ADVERTISEMENT

NCS preseason trends?

My early season TOP 5 so far

1. CLET...no doubter after h2h wins over Salesian and MM
2. Salesian
3. MM

3 locks for the OPEN currently (1,2,3) assuming they win their sections

Heritage could throw a monkey wrench into the process if they should upset CLET in the D1 sections.

Some of the other teams with gaudy records and high Max prep rankings (like Mission San Jose) have played questionable schedules.

I don't think any other teams even sniff the TOP 3 at this point

Reactions: Paytc
My early season TOP 5 so far

1. CLET...no doubter after h2h wins over Salesian and MM
2. Salesian
3. MM

3 locks for the OPEN currently (1,2,3) assuming they win their sections

Heritage could throw a monkey wrench into the process if they should upset CLET in the D1 sections.

Some of the other teams with gaudy records and high Max prep rankings (like Mission San Jose) have played questionable schedules.

I don't think any other teams even sniff the TOP 3 at this point

I'll throw Saint Joseph ND in the mix. I also think O dowd will get it together down the stretch. Cardinal Newman is a top 5 NCS team as well by playoff time

I agree though. Those top 3 are open locks. I wish NCS also had an open playoff bracket.

I think O’Dowd is in that top 5 mix too. Played Newman tough on the road and challenged Pinewood before losing at home.

It's hard to assess San Ramon Valley. They are 10-0 but not really tested so far. Closest game was 7 points @ American, but SRV was missing their leading scorer (Bayston) that night. That being said, I still see them ahead of California and Dublin.
Saw Cal at Chabot. They look tough

Bear Creek demolished SRV ... Bear Creek had played a much tougher schedule coming in, and that might have had something to do with it.

Bear Creek demolished SRV ... Bear Creek had played a much tougher schedule coming in, and that might have had something to do with it.

The spread surprises me. Box score looks like a roller coaster. Anyone there to see how it went down? Always bad to ride a couple of blow outs into a competitive game. The bad habits creep in and are hard to reverse.

The spread surprises me. Box score looks like a roller coaster. Anyone there to see how it went down? Always bad to ride a couple of blow outs into a competitive game. The bad habits creep in and are hard to reverse.
They have 4 to 5 freshman that play significant minutes in the rotation. They will get better.

They have 4 to 5 freshman that play significant minutes in the rotation. They will get better.

I think Bear Creek is pretty young also and might be better in the future than given credit for. Mya Blake ( a sophomore) is such a crafty and composed young player. She is solid getting to the basket, pulling up, creating for herself and others, or knocking down 3 pointers. I think her defense is also pretty good. But if there was an area of her game that she could focus on improving it would be playing better fundamental defense. Not to take away her aggressiveness, because I love seeing players play aggressive on both sides of the ball. And she is good,and very aggressive defensively. But if Mya gets to playing better "fundamental" defense she'd be even more of a problem and game changer than she already is. And she wouldn't pick up as many fouls forcing her to be sat down earlier than she and others might want to see. I've thought she was a special player since watching her play up when she was only a third grade player. Even back then (her maturity as a player) she was so fun to watch.

I noticed a lot of people were being very optimistic with regard to how good they thought SRV were going to be. And several thought they had put a little distance in between themselves and both Dublin and California. I think all three teams on any given night could step up and beat the other two teams. So I never thought SRV had a clear advantage over the other two. I think this ( perhaps SRV's only real challenge thus far) kind of puts things back in a better perspective. SRV will get better, as I agree they are a young team. But you can only play in the present until the future arrives. I think California is also a pretty young team. I know Mel Finau graduates this year, but Dublin seems to reload a couple quality players each season. It should be a few good games coming up when SRV, Dublin, and California all go head to head the next season or two and this season as well.

Congratulations Bear Creek !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT