ADVERTISEMENT

NIL approved by the Florida HS Athletic association.

So can an athlete promote her NIL before the game starts as long as her school uniform is covered? Can she carry her school athletic bag and perform NIL marketing? Can she wear her NIL shoes
During warmups but not during the game.?

I'm pretty sure an elite distance runner from Montgomery HS in Santa Rosa has an NIL with New Balance.
She recently committed to Stanford. (Hanne Thomsen)

But did New Balance make her a shoe
That she wears in CIF competitions…
A shoe that she makes money off of
Via a NB deal or contract

But did New Balance make her a shoe
That she wears in CIF competitions…
A shoe that she makes money off of
Via a NB deal or contract
I don't have the details but it was a pretty unheard of move at the time. Maybe this will be the norm for the super elite?

I don't have an issue with an athlete making money. Athletic directors at private high schools can make six figures.

Jerzy Robinson of Sierra Canyon got NIL money, I'm pretty sure, so I think it's OK.

I don't have an issue with an athlete making money. Athletic directors at private high schools can make six figures.
how are you going to compare an adult who I presumably went to get a 4-year degree to a 14--17 year old kid? I don't have an issue with kids making money but Schools like Mater Dei, Canyon, Windward, and watch out for Brentwood. Deep pockets at those schools and North would never win another state championship in the brackets that matter.

Jerzy Robinson of Sierra Canyon got NIL money, I'm pretty sure, so I think it's OK.
I see JRob has a Nike NIL deal.
Does Nike make her a shoe?
Can she wear that shoe in CIF games
And is that part of her contract
Can she give all of her teammates her
Shoe to wear at her Sierra Canyon games????

If a teenage tennis player can make millions, why can't a teenage basketball player make $50,000?

What's the difference? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm curious. Both are athletic endeavors, and both generate enough interest to attract people who are willing to pay. Why should one sport be privileged above another? And why should coaches and administrators get paid and not athletes? (The fact that there's an arbitrary age limit is, to me, unimportant. In fact, there are child labor laws designed to prevent adults from reaping financial benefits from the work of children.)

The NIL world needs some guardrails, but overall, it is just free market. If someone thinks (for whatever reason) that a player attending a certain school should get paid, let them pay. Especially in college sports, I think we are just transferring money from building campaigns to NIL

My understanding is that NIL is perfectly legal in high school as long as it's couched properly. You can't say "I'll pay you $50,000 only if you come to Sierra Canyon" -- but I can say in private "If you come to Sierra Canyon, my company will pay you $50,000 for NIL."

Of course it's shady. So is recruiting for club teams and high school.

Now if they just quit pretending that kids only go to school for education, and if they quit treating athletes different than drama students, there would be no need to be shady.

What's the difference? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm curious. Both are athletic endeavors, and both generate enough interest to attract people who are willing to pay. Why should one sport be privileged above another? And why should coaches and administrators get paid and not athletes? (The fact that there's an arbitrary age limit is, to me, unimportant. In fact, there are child labor laws designed to prevent adults from reaping financial benefits from the work of children.)
AD's and coaches are adults. Should we just let kids drink because adults can? Should we let a 14 year old marry a 32 year old person because adults can? The if they can do it, they should be able to do it is a flawed statement. If a kid is playing professional, should they be able to play HS sports? Teenagers in most sports (not basketball in the USA) around the world can play professionally but they don't double dip and play pro AND THEN play amateurs.

We are seeing more and more teens moving to europe (especially for soccer) to play for money. I don't see anyting wrong with that. I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years you will see HS kids getting paid through NIL to play HS sports. EYBL pays for travel, lodging, gear...it's one step off of professional sports.

Of course it's shady. So is recruiting for club teams and high school.

Now if they just quit pretending that kids only go to school for education, and if they quit treating athletes different than drama students, there would be no need to be shady.
OK so let’s run with that…
Can players recruit other players to
Get NIL deals?
Would these recruiting players get
A percentage$$$ for recruiting players?
I see pyramid schemes in the future?
So many possibilities

So you would deny a high school girl and her family the chance to earn $50,000 because she's 15?

So you would deny a high school girl and her family the chance to earn $50,000 because she's 15?
I wouldn't deny it, Clay. but a kid that has the ability to train full time for her profession vs. a kid who has to go to school all day are two different fair's. You never answered my questions, yet I've answered all of yours.

Should we just let kids drink because adults can? Should we let a 14 year old marry a 32 year old person because adults can?

Of course adults and children should be treated differently in many circumstances, but obviously not all.

I would claim that the right to earn as much money as you can should not be restricted by age, and is one of those categories in which adults and children should be treated roughly the same.

The points you raise I agree with, and in those cases, the difference is important.

I would also say that only parents or guardians should be able to sign NIL deals, but then again, look at what Britney Spears' dad did.

• Haha
Reactions: Norcal_Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT