ADVERTISEMENT

Norcal players in 2017 NBA draft...

TwitterLegend

Sports Fanatic
Apr 17, 2015
Ivan Rabb announces he's leaving Cal and will sign with an agent... likely a mid-1st rnd pick right now, but who knows how pre-draft process shapes things eventually.

Jabari Bird probably the only senior from Norcal with a chance to get picked, not sure he gets drafted but could see him finding a spot even if undrafted. Athletic 6'6 2-guard that can shoot, the NBA likes those guys.

Kinda expect both Cameron Oliver and DJ Wilson to declare as well, but no official word yet, we can keep this thread going as things develop.

Let me know if I forgot anyone else.

Reactions: slick58
I like Cameron Oliver's game alot thought he did himself good by returning
to nevada for another year expanded his range on his shot.

Reactions: slick58 and MC415
My 2 pennies.

Rabb should have left last year. His stock has fallen to probably later in the first round and possibly early 2nd round. He didn't dominate and often disappeared in games. He isn't the sort of guy either who will "blow" up a pre-draft workout like the kid from Pleasant Grove did. Rabb doesn't do that many things special. Average athlete, average foul shooter, below average shot blocker, doesn't face up that great.. What he does well is rebound. The kid has a good nose for the ball. He also is very good around the basket with either hand.

My gut says he measures at 6"9 1/2 (he's not 6"11) and his frame doesn't allow him to carry that much weight. Small shoulders and midsection. I could see him as a 9-11 guy on a team.

I'm mixed on Bird. I like his size and ability to extend the floor. Something says he will find a way on an NBA roster and contribute. He can also defend. I could see him as a late 2nd.

Cameron Oliver- Wow. I was high on this kid coming out of Grant. NBA body in HS. Huge hands, long and chiseled. Finishes big time. Big time upside. I would take a chance on him. I think he could be a gem.

My 2 pennies.

Rabb should have left last year. His stock has fallen to probably later in the first round and possibly early 2nd round. He didn't dominate and often disappeared in games. He isn't the sort of guy either who will "blow" up a pre-draft workout like the kid from Pleasant Grove did. Rabb doesn't do that many things special. Average athlete, average foul shooter, below average shot blocker, doesn't face up that great.. What he does well is rebound. The kid has a good nose for the ball. He also is very good around the basket with either hand.

My gut says he measures at 6"9 1/2 (he's not 6"11) and his frame doesn't allow him to carry that much weight. Small shoulders and midsection. I could see him as a 9-11 guy on a team.

I'm mixed on Bird. I like his size and ability to extend the floor. Something says he will find a way on an NBA roster and contribute. He can also defend. I could see him as a late 2nd.

Cameron Oliver- Wow. I was high on this kid coming out of Grant. NBA body in HS. Huge hands, long and chiseled. Finishes big time. Big time upside. I would take a chance on him. I think he could be a gem.

I like Cam Oliver too but 6'8 PF's don't usually last in the NBA. Draymond is a rare exception.

True, but Cam Oliver is a long and powerful 6"8. He's probably got a 7ft wing span and bigger players don't disrupt him because he elevates so well. I know it sounds weird but "build" matters so much. Kwalhi Leonard is 6"7 on paper but his length lets him play with 6"11 guys no problem.

I like Cam Oliver too but 6'8 PF's don't usually last in the NBA. Draymond is a rare exception.

I can see him as a Kenneth Faried just with a better shot. Not sure if Oliver is as good a rebounder but that could be his focus.

True, but Cam Oliver is a long and powerful 6"8. He's probably got a 7ft wing span and bigger players don't disrupt him because he elevates so well. I know it sounds weird but "build" matters so much. Kwalhi Leonard is 6"7 on paper but his length lets him play with 6"11 guys no problem.

I can't see him of Rabb guarding Blake Griffin or LaMarcus Aldridge, Zach Randolph I could go on.

I can't see him of Rabb guarding Blake Griffin or LaMarcus Aldridge, Zach Randolph I could go on.

True power 4's that bang down low is not the norm anymore, if you can switch out and guard with length, rebound and get out run in space u have a place in the NBA

It seems like basketball changes every few years. You can go back to the power defense days of the Pistons, Knicks and Bulls. And the finesse days of the Lakers, Celtics. Even the times of the Rockets and others and now the 3 point shooting and the small lineups. It's when a team puts together a combination of players and it works. For example the Warriors bodies, it works. Look at today's Houston Rockets, it works. If Rabb gets with a combination of players that complement his body it will work. If he is on the wrong roster he will probably get traded a lot.

Last edited:
Rabb might have done himself a favor by staying. Don't quote me but under the new CBA that starts this year the players got a 45% raise and get to free agency faster with more money. Even as a mid first round pick you will get lottery type money from last year and closer to a degree.

Has Raab developed any game away from the low block? Oliver has the tools to be special in my opinion and D.J. Wilson has the game suited for today's NBA.

No Rabb hasn't developed any face up game. Not comfortable at all away from the basket. If you are looking at upside I would bet Oliver and DJ Wilson all day over Rabb. I really like DJ Wilson's game. Can play several spots and is very comfortable with the ball in his hands 30 feet from the hoop.

As for 1 year closer to a degree. I think that is a reach. Most of these lotto types have no desire to get a degree. Its not like he's 5 credits short. All I know is CBA players don't make squat.

Rabb was injured early in pre season and did not develop as projected by season's end. The question if he should have been 1 N Done vs return for 2nd year, that is his personal choice. To have a long NBA career, Rabb and every player who enters the league has to continue to work on aspects of their game and keep improving... (off season is not summer vacation, but time to work on skills development)

Bird will have to take the summer league invite/D league route to the league... but will see if he goes this route (small salary)... or international pro route where one can get a 6 figure salary... Historically, many with similar profiles like Bird give the D league route 1 or 2 years and if not a clear path to the league, move on and focus on overseas careers....
Bird needs to work on his handles where he can jab hard and drain his pull up 15 J. Really needs this incorporated into his game to create space as D drive him off the 3 point line.
Still has good hops... and his J has improved from his HS days.. his mid range J is pretty good.. just needs to continue to work on his handles for a 2 at pro level.

Recent local HS stars who have done the D league/International Pro route:
Will Cherry/Mack cup of coffee in NBA
Brandon Ashley/Dowd
Jabari Brown/Oakland cup of coffee in NBA
Drew Gordon/Mitty cup of coffee in NBA

Who predicted Tyler Johnson's long NBA career when he was a local HS star?

Good luck to both local hs McD AA.

Last edited:
No Rabb hasn't developed any face up game. Not comfortable at all away from the basket. If you are looking at upside I would bet Oliver and DJ Wilson all day over Rabb. I really like DJ Wilson's game. Can play several spots and is very comfortable with the ball in his hands 30 feet from the hoop.

As for 1 year closer to a degree. I think that is a reach. Most of these lotto types have no desire to get a degree. Its not like he's 5 credits short. All I know is CBA players don't make squat.
I think they were talking about the collective bargaining agreement. Not the defunct CBA league.

Cameron Oliver made it official last week. Entering the draft but has not yet signed an agent. I think he stays in, seems like a pretty solid bet to get drafted (2nd rnd maybe), makes sense.

The league is moving towards roster construction that will look something like Florida State's team. You'll have your two guards be interchangable and are in that 6'0-6'3 range and your SF,PF,C will all be 6'11 or taller, shoot threes/plays D/change shots. If you are 6'4-6'9, you better have a special skill or be Draymond Green or you will most likely toil on the bench. In the near future you will just see a bunch of Porzingis, Giannis guys running with a bunch of Westbrooks, Hardens, Fultzs. The game evolves. Not sure I will like it but it is what it is.

The league is moving towards roster construction that will look something like Florida State's team. You'll have your two guards be interchangable and are in that 6'0-6'3 range and your SF,PF,C will all be 6'11 or taller, shoot threes/plays D/change shots. If you are 6'4-6'9, you better have a special skill or be Draymond Green or you will most likely toil on the bench. In the near future you will just see a bunch of Porzingis, Giannis guys running with a bunch of Westbrooks, Hardens, Fultzs. The game evolves. Not sure I will like it but it is what it is.

Here is an article from The Guardian you might enjoy reading as it speaks to your point:
Size matters: the evolution of the NBA big man

DJ Wilson announced today that he is entering the draft but not signing with an agent... ESPN's Chad Ford calls him a late 1st rnd pick, if that's the case #HEGONE

What transpired with Marquis athletically between his soph and Sr year was insane. Just became a freakish athlete. I love rabbit, but of Bird can show the league he can stay healthy for any length of time I see him becoming at least a number 8 player on a team. Cam Oliver has tools, once he gets more skilled he can make a team very happy. Has the NBA athleticism and motor. DJ Wilson has not even scrapped the surface, he maybe just be testing the waters for workouts and evans. It's about opportunity look at Zac Collins, it's about being hot. 3 years ago we watched Rabb dominate him, Jeter, and Zimmerman now they have him going as high as 12?. It's about when your hot and what's in the draft, Malik Pope may have cost himself millions, by staying.

Very well said per Rabb LL33. He should have left last year. This has always been my position and I stated it several times last year on this forum. He should fire his adviser.[/QUOTE]

No matter where you are taken, you end up sticking or not if you go to the right situation and if you have substance beyond the "wow workouts." Marquese Chriss had a lot of buzz, but has shown substance and ended up in a great spot. A team that was willing to play him regardless of mistakes.

No matter where you are taken, you end up sticking or not if you go to the right situation and if you have substance beyond the "wow workouts." Marquese Chriss had a lot of buzz, but has shown substance and ended up in a great spot. A team that was willing to play him regardless of mistakes.
Lottery Guys usually stick for the most part.... Its starts getting scary after the 14th pick. The D-League is full of late 1st Rounders.

Lottery Guys usually stick for the most part.... Its starts getting scary after the 14th pick. The D-League is full of late 1st Rounders.

Good call. For fun I went back to the 2012 draft where guys are now off their rookie deals and everything is still in the NBA.. 2011 has only one guy out of the league from the lottery.

Learn something everyday.

Very well said per Rabb LL33. He should have left last year. This has always been my position and I stated it several times last year on this forum. He should fire his adviser.
[/QUOTE]

You really have to look at how "hot" your status is. I agree with you. Its too bad for RABB because he seems like the ideal type of human who you want being on your team. Hopefully he can land in a good spot and contribute.

Not sure about Collins but he wasn't an option on a very old Zags team. He just might be a lot better than we know.

All I know is it would be really hard to pass on Lonzo Ball. I just see a potential triple double guy soon. He is going to get 10 assist per game fairly easy. But he rebounds excellent for a guard and has good size. His weakness is offense but that wasn't really what makes him great in the first place. I'm a believer.

Saw Darin Johnson's name on Draftexpress early entry list.... He sat a year at Northridge after transferring from UW so he probably already graduated and decided to start overseas/Dleague pro career. With Dleague salaries going up to a liveable wage, might see more and more guys leaving early even if no shot at getting drafted by NBA. If you want to play ball for a living at some level, some might choose to start sooner.

Saw Darin Johnson's name on Draftexpress early entry list.... He sat a year at Northridge after transferring from UW so he probably already graduated and decided to start overseas/Dleague pro career. With Dleague salaries going up to a liveable wage, might see more and more guys leaving early even if no shot at getting drafted by NBA. If you want to play ball for a living at some level, some might choose to start sooner.

I don't think D League salaries are going up to a "liveable wage".

A-Level contracts are $26,000, B-Level contracts are $19,500.

that sounds like the current structure, I had heard with the new NBA CBA next season it was going to be more in the $50K-75K range. Not totally sure though....

that sounds like the current structure, I had heard with the new NBA CBA next season it was going to be more in the $50K-75K range. Not totally sure though....

That would certainly be a lot more than the current structure. I think Kentucky pays more than that. ;)

You really have to look at how "hot" your status is. I agree with you. Its too bad for RABB because he seems like the ideal type of human who you want being on your team. Hopefully he can land in a good spot and contribute.

Not sure about Collins but he wasn't an option on a very old Zags team. He just might be a lot better than we know.

All I know is it would be really hard to pass on Lonzo Ball. I just see a potential triple double guy soon. He is going to get 10 assist per game fairly easy. But he rebounds excellent for a guard and has good size. His weakness is offense but that wasn't really what makes him great in the first place. I'm a believer.

Collins had a really good season both offensively and defensively. He had limited minutes for two reasons. One, he was stuck behind Karnowski a 5th year senior. And, two, he struggled staying out of foul trouble. Gonzaga probably wins the national championship if he stays out of foul trouble against UNC. His potential is through the roof. He could be a very good NBA player once he fills out.

Ivan Rabb and DJ Wilson currently at the NBA Draft Combine doing testing/measurements/interviews only...

Cameron Oliver also attending and he is playing 5 on 5 games, along with testing/measurements/interviews...

Good luck to all 3!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT