1) Granada
8) Clovis West

4) DLS
5) Rocklin

3) Mitty
6) Granite Bay

2) St. Mary’s
7) Valley Christian
Wow!… Shocker in D1!…. CCS D1 Runner up SI drops to D2, SJS D2 Winner GB bumped up to D1 and VC a Semifinalist gets in!!!….

Tough Break for ST Mary’s!…. They will have to face Quintin Marsh and VC in the first round!….

I don’t like this…. A semifinalist should not get in…. Cardinal Newman should have been bumped up to D1 like they weee last year…. And why Drop SI?…. They have 2 wins over Serra and one over VC…. Doesn’t make sense…..

Wow!… Shocker in D1!…. CCS D1 Runner up SI drops to D2, SJS D2 Winner GB bumped up to D1 and VC a Semifinalist gets in!!!….

Tough Break for ST Mary’s!…. They will have to face Quintin Marsh and VC in the first round!….

I don’t like this…. A semifinalist should not get in…. Cardinal Newman should have been bumped up to D1 like they weee last year…. And why Drop SI?…. They have 2 wins over Serra and one over VC…. Doesn’t make sense…..
Yes I am in agreement with you on a semi finalist moving on. You don’t make your section final, you should be staying home.

Its pretty much a gimme for Corona being state number one and possible national. Nothing Granada or OLU does will change that. But really until there is a true state title game this trend of teams sitting out (last year JSerra) will probably to continue.

There is no perfect system but the competitive equity argument in high school sports is starting to become ridiculous. The #1 NorCal Division 4 team is Piedmont, who lost in the NCS DIV finals. Justin-Siena, who was the NCS DIV champion, gets rewarded by traveling to D2 CCS Champion Kings Academy(#3 seed in Norcal Division 3).

Reactions: WOW Freddy

Looks like the committee seeded with rankings pretty significantly. Final section placement played the biggest role while rankings were also considered. You specially mentioned that SI had 2 wins over Serra and one over VC. However, VC had 3 wins over SI. So that one makes sense to me. But a SI move to D2 may have been too much. GB gets bumped up for their ranked wins. CN was highly ranked but they lost to 3 of 4 teams during their regular schedule that are presently in D1 Regionals. They should do well in D2.

I see CCS has changed their playoff advancement to regionals rules. They allow all 4 D1 Simi-finalists to advance to regionals. They also added a couple divisions. Only the champion for D2-D6 advanced.

Other sections advanced more than one team per division in many cases. And in NS D2, Chico got in to replace the sectional champ PV.

Last edited:
Yes I am in agreement with you on a semi finalist moving on. You don’t make your section final, you should be staying home.

It’s pretty much a gimme for Corona being state number one and possible national. Nothing Granada or OLU does will change that. But really until there is a true state title game this trend of teams sitting out (last year JSerra) will probably to continue.
Yes, until there is a true state Championship it doesn’t matter…. Both Corona and Harvard Westlake opted out of the So Cal Playoffs….

Winning D1 Down there is the most important thing…. I like the concept but it just doesn’t fit in the season with Graduation, etc….

Looks like the committee seeded with rankings pretty significantly. Final section placement played the biggest role while rankings were also considered. You specially mentioned that SI had 2 wins over Serra and one over VC. However, VC had 3 wins over SI. So that one makes sense to me. But a SI move to D2 may have been too much. GB gets bumped up for their ranked wins. CN was highly ranked but they lost to 3 of 4 teams during their regular schedule that are presently in D1 Regionals. They should do well in D2.

I see CCS has changed their playoff advancement to regionals rules. They allow all 4 D1 Simi-finalists to advance to regionals. They also added a couple divisions. Only the champion for D2-D6 advanced.

Other sections advanced more than one team per division in many cases. And in NS D2, Chico got in to replace the sectional champ PV.
Great Analysis!….. Makes more sense after reading this!….

I still don’t agree with Semi Finalists moving on unless the winner or Runner up opts out and I don’t like dropping a D1 team to D2…..

Do I think VC is one of the 8 best D1 teams in Nor Cal?…. Absolutely!….. But they lost in the Semi Finals so they should not advance…..

And in D2, Why Carmel?…. If you are advancing Semi Finalists, a team like College Park holds wins over San Marin and Redwood…. Why not CP as the #3 seed in D2 instead of Carmel?…..

All that being said, these are really good brackets with some great matchups!…. Looking forward to DLS vs Rocklin and ST Mary’s vs VC….. in D2 Redwood vs Carmel and SI vs San Marin are great matchups….

I still don’t agree with Semi Finalists moving on unless the winner or Runner up opts out and I don’t like dropping a D1 team to D2…..

Do I think VC is one of the 8 best D1 teams in Nor Cal?…. Absolutely!….. But they lost in the Semi Finals so they should not advance…..

And in D2, Why Carmel?…. If you are advancing Semi Finalists, a team like College Park holds wins over San Marin and Redwood…. Why not CP as the #3 seed in D2 instead of Carmel?…..

All that being said, these are really good brackets with some great matchups!…. Looking forward to DLS vs Rocklin and ST Mary’s vs VC….. in D2 Redwood vs Carmel and SI vs San Marin are great matchups….
It sounds like it was just the CCS allowing semifinal losers to advance. CP would have been a worthy selection, but I think the NCS limited the field to just finalists? Another instance where sections having different rules affects the selection process.

Yeah, it was extraordinary for CCS to change their advancement rules to include their D1 semifinalists. And they also eliminated the possibility other divisions to advance their finalists. CCS always have something squirrely going on. However, the CIF did allow these changes.

My comments were just an explanation of entry and seeding from my perspective. I am not trying to justify CCS action. Frankly, I would prefer only the division champs advance. This would place a greater value on the sectional playoffs. But that would fly in the face of traditions in the opposite direction.

Newman staying in D2 is a little bit of a head scratcher but they will have hands full regardless. They did beat St Mary's who is the SJS champ but also lost to a few of the D1 teams like Granite Bay, Valley Christian, and I think Granada. But its the playoffs and anything can happen.

My plug for POY is Josh Janicelli from CN.
11-1
.78 ERA
114 Strike outs in 72 innings.
Absolutely filthy all year.
Committed to UCSB but I've heard rumblings of bigger programs talking.
And he's a jr!

CN lost to VC 8-2 in their only meeting.

Reactions: THEOC89
Streaming of St Mary’s vs VC on NFHS appears to be not working or delayed. Wish I could be at this game. But, at Toyota Town waiting car repair (brakes).

Streaming of St Mary’s vs VC on NFHS appears to be not working or delayed. Wish I could be at this game. But, at Toyota Town waiting car repair (brakes).
Crazy game - 1-1 going into the 9th
And now bottom of 9th 3-3, SM with one out, 2 on bases. A few controversial calls in this inning.
Top of 10th 3-3, no lights at SM. Bases loaded, 1 out, 2 outs.
Bottom of 10th 3-3
Rams wins 4-3

Last edited:
DLS wins 5-4. Rocklin had the bases loaded at the end, but took a called 3rd to end it.

Crazy game - 1-1 going into the 9th
And now bottom of 9th 3-3, SM with one out, 2 on bases. A few controversial calls in this inning.
Top of 10th 3-3, no lights at SM. Bases loaded, 1 out, 2 outs.
Bottom of 10th 3-3
Rams wins 4-3
Interestingly, VC struggled with getting the bunt down throughout the game, popping one up and grounding one to the pitcher trying to move the runner to third, but tagged out. SM quite the opposite especially with the suicide squeeze play to win the game. Great game by both teams, especially the starting pitching. What a pitchers duel to start it off. VC had bases loaded twice (including top of the 10th with 1 out), but Rams able to escape each time. Rams down 3-1 after a 2-run HR by VC, able to tie it up to force extra innings. IMHO, this game came down to which team was more successful laying down the bunt. Bottom of the 10th after a single to get on base, SM lays down the bunt to move the runner to 2nd … successful. VC error with bad throw from pitcher to 2B for attempted pickoff allowing the runner to move to 3B, which set up the winning run on again a successful SM bunt (suicide squeeze play). Execution! Execution! Execution!

Interestingly, VC struggled with getting the bunt down throughout the game, popping one up and grounding one to the pitcher trying to move the runner to third, but tagged out. SM quite the opposite especially with the suicide squeeze play to win the game. Great game by both teams, especially the starting pitching. What a pitchers duel to start it off. VC had bases loaded twice (including top of the 10th with 1 out), but Rams able to escape each time. Rams down 3-1 after a 2-run HR by VC, able to tie it up to force extra innings. IMHO, this game came down to which team was more successful laying down the bunt. Bottom of the 10th after a single to get on base, SM lays down the bunt to move the runner to 2nd … successful. VC error with bad throw from pitcher to 2B for attempted pickoff allowing the runner to move to 3B, which set up the winning run on again a successful SM bunt (suicide squeeze play). Execution! Execution! Execution!
SM did a really good job staying in the game and finally gaining the winning score. VC, on the other hand, seemed to struggle when it mattered the most. The same thing happened in their loss to Mitty during CCS semifinals. Mitty jumped out to an early lead. It seemed that VC was going to bring a come-from-behind win. But twice, they had loaded bases and just couldn't bring 'em home. I give a lot of credit to the Mitty pitching crew and the St. Mary's pitching crew. But there seemed to be a deeper factor at play.

SM will have the benefit of another home game against Mitty. Mitty is hot right now. But if SM can keep their discipline high as in their first game, they should have a good chance to win.

Last edited:
SM did a really good job staying in the game and finally gaining the winning score. VC, on the other hand, seemed to struggle when it mattered the most. The same thing happened in their loss to Mitty during CCS semifinals. Mitty jumped out to an early lead. It seemed that VC was going to bring a come-from-behind win. But twice, they had loaded bases and just couldn't bring 'em home. I give a lot of credit to the Mitty pitching crew and the St. Mary's pitching crew. But it seemed to be a deeper factor at play.

SM will have the benefit of another home game against Mitty. Mitty is hot right now. But if SM can keep their discipline high as in their first game, they should have a good chance to win.
Mitty is hot right now? Sure they won their last 4 games. But, 7-5 in their last 12 games vs 12-0 (and actually last 18 wins in a row), I’m thinking the Rams might be little bit more hot at the moment. But, strength in opponents is much a factor, too.

Yes, pitching is key! St Mary’s has given up 15 runs total in last 12 games. Mitty has given up 61 runs in their last 12 games, 10 total in their last 4 (all wins). With Bavaro already pitching vs VC, I anticipate the Rams might once again going with Tanner Grove who only gave up 2 hits to Mitty the last time they played. Or will they? Grove gave up the 2-run HR vs VC. Instead, I expect St Mary’s Quedens, who is #2 behind Bavaro in ERA (0.53) with 0.64, to take the mound vs Mitty. Grove will be ready to step in to relieve, if needed. Bavaro should be rested and ready to start on Saturday, should St Mary’s get past Mitty. Also note, both sophomore sensation Bavaro (10-0 and 9-0 this season) and junior Grove (15-0, 5-0 this season) have yet to lose a game in their Varsity career at St Mary’s. Senior, Quedens, is 15-3 in his 3 years on Varsity and 8-1 this season on the mound for St. Mary’s with his only loss this season to Cardinal Newman. I’d agree … the Rams have a good chance to win this game today.

Mitty’s Seeger pitched the last game vs Granite Bay and also was on the mound the last time the Monarchs faced the Rams. I’m anticipating we will see Pintar on the mound for the Monarch vs the Rams this time around.

I’m going to miss seeing this game in person as my grandson (age 5) has his first soccer practice. I’ll try catching today’s semifinal game on NFHS. He’s sacrificing playing in his “2nd to last” tee ball game this season to give soccer a try. He’s only 5 but is doing quite well playing baseball (tee ball) for the first time. But, wrestling is probably going to be his top sport. Stay tuned! He’ll be sporting green and white in 8-9 years in one or more of these sports.

Mitty is hot right now? Sure they won their last 4 games. But, 7-5 in their last 12 games vs 12-0 (and actually last 18 wins in a row), I’m thinking the Rams might be little bit more hot at the moment. But, strength in opponents is much a factor, too.

Yes, pitching is key! St Mary’s has given up 15 runs total in last 12 games. Mitty has given up 61 runs in their last 12 games, 10 total in their last 4 (all wins). With Bavaro already pitching vs VC, I anticipate the Rams might once again going with Tanner Grove who only gave up 2 hits to Mitty the last time they played. Or will they? Grove gave up the 2-run HR vs VC. Instead, I expect St Mary’s Quedens, who is #2 behind Bavaro in ERA (0.53) with 0.64, to take the mound vs Mitty. Grove will be ready to step in to relieve, if needed. Bavaro should be rested and ready to start on Saturday, should St Mary’s get past Mitty. Also note, both sophomore sensation Bavaro (10-0 and 9-0 this season) and junior Grove (15-0, 5-0 this season) have yet to lose a game in their Varsity career at St Mary’s. Senior, Quedens, is 15-3 in his 3 years on Varsity and 8-1 this season on the mound for St. Mary’s with his only loss this season to Cardinal Newman. I’d agree … the Rams have a good chance to win this game today.

Mitty’s Seeger pitched the last game vs Granite Bay and also was on the mound the last time the Monarchs faced the Rams. I’m anticipating we will see Pintar on the mound for the Monarch vs the Rams this time around.

I’m going to miss seeing this game in person as my grandson (age 5) has his first soccer practice. I’ll try catching today’s semifinal game on NFHS. He’s sacrificing playing in his “2nd to last” tee ball game this season to give soccer a try. He’s only 5 but is doing quite well playing baseball (tee ball) for the first time. But, wrestling is probably going to be his top sport. Stay tuned! He’ll be sporting green and white in 8-9 years in one or more of these sports.
Confirmed. Quedens on the mound for St. Mary’s.

Friggin spam score reporting on MaxPreps. It’s 0-0 after 2 innings.

Mitty just made an incredible play stopping a ground ball up the middle by the Rams to get the force at 2B and get out of the inning.

Spam score on MaxPreps for Granada-DLS game too (it’s not 23-3 DLS!) Top of 6 in Livermore, Granada up 5-0.

Big win for Newman 5-3 over Elk Grove to advance too Champ game. Newman was down 3-0 but scored 4 in the 5th and added on after. Newman vs Redwood part 2 for champ!
Great North Bay matchup with between two teams from always underrated leagues in the NBL and MCAL. Nice work Redwood going on the road and beating SI. Redwood, San Marin and Marin Catholic have a bunch of high D1 guys this year, it's strange that there isn't more respect. The NBL is also top notch with CN, Casa Grande and Petaluma just to get started. It's time to start paying a bit more attention to baseball in the North Bay.

The NBL is also top notch with CN, Casa Grande and Petaluma just to get started. It's time to start paying a bit more attention to baseball in the North Bay.
I’m gonna have to bust your balls a little bit here on this post. Casa (left 2017) or Petaluma (left after 1985) are not in the NBL and have not been in it for years. They have been in the WVAL. 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
I’m gonna have to bust your balls a little bit here on this post. Casa (left 2017) or Petaluma (left after 1985) are not in the NBL and have not been in it for years. They have been in the WVAL. 😂
Haha.. I like the spirit of what @bearphan wrote. He's absolutely correct also and you know this bella123 as an OG. We've always had players in the greater "Redwood Empire." Its just now the area has been discovered and its no secret . On good years the Newmans, Casa's, Justins, Redwoods, Ukiah, etc can play with anybody. I mean Newman beat St Mary's who is playing in the finals of D1. Redwood knocks off a strong SI team on the road who was successful in power WCAL. Good stuff happening.

And best of luck to all that are still playing. You guys are the last in the state!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT