ADVERTISEMENT

Mitty 74 Menlo 37

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
Hate to base anything on just one game, but it's fair to say that rumors of Mitty's demise (and of Menlo's ascension) may have been greatly exaggerated.

I was at the game. Mitty looked very very good. Sharon Nejad scored more than 5 points. The current MaxPreps game stats (by a Mitty scorekeeper) are inaccurate for Menlo players.

Well I hope the bay area news group takes note of that game. As well as those who thought this was Menlo's year to take down Pinewood.

Well I hope the bay area news group takes note of that game. As well as those who thought this was Menlo's year to take down Pinewood.
Just a lack of research. They ranked Menlo ahead of Mitty. You just have to know a half of a % about the landscape of Women's basketball to know how ridiculous that is.

Reactions: BayTongan650
Just a lack of research. They ranked Menlo ahead of Mitty. You just have to know a half of a % about the landscape of Women's basketball to know how ridiculous that is.
Exactly, Darren has been around for long enough.. he should know.. I guess he has been too caught up in football for now..

Equity-based CIF hoops titles are very deceptive. Menlo's 2019 crown was in Division II, two very big steps below the Open and Division I. Some in the media see "state championship" on the resume' and make a false assumption that, gee, a CIF banner is a big deal. Not so much anymore, not in the Equity Era.

Equity-based CIF hoops titles are very deceptive. Menlo's 2019 crown was in Division II, two very big steps below the Open and Division I. Some in the media see "state championship" on the resume' and make a false assumption that, gee, a CIF banner is a big deal. Not so much anymore, not in the Equity Era.
Mitty also played another "state champion" from 2019 on Tuesday.. Oakland Tech.. I think the score was somewhere in the realm of 80-30..

Well, so much for Mitty and Pinewood being down this year. Or is too early to tell? There are just some programs that will reload and have new talent ready to step up and become the next big name. Plus we all know COACHING matters. So much for Mitty struggling without Hunter Hernandez. I'm not sure anyone in NorCal will be able to compete with. Luckily, we will see how they stack up against the top teams in AZ. Then get to see how they do in Platinum of WCJ. And also get to see how they play against SJND and BOD in the New Year. In years past, there has been such a big drop off between the top couple of teams and the rest of the field. Think we thought that might change this year, but maybe not. I believe SJND and BOD can give them some good competition, at least I hope so! In my opinion, all 3 have a good shot to be Open teams this season.

Well, so much for Mitty and Pinewood being down this year. Or is too early to tell? There are just some programs that will reload and have new talent ready to step up and become the next big name. Plus we all know COACHING matters. So much for Mitty struggling without Hunter Hernandez. I'm not sure anyone in NorCal will be able to compete with. Luckily, we will see how they stack up against the top teams in AZ. Then get to see how they do in Platinum of WCJ. And also get to see how they play against SJND and BOD in the New Year. In years past, there has been such a big drop off between the top couple of teams and the rest of the field. Think we thought that might change this year, but maybe not. I believe SJND and BOD can give them some good competition, at least I hope so! In my opinion, all 3 have a good shot to be Open teams this season.
Mitty's issues are seldom in December or January but rather late February and March. Mitty's wins and the manner in which they won clearly shows the difference from an open team and a d2 and below team. Those are not state titles. D2 state champion is at best the #23 in Nor Cal and Mitty exploited that gap. Oakland Tech even more so.

I think there are two factors for the BS pre season polls/hype as it relates to these two teams.Mitty lost the best player in nation and second best player to injury.Menlo? as said above won a " state title" that really had them as the 50-60th best team in state(16 in open/32 in div 1 ahead of them).menlo's players are overrated because of schedule they played last year( lost to every good team they played) If you are an upper echolon team you dont lose to anyone by 37. Anyone. the bigger issue is how down is the WCAL this year if the pre season 2nd place favorite VC gets blown out by Menlo and Menlo waxed by Mitty?

Mitty's issues are seldom in December or January but rather late February and March. =.

I agree 100% with this. Someone above said they didn't miss Hunter Hernandez. Yes, they don't need her now. They will need her in the playoffs if/when they are down by 2 and need a bucket to tie or win it.

I think there are two factors for the BS pre season polls/hype as it relates to these two teams.Mitty lost the best player in nation and second best player to injury.Menlo? as said above won a " state title" that really had them as the 50-60th best team in state(16 in open/32 in div 1 ahead of them).menlo's players are overrated because of schedule they played last year( lost to every good team they played) If you are an upper echolon team you dont lose to anyone by 37. Anyone. the bigger issue is how down is the WCAL this year if the pre season 2nd place favorite VC gets blown out by Menlo and Menlo waxed by Mitty?

Even more telling, how down is the entire CCS girls' side of the hoops ledger?

Not so fast...I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's, Berkeley played a BAD ASS Handford team and got whooped by 30+. I remember watching and trying to remember if that EVER happened under coach Nak. They were one of the best teams in Norcal that year, going to a state final. Wins happen and bad losses happen to-it happens to the best of teams. Remember duke getting throttled by UNLV only to return the next year and upset the Rebels?

Menlo is a good team but lets say they may not an open caliber team.

Exactly, Darren has been around for long enough.. he should know.. I guess he has been too caught up in football for now..
Look at some of the teams They put into the top 25
Eastside prep ( 100 % based on rep) is Not good to be nice this year.
Palo Alto (number 10???? AHEAD of Heritage, Newman?) Are they high?
Valley Christian number 9?
According to them the CCS should be great this year

I don't know whether the rankings took into account Annika Shah's season-ending ACL tear. With her healthy, Palo Alto would be a rather interesting team.

Last edited:

no offense to any people on here that make the rankings but a lot of times those are based on name only and like someone mentioned, injuries can keep teams from playing to their potential. BOD last year was an "average" team with Holland out of the line up until mid-late january. Once she got healthy, they went on a great run. Rankings are in a lot of cases, a shot in the dark, especially when you get into the teens. Traditionally the top 5-10 are pretty consistent.

Sorry to say i knew this was going to happen to Menlo. They didn't have a chance. That's what happens when you believe the hype of false rankings. Prove it on the court

Eastside is garbage.

A note on Darren Sabedra's rankings: I can't say for sure, but at a certain level, there is pressure to make sure to include all regions in preseason and other rankings as a nod to the circulation area of the newspaper.

Darren's rankings apply to both the East Bay Times and Mercury-News so there's going to be some editor above him saying "We need to mention some South Bay teams" or "Why are there so many teams from other areas?"

We feel the same pressure doing the national rankings for MaxPreps, as it just doesn't seem right to have six teams from the DMV, say, in the top 25 and none from the Northeast -- even though those six DMV teams might be better.

By the end of the year, results will take over, but in preseason, there's sometimes more to the story (literally) than a pure ranking.

the bigger issue is how down is the WCAL this year if the pre season 2nd place favorite VC gets blown out by Menlo and Menlo waxed by Mitty?
Yea I never understood why VC was the next highest ranked WCAL team. They are not going to be good this year, they are very young. I would expect 2nd place to go to a city team, I would lean towards SI with Rachel Harvey leading the way. The second place team could be floating around .500 in league again this year.

Who said VC was preseason 2nd in WCAL? I don't think VC is beating SI or SHC. They might not beat SF or Pres either.

I'm not sure anyone in NorCal will be able to compete with. Luckily, we will see how they stack up against the top teams in AZ. Then get to see how they do in Platinum of WCJ. And also get to see how they play against SJND and BOD in the New Year.
Exactly this... lets not get ahead of ourselves here.. this is more about the misranking of Menlo and the gap that still exists in the CCS, but AM is far from proving they are the best in NorCal. They could easily enter league play around .500 with the schedule they have coming up and not really have lost a "bad game".. this will be a very telling couple weeks for our NorCal pecking order but I don't expect anyone to come out unscathed

Reactions: basketba11
Exactly this... lets not get ahead of ourselves here.. this is more about the misranking of Menlo and the gap that still exists in the CCS, but AM is far from proving they are the best in NorCal. They could easily enter league play around .500 with the schedule they have coming up and not really have lost a "bad game".. this will be a very telling couple weeks for our NorCal pecking order but I don't expect anyone to come out unscathed

Early season games can be a bit misleading. Mitty, not discounting their talent level, essentially stays intact year round with virtually all of their players staying together in the Cagers AAU circuit. They obviously are far and away way ahead of teams early in the season. The true test will come after the first of the year and on in to the post season.

They obviously are far and away way ahead of teams early in the season. The true test will come after the first of the year and on in to the post season.
You don't think the top bracket at the TOC and the top bracket at the WCJ are true tests?? I don't think they will be "far and away" ahead of a lot of teams in those brackets. Again, locally? Sure way ahead.. but their goal isn't to be the best in the CCS, or the bay area...

You don't think the top bracket at the TOC and the top bracket at the WCJ are true tests?? I don't think they will be "far and away" ahead of a lot of teams in those brackets. Again, locally? Sure way ahead.. but their goal isn't to be the best in the CCS, or the bay area...

I was referring to games against the Bay Area teams. No doubt they will get tested on a national level against programs that are comparable to their own

Reactions: OnBall8
Mitty has beaten four teams that will be in NorCals by 50 points each. And it's quite possible they will reach the finals of the Joe Smith Division of the TOC, as well as the Platinum in the Jamboree.

Granted, they play together year-round, but that was as impressive a performance as I've seen from a Mitty team last week at Miramonte.

WCAL is not going to be as strong this year. Mitty will roll through league and their season as usual. SI will probably come in second. After that it will probably be a toss up between VC and SHC. Cathredal lost their PG and VC is young. Presentation is not very good this year and SF is young.

I think Menlo did well considering. Mitty is just a well coached, well prepared, and superior conditioned team. They have Williams and Langi to get a bucket when they need one. The only team I see giving them a good run for Norcal will be SMS. Although you never know with Pinewood and their top notch coaching staff. Anything is possible when they are burying their 3s. Looks like Pinewood will take the WBAL again.

I guess you can say girls hoops is down this year across the board.

CCS open this year. mitty-pinewood-SI-SHC-Menlo-SF-VC-SHP

Could be the year for SHP to make it to open. They will play hard for their new coach and have a good amount of talent in their starting 5. I think Pres over SF, but it's a toss up between the bottom 3 wcal schools (VC, SF, Pres).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT