ADVERTISEMENT

Newman vs LIBERTY

End of 3rd - still 10-7 Liberty. Possession was traded several times. I can't find it streamed anywhere but the game is being covered play by play by Dirk Zeigler on MaxPreps.

Last edited:
Reactions: larry legend33
But I think it will play out like this ND/GA game. Close at half and then Liberty size and athleticism starts to wear down newman.

Cardinal Newman scores - misses PAT 17-13 Liberty 7 min left in 4th

Reactions: MC415
Agree! Great rivalry
Larry i’m Curious maybe you and/or TR could answer this for me please....if Placer were to not repeat as FVL Champs this yr and considering their enrollment is 1250 the smallest in that div,couldn’t Placer drop down to D4 as Rio Linda did last yr and RL has an enrollment of 1600+ I believe,could a possible Placer vs Cardinal Newman be in the almighty cards?I know that who ever wins that D3 league stays in D3 for playoffs as Placer did last yr.Just curious because I think that would be a great game.Thanks

Larry i’m Curious maybe you and/or TR could answer this for me please....if Placer were to not repeat as FVL Champs this yr and considering their enrollment is 1250 the smallest in that div,couldn’t Placer drop down to D4 as Rio Linda did last yr and RL has an enrollment of 1600+ I believe,could a possible Placer vs Cardinal Newman be in the almighty cards?Just curious.Thanks

Champion75- good question. TR is the Mel kiper of this stuff. The playoff system now requires an advanced degree. Seriously I don’t know but I would not be surprised if both placer and Newman get to the finals of there sections without another loss. Placer took care of biz against a solid vista team and should have no problem with O’Dowd before league. Placer record is deceptive because as you know a few bounces from being 4-0.

Newman and Marin Cath has a great history with MC winning at least the last several in some of the all time great games and players ever from those schools.

I would love to see a matchup in NorCal. Newman needs to find a few 250 lb kids before then to stop that RB

Reactions: championcif75
http://www.prep2prep.com/feature.aspx?ArticleID=27322

Judging by the Week 5 Pick’em very few people thought it would be close.
You cant judge the point differential of a game based on the confidence level a team to win given by a fan. In my case, the actual score differential most likely would have been perfect if Liberty have finished their 3 final plays instead of kneeling out the game on the CN 5 yard line.

I'm not in any way suggesting Liberty should have tried to score instead of kneeling out the game. In fact, such endings with a mercy kneel is commendable sportsmanship. But I am saying that I had a lot of confidence Liberty would produce a W at home against CN regardless of the score.

You cant judge the point differential of a game based on the confidence level a team to win given by a fan. In my case, the actual score differential most likely would have been perfect if Liberty have finished their 3 final plays instead of kneeling out the game on the CN 5 yard line.

I'm not in any way suggesting Liberty should have tried to score instead of kneeling out the game. In fact, such endings with a mercy kneel is commendable sportsmanship. But I am saying that I had a lot of confidence Liberty would produce a W at home against CN regardless of the score.
They kneeled once after trying to punch it in several times

Great insight. Based on what?

MC has bigger and deeper horses up front on both sides compared to Newman, in their scrimmage that was very evident. CN has the advantage outside with their skill guys and at QB. MC has the more explosive RB with Matteo Perez with that Oline could have success, so I can see MC winning that game as well. CN may come out and throw the ball around MC to win the game, either way it will be likely a tight game as usual. Personally I think MC wins by wearing them down on the lines, but totally wouldn’t surprise me to see CN outscore them in a shootout..........will be pretty evenly matched as usual

MC has bigger and deeper horses up front on both sides compared to Newman, in their scrimmage that was very evident. CN has the advantage outside with their skill guys and at QB. MC has the more explosive RB with Matteo Perez with that Oline could have success, so I can see MC winning that game as well. CN may come out and throw the ball around MC to win the game, either way it will be likely a tight game as usual. Personally I think MC wins by wearing them down on the lines, but totally wouldn’t surprise me to see CN outscore them in a shootout..........will be pretty evenly matched as usual
I wouldn’t agree on deeper but agree on 1’s being bigger on the line. You’re probably not going to see a better run game and fronts from MC that you see from either Liberty or Placer. The teams and coaches know each other well so I agree it would be tight. Unlike years in the past a shootout wouldn’t favor MC.

Reactions: MC415
I wouldn’t agree on deeper but agree on 1’s being bigger on the line. You’re probably not going to see a better run game and fronts from MC that you see from either Liberty or Placer. The teams and coaches know each other well so I agree it would be tight. Unlike years in the past a shootout wouldn’t favor MC.

Neither of those teams have Sekona on their fronts, So definitely think MC line is way better then Placer (liberty not so much), Placer has given up tons of points in certain games last few years their defense up front isn’t scary........I do think Perez is better individually then any Placer RB and Liberty RB is a bowling ball but Perez has been lethal catching the ball out of the backfield which is the difference.........Totally agree a shootout likely doesn’t favor MC is Pavitt is in the zone with his WRs and makes MC put the ball in the air, MC qb is just a sophomore and will be better by that time as well but totally wouldn’t surprise to see CN win this

They kneeled once after trying to punch it in several times
no they did not. seemed they wanted to get the game over without giving up a late fumble that they have had. liberty o line mauled that team all night. CN is tough liberty is not clicking. costly fumble that could of put them up 17 and that would be a wrap.

no they did not. seemed they wanted to get the game over without giving up a late fumble that they have had. liberty o line mauled that team all night. CN is tough liberty is not clicking. costly fumble that could of put them up 17 and that would be a wrap.
Yes. You have to run the football without fumbling that’s part of the game. They took #21 out cause he was done. They ran #22 and he got tattooed at the 4. They kneeled once and game was over.

Liberty O line mauled that team all night? Check your first half running stats. Liberty could not run the ball. Placers’ O line is far more physical and better coached. CN lost a backer to injury at the half and had to play a true freshmen at inside backer the entire second half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT