ADVERTISEMENT

New football offers

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Recruiting is still going on and here are a few players with new offers and a 2023 WR to watch

Oakdale 2021 RB Zeke Saffar has received his first offer from Valparaiso, which has been actively recruiting Northern California in this class.

Oak Ridge 2021 linebacker Hunter Nabers was offered by Valparaiso last month and picked up a new offer from New Mexico State on July 6.

Capital Christian 2021 lineman Kenndel Riley now has three offers from the Big Sky with the Sacramento State Hornets coming in this week. He is ranked No. 36 in the 2021 Football Top 50.

A player to watch in the 2023 class is Christian Brothers wide receiver Jared “Jet” Wiley, who is 6-foot-2 and 170 pounds

I may have been misinformed by a recruited player’s parent on this subject, as I can’t find any source that states Valpo offers athletic scholarships for football. However, being a member of the PFL (non-scholly league) should make the subject matter obvious.

I’ll retract my statement, 1315...

I may have been misinformed by a recruited player’s parent on this subject, as I can’t find any source that states Valpo offers athletic scholarships for football. However, being a member of the PFL (non-scholly league) should make the subject matter obvious.

I’ll retract my statement, 1315...

the University of San Diego has ways around the non scholarship practice. They have been known to provide lots of need based money for academics to land players they really want.

No worries MC. It’s true many privates- the Ivies particularly- and the PFL give out “academic” $ to fill their rosters. There’s no shame in someone going the Pioneer route to play FB, albeit tuitions of $40k! One local did that and started...8 games.

No worries MC. It’s true many privates- the Ivies particularly- and the PFL give out “academic” $ to fill their rosters. There’s no shame in someone going the Pioneer route to play FB, albeit tuitions of $40k! One local did that and started...8 games.

Absolutely the gospel.
On more than one recruiting trip/ conversation we heard some variation of "If you have the numbers ( grades & test scores) don't $weat the expen$e$ from head and ass't coaches and financial aid officers at the Ivies and Private's where there was some communication.
Shopping schools is much more than player possibilities, athletic facilities, flashy T-shirts and ball caps to wear around your HS before graduation. We started the school investigation process early ( HS sophomore year) by looking at the Public Institutions and State Schools and quickly learned that the Privates had more $$ snd flexibility (creativity) forthcoming in the financial assistance area.
4-5 years of college education is a major investment and commitment so do your research and continue to do so while your special 2.0 is pursuing his or her future. We made some of our biggest financial assistance finds in his sophomore and junior college years by talking with team mate parents.
Good Luck

Reactions: MC415
Absolutely the gospel.
On more than one recruiting trip/ conversation we heard some variation of "If you have the numbers ( grades & test scores) don't $weat the expen$e$ from head and ass't coaches and financial aid officers at the Ivies and Private's where there was some communication.
Shopping schools is much more than player possibilities, athletic facilities, flashy T-shirts and ball caps to wear around your HS before graduation. We started the school investigation process early ( HS sophomore year) by looking at the Public Institutions and State Schools and quickly learned that the Privates had more $$ snd flexibility (creativity) forthcoming in the financial assistance area.
4-5 years of college education is a major investment and commitment so do your research and continue to do so while your special 2.0 is pursuing his or her future. We made some of our biggest financial assistance finds in his sophomore and junior college years by talking with team mate parents.
Good Luck

Joey Carrillo Acalanes Full ride UC Davis. Army also offered

Absolutely the gospel.
Good Luck

And I’ll add C17.x went to a Top 10 Natl U ...close to the Levere!

the University of San Diego has ways around the non scholarship practice. They have been known to provide lots of need based money for academics to land players they really want.
I have one son who played his college football career at USD, and one son with one more year left there, a total of 8 years of USD football and financial obligations, so I know the path and the $ given to the players in this program. Both had great experiences.

a good friend of mine son Nick Friedel from Cal High has had a stellar experience playing football and going to school at USD

Reactions: observer22
I can add they offer outstanding packages for their JD program; have to in order to improve their USNWR ranking. And regional schools struggle to attract higher than undergrad.

They courted a close friend with Ivy credentials away from UCSD Med to initiate a new grad program. Gave her carte blanche.
Those things need to happen in uber competitive SoCal where those “regional” schools attempt to compete academically with the big dogs- SC/UCLA, let alone athletics.

Antioch 2021 defensive end Jailen Weaver
has been offered by Arizona State. It is his 9th reported offer and second from the Pac-12 (Washington State being the other).

Weaver is a really interesting player. Great size and athlete

Folsom 2021 offensive lineman Vinny Scalise has picked up an offer from Southern Oregon.

Saw RB Zeke Saffar from Oakdale last season in Palma win at Oakdale. Saffar is very fast Has another gear. He looked like a D1 prospect. Oakdale QB is pretty good as well. It was a bummer their schedules couldn't match for a second game due to Palma league realignment.

Valparaiso is recruiting alot in Norcal this season. Offered one of Palma's linemen. Saffar should get other offers. Can't teach speed.

Saw RB Zeke Saffar from Oakdale last season in Palma win at Oakdale. Saffar is very fast Has another gear. He looked like a D1 prospect. Oakdale QB is pretty good as well. It was a bummer their schedules couldn't match for a second game due to Palma league realignment.

Valparaiso is recruiting alot in Norcal this season. Offered one of Palma's linemen. Saffar should get other offers. Can't teach speed.

Can't coach size and toughness either!

Depends on the “coach.”
Plus, coach knows:

“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”

Samuel Clemens.

Plenty of huge, even pedigreed, guys in the East Bay who were soft.

Depends on the “coach.”
Plus, coach knows:

“It’s not the size of the dog in the fight; it’s the size of the fight in the dog.”

Samuel Clemens.

Plenty of huge, even pedigreed, guys in the East Bay who were soft.

I agree with the size of the dog argument but when you get to D1 college and above it's hard to overcome a big size disadvantage especially if your opponent is a "dude"

Here's my son against Idaho State three years ago. At the time he weighed 265-270 and the guy he earholed was well over 300 pounds. The way Tyler went flying afterwards cracks me up. This blindside block became illegal in the NCAA last year. If you minimize the screen his full collegiate highlights are right after this 15 second video clip.

Last edited:
I agree with the size of the dog argument but when you get to D1 college and above it's hard to overcome a big size disadvantage especially if your opponent is a "dude"

Scooby Wright.

But we got that years ago. Breaking Grizz records with only 8th grade experience but DNA meant D1/Pro bsbl and the next ticket to punch.

Yours?

I think Hearns is underrated on a state level. Doesn't have the off the chart physical numbers, but he is a really good football player

Reactions: THEOC89 and MC415
I think Hearns is underrated on a state level. Doesn't have the off the chart physical numbers, but he is a really good football player
Hearns was impressive on both sides of he ball in the game I watched him play against St Thomas Aquinas

Reactions: MC415
Oh. Unclear. Is he moving on?

Yes, he was training hard for his pro day that got canceled. He was hoping to impress as a blocking tight end and get an NFL or CFL tryout but Covid pretty much took care of that. It was a longshot at best, even from dad's perspective. Him missing his pro day is nothing compared to what kids are going through now missing the entire 2020 season. After 15 years of football I know he misses not doing the grind but he seems to be moving on mentally and he's seeing football as a chapter in his life like 99% are forced to do. He made all Big Sky Conference twice which is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering he did so on a team with a losing record. He has a great new job, nicest car he's ever owned and a new girlfriend, so life is good for him. Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Yes, he was training hard for his pro day that got canceled. He was hoping to impress as a blocking tight end and get an NFL or CFL tryout but Covid pretty much took care of that. It was a longshot at best, even from dad's perspective. Him missing his pro day is nothing compared to what kids are going through now missing the entire 2020 season. After 15 years of football I know he misses not doing the grind but he seems to be moving on mentally and he's seeing football as a chapter in his life like 99% are forced to do. He made all Big Sky Conference twice which is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering he did so on a team with a losing record. He has a great new job, nicest car he's ever owned and a new girlfriend, so life is good for him. Thanks for asking.
I started thinking about Jeff Stover after reading your post. Jeff played football for Corning high ( North Section) Didin't play College football. Was a Great Pac 10 shot putter in College. He was working family construction. He decieded to try, to to get a tryout with the 49ers.
Made the team and played in the Superbowl. He did tell me, he has mixed feelings about the physical tole it took on him,.after his years on the team.

Here's wishing you great football

Reactions: Bubba3000
I started thinking about Jeff Stover after reading your post. Jeff played football for Corning high ( North Section) Didin't play College football. Was a Great Pac 10 shot putter in College. He was working family construction. He decieded to try, to to get a tryout with the 49ers.
Made the team and played in the Superbowl. He did tell me, he has mixed feelings about the physical tole it took on him,.after his years on the team.

Here's wishing you great football

Somehow those aches and pains acquired from football always seem to be worth it, like badges of honor. I must admit that him not playing pro is a relief. He played 15 years in the trenches and most of the extreme cases of CTE seem to show up in players that end up having long pro careers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT