ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Football Player of the Year Honors

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Joe Ngata has a chance to really shine at Clemson. QB Trevor Lawrence should be there for at least two more years and they're saying he could be the top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Joe Ngata has a chance to really shine at Clemson. QB Trevor Lawrence should be there for at least two more years and they're saying he could be the top pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

I bet you a million dollars he wont be as much as a day 3 pick in 2020...

Some Nice Representation from Nor Cal with 13 Players on this List!!! Congrats to all these Kids and their Great Year!!!....

I would say the most surprising Omission is Joe Nagata From Folsom... Interestingly, Daniyel Ngata and Kaiden Bennett Both Made the Second Team... Overall I think a great Showing for Nor Cal!!!

2018 ALL-USA California Football Team

USA TODAY High School Sports is proud to announce the 2018 American Family Insurance ALL-USA California Football Team. Players were selected based on their athletic achievements from the 2018-19 season.

MORE: Complete list of ALL-USA State Teams https://usatodayhss.com/2018/2018-american-family-insurance-all-usa-state-football-teams

COACH OF THE YEAR: Bruce Rollinson, Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

The 2017 ALL-USA Football Coach of the Year, Rollinson led the Monarchs to a 13-2 season and their second straight CIF Open Division state football title. Two weeks after avenging their only on-field loss of the year with a 17-13 win over St. John Bosco in the CIF Southern Section Div. I championship, Mater Dei knocked off De La Salle in the Open Division state title game, 35-21.

OFFENSE

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: DJ Uiagalelei, St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

Among the top-ranked players in the nation, the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year threw for 3,366 yards and 48 touchdowns along with a 69.6 completion percentage in leading the Braves (13-1) to the CIF Southern Section Div. I final. Uiagalelei also ran for 312 yards and six TDs.

First Team

QB DJ Uiagalelei (6-4, 240, Jr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

RB Austin Jones (5-10, 190, Sr.), Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland)

RB Kendall Milton (6-2, 210, Jr.), Buchanan (Clovis)

WR Bru McCoy (6-3, 212, Sr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

WR Jermaine Burton (6-1, 193, Jr.), Calabasas

TE Mark Redman (6-6, 250, Jr.), Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach)

OL Myles Murao (6-3, 270, Jr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

OL Sean Rhyan (6-5, 302, Sr.), San Juan Hills (San Juan Capistrano)

OL Jason Rodriguez (6-6, 326, Sr.), Oak Hills (Hesperia)

OL Marist Talavou (6-3, 316, Sr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

OL Jonah Tauanu’u (6-6, 317, Sr.), Narbonne (Harbor City)

Second Team

QB Kaiden Bennett (6-0, 170, Sr.), Folsom

RB Zach Charbonnet (6-2, 219, Sr.), Oaks Christian (Westlake Village)

RB Daniyel Ngata (5-9, 180, Jr.), Folsom

WR John Humphreys (6-5, 205, Jr.), Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach)

WR Darren Jones (6-8, 185, Sr.), Cajon (San Bernardino)

TE Michael Martinez (6-6, 246, Sr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

OL Edward Hill (6-3, 300, Sr.), Valley Center

OL Sataoa Laumea (6-4, 305, Sr.), Eisenhower (Rialto)

OL Justin Scrempos (6-7, 300, Sr.), Milpitas

OL Wyatt Terlak (6-4, 325, Sr.), El Modeno (Orange)

OL Dohnovan West (6-3, 290, Sr.), Alemany (Mission Hills)

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oaks Christian (Westlake Village)

Considered among the top recruits in his class, Thibodeaux set the tone for the Lions’ 12-1 campaign. In his final season, Thibodeaux finished with 54 tackles, including 19 tackles for loss and 18 sacks, to go with five forced fumbles, three passes defensed and one fumble recovery.

First Team

DL Jacob Bandes (6-3, 306, Sr.), Pittsburg

DL Isaiah Foskey (6-4, 220, Sr.), De La Salle (Concord)

DL Laiatu Latu (6-5, 242, Sr.), Jesuit (Carmichael)

DL Kayvon Thibodeaux (6-5, 240, Sr.), Oaks Christian (Westlake Village)

LB De’Gabriel Floyd (6-2, 245, Sr.), Westlake (Westlake Village)

LB Justin Flowe (6-2, 225, Jr.), Upland

LB Henry To’oto’o (6-2, 230, Sr.), De La Salle (Concord)

DB Darion Green-Warren (6-0, 163, Jr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

DB Clark Phillips III (5-11, 178, Jr.), La Habra

DB Elias Ricks (6-2, 180, Jr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

DB Chris Steele (6-2, 187, Sr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

Second Team

DL Justin Houston (6-4, 190, Jr.), Junipero Serra (Gardena)

DL Jamar Sekona (6-3, 305, Jr.), Marin Catholic (Greenbrae)

DL Keyon Ware-Hudson (6-2, 298, Sr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

DL Stephon Wright (6-4, 280, Sr.), Cathedral (Los Angeles)

LB Daniel Heimuli (6-2, 200, Sr.), Menlo-Atherton (Atherton)

LB Joshua Pakola (6-3, 267, Sr.), St. Francis (Mountain View)

LB Tristan Sinclair (6-2, 202, Sr.), San Ramon Valley (Danville)

DB Brandon Jones (5-10, 175, Jr.), Narbonne (Harbor City)

DB Trent McDuffie (5-11, 186, Sr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

DB Asa Turner (6-4, 215, Sr.), Carlsbad

DB Macen Williams (5-10, 150, Jr.), Junipero Serra (Gardena)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K/P Ryan Sanborn (6-3, 195, Sr.), Francis Parker (San Diego)

Last edited:
I think the DL for Pitt (Bandes) will be in the league after he kills it at UW. He's highly underrated and has a motor that won't quit. One of the more impressive players I've seen over the last couple years. Reminds me a lot of the kid from Placer who went to UCLA and now is on Raiders. Actually I think Bandes is more of a beast.

True that. But it was gone in the next scene! Guilty...bought the DVD in ‘08...Bill knows why.

Problem for Joe Ngata is that there are just some great wide receivers in southern california.

Folsom had more offensive weapons than they knew what to do with. He wasn't really showcased this year. Imo, he and his brother should have had 2k yards a piece...

Folsom had more offensive weapons than they knew what to do with. He wasn't really showcased this year. Imo, he and his brother should have had 2k yards a piece...

If you really watch folsom he was probably their 4th best athlete on offense he has the biggest frame but #4,#3,#14 looked like better athletes. Reasons why I think folsom could’ve been better this year, but who knows now if I’m dls I’m keeping that game on the schedule because what if folsom actually looks better and goes undefeated then we get the infamous “ folsom would’ve beat dls this year”

Losing their qb and Joe Ngata, and their coaching staff. Is it possible Folsom might have some problems next year?

Some Nice Representation from Nor Cal with 12 Players on this List!!! Congrats to all these Kids and their Great Year!!!....

I would say the most surprising Omission is Joe Nagata From Folsom... Interestingly, Daniyel Ngata and Kaiden Bennett Both Made the Second Team... Overall I think a great Showing for Nor Cal!!!

DEFENSE

First Team

13...not 12. You missed Latu

Some Nice Representation from Nor Cal with 12 Players on this List!!! Congrats to all these Kids and their Great Year!!!....

USA TODAY High School Sports is proud to announce the 2018 American Family Insurance ALL-USA California Football Team. Players were selected based on their athletic achievements from the 2018-19 season.

MORE: Complete list of ALL-USA State Teams https://usatodayhss.com/2018/2018-american-family-insurance-all-usa-state-football-teams

COACH OF THE YEAR: Bruce Rollinson, Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

The 2017 ALL-USA Football Coach of the Year, Rollinson led the Monarchs to a 13-2 season and their second straight CIF Open Division state football title. Two weeks after avenging their only on-field loss of the year with a 17-13 win over St. John Bosco in the CIF Southern Section Div. I championship, Mater Dei knocked off De La Salle in the Open Division state title game, 35-21.

OFFENSE

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: DJ Uiagalelei, St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

Among the top-ranked players in the nation, the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year threw for 3,366 yards and 48 touchdowns along with a 69.6 completion percentage in leading the Braves (13-1) to the CIF Southern Section Div. I final. Uiagalelei also ran for 312 yards and six TDs.

First Team

QB DJ Uiagalelei (6-4, 240, Jr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

RB Austin Jones (5-10, 190, Sr.), Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland)

RB Kendall Milton (6-2, 210, Jr.), Buchanan (Clovis)

WR Bru McCoy (6-3, 212, Sr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

WR Jermaine Burton (6-1, 193, Jr.), Calabasas

TE Mark Redman (6-6, 250, Jr.), Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach)

OL Myles Murao (6-3, 270, Jr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

OL Sean Rhyan (6-5, 302, Sr.), San Juan Hills (San Juan Capistrano)

OL Jason Rodriguez (6-6, 326, Sr.), Oak Hills (Hesperia)

OL Marist Talavou (6-3, 316, Sr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

OL Jonah Tauanu’u (6-6, 317, Sr.), Narbonne (Harbor City)

Second Team

QB Kaiden Bennett (6-0, 170, Sr.), Folsom

RB Zach Charbonnet (6-2, 219, Sr.), Oaks Christian (Westlake Village)

RB Daniyel Ngata (5-9, 180, Jr.), Folsom

WR John Humphreys (6-5, 205, Jr.), Corona Del Mar (Newport Beach)

WR Darren Jones (6-8, 185, Sr.), Cajon (San Bernardino)

TE Michael Martinez (6-6, 246, Sr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

OL Edward Hill (6-3, 300, Sr.), Valley Center

OL Sataoa Laumea (6-4, 305, Sr.), Eisenhower (Rialto)

OL Justin Scrempos (6-7, 300, Sr.), Milpitas

OL Wyatt Terlak (6-4, 325, Sr.), El Modeno (Orange)

OL Dohnovan West (6-3, 290, Sr.), Alemany (Mission Hills)

DEFENSE

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Kayvon Thibodeaux, Oaks Christian (Westlake Village)

Considered among the top recruits in his class, Thibodeaux set the tone for the Lions’ 12-1 campaign. In his final season, Thibodeaux finished with 54 tackles, including 19 tackles for loss and 18 sacks, to go with five forced fumbles, three passes defensed and one fumble recovery.

First Team

DL Jacob Bandes (6-3, 306, Sr.), Pittsburg

DL Isaiah Foskey (6-4, 220, Sr.), De La Salle (Concord)

DL Kayvon Thibodeaux (6-5, 240, Sr.), Oaks Christian (Westlake Village)

LB De’Gabriel Floyd (6-2, 245, Sr.), Westlake (Westlake Village)

LB Justin Flowe (6-2, 225, Jr.), Upland

LB Henry To’oto’o (6-2, 230, Sr.), De La Salle (Concord)

DB Darion Green-Warren (6-0, 163, Jr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

DB Clark Phillips III (5-11, 178, Jr.), La Habra

DB Elias Ricks (6-2, 180, Jr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

DB Chris Steele (6-2, 187, Sr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

Second Team

DL Justin Houston (6-4, 190, Jr.), Junipero Serra (Gardena)

DL Jamar Sekona (6-3, 305, Jr.), Marin Catholic (Greenbrae)

DL Keyon Ware-Hudson (6-2, 298, Sr.), Mater Dei (Santa Ana)

DL Stephon Wright (6-4, 280, Sr.), Cathedral (Los Angeles)

LB Daniel Heimuli (6-2, 200, Sr.), Menlo-Atherton (Atherton)

LB Joshua Pakola (6-3, 267, Sr.), St. Francis (Mountain View)

LB Tristan Sinclair (6-2, 202, Sr.), San Ramon Valley (Danville)

DB Brandon Jones (5-10, 175, Jr.), Narbonne (Harbor City)

DB Trent McDuffie (5-11, 186, Sr.), St. John Bosco (Bellflower)

DB Asa Turner (6-4, 215, Sr.), Carlsbad

DB Macen Williams (5-10, 150, Jr.), Junipero Serra (Gardena)

SPECIAL TEAMS

K/P Ryan Sanborn (6-3, 195, Sr.), Francis Parker (San Diego)

Two of the players are out of state transfers. Not sure we can claim them as ours. Not really home grown.

He’s going to have his hands full competing against those guys for sure.

He’s not getting in over the WRs I seen tonight he didn’t look like much in the all American game Clemson loves to throw back shoulder fades so I’m sure that’ll be his bread and butter

Ngata might have been better going to a PAC 10 school. Doubt he will play much in his career at Clemson. Too many freshmen and sophs better receivers already there.

He'll definitely have his work cut out for him, I had no idea those Clemson WRs were only freshman/sophomores and played at the level they displayed. He might run into a Najee Harris situation, but it's all about competition and beating the other guy out. Next man up, there's always someone that earns that starting spot.

I bet you a million dollars he wont be as much as a day 3 pick in 2020...

I won’t go that far, as I think he’ll still end up being a top QB pick, but I do feel he is vastly overrated at the moment.

Like Tua the season before, people get too excited over winning a Nat’l title. I think both are NFL players, but they have so much talent around them and protection from elite o-lines that it’s tough to know exactly how good they might be.

Reactions: aztecpadre
He is just big and strong and plays fast," Swinney said of Ngata. "Great ball skills. Very sudden and twitchy. He is just a ready guy, a guy that gets it”

Travis Etienne tonight on freshman WR Joseph Ngata: “Just seeing him in his pads, he reminds me of Terrell Owens. Just his physique and the way he runs his routes and catches those balls.” #Clemson

He is just big and strong and plays fast," Swinney said of Ngata. "Great ball skills. Very sudden and twitchy. He is just a ready guy, a guy that gets it”

Travis Etienne tonight on freshman WR Joseph Ngata: “Just seeing him in his pads, he reminds me of Terrell Owens. Just his physique and the way he runs his routes and catches those balls.” #Clemson

It's early and nothing has been accomplished yet, but when the HC and veteran players on the team are talking about you already -- that's certainly not a bad thing.

Unlike some, I expect Joe to contribute this season sans injury. And he's very much a WR though I do think he could play TE too.

I really don't understand the naysaying regarding this kid. He's got all the tools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT