ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Podany of Cal throws Perfect Game vs. DLS

2016chd

Seasoned Veteran
Dec 30, 2013
Great pitching performance by Podany in the 3-0 victory.
73 pitches

This post was edited on 3/21 10:18 PM by 2016chd

At the HS level that is a rare feat indeed. And dLS is no slouch with 5 seniors in the lineup. Velasquez went yard off the lefty starter. Cal has upped it notch in Ross' second year taking on Acalanes-Campo-BOD pre-season. Should be another competitive year in EBAL.

It is one thing to throw a perfect game at the HS level, which is a rare feat alright, but another to do it against a program like DLS with all that talent. Is this kid a junior? Well done young man.

According to the MaxPreps schedule, Cal and DLS don't play until May 15. De La Salle is in the Boras Baseball Classic this week.

With SRV beating DLS and Cal topping Granada yesterday, there is a 3-way tie atop the EBAL heading into the final week. DLS, SRV & Cal are all at 8-4, with AV a game back at 7-5. Foothill is at 5-7 and there is also a 3-way logjam at the bottom with Livermore, Granada and MV all sitting at 4-8. This is about as balanced as you can get as there are no easy outs in the EBAL.

DLS plays at Granada on Wednesday, and then hosts Cal the following day in a game with major league championship and NCS seeding ramifications. Hooper threw yesterday at SRV, so he would be in line to face Cal on Thursday.

Cal hosts AV Wednesday, and over to Winton Drive to face Hooper the next day. As Podany didn't throw yesterday, he may be in line to face AV unless coach Ross wants to see if he can re-work his magic against Sparty Thursday.

SRV is really in the drivers seat, as they have already played both DLS & Cal twice, splitting with Cal and sweeping DLS. Their final 2 games are against teams tied for last place, Livermore and Monte Vista. But don't think MV is going down to their arch rivals without a fight. The only thing the Stangs like better than winning is preventing SRV from winning anything.

Amador Valley is not out of it either. If they beat Cal Wednesday, Cal beats DLS and SRV stumbles, we could end up looking at a 4-way tie.

This promises to be an exciting final week in the EBAL. If there is anything this season has shown thus far, no game in this league can be taken for granted.

This post was edited on 5/10 10:31 AM by observer22

The EBAL just keeps getting tighter and tighter. DLS, Cal & SRV all lost Thursday, so those 3 head into the final game of the season in a 4-way tie with Amador Valley at 8-5. The other 4 teams, Monte Vista, Foothill, Livermore & Granada are all also tied, just 3 games back at 5-8.

DLS hosts Cal on Thursday, so one of these teams will fall out of first. Hooper did not throw Wednesday for DLS, so should get the nod Thursday. Podany threw 6 innings vs. AV Wednesday giving up 3 runs (1 earned) in the loss, so will not be able to see how far his perfect streak would have lasted against the Spartans.

SRV travels to arch rival MV Friday, while AV hosts their own arch rival Foothill. Since either DLS or Cal will win their game, both SRV and AV will need to win Friday to keep pace for a share of the title.

All 8 teams are separated by just 3 games heading into the final game of the season. There are no easy victories to be found in this league, in what has to be the most balanced league in NorCal. All 8 are among the Bay Area News Group top 12 teams in the East Bay, along with Campo, College Park, Clayton Valley Charter & Heritage.

DLS won the rematch and has clinched at least a share of first place in the EBAL. Cal got 6 runs, but too little too late as Sparty got 5 each in the 2nd & 3rd frames to break it open. I wonder if coach Ross is reconsidering his throwing Podany on Wednesday instead of last night?

SRV and AV can still claim a share of the title with wins tonight. SRV has beaten both DLS and AV twice and would be in the tiebreaker drivers seat for the designated league champion and home field considerations for NCS playolff purposes, while DLS has beaten AV twice this season.

EBAL De La Salle 13, California 6

California 000 211 2-- 6 6 1

De La Salle 055 003 x-- 13 15 2

Cabral, Dokken (2), Chalmers (3), Huttenhain (5), DeLillo (6) and McDonnell. Hooper, Alms (5), Lally (7), Ross (7) and Schatz. W: Hooper. L: Cabral. 2B: McDonnell (C), Velasquez (C), Chauvin (C), Ackerman (C), Dondanville (DLS). HR: Williams (DLS) 6th inn., 1 on. Records: California 17-7, 8-6 EBAL; De La Salle 17-7, 9-5 EBAL. Highlights: C -- Chauvin 1 for 3, R, 2 RBI; Ackerman 2 for 3, R, 2 RBI. DLS -- Dondanville 1 for 2, 3 RBI, R; McAdoo 3 for 4, 3 R.

SRV (2-0) and AV (2-1) both won their rivalry games yesterday, so they both ended up tied for 1st place in the EBAL with DLS at 9-5. SRV holds the tie-breaker as they swept both DLS and AV during league play, so they should get the league champion designation and home field consideration at the NCS seeding meeting tomorrow.

SRV should be the top seed for NCS D1, followed by DLS and then AV based on their head to head, as these were the top 3 teams and all had similar records. Cal finished a game back at 8-6 to take 4th place in the EBAL, but may get the 4th seed as they beat both BOD (7-1) and Heritage (17-2) head to head, unless the committee does not want to see the top 4 all come from the same league.

Sure enough, not only did the EBAL get the top 4 seeds in that order, but Granada was 5 and Foothill was 6, so they grabbed the top 6 spots. #7 went to BVAL champ Liberty, even though they were just 13-11 overall. #3 Amador has to go on the road to face #14 San Leandro since they were league champs. With Liberty at #7, DLS will not see another EBAL foe until the semifinals. Heritage gets one more crack at Liberty in the only 1st round rematch I see, after they had lost to them twice in BVAL play.

1 - SRV 17-7 * EBAL champ
2 - DLS 17-7
3 - AV 16-8
4 - Cal 17-7
5 - Granada 16-8
6 - Foothill 13-11
7 - Liberty 13-11 * BVAL champ
8 - BOD 16-10
9 - MV 12-12
10 - Heritage 16-8
11 - Deer Valley 13-9
12 - Dougherty Valley 12-12
13 - Berkeley 15-10
14 - San Leandro 20-6 * WACC-S Champ
15 - Castro Valley 15-9
16 - Pitt 12-12

NCS D1 Bracket

NCS Playoffs

DIVISION I

Quarterfinals - Saturday

San Ramon Valley 10, No. 9 Monte Vista (13-13) 5

Berkeley 2, No. 5 Granada (17-9) 0, 9 innings

De La Salle 14, No. 7 Liberty (14-12) 1

Foothill 10, No. 14 San Leandro (21-7) 0, 6 innings (no hitter by Franco)

Wednesday's semifinals

No. 13 Berkeley (17-10) at No. 1 San Ramon Valley (20-7), 4 p.m.

No. 6 Foothill (15-11) at No. 2 De La Salle (19-7), 4 p.m.

Podany's perfecto is all the more impressive given that the Spartans are a win away from becoming NCS champs. It should be a battle on Saturday at SMC as SRV tries to beat DLS for the 3rd time this season, never an easy task.

NCS Playoffs

DIVISION I

Wednesday's semifinals

San Ramon Valley 4, No. 13 Berkeley (17-11) 0

De La Salle 1, No. 6 Foothill (15-12) 0

Saturday's final

No. 1 San Ramon Valley (21-7) vs. No. 2 De La Salle (20-7) at Saint Mary's College, 4 p.m.

Saturday's NCS D1 final

No. 1 San Ramon Valley (21-7) vs. No. 2 De La Salle (20-7) at Saint Mary's College, 4 p.m.

#1 vs #2 in the final, EBAL co-champions battling it out for the title. I know Hooper is on the bump for the Spartans, and you've got to like their chances with him. Who is SRV throwing tomorrow? All hands on deck for the finale.

Hooper gets it done in shutting down the Wolves' offense as DLS takes the NCS D1 title.

De La Salle beats San Ramon Valley for NCS Division I baseball title

MORAGA -- The De La Salle High baseball team used an early hit parade to capture its eighth North Coast Section championship Saturday with a 6-2 win over San Ramon Valley in the Division I title game before an above-capacity crowd at Saint Mary's College.

Junior left-hander Justin Hooper, a year after taking the loss in the NCS finals against Amador Valley, threw 5 1/3 one-hit innings and made sure the Spartans' early offense held up.

The UCLA-commit, who consistently hit 93-94 mph with his fastball, already has his sights set on next year's title game for a Spartans program that has reached the finals the past four years.

"I know we're going to be back here next year," Hooper said. "We just proved that we can get here four years in a row. It's the biggest thing for me confidence-wise because hopefully I'll get the rock again next year."

No. 2 seed De La Salle (21-7) took an aggressive approach early. John Velasco ripped the game's first pitch from Connor Loar for a triple and Austin Dondanville followed with an RBI single.

"Our approach was get on the dish and handle the outside pitch and that's what we did," Dondanville said. "John hit a ball in the gap and then I got one that was a little bit fat and got the job done."

Two-out hitting proved critical in the second inning as the Spartans took control of the game early. Dondanville delivered a two-out, two-run single and Michael Mcadoo did the same. Ben Polshuk added an RBI single and De La Salle was up 6-0.

No. 1 San Ramon Valley (20-8) scratched across an unearned run in the second inning and another in the third when Ryan Weisenberg cranked a leadoff triple and scored on a groundout.

The Wolves didn't deliver many serious threats afterwards, although they did put two runners on in the sixth. Spartans reliever Henry Alms battled out of that and pitched a scoreless seventh to secure the title for De La Salle.

Division I Championship De La Salle 6, San Ramon Valley 2

DLS 150 000 0-- 6 9 3

SRV 011 000 0-- 2 2 0

Hooper, Alms (6) and Schatz. Loar, Neumann (2), Morgan (5) and Kanat. W: Hooper. L: Loar. 3B: Velasco (DLS), Mcadoo (DLS), Weisenberg (SRV). Records: De La Salle 21-7, San Ramon Valley 20-8. Highlights: DLS -- Hooper 5i»¿1/3 IP, ER, H, 4 K; Dondanville 2 for 3, 3 R, RBI; SRV -- Weisenberg 1 for 3, R, Kanat 1 for 3.

Originally posted by Streak One:
Has Hooper committed to UCLA?
Good question. Apparently the Times thinks so.

Certainly not out of the question, but this is the first I have heard of it.

That's a nice program, if he doesn't sign before ever setting foot on the campus. Good luck to Justin.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT