ADVERTISEMENT

New alternative NCS playoff football plan to coin flip

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think people would have questioned this less if Vintage had not beaten Antioch.

The NCS D1 winner doesn’t advance anyway. But yeah you just never know when an upset will occur.

Here are the scenarios that will play out in D2:

1) Rancho Cotate & Campolindo win semifinal games. RC will go directly to Nor Cal game by virtue of defeating Campo earlier this season.
2) Marin Catholic & Campolindo win semifinal games. Campo will go directly to Nor Cal game by virtue of defeating MC earlier this season.
3) Rancho Cotate & Bishop O'Dowd win semifinal games. Coin flip.
4) Marin Catholic & Bishop O'Dowd win semifinal games. Coin flip.

Campo will avoid any of the coin flip nonsense, win or lose the semifinal game.
Bishop O'Dowd is stuck with a coin flip if they win the semifinal game.
Marin Catholic needs to win the semifinal game & hope Campo loses, just to get a seat at the table when they flip the coin.
Rancho Cotate needs to win the semifinal game & hope Campo wins, otherwise they will be subject to the coin flip.

since Divisions dont matter at the CIF level shouldnt CN then go over Rancho Cotate if CN loses their coin flip and Rancho wins theirs? CN running clocked Rancho in their head 2 head matchup during NBL play.

My take would be for the NCS to advance the top seed remaining after this week into the regionals. For the NCS title game pit the winner of the other semi final game against the loser of the game that advanced the highest seed.

Example: NCS D2

Rancho beats Marin
BOD beats Campo

Rancho advances to regionals
BOD plays Marin Catholic for NCS D2

NCS would be sending its highest seed to rep them in regionals and the other semifinal winner gets another game.
Here are the scenarios that will play out in D2:

1) Rancho Cotate & Campolindo win semifinal games. RC will go directly to Nor Cal game by virtue of defeating Campo earlier this season.
2) Marin Catholic & Campolindo win semifinal games. Campo will go directly to Nor Cal game by virtue of defeating MC earlier this season.
3) Rancho Cotate & Bishop O'Dowd win semifinal games. Coin flip.
4) Marin Catholic & Bishop O'Dowd win semifinal games. Coin flip.

Campo will avoid any of the coin flip nonsense, win or lose the semifinal game.
Bishop O'Dowd is stuck with a coin flip if they win the semifinal game.
Marin Catholic needs to win the semifinal game & hope Campo loses, just to get a seat at the table when they flip the coin.
Rancho Cotate needs to win the semifinal game & hope Campo wins, otherwise they will be subject to the coin flip.
Sounds like NCS has put request out to remaining teams to vote on whether to play out NCS championship and not compete in CIF or go with scenario you mentioned with coin flip. Can’t see any coaches going with coin flip. I do like pantera-cat thought of top seed advances to CIF and other semifinal winner plays loser to top seed for NCS title

Reactions: pantera-cat
since Divisions dont matter at the CIF level shouldnt CN then go over Rancho Cotate if CN loses their coin flip and Rancho wins theirs? CN running clocked Rancho in their head 2 head matchup during NBL play.

Well, your premise is incorrect. The CIF very much cares about divisions, as they only want division champs to advance. It's up to the NCS to state which teams play in the regionals or state games. If they decide that Rancho Cotate advances and Cardinal Newman does not, then that's what they decide. The CIF has no say in the matter.

My take would be for the NCS to advance the top seed remaining after this week into the regionals. For the NCS title game pit the winner of the other semi final game against the loser of the game that advanced the highest seed.

Example: NCS D2

Rancho beats Marin
BOD beats Campo

Rancho advances to regionals
BOD plays Marin Catholic for NCS D2

NCS would be sending its highest seed to rep them in regionals and the other semifinal winner gets another game.

To even expand further...
  • #1 Rancho beats #5 MC, Rancho gets CIF bid. If #2 Odowd beats #3 Campo. Odowd plays MC for NCS championship.
  • #1 Rancho beats #5 MC, Rancho gets CIF bid. If #2 Odowd loses #3 Campo. Campo plays MC for NCS championship.
  • If #5 MC wins then winner of Odowd-Campo gets CIF bid, loser plays MC for NCS championship
Or give top seeded wining team option to play NCS or Norcal

Reactions: pantera-cat
  • #1 Rancho beats #5 MC, Rancho gets CIF bid. If #2 Odowd beats #3 Campo. Odowd plays MC for NCS championship.
  • #1 Rancho beats #5 MC, Rancho gets CIF bid. If #2 Odowd loses #3 Campo. Campo plays MC for NCS championship.
  • If #5 MC wins then winner of Odowd-Campo gets CIF bid, loser plays MC for NCS championship

D3
  • #1 Newman wins they get CIF bid. If #2 Eureka beats #3 Las Lomas, Eureka plays #4 El Cerrito for NCS championship.
  • #1 Newman wins they get CIF bid. If #2 Eureka loses to #3 Las Lomas. Las Lomas plays #4 El Cerrito for NCS championship
  • If #4 El Cerrito beats Newman and #2 Eureka wins, Eureka gets CIF bid and Las Lomas plays El Cerrito for NCS championship
  • If #4 El Cerritto an Newman and #3 Las Lomas wins, Las Lomas gets CIF bid and El Cerrito plays Eureka for NCS championship

• D4
  • #1 Moreau wins they get CIF bid. If #2 Del Norte beats #6 Fortuna. Del Norte plays San Marin for NCS championship.
  • #1 Moreau wins they get CIF bid. If #2 Del Norte loses to #6 Fortuna. San Marin plays Fortuna for NCS championship
  • If #4 San Marin beats Moreau and #2 Del Norte wins, Del Norte gets CIF bid and San Marin plays #6 Fortuna for NCS championship
  • If San Marin beats #1 Moreau and #6 Fortuna wins, San Marin advances to CIF and Fortuna plays Moreau for NCS championship

Reactions: 121wayz
  • D5
  • #1 Kelseyville beats #5 Middletown, Kelseyville gets CIF bid. If #2 Salesian beats #3 Stellar. Salesian plays Middletown for NCS championship.
  • #1 Kelseyville beats #5 Middletown, Kelseyville gets CIF bid. If #2 Salesian loses #3 Stellaro. Stellar plays Middletown for NCS championship.
  • If #5 Middletown wins then winner of Salesian-Stellar gets CIF bid, loser plays Kelseyville NCS championship

A lot of good effort and thought in this. But the big problem is then you have teams losing a playoff game and getting rewarded for losing and advancing to play in a championship game?

I could see a coach like Cronin keeping his pride and saying no thanks, we lost it in the field we’re done for the year. Honestly I think a lot of coaches would go with the intergeity route.

There’s past practice of this. A few years ago the CCS tried to have playoff losers keep playing. It was an epic failure and didn’t work out to well for Serra.

A lot of good effort and thought in this. But the big problem is then you have teams losing a playoff game and getting rewarded for losing and advancing to play in a championship game?

I could see a coach like Cronin keeping his pride and saying no thanks, we lost it in the field we’re done for the year. Honestly I think a lot of coaches would go with the intergeity route.

There’s past practice of this. A few years ago the CCS tried to have playoff losers keep playing. It was an epic failure and didn’t work out to well for Serra.

@bella123, I believe @HSfan82 gets where I was going with what to do for THIS years NCS playoffs. It wouldn't be an annual thing to do for future years, only this year to prevent some stupid coin flip. The highest seed remaining after semi's gets rewarded with a regional game while the other semi final winner still gets another game.

Reactions: HSfan82 and 121wayz

That would be honorable of Cronin of keeping his pride, but if CN lost. they'd be done either way

@bella123, I believe @HSfan82 gets where I was going with what to do for THIS years NCS playoffs. It wouldn't be an annual thing to do for future years, only this year to prevent some stupid coin flip. The highest seed remaining after semi's gets rewarded with a regional game while the other semi final winner still gets another game.

No I agree just a weird situation. I hate the idea of a coin flip to determine a champion. I was just reading it that a loser would get to play on in a NCS final after losing this weekend, which worse than a coin flip. I’ll have to re-read. I might have misinterpreted the proprosal again. I was thinking a loser this weekend could play for a title next week?

The big problem with all of this is the competitive equity component. Remember, points are awarded based on a section title. So let's use the D2 example. If Rancho and BOD win this weekend and a coin is flipped & ODowd is allowed to advance, do they get the 15 points that go with a section championship? If we use that idea that Rancho goes to the bowl game and ODowd plays Marin Catholic, do both Rancho AND the BOD/MC winner get those 15 points? This is such a cluster-F.

What the heck is actually going on after this weeks games? I thought they were playing NCS finals then flipping for Norcal advance to State.

What the heck is actually going on after this weeks games? I thought they were playing NCS finals then flipping for Norcal advance to State.

Until further notice, NCS Divisions 2 thru 5 will play their semifinal games this weekend and the final games next weekend - the same weekend the CIF Norcal games will be played. I'm guessing the dreaded coin flips, to the extent they are required for a given section, will be performed on Sunday, December 2.

That sounds pretty reasonable. I think people would have questioned this less if Vintage had not beaten Antioch.

I actually think that a team like Eureka might not mind this, since they haven't won a title since the East Bay-Redwood Empire merger.

For what it's worth, Eureka High has won a section title since the merger. It beat Montgomery for the D-II title in 2009. Its previous title in 2003 was pre-merger, though I'd have liked that EHS team's odds of winning a merged section with Rey Maualuga and Mo Purify leading the way.

I hate the idea of sending the best seed on to the state title route and leaving the others to play for the section in a case like D-III where you've got top-seeded Cardinal Newman yet also have undefeated two and three seeds like Eureka and Las Lomas, each of which has rolled everyone in their path all season. And Eureka's Humboldt-Del Norte League foes were 0.5 seconds from taking three of the four D-IV semifinals spots (settling for two).

The NCS screwed the pooch, but at this point I just want the section playoffs to play out as they should. Don't flip a coin and don't give anyone a free pass.

I still think the best solution is for the NCS to finish out its section finals, forgoe the coin flip, give byes to the NorCal Regional teams that would have faced a NCS team, and have NCS D2 & D3 winners play each other for a D3AAA State title, and NCS D4 & D5 winners play for a D5AAA title.

Reactions: MC415 and DCOJD
I still think the best solution is for the NCS to finish out its section finals, forgoe the coin flip, give byes to the NorCal Regional teams that would have faced a NCS team, and have NCS D2 & D3 winners play each other for a D3AAA State title, and NCS D4 & D5 winners play for a D5AAA title.

NCS D2 and D3, if Rancho and Newman win, have already played each other. What would you think of NCS playing their final section games to determine a real section winner, then have those Section winners be considered for sbg (sans a regional game), along with the other regional winners...i.e. let the commissioners chose the best applicant? Coin flips will be the worst idea ever.

Last edited:
Until further notice, NCS Divisions 2 thru 5 will play their semifinal games this weekend and the final games next weekend - the same weekend the CIF Norcal games will be played. I'm guessing the dreaded coin flips, to the extent they are required for a given section, will be performed on Sunday, December 2.
Ok, great. Thanks for clarifying.

The Serra situation was different, since they just didn’t want to play in a 3rd place game and weren’t going to be moving on even if they had won. Had there been a regional bid on the line, I’m sure they would have suited up to play Milpitas that year.

Sorry, the second part of that is a ridiculous idea.

Or, CIF can add another Open Division ( not requiring a regional playoff ), like the old small school Open, and choose an Ncs D2 thru D5 school to play some selective representative from the South. Finish section championships on the field.

Last edited:
Well, your premise is incorrect. The CIF very much cares about divisions, as they only want division champs to advance. It's up to the NCS to state which teams play in the regionals or state games. If they decide that Rancho Cotate advances and Cardinal Newman does not, then that's what they decide. The CIF has no say in the matter.

you are wrong

its competitive equity at the state/CIF level and the sections have no say. The CIF picks the matchups after sections.

Thats how NCS D4 champ Cardinal Newman ended up playing SJS D1 Valley Christian in the state play in game 2 yrs ago.

Divisions thrown out the window at State

you are wrong

its competitive equity at the state/CIF level and the sections have no say. The CIF picks the matchups after sections.

Thats how NCS D4 champ Cardinal Newman ended up playing SJS D1 Valley Christian in the state play in game 2 yrs ago.

Divisions thrown out the window at State

Geez, do you not understand anything about how this works? You stated that CN should go in over Rancho Cotate, despite the fact that they play in entirely different divisions. That's not how it works. The NCS declares who advances from its different divisions. The CIF has no say in the matter. You can't take CN over RC if CN loses the coin flip.

Context. Reading comprehension. Whatever... study it.

No I agree just a weird situation. I hate the idea of a coin flip to determine a champion. I was just reading it that a loser would get to play on in a NCS final after losing this weekend, which worse than a coin flip. I’ll have to re-read. I might have misinterpreted the proprosal again. I was thinking a loser this weekend could play for a title next week?

Yes in my scenario a semi loser does get to play the next week, and while that is crazy, this is not a normal situation AND its better than a coin flip!! If they win, then they were 2nd best team. Not saying this should be ongoing format, just need to make lemonade when given lemons.. and we are working with some shitty lemons (no pun intended.. well maybe)

Ok, great. Thanks for clarifying.
As a parent of a player, or if I was a player, or if I was a coach - I would want a chance to play out NCS, first and foremost. That is the matter closest at hand and most achievable. It would suck to get hot and have to bow out because of seeding or prior result. Play it out. Then when you lose the Norcal Bowl coin toss you can say "at least we won the section". My opinion.

Reactions: 121wayz
That idea is even worse than the coin flips. People are complaining about the number of divisions already. What’s also lost is that the regular brackets can’t be filled out completely without the NCS teams... as such, there are no extra divisions to be created unless the regular ones are filled.
I would say that they will all play it out for a section championship. They have to play for something.

Yes in my scenario a semi loser does get to play the next week, and while that is crazy, this is not a normal situation AND its better than a coin flip!! If they win, then they were 2nd best team. Not saying this should be ongoing format, just need to make lemonade when given lemons.. and we are working with some shitty lemons (no pun intended.. well maybe)

Well played and accurate.

NCS sent out official word today.

All D2 & D4 Teams will play out the season for section title no matter who wins this weekend. All coaches in these divisions agreed.
D3 & D5 will potentially coin flip.

NCS sent out official word today.

All D2 & D4 Teams will play out the season for section title no matter who wins this weekend. All coaches in these divisions agreed.
D3 & D5 will potentially coin flip.

This is not what I read.All 16 teams were polled what they wanted to do .It was stated that in any division where there wasn’t a unanimous vote there would be a coin flip.In divisions where the championship wasn’t won on field no one would be awarded the title.Divisions that elected to play out the championship would try to find one more game with a team from a different north section

Interesting, the NCS will search for another game for its section champions playing out the season and call it a Bowl Game. I wished they did this before all these state championships even started. If they have the power now to add a game, imagine if the sections could have added a Bowl Game in years past. Imagine DLS vs Elk Grove in 98 or DLS vs one of those Grant squads. Sorry, my mind is wandering, we'll keep this for another thread...

Interesting, the NCS will search for another game for its section champions playing out the season and call it a Bowl Game. I wished they did this before all these state championships even started. If they have the power now to add a game, imagine if the sections could have added a Bowl Game in years past. Imagine DLS vs Elk Grove in 98 or DLS vs one of those Grant squads. Sorry, my mind is wandering, we'll keep this for another thread...
I was thinking the same thing. Imagine all the possibilities.

Assuming NCS plays out its section playoffs and the winners get a Bowl game, how about we name the Bowls for fun?

It would be fitting for the NCS to match up with the CCS for 2 of its games. NCS D4 vs CCS D4 and NCS D5 vs CCS D5. As for the NCS D2 & D3 winners, I'd like to see a possible match up with Rancho Cotate vs Monterey Trail and Cardinal Newman vs either Del Oro or Central Catholic.

All proceeds for these games should go to the Camp Fire recovery/relief foundation!!

It has been reported by Mitch Stephens that 14 out of the 16 teams remaining in D2-5 are choosing to play for NCS

Based on Mitch’s reporting, that would mean two of the divisions will have finals regardless. The two nays are in the other divisions.

Curious who voted for the coin flip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT