Soph WR Troy Franklin who already has offers and will be a National recruit). Question is will they achieve at their talent level this season which didn't happen last year.

LAST SEASON RESULTS:

Varsity: 6-5 (1-4) – Losses to Bells, Mitty, Half Moon Bay, Aragon and Milpitas

JV: 10-0

KEY PLAYERS:

· Noa Ngalu, Sr, 6-2, 285 DT/G/RB, committed to WA;

· Daniel Heimuli, Sr, ILB, 6-2,220, 4 star LB with 23+ offers including Alabama;

· Troy Franklin, Soph, WR/CB, 6-3, 170, super athletic with offers already from Oregon State, Arizona State, Hawaii, Utah, San Jose State;

· Justin Anderson, Jr, 6-0, 170, QB/CB/WR, 3 star recruit with offers from Iowa State, Washington State and Utah;

· De’Marshaun Payton, Sr, RB, 5-8, 160, 879 yards rushing 10 TDs;

· Moala Tautuaa, Sr, DT/C, 6-2, 315; big physical lineman

· Tyreke Jackson, Jr, 5-7, 155, RB/SS, shifty and quick runner;

· Atonio Tau, Jr, LB/RB, 5-10, 220, load on both sides of ball; Uate Uhila, Jr, G, 6-1, 260, physical lineman;

· Malik Johnson, Sr, SS, 6-1, 205, transferred from St Francis (may be out of game due to transfer rules);

· Ben Tuipulotu, Sr, FS/WR, 6-0, 175, transfer from Kings Academy that is very good on both sides of the ball (may be out due to transfer rules);

· David Tafuna, Sr, DE/C/G, 6-1, 265, very good on defense, quick and physical;

· Jack Alexander, Jr, 5-10, 165, accurate passer and relatively mobile. Not big arm but throws to spots well especially slants and post.

TAKEAWAY
Expect Menlo Atherton defense to be much more physical and faster than Oakdale last week. However, there is a question mark as to MA pass defense. If transfers can play, they will be formidable against Mitty passing attack and LBs should be able to contain running of Mitty QB. MA has playmakers all over and Anderson at QB is a dual threat and if Alexander plays he is an accurate passer that is relatively mobile that can get the ball to playmakers. They have a balanced offense as far as ability to run and pass. I expect it to be a good game.

Last edited:
I think people are bearish on M-A this year after falling below expectations last year. They have the talent to be pretty interesting, but they were in the same boat in 2017.

This week vs. Mitty is interesting with the Monarchs looking real good against Oakdale last week

True, but they're also a team that was looked at as young, exciting, but not ready in 2016 when they won the Open. All of this after Conrad went out and Aajon Johnson took over at QB.

Last edited:
Don’t want to high Jack the thread but don’t forget about Aragon. They’re gonna be tough this year they were young last year and did pretty good

Reactions: DubCal4EVA
Of course. But I bring up M-A because in order to win one of the open Divisions you have to or even stand out in the CCS you have to kick the WCAL out of the way. Aragon hasn't done that in a while.

MA is going to take Mitty to the Woodshed, it is such a mismatch it’s crazy! MA 42-7. The MA coach is the real deal and will get this group right this year.

@
I hear tons about all these East Bay, Central Valley and Sacramento area teams (and no disrespect to them at all, there is good football being played in those areas) but hear very little about Menlo-Atherton who is as talented on paper as anyone and has done their part to schedule a solid non-league schedule highlighted by a week 4 match up at Valor Christian of Denver. Their roster includes Washington commit Noa Ngalu, 4-Star LB Daniel Heimuli, 4-Star WR Troy Franklin and numerous other players who hold Pac-12 and MWC Offers.

How do they fair against the rest of Northern California?

Why are you so high on MA????? They were highly disappointing last year, and have been all HYPE! Are they even the best team in their league this year? I got Aragon, TN and HMB over them right now.

Reactions: ncpfan
@

Why are you so high on MA????? They were highly disappointing last year, and have been all HYPE! Are they even the best team in their league this year? I got Aragon, TN and HMB over them right now.

M-A has a lot to prove before I start believing in the hype again. Mitty was young last year and their QB lit up M-A. Mitty is a clear favorite Friday night.

Menlo Atherton Overview

Menlo-Atherton is stacked again with lots of talent (6 players with offers, 4 D1 and more to come by season end). Even with the loss of QB Miles Conrad, Kilifi Leaaetoa, 6-1, 220, Sr, 4.63 40, D1 prospect; Ben Makoni, Sr, OG, 6-3, 305, D1 prospect; and Dimitri Sakalia, Sr, DE, 6-4, 230, the bears will have among the most talent of any team in the CCS with speed and big physical line.

Biggest replacement will be QB position with D1 recruit Justin Anderson, Jr, 6-0, 170, CB/WR converted over to QB and Jack Alexander, Jr, 5-10, 165 expected to fill the role at QB.

Bears are expected to improve over last season. They will be a physical smash mouth team on both sides of the ball with very good good playmakers (including Soph WR Troy Franklin who already has offers and will be a National recruit). Question is will they achieve at their talent level this season which didn't happen last year.

LAST SEASON RESULTS:

Varsity: 6-5 (1-4) – Losses to Bells, Mitty, Half Moon Bay, Aragon and Milpitas

JV: 10-0

KEY PLAYERS:

· Noa Ngalu, Sr, 6-2, 285 DT/G/RB, committed to WA;

· Daniel Heimuli, Sr, ILB, 6-2,220, 4 star LB with 23+ offers including Alabama;

· Troy Franklin, Soph, WR/CB, 6-3, 170, super athletic with offers already from Oregon State, Arizona State, Hawaii, Utah, San Jose State;

· Justin Anderson, Jr, 6-0, 170, QB/CB/WR, 3 star recruit with offers from Iowa State, Washington State and Utah;

· De’Marshaun Payton, Sr, RB, 5-8, 160, 879 yards rushing 10 TDs;

· Moala Tautuaa, Sr, DT/C, 6-2, 315; big physical lineman

· Tyreke Jackson, Jr, 5-7, 155, RB/SS, shifty and quick runner;

· Atonio Tau, Jr, LB/RB, 5-10, 220, load on both sides of ball; Uate Uhila, Jr, G, 6-1, 260, physical lineman;

· Malik Johnson, Sr, SS, 6-1, 205, transferred from St Francis (may be out of game due to transfer rules);

· Ben Tuipulotu, Sr, FS/WR, 6-0, 175, transfer from Kings Academy that is very good on both sides of the ball (may be out due to transfer rules);

· David Tafuna, Sr, DE/C/G, 6-1, 265, very good on defense, quick and physical;

· Jack Alexander, Jr, 5-10, 165, accurate passer and relatively mobile. Not big arm but throws to spots well especially slants and post.

TAKEAWAY
Expect Menlo Atherton defense to be much more physical and faster than Oakdale last week. However, there is a question mark as to MA pass defense. If transfers can play, they will be formidable against Mitty passing attack and LBs should be able to contain running of Mitty QB. MA has playmakers all over and Anderson at QB is a dual threat and if Alexander plays he is an accurate passer that is relatively mobile that can get the ball to playmakers. They have a balanced offense as far as ability to run and pass. I expect it to be a good game.

Now that's a great response and break down that deserves attention. I'll be paying closer attention to MA.

Reactions: remc
@

All hype? They played in a state bowl game the season before last lol

I saw an interview with their head coach 2 nights ago and he said something very intelligent. Menlo-Atherton is in uncharted waters right now. They've put out players before but never have they had this many national recruits on their roster at one time. It's an adjustment for the team, the staff, the players and the school.

All hype? They played in a state bowl game the season before last lol

I saw an interview with their head coach 2 nights ago and he said something very intelligent. Menlo-Atherton is in uncharted waters right now. They've put out players before but never have they had this many national recruits on their roster at one time. It's an adjustment for the team, the staff, the players and the school.

We will see.... till this point they had 1 good season, and people start talking about 'how the rank vs other NorCal powers?' Please slow your roll....

If they were in the WCAL they might steal a win vs some of the city teams. Bell is gonna finish last or 2nd to last in the WCAL this year, mark my word. We will see how MA looks this Friday vs a hot Mitty team. Coach Sione is the real deal and partly why MA had that state team 2yrs ago...

Reactions: ncpfan
Taufoou was 30-26 at M-A in four seasons. Adhir Ravipati is 26-13 in three seasons and a game. Yes, Sione is a great coach but the numbers indicate Adhir has done better. Consider that MA was 3-8 the year before Adhir took over. His big recruits; Heimuli, Ngalu, Anderson were only freshmen when he took over. Franklin was in 7th grade so it's not like any of this team was there during Taufoou's tenure.

For all the shit you're giving The Bears for blanking Bellarmine, MA got shut out by an ocean division team under Sione.

I'm not undermining the guy but let's not get it twisted here. Ravipati is the reason why MA is ascending.

M-A's large student body has always had more than its share of top-quality male athletes. A big problem for the football program was keeping these dudes eligible. That seems to be rectified today. Hence the stockpile of big-time talent.

NCPfan hit the nail on the head. I have watched Menlo Atherton play Bellarmine the last four meetings. This is by far the most talented team they have had. Bellarmine is actually not bad at the skill positions but they lack offensive and defensive lines. They were no match for the size and speed of MA up front. If they can play with discipline they will be very difficult to stop. The only way they lose to Mitty is due to major implosion.

Ok ok ..... Let's get some realistic hard number predictions out there, and see who wins it!

I got my fellow PAL BOYZ ( MA ) 35 - 21 lets check back saturday morning and name the winner.

28-21 Mitty. Sione is an excellent coach and they have quite a staff there, many former head coaches and college guys. Adhir is very good as well, but there are discipline issues there (they were always there he has done a good job minimizing.)

28-21 Mitty. Sione is an excellent coach and they have quite a staff there, many former head coaches and college guys. Adhir is very good as well, but there are discipline issues there (they were always there he has done a good job minimizing.)

Mitty is going to running clock MA. They almost running clocked Oakdale whose better coached and a better program than MA.

Mitty wins 49-7 and makes a case for being a WCAL contender. Bears go back to being pretenders again.

NCPfan hit the nail on the head. I have watched Menlo Atherton play Bellarmine the last four meetings. This is by far the most talented team they have had. Bellarmine is actually not bad at the skill positions but they lack offensive and defensive lines. They were no match for the size and speed of MA up front. If they can play with discipline they will be very difficult to stop. The only way they lose to Mitty is due to major implosion.

Major implosion like their entire 2017 season? 2016 was a flash in the pan. They'll always be talented and always come up short.

Ok ok ..... Let's get some realistic hard number predictions out there, and see who wins it!

I got my fellow PAL BOYZ ( MA ) 35 - 21 lets check back saturday morning and name the winner.

Sorry GOTF your fellow PAL BOYZ cant hang with the Elite of the WCAL. This will be a one side match. 42-7 Mitty over MA.

Sorry GOTF your fellow PAL BOYZ cant hang with the Elite of the WCAL. This will be a one side match. 42-7 Mitty over MA.

I don’t know if I’d call Mitty elite yet. They need a win tomorrow to prove themselves this year.

I think they get it but it’ll be a closer game and more low scoring. 24-10 Mitty wins.

Well well well........ anybody know the final score? Oh wait I do 28-21 MA. The PAL prevailes. Great game by both teams.

Last edited:
So, for the first time in awhile, CCS public schools will post an overall winning record vs. the WCAL during the pre-season. Right now, the mark is 4-1. There is one game left: Homestead at Sacred Heart Cathedral. M-A has two of those four wins. Wilcox and Palo Alto have the other two. St. Francis beat Oak Grove for the sole WCAL victory thus far. Oh, by the way, if M-A defeats Palma next week, the PAL Bay Division Bears will have gone 3-0 vs. CCS Catholic schools. It's not out of the question since SHC gave Palma all it could handle Friday evening in Salinas.

Reactions: GOTF
If Palma stays within 2 scores that would be huge. Mitty/MA score could have been a lot
worse but typical MA mental/physical shut down in 3Q. Franklin didn’t play because of an allergic reaction to a bagel before game! ??

What are your thoughts on the game?

MA got lucky. They score on a fumble recovery on a double handoff (bad play call by Mitty getting cute) then have a lineman pick up a fumble and run down the sideline to setup their go ahead score. They were clearly outplayed and couldn't defend Mitty's pass game. They shouldn't have won the game especially after their terrible effort in the 3rd quarter but in football the better team doesn't always win.

Palma will give MA everything they can handle before they lose to Valor Christian in a blowout. I expect Terra Nova and potentially Aragon to handle the Bears in PAL play as well before they lose to someone in the semis of CCS again.

Mitty will learn from this and make their run in the WCAL. If these two teams played again in a few weeks I would take Mitty big again.

MA got lucky. They score on a fumble recovery on a double handoff (bad play call by Mitty getting cute) then have a lineman pick up a fumble and run down the sideline to setup their go ahead score. They were clearly outplayed and couldn't defend Mitty's pass game. They shouldn't have won the game especially after their terrible effort in the 3rd quarter but in football the better team doesn't always win.

Palma will give MA everything they can handle before they lose to Valor Christian in a blowout. I expect Terra Nova and potentially Aragon to handle the Bears in PAL play as well before they lose to someone in the semis of CCS again.

Mitty will learn from this and make their run in the WCAL. If these two teams played again in a few weeks I would take Mitty big again.

How about the Bears' shutout vs. Bellarmine? Your thoughts?

Reactions: GOTF and DubCal4EVA

Aragon gave up 56 points to an undersized Aptos team. While I think Aptos should be ranked at #1 in PCAL Gab ahead of Palma and Salinas), Menlo Atherton would be a favorite in those Gab matchups like they will against Palma. Aragon is clearly not close to as good as they were last season. They got blown out. Palma is going to have a very tough matchup against MA. Palma will have to play much better on both sides of the ball to have a shot at defeating MA. MA defense is stifling this season. Maybe Terra Nova has a good shot at winning the PAL Bay, but I think you still have to favor MA because the TN wins over Hollister (clearly down) and Carlmont wouldn't have been close against MA either. It is looking like MA is the favorite with maybe too early to tell on TN. Aragon seems way down. Maybe they matchup better in games against MA because they see each oither alot, but it is looking like MA a top 3-4 CCS team so far. I'm rooting for Palma and expect to attend that game, but MA is probably a two TD favorite. Palma is clearly better than they were last season, but I think the MA defense is much better than last year and they are a very physical smashmouth style team. Palma needs to get better on the o-line (young) and I think since they have a great RB and very good QB, they might have a shot at keeping the score closer than the 2 TDs. I think you have to take MA in this one against Palma.

Reactions: RLS13
Mitty was a big disappointment. Their play calling was terrible, and yet they should've WON vs MA. That is an indictment on how overrated MA is right now... SF and Serra would roll MA. Hopefully Mitty coaches will use this as a learning lesson. If they do, I see them giving Serra and SF everything they can handle.

Reactions: foreverbored
Mitty was a big disappointment. Their play calling was terrible, and yet they should've WON vs MA. That is an indictment on how overrated MA is right now... SF and Serra would roll MA. Hopefully Mitty coaches will use this as a learning lesson. If they do, I see them giving Serra and SF everything they can handle.

If they roll Mitty, you have some evidence, but if not MA is probably close. MA was missing one of their impact players as well. If MA continues to improve, they could be dangerous. I think physically their defense can match up with St Francis offense - no question. Mitty offense could be better than St Francis, but SF has a better defense. SF v MA could be closer than many think. Still early to tell. Serra alo is too early to tell. They were athletically and physically over matched by Serra Gardena (their defense didn't pressure the Gardena QB all night). Mitty seems better than last season but MA improved more.

Mitty will “make a run” on paper, but in reality they will be a non factor in the league championship like all the WCAL schools not named Serra or St. Francis.

Mitty has a playmaking QB and a sub par O-Line/D-Line. SF will score on every drive with their offense period. Like usual Mitty will be 4/5th place in the WCAL.

Pretty funny going through this thread reading about how Mitty was going to roll M-A, then watching people spin the loss.

Goes to show that a lot of people on here don't know what they're talking about. Hoping that a team wins doesn't mean crap on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT