ADVERTISEMENT

Montana St QB tranferring to Oregon

thehookup55

Sports Fanatic
Sep 8, 2012
Looks like the Norcal boys up in Eugene will get bumped down the depth chart again to due a graduate transfer. Lockie is going to be a senior and got benched after 3 series for a walk on redshirt soph in his first start. It has been put out there that Mahalak had a really bad redshirt year and he wasnt really in the conversation to get any playing time this year. He is only going to be a RS Sophomore though so he could compete and get on the field in the next few years. This is now back to back years with a graduate transfer coming in at Oregon. Makes you wonder if it is their new trend until they land a QB they really like.

Coaching tenure is based on winning, so if the staff misses on a recruit class, they need to fill the gap with the best available talent - some go the JC route - the grad transfer brings in a more seasoned player and affords the younger ones another year to develop - not a bad strategy, but overall rare to date.

Makes you wonder how they missed on many of these kids that are coming from programs like eastern wash and Montana state in the first place.

Makes you wonder how they missed on many of these kids that are coming from programs like eastern wash and Montana state in the first place.

They miss because in my opinion there's not much difference individually between most D1A and D1AA players. The biggest difference is D1A programs have 85 scholarships versus 63 in D1AA. That's the main reason good 1AA teams have a hard time beating 1A teams, depth of talent.

Coaching tenure is based on winning, so if the staff misses on a recruit class, they need to fill the gap with the best available talent - some go the JC route - the grad transfer brings in a more seasoned player and affords the younger ones another year to develop - not a bad strategy, but overall rare to date.

Scouts miss because they have no way of measuring the drive and heart of a player. These days it's all times, weight and height.

ummm. Steph Curry

Pretty interesting Class of '12 EBAL QBs. Two Elite 11 guys- when has that happened , two from the same league?!- with no sig PT in 4 years (juco doesn't count) and now the EBAL MVP passed over once again. Tough biz D1 FB.

Reactions: pantera-cat
Pretty interesting Class of '12 EBAL QBs. Two Elite 11 guys- when has that happened , two from the same league?!- with no sig PT in 4 years (juco doesn't count) and now the EBAL MVP passed over once again. Tough biz D1 FB.

Doesn't the ebal mvp being snubbed have a lot to do with grades?

I agree with everything you guys are saying.... You think a few guys missed on Scooby Wright coming out of Newman? Rich Rod looks like a genius on that one. Heart, drive, and a little talent will get you far in life.

But one this is for sure. If you are bringing in guys with 1 year of eligibility to start at QB you better re-evaluate your scouting process because something isn't right if you are missing on all these young guys.

Reactions: pantera-cat
Doesn't the ebal mvp being snubbed have a lot to do with grades?
Wearing the red hat for the Ducks as the backup means your grades are there.
If Oregon could get Adams to pass his flunked math class in Recreation Mgt the same week they started Fall practice in August, I doubt grades are the issue. Filling a Heisman winner's shoes is. It's all about the Ws at FBS elite level.
That being said, QB has the most complexity of every FB position. Experience counts, and intellect can supplant that.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunningRon
Adams hurt with Ducks up 31-0 at the half. Didn't catch the first out here in the 808. Frogs win in 3OT. Lockie not particularly sharp. TCU backup leads them to tie best comeback in bowl history.

Lockie was awful. Feel sorry for the kid. Put another year in and get degree. Poor choice to come to Oregon. Oregon had 2 bad recreuits that year. Jake Rodrigues and Lockie.

They should seriously look at the kid from Cardinal Newman. (Brookshire). I think they are already but from what I see they like kids that can do both. He fits that system perfectly. 6"2 200 lbs and can run/throw plus he's smart. Adams was a stud and they don't lose if he didn't get hurt.

Poor coaching cost the Ducks that game. Lockie was pretty bad. But up by that much they should have changed focus of the offense. Burn clock and ball control play keep away, don't try and run what you were running with Adams using Adams it's not a good fit.

They should seriously look at the kid from Cardinal Newman. (Brookshire). I think they are already but from what I see they like kids that can do both. He fits that system perfectly. 6"2 200 lbs and can run/throw plus he's smart. Adams was a stud and they don't lose if he didn't get hurt.

Still think his future will be at safety or another position as a athlete.

Reactions: slick58
Oregon should be looking to Contra Costa College QB Cameron Burston. This kid is going to be special. Not only Oregon,but EVERYONE

Oregon should be looking to Contra Costa College QB Cameron Burston. This kid is going to be special. Not only Oregon,but EVERYONE
Why did he end up at CCC after committing to SJSU? If it's grades, then "everyone" will not be taking a chance as transfers are looked to contribute immediately and coaches are unwilling to worry about class work.

As far as Lockie, Larry above states "Put another year in and get degree. Poor choice to come to Oregon." I disagree. When a premiere program recruits you, the family has to believe in the wisdom of the coaches (Chip Kelly in Lockie's case) and were probably looking for a "character kid" after Masoli became a burglar and pot smoker. How do you turn down an offer from a college whose HC was just AP coach of the year and the team finished #2 and #4 the two years before you arrived? Things didn't turn out very well but you're saying his early decision was poor? Not.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunningRon
He was put in a bad position at Stellar Prep; admin or whatever they have there, did not provide correct education to move on to the next level. Their bad. The kid is uber talented

Reactions: mshNASTY
Watched a few highlights online and he looks good. Reminds me of the QB Dixon from San Leandro a few years back.
Burston has rare talent he just hasn't been coached up like some of the other QB's coming out of Nor Cal. At Stellar Prep he was playing street football and in his first year at CCC he threw 28-3 TD to INT and completed around 65% of his passes. His release isn't great but it reminds me of Phillip Rivers, not pretty but very effective, can make all the throws. I played against Dixon, he was legit on one of the best teams in NorCal over the past 15-20 years. I think Dennis is a more polished QB as of their SR year in high school but he wasn't a "runner" until he got to Oregon where he was a Heisman candidate. I'd take Burston over Dixon so maybe streaks sacrastic prediction could come true.

Reactions: slick58
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT