ADVERTISEMENT

Miramonte Showcase

basketba11

Sports Fanatic
Feb 17, 2017
Can someone post the game schedule for this weekend at the Elite Showcase at Miramonte?

I've got to give Kelly Sopak credit for an impressive lineup:

9 a.m.: Las Lomas vs. Lincoln (Stockton) -- OK, no need to get up that early, really.

10:30 a.m.: No. 9 St. Mary's of Stockton vs. Bishop Manogue -- Bishop Manogue showed well at the Jamboree and if Kenna Holt is back, will be even better. And maybe Amaya Oliver gets on the court for SMS.

Noon: No. 11 Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. No. 16 Bishop O'Dowd -- great matchup between two gritty, talented teams that play hard all the time.

1:30 p.m.: No. 6 Heritage vs. No. 10 McClatchy -- How good is Heritage really? How good is McClatchy really? Much will be revealed.

3:30 p.m. (note the two-hour break here): No. 5 Miramonte vs. No. 14 Folsom -- Katie Harris is 6-6. Miramonte has no one 6-0.

5 p.m.: No. 4 Carondelet vs. No. 8 St. Joseph Notre Dame -- last year, St. Joe's put itself on the map with an upset win over Carondelet in the Miramonte gym. Will the aroma of revenge flavor this game?

6:30 p.m.: No. 3 Salesian vs. No. 2 Mitty -- Haley Jones (Stanford) vs. Angel Jackson (USC) in a Pac-12 preview. Oh, and all the other players are really good too.

8 p.m.: No. 18 St. Patrick St. Vincent vs. Castro Valley -- Did you know SPSV has lost only to Salesian?

That's 12 of the top 20 teams in one spot on one day ... should be something special.

9 a.m.: Las Lomas vs. Lincoln (Stockton) -- OK, no need to get up that early, really.

10:30 a.m.: No. 9 St. Mary's of Stockton vs. Bishop Manogue -- Bishop Manogue showed well at the Jamboree and if Kenna Holt is back, will be even better. And maybe Amaya Oliver gets on the court for SMS.

Noon: No. 11 Sacred Heart Cathedral vs. No. 16 Bishop O'Dowd -- great matchup between two gritty, talented teams that play hard all the time.

1:30 p.m.: No. 6 Heritage vs. No. 10 McClatchy -- How good is Heritage really? How good is McClatchy really? Much will be revealed.

3:30 p.m. (note the two-hour break here): No. 5 Miramonte vs. No. 14 Folsom -- Katie Harris is 6-6. Miramonte has no one 6-0.

5 p.m.: No. 4 Carondelet vs. No. 8 St. Joseph Notre Dame -- last year, St. Joe's put itself on the map with an upset win over Carondelet in the Miramonte gym. Will the aroma of revenge flavor this game?

6:30 p.m.: No. 3 Salesian vs. No. 2 Mitty -- Haley Jones (Stanford) vs. Angel Jackson (USC) in a Pac-12 preview. Oh, and all the other players are really good too.

8 p.m.: No. 18 St. Patrick St. Vincent vs. Castro Valley -- Did you know SPSV has lost only to Salesian?

That's 12 of the top 20 teams in one spot on one day ... should be something special.

I may have to attend. All my supporters and haters can seek me out for an autograph, handshake, or a verbal debate. Or just to relax and enjoy several good games with me. I agree with Clay to give props to Kelly on a really good lineup. Perhaps us know it alls can start making predictions on the game results.

I'll start it off......

Lincoln over Los Lomas
SMS over Bishop Manogue
SHC and Odowd may go into overtime, flip a coin if #4 Holland back & healthy. If not SHC.
Heritage over McClatchy But it might also go to overtime and need a coin flip.
Clet has been good at making the right adjustments this season and are much harder to game plan for. Might be impacted also by Pinewood game on 1/9/19. Clet over SJND
MM in a squeaker over Folsom (did Katie Harris red shirt? I thought she graduated)
Big test for Mitty. But coaching and discipline matters. Refs call it tight, Mitty. Let them play, who knows? Salesian will miss Chinn again. Mitty and Pinewood are perhaps the two most discipline teams in Norcal. All intangibles favors Mitty.
I'll take St. Patrick's. I think Castro Valley graduated 1 or 2 keys too many.

Best wishes to all the teams. May they all stay or get healthy and keep improving. Enjoy the games !

Last edited:
Reactions: basketba11
This is an incredible lineup and I love the match-ups.
Lincoln over LL-definitely too early, LOL. I love the two 6 footers on Lincoln-6'2 freshman Shelton and 6'0 sophomore Cabuena going to be very very good in the next couple years.
SMS over BM-too much speed for BM (side note:St Marys plays Heritage tomorrow night-could lose 3 in a row for first time ever)
SHC/Odowd and Heritage/McClatchy and Miramonte/Folsom- these 3 games worth the price of admission, could be coin flips for these games. Heritage seeking revenge for last 2 years losses to McClatchy. Katie Harris is younger sister of Shayley Harris who graduated last year, can Folsom's size control MM's 3 point shooting?-could winners of these NCS/SJS games go to Open?
CLet over SJND-I think way too much size for SJND to handle.
Mitty over Salesian-this game alone worth the price of admission! With the Mitty transfers getting a few games under their belt, this team ready to start rolling.
St Pats over Castro Valley-no one can stop Sadler.

Reactions: Paytc
This is an incredible lineup and I love the match-ups.
Lincoln over LL-definitely too early, LOL. I love the two 6 footers on Lincoln-6'2 freshman Shelton and 6'0 sophomore Cabuena going to be very very good in the next couple years.
SMS over BM-too much speed for BM (side note:St Marys plays Heritage tomorrow night-could lose 3 in a row for first time ever)
SHC/Odowd and Heritage/McClatchy and Miramonte/Folsom- these 3 games worth the price of admission, could be coin flips for these games. Heritage seeking revenge for last 2 years losses to McClatchy. Katie Harris is younger sister of Shayley Harris who graduated last year, can Folsom's size control MM's 3 point shooting?-could winners of these NCS/SJS games go to Open?
CLet over SJND-I think way too much size for SJND to handle.
Mitty over Salesian-this game alone worth the price of admission! With the Mitty transfers getting a few games under their belt, this team ready to start rolling.
St Pats over Castro Valley-no one can stop Sadler.

basketba 11,

The only comment you made I question is "Clet has too much size for SJND". Clet had as much or more size last season and it really came down to momentum swings and Clet's in effectiveness in running an effective half court offense. Good coaches, which SJND has, know how to adjust game plans to neutralize size disadvantages. Last season SJND just paid attention to the obvious
game plan and habits Clet used game after game and that kept the game close enough for them to pull off the upset. That predictability and lack of attention to overall "team" improvement really frustrated me the past four seasons. And it is probably ( along with loving my team to win) is what has motivated me to speak out this season on behalf of Clet taking the necessarily steps to become a better team in March than they are in November. I offered, never forced suggestions and input to the prior staff. But they ignored my offered suggestions but they preferred to used their own IMO ineffective style, philosophy, and system. A system that ended each season with the same team in March that the team had in November. 1,2,3.4,....

That is the number of seconds it will take for my critics to respond to the convo and response I'm waiting for to hear back from you basketba 11. I totally welcome others response. But it is most welcomed after the person I'm addressing responds.

Last edited:
I offered my input to the prior staff

Oh no... you were THAT parent??? I thought you came on here to vent to avoiding being THAT parent..

word of advice to the posters that have kids playing currently or in the future.. never be THAT parent...

Thanks for the advice OnBall, LOL, too funny.

Paytc-only took 5 minutes for a response. I'll break down this game a little more in depth then if you like. With so many games on the docket, I could only really limit myself to one small comment about each game. Let me start off by saying I have not seen CLET or SJND play this year yet. But I did see them both last year. I know you are a CLET expert and have seen them play many times over the years. You are right, they have the same size as last year, only lost Walton and Dwiggins. SJND is a very small team, very guard dominated, with very good ball handlers and shooters. Their main inside presence last year Nunn graduated, and she played a big role in their defeat of CLET last season. Without Nunn, and without Nilsson out injured for the year, I think SJND will struggle with CLETs size. In their 2 losses to Salesian and MD, these 2 teams have a lot of size as well. That is why I made this comment. CLET is obviously favored in this game just like last year. If SJND would win this game, it would be an upset. But obviously it is not out of the question. That is why they play the game.

Oh no... you were THAT parent??? I thought you came on here to vent to avoiding being THAT parent..

word of advice to the posters that have kids playing currently or in the future.. never be THAT parent...
If you are be yourself, tell the truth and never be ashamed of being truthful.

I knew it wouldn't take long for the peanut gallery and haters to replay.LOL....my side hurts:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice OnBall, LOL, too funny.

Paytc-only took 5 minutes for a response. I'll break down this game a little more in depth then if you like. With so many games on the docket, I could only really limit myself to one small comment about each game. Let me start off by saying I have not seen CLET or SJND play this year yet. But I did see them both last year. I know you are a CLET expert and have seen them play many times over the years. You are right, they have the same size as last year, only lost Walton and Dwiggins. SJND is a very small team, very guard dominated, with very good ball handlers and shooters. Their main inside presence last year Nunn graduated, and she played a big role in their defeat of CLET last season. Without Nunn, and without Nilsson out injured for the year, I think SJND will struggle with CLETs size. In their 2 losses to Salesian and MD, these 2 teams have a lot of size as well. That is why I made this comment. CLET is obviously favored in this game just like last year. If SJND would win this game, it would be an upset. But obviously it is not out of the question. That is why they play the game.

Thanks for providing more insight than I had. I have Clet favored also as I had them favored last year. But perhaps they won't be able to matchup as well with the person you said graduating. I also know they have had some injuries. Too bad a key player is out for the year. Because I had them along with Heritage being a couple of teams (there are a few more obviously) to look out for this season. Your insight and information will give me more to consider before seeing the actual game. I do think Clet could also be effected by playing such a big game against Pinewood just shortly before the SJND game. Win or lose Pinewood might take a lot out of Clet.

Sure would be nice to let the last staff and others speak for themselves.
HA! says the guy who has consistently bashed them for a year+???

are you seriously that hypocritical? Or just that delusional??

poor baby.

was the advice offered in your capacity as Disgruntled Parent, Bleacher Coach, or both?

No if you were to speak with Elgin he would tell you I was a very supportive and concerned parent. One who only offered to help in anyway I could. And was quick to back off yet still support when I was told my advice or support may or may not have been needed. I waited in support and patiently until my daughter's senior season before really even offering the advice and or additional support. Many not just myself wanted to get one ( a state championship or Open division win) on the way out the door as it was the last shot. But any of my support he needed ( filming games, scouting teams, rides for players, bringing food, keeping score, ticket at the door sales etc) was offered from the very first season. And you would have to have been in house to know all that went on and the great attitude myself, our family, and our child displayed. Uninformed folks on the outside really don't matter. Because those within and close to the team know what went on.

Last edited:
Do you know each other personally? You guys really need to hug

No. Im sure he and many others know who I am. I don't hide who I am and am never hard to find. I don't know the 2 or 3 critics that love me so much they follow me like we're on twitter or instagram. But I just look at it as keeping the blog from being boring. I can man up and handle it all. I'm not too big to be wrong and not too small to speak out. Because I consistently do them both.

Last edited:
Wow, don't sleep on this board. first a great line up of games. Bummed Pinewood could not make it this year. Pinewood's league added two games that has limited their ability to play additional non league games like this. second, a parent should never offer advice to a staff unless it is requested. I like Paytc on this board but that is over the top. Third the new staff seems to have the ship corrected and it will be a much better game this year. I am expecting Carondelet to win this game but hopeful the Panthers can get it done.

Reactions: Paytc and OnBall8
Wow, don't sleep on this board. first a great line up of games. Bummed Pinewood could not make it this year. Pinewood's league added two games that has limited their ability to play additional non league games like this. second, a parent should never offer advice to a staff unless it is requested. I like Paytc on this board but that is over the top. Third the new staff seems to have the ship corrected and it will be a much better game this year. I am expecting Carondelet to win this game but hopeful the Panthers can get it done.

That is yours and many other people's take on it. And how you and perhaps many others think about authority. I can respect that. But I only bow down to immortal beings not flawed men or women. I've never been a robot or a follower. So love or hate it I always have been a trailblazer and independent thinker. Im gonna be who I am. And one who has never been afraid of challenging the norm, dogmas, or authority. Everyone else can stay in their place. I like to keep expanding boundaries. Especially when deemed necessary as no humans, systems, or circumstances are perfect. Everyone has to be the same and follow all the rules and norms of man is such a joke to me. I guess that's why rules keep changing as do many norms and customs once enough people align with one another for the better of all. We certainly don't think on many issue the same in 2019 as we once did in 1926.

And I never forced advice on anyone. But was asked to give it at a time or two.

Last edited:
That is yours and many other people's take on it. And how you and perhaps many others think about authority. I can respect that. But I only bow down to immortal beings not flawed men or women. I've never been a robot or a follower. So love or hate it I always have been a trailblazer and independent thinker. And one who has never been afraid of challenging the norm.
see I try to ignore you but you just say things that warrant being called out on...

you have to realize this does not make you a trailblazer or an independent thinker of any kind. Parents in sports have been doing this since the beginning of time, that is far from being a trailblazer... From a coaching standpoint (which is the side I have experience with and stand with) it just makes you a PITA...

see I try to ignore you but you just say things that warrant being called out on...

you have to realize this does not make you a trailblazer or an independent thinker of any kind. Parents in sports have been doing this since the beginning of time, that is far from being a trailblazer... From a coaching standpoint (which is the side I have experience with and stand with) it just makes you a PITA...

I can look my self in the face and sleep very well at night. And only God's judgement of me matters. If I had a chance to do things all over again I wouldn't change much. Sure far from perfect. But..... I'm too happy, cause God loves me !

Last edited:
Did you say you expect Carondelet to beat Pinewood? Can you expand on that? Does home court present an advantage to Carondelet? I would love to hear some insight to this game tomorrow night? Paytc, will size make a difference against Pinewood?

That is yours and many other people's take on it. And how you and perhaps many others think about authority. I can respect that. But I only bow down to immortal beings not flawed men or women. I've never been a robot or a follower. So love or hate it I always have been a trailblazer and independent thinker. Im gonna be who I am. And one who has never been afraid of challenging the norm, dogmas, or authority. Everyone else can stay in their place. I like to keep expanding boundaries. Especially when deemed necessary as no humans, systems, or circumstances are perfect. Everyone has to be the same and follow all the rules and norms of man is such a joke to me. I guess that's why rules keep changing as do many norms and customs once enough people align with one another for the better of all.

Are you crazy? It is your daughter's coach and your daughter's team. That is no different than your wife parading into your place of employment and telling your bosses what they are doing wrong and to offer her advice to them unsolicited.

I would ask yourself a very simple question: What did or do the other parents at Carondelet think of you and your actions? I would follow up that question with: Has your involvement both in person with the coaches at Carondelet or passively on message boards helped or hurt your daughter and her overall experience at Carondelet? I would finally ask that you take note the next time you step into a gym when Carondelet is playing and see how you are treated. My bet (no knowledge here) is the same way you were treated when your daughter played, like an outcast and then ask yourself how did that make my daughter feel? I'm sure you are a great guy but some of this stuff is just downright foolish and puts a whole new spin on helicopter parenting.

Reactions: OnBall8
That is yours and many other people's take on it. And how you and perhaps many others think about authority. I can respect that. But I only bow down to immortal beings not flawed men or women. I've never been a robot or a follower. So love or hate it I always have been a trailblazer and independent thinker. Im gonna be who I am. And one who has never been afraid of challenging the norm, dogmas, or authority. Everyone else can stay in their place. I like to keep expanding boundaries. Especially when deemed necessary as no humans, systems, or circumstances are perfect. Everyone has to be the same and follow all the rules and norms of man is such a joke to me. I guess that's why rules keep changing as do many norms and customs once enough people align with one another for the better of all. We certainly don't think on many issue the same in 2019 as we once did in 1926.

haha good to see you go back and edit your post a half hour after posting... maybe think before you type and you wont have to go back and edit a short post into an even lengthier, long winded response filled with nonsense

Did you say you expect Carondelet to beat Pinewood? Can you expand on that? Does home court present an advantage to Carondelet? I would love to hear some insight to this game tomorrow night? Paytc, will size make a difference against Pinewood?
I think the size will take a toll on Pinewood. Pinewood is not deep and the officiating is not going to allow the normal displacement that Pinewood likes to get away with. Follow me on this, Carondelet is a far tougher opponent for Pinewood than Salesian. They have multiple bigs and better perimeter scoring. Now, Salesian is better than Carondelet head to head because I think they neutralize the interior game. Bamberger will live at the line against Pinewood. The advantage for Pinewood is Carondelet will struggle to defend as PW will constantly have an advantage on the floor.

Foul trouble can always be an issue but two quick fouls on a pinewood starter and it could be over quick. Carondelet has more depth, not only in total numbers but by position. I think the odds are in favor of Carondelet. if you were tell me the game is called loose and no foul issues either way, I think PW shoots them out of the gym.

Carondelet has also played a very similar opponent in Miramonte and while PW is better at least the blue print against them will likely be similar. PW has not faced something like Carondelet.

I can look my self in the face and sleep very well at night. And only God's judgement of me matters. If I had a chance to do things all over again I wouldn't change much. Sure far from perfect. But..... I'm too happy, cause God loves me !
So you only care about god? You don't care about your wife, your family and loved ones? I always get a kick when people go to the god card when referring to judgement as if god is actually going to talk to you and tell you that posting nonsense on a message board is hurting your family.

Let me ask you this, let us say hypothetically that god was not happy with you and your actions toward the coaches at carondelet and your post on public message boards about your daughters basketball team. how would he, GOD let you know? Would he strike you down with lightening? Would he walk you up from a deep sleep and only talk to you about it? Or would he give those that love you the power and courage to kindly say to you not to do those things to please take a back seat and let your daughter enjoy your experience. or would he give someone like me the courage to type on a message board and express my frustration in hopes that you will see the light.

God works in mysterious ways and yes he does love you as he loves me and everyone reading this message. We are his children, therefore we are brothers. God bless

Size didn't make a difference when basically the same size was used last season against Pinewood only to end up scrambling for answers that weren't found by the end of a 30 point defeat to Pinewood.

Let me try to clarify my perspective on size. Size is a luxury not a necessity. If you have it of course it is great. But having it and knowing when, where, and how to use it game by game, and circumstance by circumstance matters. Because all games and all circumstances are different. And some coaches and some teams prepare and adjust to match ups differently. I always like to say each game has a unique personality. You can play the same team 10 times and you may or may not get the same result. But you will get a different game because they all take place under at least a slightly different space and time.

Personally from what I know about Pinewood, from it's players to its coaching, Clet's size won't keep Pinewood from playing its game. What will keep Pinewood from playing its game (and it won't even keep them from playing their game but just make it a bit harder) is getting out on the perimeter to challenge and/ or deny their outside effectiveness. And being able to run in transition with them. Pinewood won't kill Clet or any other team inside. But they are quick, smart, fundamentally sound enough, and prepared to hold their own inside. And the real advantage in the game is Pinewood typically won't beat themselves as much. And they will get balanced scoring more often especially in tougher games than say a Clet team (who is very close to taking the next step) will.

For Clet to beat teams like Mitty and Pinewood they will need to play a near perfect game and/ or catch Mitty or Pinewood a bit off on there's. To better the chances of playing a near perfect game it typically takes getting off to a good start. Matching up early matters. So the starting lineup or subbing in the right rotation ( if necessary soon enough, if what you have on the floor is working regardless to size roll the momentum out fully)) might give Clet the best chance to set the best tone early. Getting behind Pinewood or Mitty is not an ideal position. But most importantly staying within striking distance and out of foul trouble might be even more important than jumping out to a lead. If Clet plays a near perfect game ( includes hitting foul shots and easy put backs) they have a good shot to pull the upset. Especially if the defense is out challenging the perimeter well at the same time. But they will have to out play and match the coaching adjustments more so than rely only on their size advantage IMO.

Clet's depth advantage in some games can be more valuable than their size advantage. Especially when they remember they have both luxuries. CLet has both size and depth they can call upon. So they can run more transition and quicker defense. Or slow down and work a half court offense. Depending on what is working at the time. Since IMO basketball is a game of runs and momentum. Sorry for the mini story-book. But that is about half of what I think before tip off.:)

Last edited:
So you only care about god? You don't care about your wife, your family and loved ones? I always get a kick when people go to the god card when referring to judgement as if god is actually going to talk to you and tell you that posting nonsense on a message board is hurting your family.

Let me ask you this, let us say hypothetically that god was not happy with you and your actions toward the coaches at carondelet and your post on public message boards about your daughters basketball team. how would he, GOD let you know? Would he strike you down with lightening? Would he walk you up from a deep sleep and only talk to you about it? Or would he give those that love you the power and courage to kindly say to you not to do those things to please take a back seat and let your daughter enjoy your experience. or would he give someone like me the courage to type on a message board and express my frustration in hopes that you will see the light.

God works in mysterious ways and yes he does love you as he loves me and everyone reading this message. We are his children, therefore we are brothers. God bless

I'd love to get deeper and discuss more of my views. Anyone who is really interested can email me. Because I don't speak in PC language which makes it hard for most to relate to me on a message board. I dont personally think God deals in fear or hypotheticals. Those like time IMO are man made concepts. Feel free to reach out directly one on one if interested.

bhaps1@netzero.com

I'd love to get deeper and discuss more of my views. Anyone who is really interested can email me. Because I don't speak in PC language which makes it hard for most to relate to me on a message board. I dont personally think God deals in fear or hypotheticals. Those like time IMO are man made concepts. Feel free to reach out directly one on one if interested.

bhaps1@netzero.com

you've touted your book but not your rap career?!?! We've been missing out! I don't know why you provided your personal email but thank you... seriously thank you :D

Reactions: TigerStancil
Heritage vs McClatchy should be good. Very the Lions are flying after dominating the SoCal Holiday Prep Classic. They may not be 100% come Saturday so the underclassmen will have to step up.

The formula for beating Pinewood is not rocket science: Don't turn the ball over and pray to The Almighty they shoot 10 percent on treys.

The formula for beating Pinewood is not rocket science: Don't turn the ball over and pray to The Almighty they shoot 10 percent on treys.
There's definitely more you can do defensively to help yourself out than just praying. There are certain 3's (and ways of creating those 3's) that they like and are better at shooting than others. Take those away first and then pray they shoot the others poorly, but most coaches aren't great at pinpointing tendencies especially when they are hard for the average person to recognize.

I'd be mortified to appear to be a cheapskate. how to access "New Year's Special"? seem to find only regular monthly/annual fees.

2 hour break....why?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT