ADVERTISEMENT

Never Ever Save your ace in the playoffs

That's simply not true. You have to look at match ups and have a plan to win the whole thing. It doesn't matter who Cal threw, Bremer is that good and would have beat them.

Cal doesn't have a true ace, so they can mix and match. I always feel you should throw your ace if you have once. A couple of years ago, it cost Palma went they sat Cameron Neff. Better to go down with your top guy.

On another note, Cal has had some bad luck in recent years with the draw. First Joe Ross (GREAT) and now Noah Bremer (very good).

The difference between Cal High facing Bremer this year and Joe Ross 3 years ago is that they brought on their own bad luck this year in losing 3 of their last 4 games down the stretch and falling from a likely top seed into the #4 seed. 3 years ago, Cal had rallied at the end of the season and beat DLS on the last day of the season to beat them out for 2nd place in the EBAL and lock up the #3 seed, only to have BOD become the #14 seed with the top pitcher in the East Bay that year in Joe Ross.

You just never know what will happen when it comes down to good pitching and a single elimination situation, especially in the first game of the tournament when everyone's top pitchers are still available and pitching depth is not an issue. Look no further than both #1 seeds in D2 & D3 losing to the #16 seeds as Campo lost to Casa Grande and Analy lost to JFK.

"That's simply not true. You have to look at match ups and have a plan to win the whole thing."

I happen to agree with that approach. It can always backfire, but a coach needs to know what the goal is, at the upper levels.

when's it's one and done, there is no future.
you pitch your ace and live or die with him.
you plan and scheme the next game (if you get there)

Sorry oal, that's not the way to win the whole thing. If you plan to win, you look for match ups- period. You work backwards from the final game.

Observer- Good thoughts. I would slightly amend that by saying co-top pitcher as Robert Stephenson was pretty amazing that year. Two great kids who happened to go first round.

Good point. Both were completely dominant, but Alhambra is D3. I should have said Ross was the top D1 pitcher in the East Bay that year.
cool.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 5/22 5:46 PM by observer22

I think Robert is gonna get to the show in September this year. Very good (and smart) kid. And a Cincinnati Red!
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT