ADVERTISEMENT

Locals selected in NBA Draft

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
17. Milwaukee Bucks: DJ Wilson Michigan (Capital Christian)

Wilson is a bit of a surprise here. He stretches the floor and he's a great athlete, but he's got a reputation for being soft in the paint. His ability to guard on the perimeter was the big appeal for the Bucks. I think they reached, but the upside is clear

35. Memphis Grizzlies: Ivan Rabb Cal (Bishop O'Dowd)

Rabb looked like a potential lottery pick after a solid freshman season at Cal. He decided he wasn't ready for the NBA and surprised scouts with his decision to play another year of college. The thinking was that he'd get physically stronger and his offensive game would blossom. Unfortunately, neither really happened in a significant way. Still, he had a good season and showed improvement as a shooter. While scouts don't see a future superstar with Rabb, they do project him as a potential starter or solid rotation player who should be in the league a long time.

56. Boston Celtics: Jabari Bird Cal (Salesian)

Bird has prototypical size and athleticism for the shooting guard position, but he needs to develop a better game all around. His lack of rebounds and steals are a concern for scouts.

Notes are from Chad Ford of ESPN on their draft tracker - http://www.espn.com/nba/draft/rounds/_/round/2

Mixed bag for Norcal on the night...

Awesome to see DJ Wilson climb so high, he was damn near a lotto pick!

Was disappointed to see Ivan slip to 2nd rnd, I think he will have a 10 year career in the NBA still, so would make him a great steal at the place he was taken...

Was totally shocked to see Bird's name called but glad it was. Sucks we didn't get to actually see his name called though since he was drafted during the commercial break (they literally didn't even talk about this pick at all), still cool to see his name pop up. Hope he can stick!

The guy I really feel for is Cameron Oliver. Thought he was a lock to go 2nd rnd, but now he will have to go the hard way. heard he's signed with Houston already but doubt it's guaranteed so he will have to make the team still. Best of luck to him, great kid.

One more name who wasn't drafted but saw he had a bunch of predraft workouts, Ike Iroegbu... Expect someone will pick him up for summer league.

Re: Cam Oliver...

Unless they've changed the rules since I last looked, I understand that no 2nd-rounders get guaranteed contracts anyway. Due to this, is some ways being a free agent who can try out with anyone he chooses (if they let him) can be a better situation for a guy than being locked-in with the team who drafted him until they choose to release him (which often is too late for him to latch on with another team).

You feel bad for Rabb because he was a legit 8-12 last year and that unfortunately costs him a lot in terms of dollars. Just seems that his game doesn't translate well to the next level and in playing another year at CAL much of his weaknesses were exposed. whereas a kid like DJ Wilson is ideal. Long and can guard 3 different positions. You never know though.

Bird might just be better than people think. He was hurt a lot at CAL and think of a guy like Crabbe who found a nice home in Portland at 6"6 and similar games.

Jabari has to work on his handles and lateral quickness.. His D has improved over the past few years..... but is always a work in progress for all college players moving to the league.

Nice form on his J from college 3 as well as very nice pull up J... but needs better handles to create space....
Jabari always has had hops...

Best of luck to all NorCal players now trying to get into the league this summer/fall.

I have a good feeling about Bird. I think there is a spot in a league for a player like him. He already has good NBA range so if he continues to develop there is no reason he can't make a roster. But I agree his ball handling will need to improve because he will be asked to handle a little I'm sure. Surprisingly by NBA standards he is just an "average" athlete in terms of quickness and jumping. That is scary because at Salesian he was a highlight film.

Anybody else feel Rabb will have a tough time adjusting? He does't face up that well and he will get pushed off the block with his frame. He's 6"9 1/2 which makes him basically the same size as TJ Leaf who is a much better face up player and can develop into a stretch 4. Got more of that euro style. Who knows maybe he was a steal in the second round. Seems like a hard worker and good kid so hoping the best.

If Rabb can add a mid range shot he will be fine.I see him as a Larry Nance JR type player

I'm actually high on Oliver landing in Houston. They need a big athletic body that can bang down low and get boards. Cam fits that mold perfectly.

The NBA is weird. Totally opposite of the NFL even though it's a more athletic league. The NBA drafts potential. The NFL drafts for now. Bell falling into the Warriors lap shows how weird the NBA execs are. Bell is a freak athlete, legit defender, rebounder, shot blocker, yet second rounder. From what I've read Warriors wanted Oliver or Bell. Oliver is better shooter but Bell is a slightly better athlete.

The only difference between when the Warriors sucked to now is they stopped drafting and signing maybes. Not all of their late draft picks have worked but they can at least play. Majority of teams are selecting 18 year olds as lottery picks that may develop in a few years. A guy like Oliver has the body to play now.

Last edited:
Reactions: SacCoach1
I have a good feeling about Bird. I think there is a spot in a league for a player like him. He already has good NBA range so if he continues to develop there is no reason he can't make a roster. But I agree his ball handling will need to improve because he will be asked to handle a little I'm sure. Surprisingly by NBA standards he is just an "average" athlete in terms of quickness and jumping. That is scary because at Salesian he was a highlight film.

Anybody else feel Rabb will have a tough time adjusting? He does't face up that well and he will get pushed off the block with his frame. He's 6"9 1/2 which makes him basically the same size as TJ Leaf who is a much better face up player and can develop into a stretch 4. Got more of that euro style. Who knows maybe he was a steal in the second round. Seems like a hard worker and good kid so hoping the best.

I think he has a chance because he landed at a good location. Pre draft I was reading San Antonio as a landing spot.

The NBA is sorta position less now. Centers are non existent and 6'9 is great size in some personal groups. Heck Curry had more rebounds than probably every big in the finals. Rabb just needs to find a niche.

Warriors getting Bell was nice. Bell was a difference maker in the NCAA tourney with his shot blocking and rebounding. He is in that freak athlete category and plays with a motor that doesn't quit. Very limited offensively but he knows his role and plays well within it. Not sure there was better shock blocker in college basketball last year than bell. Those instincts can't be taught.

Rabb and Nance JR are totally different players. Rabb game is so much about back to the basket and the NBA has changed like somebody mentioned. Gone are the days of setting it up and dumping it into the post.

I like Oliver too. There is a spot in this league for somebody that athletic and he has potential not yet tapped.

Larry Nance Jr is one of the most athletic players in the league... Obviously you don't watch much NBA

Obviously your reading comprehension is bad.If he adds a mid range shot his game will compare.Nance was nothing more than a garbage collector on offense until he started hitting mid range now he has pushed that out to the three point line.Can Rabb do that? I don't know but that's what he needs to do and if he does than yes their games will be similar good lord

Obviously your reading comprehension is bad.If he adds a mid range shot his game will compare.Nance was nothing more than a garbage collector on offense until he started hitting mid range now he has pushed that out to the three point line.Can Rabb do that? I don't know but that's what he needs to do and if he does than yes their games will be similar good lord
The athleticism will still not be there... Nance is all about jumping out of the gym catching lobs, offensive rebounds

The athleticism will still not be there... Nance is all about jumping out of the gym catching lobs, offensive rebounds

So what, what they will be asked to do on the floor will be the same as long as Rabb can secure a mid range shot.Play defense,rebound bring some energy and keep the defense honest with an occasional jump shot

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT