ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D2 Bracket

nice predictions yacht!! who u got in the NBA tomorrow? Im looking to make some $

.....bet against theory:D

How dare you! I only bet on games that will be aired at Ricordo's. I like the Kings to come back and win the West. #imusthavemissedyourpicks
#hitswellwith2strikes

Last edited:
Reactions: bella123
Redwood and Tam will both get bounced in the next round but the MCAL combined record was 5-0 last night compared to the NBL/SCL 0-6.

Is this the girls forum? If it were, I would have said the MCAL was 2-2 and the NBL/SCL was 4-4(NBL 4-1 with only loss being to another NBL team).

Is this the girls forum? If it were, I would have said the MCAL was 2-2 and the NBL/SCL was 4-4(NBL 4-1 with only loss being to another NBL team).

Thank you for clarifying your statement. I still like Tam & Redwood going the distance. I think they will really benefit from playing in what is clearly a superior 10 team league that historically has done much better in division 2.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Thank you for clarifying your statement. I still like Tam & Redwood going the distance. I think they will really benefit from playing in what is clearly a superior 10 team league that historically has done much better in division 2.

That’s a bold stance, if it is real. Those 2 will be severely tested Friday on the road against the top 2 seeds BOD and LL. It would be a great story if both were to prevail, but my money would be squarely on the 2 favorites if I were to wager on them. I hope the games are competitive.

That’s a bold stance, if it is real. Those 2 will be severely tested Friday on the road against the top 2 seeds BOD and LL. It would be a great story if both were to prevail, but my money would be squarely on the 2 favorites if I were to wager on them. I hope the games are competitive.

No money on it, Redwood didn't even play well, I think they are saving their best, and I think are up for the big game. Tam's guards are solid, and are just a tough match up defensively. Size does not deter them.

That's a really tall order, FWIW. For Tam to get there, they're going to have to go into the Dragon Den and beat Bishop O'Dowd. While you say Tam will benefit from playing in "a clearly superior 10 team league," I would say that it isn't superior to the WACC-Foothill, and I would argue that Berkeley is better than any MCAL team not named Branson (and might even be better than them). Throw in BOD's non-league schedule that includes 6 more games against MaxPreps top 100 teams in California, and I'd say Tam (who only played two such teams all season) has their work cut out for them. And the DFAL (with Clayton Valley Charter, Campolindo and College Park - FFS Acalanes was the 2nd worst team in the league and they're the 5 seed in a tough D2!) might be pound for pound the best league in all of the NCS (might get an argument from EBAL fans, but probably not this year), so a Redwood win at Las Lomas will be a helluva feat.

That's not to say that either one or both won't win on Friday, but it would be a huge upset if they did.

Reactions: observer22
All of the mcal boys teams won tonight. League is very underrated IMO.
Have you actually seen any of the MCAL teams play?? I watched the Redwood/Branson game last week. Undoubtedly the worst high school game I have ever seen in my 65 years. The score was 5-4 after 1 quarter. Branson has 1 kid that maybe could play at a JC. If the Marin teams all beat the Sonoma teams last night all I can ask is how bad is the Sonoma Leagues???

A classic mcal game but that score does not take away from the league. Everyone knows each other so well and they all play stifling defense (I.E Rewood vs Monty). Look at Bransons wins and record and also not everything is about how many kids can play at the next level. Tam has 4 D3-Juco kids while Branson I guess has one but Branson still beat them twice.

That's a really tall order, FWIW. For Tam to get there, they're going to have to go into the Dragon Den and beat Bishop O'Dowd. While you say Tam will benefit from playing in "a clearly superior 10 team league," I would say that it isn't superior to the WACC-Foothill, and I would argue that Berkeley is better than any MCAL team not named Branson (and might even be better than them). Throw in BOD's non-league schedule that includes 6 more games against MaxPreps top 100 teams in California, and I'd say Tam (who only played two such teams all season) has their work cut out for them. And the DFAL (with Clayton Valley Charter, Campolindo and College Park - FFS Acalanes was the 2nd worst team in the league and they're the 5 seed in a tough D2!) might be pound for pound the best league in all of the NCS (might get an argument from EBAL fans, but probably not this year), so a Redwood win at Las Lomas will be a helluva feat.

That's not to say that either one or both won't win on Friday, but it would be a huge upset if they did.

I just think Tam having been there last year, and clearly knowing how to embrace the underdog role gives them a fighting chance. I'm probably wrong, almost always am, but I've got a little bit of a hunch going....

Have you actually seen any of the MCAL teams play?? I watched the Redwood/Branson game last week. Undoubtedly the worst high school game I have ever seen in my 65 years. The score was 5-4 after 1 quarter. Branson has 1 kid that maybe could play at a JC. If the Marin teams all beat the Sonoma teams last night all I can ask is how bad is the Sonoma Leagues???
Low blow, bold call there Monday Morning QB.

I just think Tam having been there last year, and clearly knowing how to embrace the underdog role gives them a fighting chance. I'm probably wrong, almost always am, but I've got a little bit of a hunch going....

Let's remember that Tam's run last year really involved one "big" win over a ridiculously overrated Cardinal Newman. They beat a young Alameda team, CN and then Montgomery before losing to Moreau and then getting pasted by Burbank in Norcals. And let's not forget - Bishop O'Dowd has "been there" just about every year.

Again, not saying Tam won't win. But it will be a big upset if they do.

Let's remember that Tam's run last year really involved one "big" win over a ridiculously overrated Cardinal Newman. They beat a young Alameda team, CN and then Montgomery before losing to Moreau and then getting pasted by Burbank in Norcals. And let's not forget - Bishop O'Dowd has "been there" just about every year.

Again, not saying Tam won't win. But it will be a big upset if they do.

Totally agree it would be an upset. That overrated CN team made a pretty deep run in Nor Cals if I do recall. Who knows, I could be wrong...again, like it has been brought to my attention very unpolitely by a select few who I will not name because I'm choking up, and just trying to advance the runners on 1st and 2nd...

Last edited:
Reactions: Fentons Cream
@larry legend33 whats up with your league man? League champs get 9 seeds and every team gets bounced in the first round?

This is comical! I think you should go back and look at the brackets for the last ten years! Redwood did win a title a few years back but no where near the consistency of Montgomery or even Windsor for that matter . I'm not one to claim that the Northbay league is a top norcal league far from it in fact. That being said there is some solid ball being played year in and year out. I would take Windsor newman and Montgomery over the top squads in the mcal most years.

I was at the Windsor game last night and the game was tight the whole way. Windsor missed a few point blank shots at the buzzer to force o.t. There's no shame in that loss last night in my opinion. Tam is a good team, and they played hard last night. Division 2 is a strong division this year! Not sure what your point is?

I do remember Montgomery winning 4 or 5 ncs championships, with a couple runner ups sprinkled in, and making it to Nor Cals quite often. Windsor is a relatively new school, who will only continue to get better. Their coach does a great job!

Def a bad day in the Redwood Empire. Ouch! Most surprising was Piner losing to a 9-15 team. Newman's "overrated" team last year went 28-5 and beat the SJS D2 Champ Whitney on the Road and a very good Serra team on the road the following week before losing to state runner up Moreau Catholic by 14 on the road. Not sure I would say they were overrated. More like pretty good. Unfortunately Baker and wallace graduated and this years team was very balanced but almost to a fault.

Newman did a great job on Alameda's 6"8 kid. (kingsley). He wasn't a big factor. It was the guard #1 and the forward #42 who killed them. A few dagger 3's by there outside shooter sealed the deal. Well coached team that plays hard. Alameda shouldn't be taken lightly. Senior led team. Newman got within 7 in the 4th but fell apart late. Just didn't attack enough when they beat the press. Newman returns a lot of very good players. I want to say at least 8 of which 5 played a lot and one of there better ones (leberthon) was injured.

D2 is tough.

Def a bad day in the Redwood Empire. Ouch! Most surprising was Piner losing to a 9-15 team. Newman's "overrated" team last year went 28-5 and beat the SJS D2 Champ Whitney on the Road and a very good Serra team on the road the following week before losing to state runner up Moreau Catholic by 14 on the road. Not sure I would say they were overrated. More like pretty good. Unfortunately Baker and wallace graduated and this years team was very balanced but almost to a fault.

Completely fair. I said overrated. I meant overseeded. They were seeded ahead of Moreau in NCS last year, which was borne out to be unwarranted, and were frankly extremely fortunate that Norcal took 6 NCS teams in Division 2 to fill out the bracket. CN was the 6th team taken. Otherwise, those wins over Whitney and Serra never happen, and then we're not calling that season "pretty good." That 25-3 record prior to the start of the playoffs was pillowy soft - the "toughest" non-league game they played was against Mt. Eden (and they lost that one). I truly think CN would fare better in the long run if they'd schedule more aggressively in the preseason rather than some of those cupcakes they face to beef up Bonfigli's win total. At least they managed to play Las Lomas in a tournament this year.

i think all of the sonoma county schools scheduled soft this year. It definitely can come back to bite you. But you can argue the other way as well. Whitney's coach said Newman was one of the best teams they played last year and they were 27-4 with a loaded schedule. So if you are good not sure it matters as long as your kids come ready to play.

I watched the Alameda game and Newman played awful and was down 6 at half and 7 at one point in the 4th. I mean they played terrible. Couldn't make a shot and handful of unforced TO's. Was it because they scheduled soft? Or did they just not make enough plays to win.... Alameda is a fine team. But on any given night monty, windsor, or newman can beat that team. Wasn't like they were playing Odowd.

Windsor, Monty and CN were all flawed. And the SCL is....well....the SCL...what can I say? Its terrible.
The boys basketball being played in Sonoma County currently is the worst locally Ive ever watched and it looks like it may be even worse next yr.
Not sure what the reason is...but at this moment in time the quality of play is definitely way down.

Agree, the quality of players seems to be way down. I'm not sure there is a kid in the NBL that will play in college. JC maybe? So its not like you can even argue that there are 2 many schools so the talent is diluted. There just isn't much.

But on the girls side Newman has built an elite program. So something doesn't jive. Baseball on the other hand seems to be way on the rise in those parts. Def puzzling.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood

Half of the worst game you have ever seen has won 5 Norcal Championships and 3 State Championships. Against a few Loaded Modesto Christian teams with Div 1 players.

If Memory serves me well, They played Santa Fe Christian in the State finals, who was scoring several games in the hundreds, and averaging in the Hi Seventies. I think the score at the half was 19-14. I told the kids I brought, that the 5 point lead was insurmountable.

Branson did this with 5 future Dentists. It’s what they do and they can play with anyone. Maybe not win everyone, but can play the game with anyone.

Here’s wishing you great hoops

Last edited:

Go back to watching your Zionsville youtube highlight mixtape reeeeeelllllzzzzzzzz buddy! That's "real" high school basketball! Did you see that block the other night!? NOT UP IN HERE!

I just did my homework on maxpreps. I always try to focus on the details in my personal life and get the facts straight! Since 1998, Montgomery has won 4 Division 2 NCS titles. 98, 03, 06, and 11. They were runner ups in 07 and 15 and have made NCS semi's on a few other occasions in that time span. Norcal wins have been a little tougher to come by, but they made the state championship game in 98 and were Norcal runner ups in 2003. I'd argue that's solid representation in NCS.

Since 2006, Cardinal Newman has surprisingly won 0 Division 4 NCS titles. Unless I missed something? They were runner ups in NCS in 06, 07, 13, and 15 with many tough losses to Salesian and St. Mary's...... However they were Norcal Division 4 champs in 07, and 14 making TWO State Championship game appearances! They've racked up a ton of division 4(and now 2) Norcal wins in that timeframe, ELEVEN if I counted correctly? I would argue that's solid representation in NCS and in all of Norcal. Anyway.... back to my Zionsville youtube highlight mixtape reeeeeeeellllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! That block the other night was siiiiiiiiiiiiiick!

Keep in mind Newman always had Salesian to deal with in NCS. They were typically one of the best teams in Norcal regardless of division. But both Monty and Newman have more than held there own over the years. Windsor hasn't had really any success. I remember a few years ago when they were 25-2 and got bounced round 1.

Zion will be the biggest bust of this generation. Guy is playing against Roseland Prep and Upper Lake. Instagram sensation with little hoop skills.

Reactions: UncleYacht
As for predictions, it feels like a BOD/Las Lomas final is inevitable, and I wouldn't be shocked with an all-chalk semifinals. That said, I think just about anybody in that 5-12 range could come out of the first round. I have a sneaking suspicion Newark takes down DeAnza and Monty takes down Redwood.

As predictions go, this has been pretty good so far...

[/pattingmyselfontheback]

O’Dowd is ten points better than LL. Lack of size will hurt LL especially with Hawkins back for O’Dowd.

ODOWD with a 6'9 kid back who can play is going to make it very tough for LL that doesn't go much bigger than 6"4. I think it will be a great game but ODOWD prevails.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT