ADVERTISEMENT

Morgan Bertsch headed to the Dallas Wings

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
UC Davis' Morgan Bertsch (Santa Rosa) was drafted by the Dallas Wings with the 29th pick in Thursday's WNBA Draft

Reactions: OnBall8
That's really something -- only 36 players are drafted, several from overseas, and for Bertsch to get picked is a really big deal. That said, third-round choices very seldom make WNBA rosters, as it's a much tougher league to get into that people realize, but still, congrats to Morgan.

Oh, and getting selected in the WNBA draft just increased her overseas salary should she decide to play professionally.

All of us at CN knew she was REALLY good but she definitely flew under the college radar despite multiple 20/20/10+ (blocks) games in HS at Santa Rosa. She was long and athletic in HS and able to finish with both hands but extremely thin and needed to get into the weight room. I remember watching her as a sophomore in the back gym at Healdsburg high over the summer as a JV player and thought wow she's pretty good. Back then SR was in the midst of (I think) 7 straight NBL titles and had the luxury of multiple bigs on the varsity level so Morgan played JV as a soph.

I talked to the UC Davis coach(at the CN Classic) after Morgan's soph yr at Davis and she told me that they thought she hadn't gotten coached in HS and had huge upside. I joked with her that the "no coaching" was a break for Davis cause if she had got coached she would have ended up at Stanford. She smiled and said (paraphrasing) "yea you're probably right and we are glad everyday about that".

Not too many girls from the Northbay (Sonoma County) ever get a shot at the WNBA so its pretty neat she got drafted.

That's quite an indictment of her high school mentor (or mentors). Not to mention her AAU handlers.

She never play any AAU ball.

Another factor in her ending up at Davis was that they allowed her to high jump for track & field(which was her 2nd love). If I'm not mistaken she has set the UC Davis high jump record also.

I saw Morgan for the first time in her rising senior summer at a PassThaBall camp. Very impressed with her size/skill level. Didn’t want to inflate her based on that one viewing but it turns out we should have.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT