ADVERTISEMENT

New alternative NCS playoff football plan to coin flip

Based on Mitch’s reporting, that would mean two of the divisions will have finals regardless. The two nays are in the other divisions.

Curious who voted for the coin flip.
I heard the Cardinal Newman was one of them, I'm guessing the other was Marin Catholic.

I have heard that the Winners in the NCS sectional games will play the runner ups in other sections. Remember guys this is unprecedented stuff. No one in their right mind could have ever predicted a tragedy such as this. So many homes and lives lost. Whatever happens or how it happens, we should all just smile and realize its just a game.

Rancho Cotate, Bishop O'Dowd, Campolindo, and Salesian have decided to play out NCS

I have heard that the Winners in the NCS sectional games will play the runner ups in other sections. Remember guys this is unprecedented stuff. No one in their right mind could have ever predicted a tragedy such as this. So many homes and lives lost. Whatever happens or how it happens, we should all just smile and realize its just a game.

At this point, they might as well allow the D1 winner to play a runner up in another section as well.

D2 and D4 will play out championship D3 and D5 may do coin flip, I say MAY because what if two teams in final want to play. If a semi team voted for coin flip and is now out, do they get a vote

This sounds like the worst of both worlds for the coin flip divisions:

1. A coin flip will send one of the two section finalists on to a regional bowl game with a chance to compete for a state title.
2. The loser of a coin flip doesn't get to advance to a regional bowl game OR play for a section title.
3. The way this is written, it sounds like whether or not there is a coin flip could be determined by a vote from a school that loses in the semifinals and doesn't even advance to the finals.

This is absurd. So you're telling me a public school like Eureka or Las Lomas will go 12/13-0 (dominantly so), reach the section championship and potentially get f*** all because of a coin flip and some schools dreaming of a state title without even earning the section title?

The idea to not even crown a section champion is truly terrible and an absolute embarrassment. Section titles have been around for a lot longer than state titles here and schools that rarely if ever get to this point might get a damn coin flip and a pat on the back for reaching a section title game that won't be played....

Reactions: DCOJD
I'd seen people say that D2 and D4 voted unanimously to play for NCS, which appears to be confirmed by this link:

https://humboldtsports.com/2018/11/...-play-for-ncs-title-eurekas-status-uncertain/

Also, per this link:

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/9009430-181/benefield-empire-football-teams-adjust?ref=TSM

we know that the previous scenario - namely that prior head-to-head results will be used to settle tiebreakers before the coin toss - is still in play. Furthermore, we know that Salesian, Kelseyville and Middletown all voted to play for the NCS title. Therefore, the other team who voted for the coin toss must be Stellar Prep, especially since they beat #1 seed Kelseyville already this year, and thus would win the head-to-head tiebreaker and go to the state bowl game in the event they win their game. If Salesian wins tomorrow, D5 will also play for the NCS title as well.

CN was the other one who voted for the coin flip, so barring an El Cerrito upset tonight, D3 will be decided by coin flip on Sunday.

Reactions: SearsPoints
Here's a thought... if those teams that chose not to move towards a CIF NorCal regional end up matched up against one that did... should they just let that team go? They say that they want to play for an NCS title, but they're not going to be able to do that anyway. Why not just stand aside and let that team advance?

Reactions: espot and ararar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT