ADVERTISEMENT

NCS Brackets

Wow!…. I would say the Open/D1 is a shocker!…. SRV the #2 seed over an Undefeated League Champ PITT!…. We will get to see DLS vs SRV round 2!….
Not really, OC. Calpreps has SRV 8 points higher than Pitt. If you want to feel bad for a team, Liberty would be that team. They got passed over for the #8 seed because a very weak Logan (11th best team in an 11 team division) team won their league and jumped over 3 teams to secure a date with DLS next weekend.

I'm pretty sure I know where Kiddman32 will be this Friday night. Campolindo is playing SRV for a 3rd consecutive year in the playoffs, this time in D1/Open. Calpreps has SRV as 26 point favorites this year.

It’s a pity we didn’t get to see a Pitt vs DLS or Pitt vs SRV game, instead of Pitt vs Cal, during the regular non-league season. Yet, Pitt vs Cal (38-35) and SRV vs Cal (14-0) had similar outcomes with the win. But, a shutout win by 2 TDs vs a 3pt win, along with SRV’s only loss being an OT loss to DLS and a stronger SoS, was probably the deciding factor. Not to discount Pitt’s undefeated season, but that SRV loss being an OT loss to DLS is deserving of a rematch. Pitt will have its opportunity to prove they are better than SRV and/or DLS in a D1 championship game, should they continue winning. From my perspective, I’m NOT surprised with the NCS Open/D1 seedings, at least not the 1-3 seeds.

I’m not surprised that CVC got the #4 seed over Cal despite a worse record, as they just beat them last week. But I wonder why their NCS game is scheduled to be played at #5 Cal? Maybe CVC’s field can’t be used for some reason, or a misprint?

Cal now has a chance to avenge their losses to both CVC and Pitt if they can rise to the occasion.

Can someone explain how Liberty missed the playoffs and Logan and CVC made it in? Not sure of the automatic bids and ranking in the NCS

Reactions: THEOC89
Can someone explain how Liberty missed the playoffs and Logan and CVC made it in? Not sure of the automatic bids and ranking in the NCS
#SchoolOvr.RatingStr.
1De La Salle (Concord)8-259.5047.2
2San Ramon Valley (Danville)9-155.5029.9
3Pittsburg10-047.9018.2
4California (San Ramon)6-435.2026.2
5Amador Valley (Pleasanton)7-231.8012.2
6Clayton Valley Charter (Concord)5-531.7035.5
7Campolindo (Moraga)7-2-129.4014.9
8Liberty (Brentwood)7-327.6011.3
9Monte Vista (Danville)4-623.8025.4
10Antioch7-316.103.7
11James Logan (Union City)6-413.507.8

They basically went with the Calpreps rating (see above) with a few exceptions:

1) Clayton Valley defeated California so they moved Clayton Valley to the 4th seed and pushed California and Amador Valley down a notch.
2) Neither Liberty, Monte Vista, nor Antioch won their league. Logan did. Securing the automatic bid that goes to the league champion. Logan moved from #11 to #8, knocking Liberty out.

Reactions: observer22
That’s a tough pill to swallow for them. They came in second in league and a 7-3 overall and CVC came in third with a 5-5. Has to be some pissed off people out in Brentwood
Totally Agree!…. Liberty should have been in over CVC…. Those Liberty kids had a great year!….

Watched CVC against Oak Ridge this year. Might be the worse team they played all year. Really not a very good team. Plenty of d2 and d3 Teams would beat them this year.

Wow!…. I would say the Open/D1 is a shocker!…. SRV the #2 seed over an Undefeated League Champ PITT!…. We will get to see DLS vs SRV round 2!….
After looking at the top brackets for each of the NCS and CCS, I upgrade my thoughts on creating a joint playoff system. As it turns out, 10 of the 16 combined teams are from 2 leagues (EBAL and WCAL). What this feels like to me is a new round of league playoffs, instead of sectional championships. The probable only “outsiders” that can make any noise are Pittsburgh and Los Gatos (coincidentally, they played each other this year). D1: Serra, DLS, SRV and St. Francis
D2: Pitt, SI, Los Gatos, Wilcox, Salinas, AV
D3: Riordan, VC, CVC, Campo, Logan, Cal

Something like this would be so much more interesting.

After looking at the top brackets for each of the NCS and CCS, I upgrade my thoughts on creating a joint playoff system. As it turns out, 10 of the 16 combined teams are from 2 leagues (EBAL and WCAL). What this feels like to me is a new round of league playoffs, instead of sectional championships. The probable only “outsiders” that can make any noise are Pittsburgh and Los Gatos (coincidentally, they played each other this year). D1: Serra, DLS, SRV and St. Francis

What you are basically stating, “Go back to how It used To Be”,…

#JurassicThinnking

While we're at it, condense the SF league (aka section) and the Oakland league (aka section) into those as well. There is zero reason why a section should be simply one league.

Sort of a minor shaft but Newman getting #3 seed in D3 is a bit puzzling being ranked higher than Las Lomas. You can say they beat campo and Windsor tied campo and the beat newman but that is a little misleading. The #1 WR prospect in norcal (Walker) from Windsor didn’t play in that game or against Escalon. Windsor is a totally different team with him and one who I think will be playing for a norcal title .

Las lomas should have lost to Tam, CN will handle them and will play MC again in the finals

Sort of a minor shaft but Newman getting #3 seed in D3 is a bit puzzling being ranked higher than Las Lomas. You can say they beat campo and Windsor tied campo and the beat newman but that is a little misleading. The #1 WR prospect in norcal (Walker) from Windsor didn’t play in that game or against Escalon. Windsor is a totally different team with him and one who I think will be playing for a norcal title .
I was Suprised that LL was #2 over CN….. I can see the argument that they beat D1 Campo but they also lost to D4 Acalanes by 3TD’s….

CN on the other hand only lost to D2 Windsor…. Maybe the fact LL were co-league champs put them over the edge….

LL is an interesting team, in person they are not physically imposing at all…. But they execute their offense very well and have a nice running game and effective passing game, a very well coached team and they play very hard….

Very interested to see how this Bracket plays out!….

Hopefully newman didn’t lose their RB (Hoffman) with ankle injury. He’s rushed for 1700 yards this season so that would be a big blow. He was injured during Windsor game.

What you are basically stating, “Go back to how It used To Be”,…

#JurassicThinnking
That’s not at all what I am suggesting. I think the NCS, CCS, AAA and OAL should be combined for the playoffs (for football only).

While we’re at it, Orange County and San Diego could form a new “metro” for playoffs, LA/Ventura would be another, Inland Empire and Central is another and Northern and Sac-Joaquin the final one. 5 divisions is plenty and section/metro champions should not be guaranteed a state bowl game.

That’s not at all what I am suggesting. I think the NCS, CCS, AAA and OAL should be combined for the playoffs (for football only).

While we’re at it, Orange County and San Diego could form a new “metro” for playoffs, LA/Ventura would be another, Inland Empire and Central is another and Northern and Sac-Joaquin the final one. 5 divisions is plenty and section/metro champions should not be guaranteed a state bowl game.
I actually think San Diego has the Best playoff structure and everyone else should follow their Model….

Their 4 team Open with the 4 best teams and no loser moves on is awesome the rest are placed in Div 1-5 based on Competitive equity and not enrollment….

The Best teams should battle it out in each section for the title…. Not this nonsense of the NCS, CCS and SJS Gaming the System so the second best team in each section can move on if they lose to the #1 team….

The CIF doesn’t care though…. Everyone is allowed to make up their own rules and it’s Rediculous….

Imagine if the Southern Section implemented the NCS/CCS Open Farce…. You would get MD or SJB playing in D1AA…. Then what would the Nor Cal Section Commissioners do?….. 🤣🤣

Reactions: remc and Macallan
I believe Liberty's loss to SRV 66-12 was the answer, and James Logan is having a rough time in their league and should be down in Division six or seven. Even if they were the league champ. DLS will skin James Logan alive, atotal mis match...

Imagine if the Southern Section implemented the NCS/CCS Open Farce…. You would get MD or SJB playing in D1AA…. Then what would the Nor Cal Section Commissioners do?….. 🤣🤣
They would cry but they’re cheating………

What a miss by the committee to set up a HUGE interest 1st round match up in the Northbay!

Put CN at #2 and they on the road to (NBL Redwood champ) Ukiah and ex CN coach Cronin!

What a missed opportunity to set up EASILY the most anticipated 1st round game in the Northbay.

LOL - they would combine NCS for an all-star team and of course for 3 weeks of practice to get the team ready.

• Haha
What a miss by the committee to set up a HUGE interest 1st round match up in the Northbay!

Put CN at #2 and they on the road to (NBL Redwood champ) Ukiah and ex CN coach Cronin!

What a missed opportunity to set up EASILY the most anticipated 1st round game in the Northbay.
I am curious as to why Las Lomas is on the road playing Ukiah….. LL was the Co-Champ of their league and #2 Seed….

THE PLAYOFF'S I LOOKED OVER THE DIFFERENT GAMESTHAT ARE SCHEDULING AND THIS IS THIS IS MY THOUGHT WITH NO DETAILS....
DLS VS JAMES LOGAN.........DLS 49-JAMES LOGAN 12
SAN RAMON VALLEY VS CAMPOLINDO.....SRV 30 CAMPOLINDO 20
PITTSBURG VS AMADOR VALLEY.....PITTSBURG 41 AMADOR VALLEY 24
CLAYTON VALLEY VS. CALIFORNIA.....CALIFORNIA 31 CLAYRO\TON VALLEY 25
BERKELEY VS. ELCERRITO.....EL CERRITO 33 BERKELEY 19
VINTAGE VS. WINDSOR.....WINDSOR 34 VINTAGE 26
RANCHO COTATE VS. GRANADA.....RANCHO 26 GRANADA 20
BISHOP ODOWD VS. MARIN CATHOLIC.....MC 49 BO 13
TAMALPAL VS CASA GRANDA.....CASA GRANDA 31 TAM 19
LAS LOMAS VS UKIAH.....LAS LOMAS 44 UKIAH 20
AMERICAN CANYON VS CARDINAL NEWMAN 35 AMERICAN CANYON 19
KENNEDEY VS SAN MARIN.....SAN MARIN 39 KENNEDEY 12
MT.DIABLO VS. ACALANES.....ACALANES 44 MT. DIABLO 18....MT DIABLO IS STRANGE THIS YEAR, ANY THING COULD HAPPEN..
PIEDMON VS ALHAMBRA....ALHAMBRA 34 PIEDMONT 27

LETS SEE HOW LUCKY I AM.

I am curious as to why Las Lomas is on the road playing Ukiah….. LL was the Co-Champ of their league and #2 Seed….
First, Ukiah won their league. Second, even though LL was Co-Champion of the league, before each season there is a coin flip to determine who is designated the Champion of the league in the event of a tie. Acalanes won the coin flip and was designated the Champion of the league. Therefore, Las Lomas was sent to Ukiah even though they have the better seed.

First, Ukiah won their league. Second, even though LL was Co-Champion of the league, before each season there is a coin flip to determine who is designated the Champion of the league in the event of a tie. Acalanes won the coin flip and was designated the Champion of the league. Therefore, Las Lomas was sent to Ukiah even though they have the better seed.
MIREEL......This happened several years ago when Alhambra was winning football games and Alhambra traveled to Ukiah... This is one of those strange decisions made...This is a good question...

Does this mean that they flip coins between all the teams in the League before the season?…..

Also, it doesn’t really make sense as Campo, LL and Acalanes all play in different playoff divisions….. I can see if all 3 teams were in the same playoff division then you need to determine the seedlings…. When I played HSFB this was the case, all the teams in our League were in The same playoff division….

I would also think that since LL had a better record 9-1 vs 7-3 and a win over a D1/Open League Co Champ (Campo) and they are the #2 seed, they should have the home game…..

It is what it is, but it really doesn’t make any sense….

I agree that this rule is an outdated way to determine seedings with so many multi-division leagues.

They need to come up with another way. But right now, it's what we've got.

Related question: How old is this seeding rule? Was it first used when multi-division leagues were rare?

Does this mean that they flip coins between all the teams in the League before the season?…..

Also, it doesn’t really make sense as Campo, LL and Acalanes all play in different playoff divisions….. I can see if all 3 teams were in the same playoff division then you need to determine the seedlings…. When I played HSFB this was the case, all the teams in our League were in The same playoff division….

I would also think that since LL had a better record 9-1 vs 7-3 and a win over a D1/Open League Co Champ (Campo) and they are the #2 seed, they should have the home game…..

It is what it is, but it really doesn’t make any sense….
I can't speak for other leagues, but in the Diablo Athletic League, they flip coins before the season begins to determine who is the League Champion in the event there is a tie between 2 or more teams.

Regarding team placement, as you know they started out placing teams in divisions based on enrollment. Then competitive equity takes over. Before the advent of competitive equity, the four schools in the Acalanes Union HS District were all in the same division, or nearly so. Now you have Miramonte in D5, Acalanes in D4, Las Lomas in D3 and Campo in D1; ridiculous. Campo will stay in D1 purgatory for at least 3 seasons, before it can move back to D2.

Reactions: PatCarrillo
I can't speak for other leagues, but in the Diablo Athletic League, they flip coins before the season begins to determine who is the League Champion in the event there is a tie between 2 or more teams.

Regarding team placement, as you know they started out placing teams in divisions based on enrollment. Then competitive equity takes over. Before the advent of competitive equity, the four schools in the Acalanes Union HS District were all in the same division, or nearly so. Now you have Miramonte in D5, Acalanes in D4, Las Lomas in D3 and Campo in D1; ridiculous. Campo will stay in D1 purgatory for at least 3 seasons, before it can move back to D2.
I agree Campo gets shafted for essentially doing well these last several years. Of the 4 schools listed above it's been clear to anyone watching this league closely that Acalanes has had far superior talent these last 3 seasons. This is especially true this season. Everyone expected a down year in Moraga. Campo has seriously outcoached their counterparts in Lafayette by a very wide margin. Acalanes has D1 level talent this season, yet they are playing in D4 for playoffs. Make it make sense! Their coaching staff needs to take a hard look in the mirror. Wholesale changes are needed.

LL is smaller and outmanned this season. While they run an extremely vanilla offense, the kids seem to buy in and do more with less. LL greatly outperformed this season. Miramonte some how has really fallen off as a program. Their numbers are way down program wide. Enrollment in Orinda seems to be in continued decline also.

I agree Campo gets shafted for essentially doing well these last several years. Of the 4 schools listed above it's been clear to anyone watching this league closely that Acalanes has had far superior talent these last 3 seasons. This is especially true this season. Everyone expected a down year in Moraga. Campo has seriously outcoached their counterparts in Lafayette by a very wide margin. Acalanes has D1 level talent this season, yet they are playing in D4 for playoffs. Make it make sense! Their coaching staff needs to take a hard look in the mirror. Wholesale changes are needed.

LL is smaller and outmanned this season. While they run an extremely vanilla offense, the kids seem to buy in and do more with less. LL greatly outperformed this season. Miramonte some how has really fallen off as a program. Their numbers are way down program wide. Enrollment in Orinda seems to be in continued decline also.
Acalanes isn’t even good enough to win D4, San Marin is going to handle them again

Acalanes isn’t even good enough to win D4, San Marin is going to handle them again
They have the talent to beat San Marin. I'm not sure their coaching staff is up to the task. The few parents I know in that program are very fed up with the continued underperformance in bigger games.

Reactions: MC415
THE PLAYOFF'S I LOOKED OVER THE DIFFERENT GAMESTHAT ARE SCHEDULING AND THIS IS THIS IS MY THOUGHT WITH NO DETAILS....
MT.DIABLO VS. ACALANES.....ACALANES 44 MT. DIABLO 18....MT DIABLO IS STRANGE THIS YEAR, ANY THING COULD HAPPEN..

LETS SEE HOW LUCKY I AM.

THE PLAYOFF RESULTS OF THE NCS BRACKETT a few of surprises but the picks were 100 %..
THE PICK
DLS 49-James Logan 12.. The result.....DLS 48 James Logan 20.....
James Jogan scored 20 points on DLS which says a lot for them

SRV 30Campolindo 20.....The Result.....SRV 38 Campolindo 31
Campoliondoi would not quit and stayed intio the game to the end.

Pittsburg40 Amador Valley 24...The Result...Pittsburg 41 Amador Valley 14
The pirate had too much speed

Clayton Valley 31 California 24...The results.....California 31 Clayton Valley 24
we picked the score on this one...The Grizzlies over come last weeks lost...

El Cerrito 33 Berkeley 19.....The Results.......El Cerrito 61 Berkeley 14
The yellow jackets had no chance

Windsor 34 Vintage 26.....The results....Windsor 49 Vintage 14
Windsor marches on

Ranco Cotate 26 Granada 20.....The resulkts....Rancho Cotate 40 Granada 18
RC came out from the start and came out shooting to win

Marin Catholic 49 Bishop O'doud 13.......game to be played Sat.

Las Lomas 44 Ukiah 20....The results.....Las Lomas 17 Ukiah 7
Ukiah proved to be tougher then we thought, a long ride for a hard fought game

Cardinal Newman 33 American Canyon 19....The Results.. ..Cardinal Newman 49 American 14
CN had a easy victory

San Marin 49 Kenneday 12....The results....San Marin 48 Kennedy 0
Tough loss by Kennedy

Acalanes 44 Mt. Diablo 15....The Results Acalanes 56 Mt. Diablo 14
I thought that the Red devils would put up a better then a fight then that took place

Alhambra 34 Piedmont 27......The results...Alhambra 49 Piedmont 14
This is like the Bulldogs of the past

They have the talent to beat San Marin. I'm not sure their coaching staff is up to the task. The few parents I know in that program are very fed up with the continued underperformance in bigger games.
Well there is the solution. All
those outstanding coaches sitting on their ass in the bleachers. Need to get their undefeated records out there.

LETS SEE HOW LUCKY I AM.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT