ADVERTISEMENT

Monte VIsta goes to St. Mary’s - Stockton

kiddman32

Hall of Famer
Nov 25, 2012
After a massive traffic jam slowed me down bigtime, I arrived with a little over 4 minutes left in the freshmen game.

MV was leading by 5 at the time, but couldn’t hang on…. SMC won it on a 3-pointer with some 16 minutes left. MV’s attempts to tie came up short.

SMC frosh win by 3.

This is my first time in this gym, tho I have seen games online quite a few times.

Terrific little gym, and to my amzement they used the whole scoreboards for the freshmen game, all the basic stats for the players, points and fouls.

Said scoreboards are on the sides rather than the ends, which makes for easy viewing by fans (and bad typists like me).

The gym is probably no bigger than St’ Joe’s crackerbox, but there seems to be a good bit more seating, including a set of bleachers on one end.

Yeah, yeah, I’m a gym geek…. :)

12-4 in the JV game, SMS in front, early in the 2nd quarter.

17-4 now, about 7 minutes left in the half

Looks for a bit like momentum was shifting a little…. was up to 27-4 at one point but looked like MV might make a bit of a run and get within hailing distance by halftime…. but it didn’t turn out that way.

36-10 SMS at the half of the JV game.

SMC starters: #11 Daniela Huerta, #14 Cayden Ward, #20 Dominic Glero, #21 Jake Loebs, #31 Alex Perasso

MV starters: #2 Daniel Cojacaru, #3 Jacob Shehata, #24 Alex Long, #25 Max Nishikawa, #32 Collin Ellis

(That scoreboard is the BOMB!)

Reactions: M.C. fan
Perasso opens the scoring with 2 FT’s, 2-0.

Ward scores for SMS, is fouled…. FT no good. 4-0 SMC.

Shehata with the Eurostep for 2, 4-2 SMC.
SWAT by Long, leads to a score, 4-4.

Up and down hoops here, I can’t keep up already…. 6-all.

10-8 MV now after Travis Viera scores…. now 12-8 after Corbin Knight scores. Time out SMS, 3:05 left in the 1st.

Cayden Ward fouled, FT’s for SMS. Both good, 12-10.

Nishikawa fouled on the way up…. FT’s good, 14-10 MV. 1:19 left 1st.

Nice pass to Amir Matthews for a layin…. 14-12.

and that’s the quarter after an MV try goes awry. 14-12 MV.

MV steal to start the 2nd, and a foul. GREAT drive by Shehata, he gets hacked on the way. FT’s split. 15-12.

Huerta scores for SMC, almost gets a steal, but Collin Ellis lays one in…. and then Shehata hits a 3..STEAL, pass to Cojucaru, lays it in, SMS calls time. 21-14 Mustangs, 6:01 left in the half.

Mason Jamias nails a 3 for SMS, then an illegal screen called on MV (Not one I’d complain about).

Ward drives and scores…. 21-19.

SMS rebound, but Shata with a steal,,, drives, scores, fouled! FT is no good, 23-19.

Huearta goes up, fouled, FT’s split…. 23-20. Steal, pass to Huerta, spins, fouled on the way up. FT’s good, 23-22 MV.

Cayden Ward with a Grade A move to set uo a floater, 24-23 SMS.

3:33 left.

3-ball for William Weatherton, SMS up 27-23. And a bad pass gives it back to ‘em.

Steal by Nishikawa, goes to the hoop, is fouled…. FT’s good, 27-25.

Huerta fouled on a spin move going up…. FT’s both missed,MV rebound…

Corner 3 by Long! 28-27 MV, and they get a stop…

Shebata finds a lane, scores…. 30-29.

Huerta fouled, FT’s good, 31-30 SMS.

MV trying to get last shot, travels with 8 seconds left.

Ward goes hard to the hole, can’t score…. and that’s the half. 31-30 SMS Rams.

Pretty pass from Shehata to Ellis for a layup…. 32-31 Mustangs.

Foul on the other end, Perasso sinks one, misses the 2nd, then a jump ball, SMS has it…. corner 3 ends up stuck, MV ball.

Nishikawa hots a wing 3…. steal, Ellis fouled going to the hoop. 35-32, a pair of FT’s. One good. 36-32.

5:13 left in the 3rd.

MV gets it on a held ball…. Nice drive by Corbin Knight for a bucket, 38-32 MV. Time out SMS. 4:35 left.

Steal by Corbin Knight, rces down under the bucket, receives a pass for an easy score…. Heck of a play. Then he fouls on the other end. Huerat scores and hits the FT. 40-35.

Ward fouled on a drive, as he hits a runner…. FT is good…. 40-38 MV.

Great pass, Cojucaru to Shehata, who scores, is fouled…. FT no good. 42-38.

Ward fouled going for a layup, hits the shot. FT is good, Ward has 15. 42-41 MV.

Foul on Huerta, his 3rd. 44-43 MV now, I missed a couple plays. 19 seconds in the 3rd, SMS ball.

Ward tips in his own miss, but Ryan Lee nails a 3 for MV at the buzzer! 47-45 Monte Vista after 3 highly entertainling, well-played quarters.

SMS starts with the rock.

Jake Loebs goes baseline, scores, is fouled! FT is good. 48-47 Rams.

Rams get a stop…

Huerta spins, one way then the other on the dribblr, scores. 50-47 Rams.

7:05 left in the ball game.

Heck of a putback by Huerta, 53-47 Rams.

Shehata fouled on the way up…. FT’s split, but MV gets the 2nd one back…. I think…. disputed call.. 52-48, and yes, MV ball.

Ward runs the floor, gets a nice lead pass, and throws it down! 54-48 Rams. Ward has 19 now. 4:52 left.

A pair of 3 tries by MV, nope…. but SMS unable to take advantage. 54-48, MV ball.

Another 3, nope…. now SMS has it on the baseline. STEAL…. Nishikara hits a midrange…. 54-50.

Another stop…. now 2:38 left. 54-50.

Cojucaru drives, try bounces out, but he’s fouled. FT’s both go. 54-52.

STEAL…but a 3, nope…. then an SMS charge! 1:42 left, MV has the ball, down 54-52.

1:40 left.

3-try…. in and out.

Rams ball.

Huerta scores in he paint…. 56-52.

45 seconds.

Cojucaru drives, fouled…. and one! 56-54, 31.6 left, Cojucaru at the line for one FT.

FT is…. NO good…. Huerta rebound.

Ward fouled, MV had one to give.

24.5 seconds, SMS calls time. They have it on the side, near the Monte Vista bench.

Double team doesn’t work, SMS scores, steal by SMS, this one’s over. 58-54 final, one helluva game!

Ward had 19, Huerta 18 for SMS…. and scoreboard turned off before I can do Monte Vista. Just as it blinked out, I saw they had three guys in double figures.

Reactions: observer22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT