ADVERTISEMENT

Nike TOC Scores for Norcal Teams

TheHillZ

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Dec 4, 2018
Good start

Mitty 62 Miami Country Day 35. Very tough for any team that hasn't seen Mitty before to deal with its pressure. Actually, it's plenty tough for teams that have seen it too. Mitty missed an unusual number of inside shots, so it was not a rout. But the monarchs still won decisively by forcing a ton of turnovers.

Carondelet 62 West Linn (Or) 52

St Marys Stockton 56 Mission Hills (San Diego) 38. Was just a one point game at half. Mission Hills plays tough D and St. Mary's couldn't hit outside shots. St. Mary's superior athleticism was the difference in the second half.

Last edited:
Reactions: Streak One
Mesquite (AZ) 55 Salesian 51 *Second* loss for the Pride. Gave up a lot of layups and offensive rebounds, but came back from 13 down to cut it to three at the end.

Last edited:
Day 2 Schedule:

Vincent Cannizzaro:

Mitty vs. Xavier College Prep-AZ
Folsom vs. St. Francis-GA

Joe Smith:

Bishop O'Dowd vs. Cherokee Trail-CO
St. Mary's-Stockton vs. Desert Vista-AZ

John Anderson:

Carondelet vs. Corona Centennial
Salesian vs. Perry-AZ

Derril Kipp:

Whitney vs. Mesa-AZ

Top division of play at TOC is of course no joke. Must come prepared to play. Upsets> #2 in country IMG goes down in defeat on day 1 to Lone Peak of Utah while #13 Mater Dei losses badly by 19 to some team called Crestwood Prep that I can't find on MaxPreps and don't know who / what / where they are. Now IMG and Mater Dei play each other today on the wrong side of the bracket and one of those two programs will be 0-2 in Arizona by the end of the day.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Top division of play at TOC is of course no joke. Must come prepared to play. Upsets> #2 in country IMG goes down in defeat on day 1 to Lone Peak of Utah while #13 Mater Dei losses badly by 19 to some team called Crestwood Prep that I can't find on MaxPreps and don't know who / what / where they are. Now IMG and Mater Dei play each other today on the wrong side of the bracket and one of those two programs will be 0-2 in Arizona by the end of the day.
Crestwood Prep is from Canada which is why they aren’t in Maxpreps. I couldn’t even find any information about the record on the schools website.

Reactions: ayalar09
Newsflash -- Mitty is very good. Won by 30 against previously 12-0 Xavier College Prep (AZ). They took the precise score down before I could catch it, but the margin could've been significantly greater.

Update 72-42 final

Last edited:
Crestwood Prep is from Canada which is why they aren’t in Maxpreps. I couldn’t even find any information about the record on the schools website.

Crestwood Prep is the no 1 girls high school basketball team in that country. Led by top 10 player Toby Fournier, who will be attending Duke next year. She’s well known on YouTube for her dunks.

Day 2 Schedule:

Vincent Cannizzaro:

Mitty vs. Xavier College Prep-AZ
Folsom vs. St. Francis-GA

Joe Smith:

Bishop O'Dowd vs. Cherokee Trail-CO
St. Mary's-Stockton vs. Desert Vista-AZ

John Anderson:

Carondelet vs. Corona Centennial
Salesian vs. Perry-AZ

Derril Kipp:

Whitney vs. Mesa-AZ
Mitty beat Xavier College Prep 72-42. Will play Crestwood Prep tonight

Folsom beat St. Francis-GA 74-56. Will play Hzael Green-AL this morning

St. Mary's-Stockton beat Desert Vista 57-53. Will play Windward today

Bishop O'Dowd lost to Cherokee Trail 61-47. Next up is Bishop Montgomery

Carondelet beat Corona Centennial 56-45. Will play Bob Jones-AL in the semis.

Salesian fell to 0-2 at the TOC. They lost to Perry-AZ 55-37.

Whitney beat Mesa 51-30

As of 1:15 p.m. Wednesday - 3rd round games:

Folsom beat Hazel Green (AL), 63-58. That's two wins for Folsom

Bishop O'Dowd lost to Bishop Montgomery (CA), 33-57. That's two losses for BOD.

Salesian lost to Millennium (AZ), 37-49. That's three losses for Salesian.

Whitney lost to Chatfield (CO), 55-70. That's two losses for Whitney.

Mitty leads Crestwood by 10 at half. Cheli has been terrific. Lead was 17+ when she sat for rest.

Mitty 69 Crestwood 55. Final.

It was no cake walk. Crestwood, led by Toby Fournier, came all the way back from 17 down to tie it in the third quarter. It's rare to see Mitty lose its composure like that. But Cheli would not let them lose. Brilliant passing/defense and key buckets.

Mitty matches up with Long Island Lutheran (nations consensus #1) tomorrow in the finals. Should be fun.

Reactions: carlmerritt
Final Day Early Scores:

Windward 65 - St. Mary's 62 (bit surprised by this one)

West Linn (Or 51 - Salesian 48 (0-4 trip for the Pride)

Denver East 62 - Whitney 41 (three losses for Whitney)

Mitty has to be the tallest/biggest girls high school team I’ve ever seen

It’s like every girl is above 6 feet.

Great win for Mitty and a really fun game to watch. So much skill on both sides. Couple takeaways:

Cheli drives the bus for Mitty. Can push tempo, excellent passer, scores in variety of ways and good rebounder.

McKenna did a very good job against Koval. She is constant energy, made a couple of mid range jumpers and has some of the best hands I’ve seen in HS.

Weisman and Beamer made a handful of nice plays and give Mitty more size and an inside/outside threat.

Tee McCarthy came in and gave some key minutes. The freshman is a very good athlete and made the defensive play that led to a key late jump ball that went back to Mitty.

Mitty should be the no 1 team in the country.

I don’t think any California team this year is going to be able to stay within 10 pts of them.

Presentation, a team in their conference might lose by 100 to them. That’s not a joke.

Not as many tough teams as TOC used to have compete but LuHi is still top tier!! Big win for Mitty. Maybe NorCal can get back in the Win column for the Open Division State playoffs. 🙏
Not sure what GBBall4L means by the first sentence there. According to the Nike TOC press release; "Participants in this year's tournament included the majority of the preseason top 10 ranked teams in the nation including MaxPreps #1 Long Island University (NY), #2 Montverde Academy (FL), #3 Archbishop Mitty (CA), #4 IMG Academy (FL), #6 Bishop McNamara (MD) and #7 Sacred Heart (KY)."

And along the path Mitty took, they had to beat the #1 ranked team in the state of AZ and the #1 team from the country of Canada. This before defeating what was the #1 team in the US. Not sure how or when a slate was "tougher" than this.

No way this accomplishment should be minimized with qualifiers in any form. This is a HUGE win for girls NorCal basketball and should be celebrated. Great job Mitty. Way to represent.

Not sure what GBBall4L means by the first sentence there. According to the Nike TOC press release; "Participants in this year's tournament included the majority of the preseason top 10 ranked teams in the nation including MaxPreps #1 Long Island University (NY), #2 Montverde Academy (FL), #3 Archbishop Mitty (CA), #4 IMG Academy (FL), #6 Bishop McNamara (MD) and #7 Sacred Heart (KY)."

And along the path Mitty took, they had to beat the #1 ranked team in the state of AZ and the #1 team from the country of Canada. This before defeating what was the #1 team in the US. Not sure how or when a slate was "tougher" than this.

No way this accomplishment should be minimized with qualifiers in any form. This is a HUGE win for girls NorCal basketball and should be celebrated. Great job Mitty. Way to represent.

Now that you've had your Sista Soulja moment, let's speak facts. I didn't minimize their win at all, and if you read my comment, I am rooting for them to win the Open Division State championship. But let's call it what it is. You have teams in the top TOC division that shouldn't even be there and you and I know this if you really know girls hoops. I won't say any names other than the names you already mentioned to prove my point.

You mentioned Xavier College Prep. They finished 16-13 last year, and I've never been sold on them. You shouldn't either. Arizona is the NOT hardest path and if you pay attention to the She Got Games tournaments etc back east as well as other tounaments outside of the westcoast the Canada teams don't do well even though they are good. I follow national girls hoops not just local or west coast

Last year Bishop McNamara had a good record 21-6 but lets look deeper. They lost every major game they played and even lost to a weak Paul VI late in the season. They haven't been the same since Sanyah Jah left and went to Monteverde lets be real. They are now 4-4 and if they play other tough games you will see what I'm talking about.

Monteverde lost to Bishop McNamara so I have doubts of how good they will be but it's early. They will be good dont get me wrong but losing to Bishop McNamara was a bad loss

IMG academy girls were 12-13 last year. This year they may be good but I will wait til later in the season see if they are for real. So far the past two seasons they never panned out.

Sacred Heart(KY) lost to MAter Dei of SAnta Ana in TOC so don't talk to me about how good they are.
These rankings can't possibly be the hand picked xcellent rankings because Mater Dei of Santa Ana should be nowhere near a national ranking.

If you follow National High SChool Girls basketball you know that rankings, Max Preps expecially put way too much weight on the schools on the other side of the country. And no one took anything away from Mitty because LuHi is a legit Power and WAS a legit #1 and Mitty beat them. I'm rooting for Mitty to bring home the open division championship for state this year. Not sure where you got downplayed their TOC victory. But lets keep it a buck. some of those teams didn't belong in that divison. But Mitty did a great job representing Norcal and I'm proud of that. They will continue to do a great job as they have always done. I'm the one on this thread always sticking up for Coach Phillips when a certain individual tries to trash her coaching. She is a great coach. But don't come for me unless you are ready to dig into the statistical data.

Reactions: AtomicDawg1911
Now that you've had your Sista Soulja moment, let's speak facts. I didn't minimize their win at all, and if you read my comment, I am rooting for them to win the Open Division State championship. But let's call it what it is. You have teams in the top TOC division that shouldn't even be there and you and I know this if you really know girls hoops. I won't say any names other than the names you already mentioned to prove my point.

You mentioned Xavier College Prep. They finished 16-13 last year, and I've never been sold on them. You shouldn't either. Arizona is the NOT hardest path and if you pay attention to the She Got Games tournaments etc back east as well as other tounaments outside of the westcoast the Canada teams don't do well even though they are good. I follow national girls hoops not just local or west coast

Last year Bishop McNamara had a good record 21-6 but lets look deeper. They lost every major game they played and even lost to a weak Paul VI late in the season. They haven't been the same since Sanyah Jah left and went to Monteverde lets be real. They are now 4-4 and if they play other tough games you will see what I'm talking about.

Monteverde lost to Bishop McNamara so I have doubts of how good they will be but it's early. They will be good dont get me wrong but losing to Bishop McNamara was a bad loss

IMG academy girls were 12-13 last year. This year they may be good but I will wait til later in the season see if they are for real. So far the past two seasons they never panned out.

Sacred Heart(KY) lost to MAter Dei of SAnta Ana in TOC so don't talk to me about how good they are.
These rankings can't possibly be the hand picked xcellent rankings because Mater Dei of Santa Ana should be nowhere near a national ranking.

If you follow National High SChool Girls basketball you know that rankings, Max Preps expecially put way too much weight on the schools on the other side of the country. And no one took anything away from Mitty because LuHi is a legit Power and WAS a legit #1 and Mitty beat them. I'm rooting for Mitty to bring home the open division championship for state this year. Not sure where you got downplayed their TOC victory. But lets keep it a buck. some of those teams didn't belong in that divison. But Mitty did a great job representing Norcal and I'm proud of that. They will continue to do a great job as they have always done. I'm the one on this thread always sticking up for Coach Phillips when a certain individual tries to trash her coaching. She is a great coach. But don't come for me unless you are ready to dig into the statistical data.
lmaoo... not sista soulja.. almost certain nobody on here knows who she is

@GBBall4L ... You said "the TOC did not have as many tough teams as they used to". That argument could be made. I've followed long enough to have seen Maya Moore and her squad do battle at the TOC. But even if we identify such a time period, its ultimately our opinions, not facts. I just don't see a reason to state such a (highly debatable) qualifier as it detracts from the accomplishment. Especially since we're both truly appreciative of what they just did for NorCal girls basketball. Fair?

@GBBall4L ... You said "the TOC did not have as many tough teams as they used to". That argument could be made. I've followed long enough to have seen Maya Moore and her squad do battle at the TOC. But even if we identify such a time period, its ultimately our opinions, not facts. I just don't see a reason to state such a (highly debatable) qualifier as it detracts from the accomplishment. Especially since we're both truly appreciative of what they just did for NorCal girls basketball. Fair?

It might have came across wrong but It wasn't to detract from Mitty because they beat LuHi and Long Island Lutheran in my opinion is a monster and was a legit #1. This would typically be a game that Mitty would fall short late in the 4th like they did against Etiwanda last year and to Clovis West in 2017. But they didn't and they found a way to gut it out.

My point was that I'm noticing more top teams opt not to participate in TOC for fear of losing early and we get teams there that are good on paper but are overrated. LuHi, Mitty are beasts in my opinion with some of others also being formidable. That statement wasnt meant to take away from the victory because I've watched LuHu for years and they are legit. To beat them says everything and that is why I put the emphasis on LuHi in that statement to give Mitty their props. This was a Big win for Mitty and for NorCal by proxy. But no other team in NorCal comes within 20-25 and the majority lose by 40 to Mitty unless Coach Phillips is letting her foot off the gas. And I don't believe SoCal has an answer for Mitty this year either either. And Like I said in the comment you took offense too hopefully NorCal can bring home the open division title this year. If they do that they could finish #1 in the nation.

I watched the last three Mitty games at the Nike TOC. All of those teams had more size inside than did the Monarchs. Mitty has good height for NorCal with four starters between 6-1 & 6-2. Xavier has a soph 6-4 center matched up with soph 6-2 Wolizcko. Their back-up post was 6-6. Crestwood had six "big" posts including the #9 player in Class of 2024, 6-3 Toby Fornier (headed to Duke). She was the first post that I thought outplayed Mitty's star. McKenna had to resort to fade away jumpers after getting her shots blocked. Last night, I thought Wolizcko outplayed the #6 rated player, 6-5 Koval (Notre Dame commit) in the 2024 class. LIL's guards kept scoring to keep the game close. One of their guards is rated #11 versus Morgan Cheli's #18 rating.

Tremendous championship game!

Reactions: GBBall4L
Just a bit of trivia - Maya Moore and her Collins Hill team played Danielle Robinson's Mitty team in 2006 at the TOC. Maya was one of a kind.

Last edited:
Dang...Mitty sure looked good.

The announcers kept talking about the depth of Lutheran and I kept thinking who cares if they are 12 deep with D1 girls..only 5 can play and you only really need 8 or so... which Mitty proved.

It's very disheartening to watch mitty with a stud frosh from Vallejo and stud soph from San Bruno and others on the bench from Sebastopol and other out of section cities and wonder how the he'll is anybody supposed to compete with that reach???

I've always said I will ALWAYS root for the California teams when playing out of state big dawgs...but Mitty makes it very difficult to stick to that.

Mitty should just be granted Norcal open rep like they so often do in football (DLS, Serra) ...so the rest of the good but not quite so good teams actually have a chance to play for a state title.

Reactions: cptmycpa

The announcers kept talking about the depth of Lutheran and I kept thinking who cares if they are 12 deep with D1 girls..only 5 can play and you only really need 8 or so... which Mitty proved.

It's very disheartening to watch mitty with a stud frosh from Vallejo and stud soph from San Bruno and others on the bench from Sebastopol and other out of section cities and wonder how the he'll is anybody supposed to compete with that reach???

I've always said I will ALWAYS root for the California teams when playing out of state big dawgs...but Mitty makes it very difficult to stick to that.

Mitty should just be granted Norcal open rep like they so often do in football (DLS, Serra) ...so the rest of the good but not quite so good teams actually have a chance to play for a state title.

That's an interesting point and something that I never thought of. In a year like this, Mitty is head and shoulders above the rest in Norcal. Would the selection committee ever consider giving the Norcal berth to a team because they're just that much better than the rest? I mean, there's a puncher chance that a team could upset like Pinewood did a few years ago, but that's a one-in-a-million chance (kind of like that night). I would love to hear all your thoughts That's a good question!

Reactions: cptmycpa

SoCal gets players from everywhere also they are just bigger geographically so it's more than one team that is dominant. Football at the open division pretty much gives the berth to the top team that win theirs section. In NorCal it's either Serra or De LA Salle. In SoCal it's either Bosco or Mater Dei. Basketball does more of a "March Madness" approach to state championships so I doubt they would just give the berth to a team. Open for NorCal will probably be
Folsom or St Mary's Stockton
SRVS
Maybe Bishop O Dowd
Clovis West
And of course Mitty will plow through everyone. But I'm probably way off.
And those Pinewood teams with Hannah Jump were great teams I doubt Pinewood can recreate that magic. They just ran into deeper socal teams. This year can be be different. Mitty looks the deepest but we will see how the cards play out. But I believe this is an opportune time for Mitty to close the show at Open Division.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT