ADVERTISEMENT

New Folsom coach

Interesting hire... I know he had a lot of success at programs that had less to work with than Folsom. I wonder if he was the first choice or if they pursued other candidates that turned them down.

Paul Doherty is the new football coach
@FolsomBulldogFB
Had success at Sac Hi & Whitney & was key assistant at Folsom in 2018. Terrific weight room/conditioning guru, offensive mind, player's coach. Bulldogs return a ton in 2019 & seek 8th section and 5th state title this decade

Great choice. Look for the train to keep on rolling.

All this tells me is that the D1 Playoff bracket will be wide open, probably after next year when Badger, Ngata, and Hutton are gone. I do not see Folsom continuing on with the same steam they had under Kris Richardson and Troy Taylor. Doherty is a solid offensive coach, but his defenses have always struggled. Also is an interesting hire, only two years ago he was "Fired" for breaking over 4 CIF sanctions, causing Whitney to be held out of the playoffs one year, as well as a few other restrictions put on that school. I was curious what his record was when he was at Whitney and honestly I think he only beat 1 SFL team in his tenure there and it was Rocklin, he never won a playoff game there, and had success against only schools like Ponderosa, Bella Vista and Oakmont. Obviously Folsom has a lot more talent, but I just think with all of those coaches leaving it will be a tough task to maintain the success they have had since 2010. I would have thought Folsom would have hired some BIG name coach from either So Cal or a local coach with a winning track record(state titles/section titles under their name).

All this tells me is that the D1 Playoff bracket will be wide open, probably after next year when Badger, Ngata, and Hutton are gone. I do not see Folsom continuing on with the same steam they had under Kris Richardson and Troy Taylor. Doherty is a solid offensive coach, but his defenses have always struggled. Also is an interesting hire, only two years ago he was "Fired" for breaking over 4 CIF sanctions, causing Whitney to be held out of the playoffs one year, as well as a few other restrictions put on that school. I was curious what his record was when he was at Whitney and honestly I think he only beat 1 SFL team in his tenure there and it was Rocklin, he never won a playoff game there, and had success against only schools like Ponderosa, Bella Vista and Oakmont. Obviously Folsom has a lot more talent, but I just think with all of those coaches leaving it will be a tough task to maintain the success they have had since 2010. I would have thought Folsom would have hired some BIG name coach from either So Cal or a local coach with a winning track record(state titles/section titles under their name).
Although third hand, hear Joe Cattalico, Marlon Blanton and Casey Taylor interviewed. Doherty, can coach, but an odd hire for reasons you list. Does it matter? He was "hired" for a stipend LOL.

Reactions: MaoliFighter
I thought this was the hire for Folsom. Enough of a tie to the Richardson era but enough change because going with a supposed carbon copy would not go well (that copy wasn’t available).

Folsom was going to take a step back even with the staff staying the same.

Now they need to pivot and see what the new era can bring them. I think Paul is a good choice for that path

Agree with streak on taking a step back. Folsom was on that "ELITE" level the last couple years. They got damn near close to the top of the mountain. Now I think you will see just damn good football teams but nothing like the machine that they had. Still going to be the team to beat next year in the SJS unless you have kids leaving. (Like NGATA). But after that its going to be a lot more wide open.

Reactions: RidgeRider
Dohertys only win vs. Rocklin was in 2015, 4th quarter win.....the caveat was Coach Benzel had suspended 10 of his starters for team party violations. At that Whitney barely won.....I checked Max Preps.....

Reactions: RidgeRider
ya @WWHS44 i just feel like Folsom dropped the ball on this hire. I do not think he is the right person to keep Folsom relevant. They probably had their choice of coaches from all over the West Coast heck probably had some applicants from all over the U.S. Yet a prominent program nationally goes with a local guy with 1 win vs an SFL team a 54-28 overall record and has been fired for breaking rules. Just confuses me with how known and good Folsom has been.

Leaving as in graduating or transferring? There were two Ngatas.

Makes you wonder what level the administration is concerned with success.

Yeah I know there are 2. The younger one if he leaves they become very beatable next year. And the entire machine of transfers and open enrollment is going to come to a hault. I don't think people come to play for Dougherty. There is no real draw. Oak Ridge and Capital Christian just got a lot stronger on the 50 corridor.

@larry legend33 I agree, Oak Ridge, Capital, on the 50 side and Del Oro, Granite Bay on the 80 side. SFL title will not be Folsom's after next year. If some players leave, then yes it is wide open next year as well.

Paul Doherty is the new football coach
@FolsomBulldogFB
Had success at Sac Hi & Whitney & was key assistant at Folsom in 2018. Terrific weight room/conditioning guru, offensive mind, player's coach. Bulldogs return a ton in 2019 & seek 8th section and 5th state title this decade

This was a great choice. Great supporting cast of coaches in that program to continue the culture. One of the key QB coaches at the passing academy. Same offense with new twists. Should continue to kill it on the scoreboard.

Not sure who us taking over the defense. Anyone else know?

Reactions: Knock Heads
Folsom a "prominent program nationally"? They have played one nationally prominent team nationally in their history and are 0-3. I would say they are prominent in Northern California.

Folsom finished #7 in the country, per CalPreps. We can argue semantics, but if top 10 nationally out of thousands of HS teams isn't "prominent" than you are just trolling or have your head in the sand. They also happen to be one of the few public schools in the top 10. Another pretty good feat.

Either way I like the hire by Folsom.

Reactions: Knock Heads
I think the new coach will be great. Familiar with the program and kids. He beat out some very high profile applicants from the general area and out of state.

I think the admin made a great decision

Look for the train to roll

Yeah I know there are 2. The younger one if he leaves they become very beatable next year. And the entire machine of transfers and open enrollment is going to come to a hault. I don't think people come to play for Dougherty. There is no real draw. Oak Ridge and Capital Christian just got a lot stronger on the 50 corridor.

Spoken like an OR homer. Lets hope they got a lot stronger....62-6 with your QB throwing the ball into the hash marks on every third down....well, lets just say it would have been worse if the intentional grounding was actually called. They did win the punting competition however.

Got to wish him well

Good coach with big shoes to fill

Not the first time this has happened in football

They barely beat a San Diego team. Theyre trending down. And will go down as a program in a year or 2

@SOCALPREP1 I agree, Folsom's reign atop the SFL and Sac Area is trending down. They have 1 more year in them with the talent they have with that senior class. After that not a whole lot coming up, unless they get 4-5 transfers with talent, which is not out of the realm of possibility.

People have been predicting and praying for Folsoms demise for nearly a decade now. When Troy Taylor left, similar things were said. The train will continue to roll and they will continue to own the SJS. They still have the best program and kids in the section.

Even if based on some miracle that many people have been praying for, and say Folsom takes a step back- domination from a public school for much part of a decade is pretty remarkable. That and rising to national prominance.

I'd say that program and community is quite proud. Feed the machine.

Another point of emphasis is that Folsom has 2 legit players coming back next year. An entire two really good players. A handful of SJS teams have more talent returning.

If Folsom goes undefeated in the SFL next year and wins the SJS, there will be much bigger issues to address than the question of if Folsom will keep it rolling

People have been predicting and praying for Folsoms demise for nearly a decade now. When Troy Taylor left, similar things were said. The train will continue to roll and they will continue to own the SJS. They still have the best program and kids in the section.

Even if based on some miracle that many people have been praying for, and say Folsom takes a step back- domination from a public school for much part of a decade is pretty remarkable. That and rising to national prominance.

They have been the second best team in NorCal most of the past 8yrs or so. They should be proud. No doubt they will drop off a little but should still have a shot at that second spot. The real question is what will they do with it. Will this new coach go after better competition?

Maybe your rivals would like to see you fall off but most NorCal fans know that its in the best interest of the area for strong programs to maintain their tradition. However, It is rare to have one coach have continued success after the original leaves. Given the mass exodus of the coaching staff players that may have considered transferring in will wait to see what will happen. Year 1 should have enough holdover talent to dominate although not an ideal situation for a first year QB.

Reactions: concrete17
Another point of emphasis is that Folsom has 2 legit players coming back next year. An entire two really good players. A handful of SJS teams have more talent returning.

If Folsom goes undefeated in the SFL next year and wins the SJS, there will be much bigger issues to address than the question of if Folsom will keep it rolling

Folsom has some talent coming thru the pipeline on there Frosh/JV teams. Not saying they are like we've seen before but I think enough to keep them near or at top around SJS. But after that..... Who knows. And they return a lot more than 2 good players.
But I think Richardson and crew timed it perfect. He got out when he was on top of the mountain.

A new coach that doesn’t match the personality or chops of the previous regime need tread carefully. Ours said he wouldn’t change what led to the previous success, which was on the brink of Nor Cal history making. Since he came from the school that set that history, there certainly was a buzz. Immediately installed a new O. Changed helmets and logos; weird. Then started losing significant assistants. Made some history for sure, but not what the Principal/AD/ community was expecting. C’est la vie!

It will be interesting to see the upcoming years. I think they will be just fine. Especially if transfers keep coming in. They just recently got a DB from St.Marys Asar Moore who looks to be a stud.

Folsom has some talent coming thru the pipeline on there Frosh/JV teams. Not saying they are like we've seen before but I think enough to keep them near or at top around SJS. But after that..... Who knows. And they return a lot more than 2 good players.
But I think Richardson and crew timed it perfect. He got out when he was on top of the mountain.
2 big time players. Other than that, a bunch of interchangeable SFL caliber layers. Nothing crazy.

They have steadied the success for the better part of a decade now. Everyone jumped off the train when Troy Taylor left. I see the train continuing to roll.

Would be great to see Folsom amp up their schedule besides Folsom. When you think ot it, the only true power they have ever played in their history is DLS.

Reactions: aztecpadre
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT