ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal Regional Games by Sections

FBAddict

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2002
The regional games were generally well matched. When looking at the regional games wins by section, we get a good idea of how each section faired. The following is the tally of wins going into the state SBG games.

Note that CCS Serra and SFS Lincoln had regional game byes.
-Also the CCS, NCS and SJS sections had games against inner-sectional teams so naturally these sections had to realize a loss each.
-And the D7AA game was a SBG game, not a regional game, so the NCS has already won a SBG game for its state tally

CCS 5 slots, 3 SBG games - 60%, 1 bye and 1 forced loss by inner-sectional game
NCS 7 slots, 5 SBG games - 71%, 1 SBG win already and 1 forced loss by inner-sectional game
NS 3 slots, 1 SBG game - 33%
OS 1 slot, 1 SBG game - 100%
SFS 1 slot, 1 SBG game - 100%, 1 bye
SJS 7 slots, 3 SBG games - 43%, 1 forced loss by inner-sectional game.

The NCS sections appears to be doing the best this year. Last year, they were toward the bottom of regional game wins. Taking in consideration its inner-sectional forced loss, the NCS could have won 6 out of 7 slots.

For those interested, the SoCal section tallies:
CS - 6 slots, 4 SBG games 67%, Assuming the D7AA was a SBG game and not a RBG game, there were only 2 CS teams representing NorCal this year. And only one is representing NorCal in the SBG games.
LAS - 4 slots, 2 SBG games, 50%
SDS - 6 slots, 3 SBG games, 50%
SS - 14 slots, 7 SBG games, 50%

Edited to correct a NCS mistake

Last edited:
Wouldn’t SRV playing Marin Catholic also be an inner-sectional game where the NCS was also guaranteed a loss?
You are totally right - just missed that one... which means with a forced loss in the NCS section, one could argue NCS is even stronger compared to other sections this year.

Note: I edited the original message to correct this error.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEOC89
The regional games were generally well matched. When looking at the regional games wins by section, we get a good idea of how each section faired. The following is the tally of wins going into the state SBG games.

Note that CCS Serra and SFS Lincoln had regional game byes.
-Also both the CCS and SJS had games against inner-sectional teams so naturally both sections had to realize a loss each.
-And the D7AA game was a SBG game, not a regional game, so the NCS has already won a SBG game for its state tally

CCS 5 slots, 3 SBG games - 60%, 1 bye and 1 forced loss by inner-sectional game
NCS 7 slots, 5 SBG games - 71%, 1 SBG win already
NS 3 slots, 1 SBG game - 33%
OS 1 slot, 1 SBG game - 100%
SFS 1 slot, 1 SBG game - 100%, 1 bye
SJS 7 slots, 3 SBG games - 43%, 1 forced loss by inner-sectional game.

The NCS sections appears to be doing the best this year. Last year, they were toward the bottom of regional game wins.

For those interested, the SoCal section tallies:
CS - 6 slots, 4 SBG games 67%, Assuming the D7AA was a SBG game and not a RBG game, there were only 2 CS teams representing NorCal this year. And only one is representing NorCal in the SBG games.
LAS - 4 slots, 2 SBG games, 50%
SDS - 6 slots, 3 SBG games, 50%
SS - 14 slots, 7 SBG games, 50%
You really shouldnt include CCS performance here in comparison to other sections. They are the only section who send the 1st, 9th, 17th, 25th and 32nd place teams in the section to the regional games. I dont mind equity based bowl games, but CCS calling them section champs is kind of a joke.

You really shouldnt include CCS performance here in comparison to other sections. They are the only section who send the 1st, 9th, 17th, 25th and 32nd place teams in the section to the regional games. I dont mind equity based bowl games, but CCS calling them section champs is kind of a joke.
What I don't understand is why fans think the section titles belong to them. They don't. They belong to the sections.

So many elitists on here thinking that only the top few teams deserve recognition. No section can have 8 rounds of playoffs to eliminate everyone you deem to not be worthy. There have to be multiple divisions and the sections have to determine how to break up the teams and place them. No section advances #s 1-5 to the regional CIF games.

Was El Cerrito top 5 in the NCS? San Marin? Pinole Valley? Where would they rank within that section? Why target the CCS when every single section does something similar?

By the way, all of the above applies to the CIF state championships, too.

El Cerrito, San Marin & Pinole Valley might very well be top 5 for their enrollment divisions in NCS. A team like Bellarmine with 1,600 boys (although many of whom are just academically inclined) is having a great time playing the smaller schools in the lower divisions. For a large WCAL school, if they’re not one of the top 8 schools for the open, their season should just end.
But I’m sure the state championship will bring lifetime memories and nobody will ever remember how it happened. Good for them, but I just question the process.

Reactions: THEOC89
All the opinions and disagreements about sectional divisions will continue and even have widespread merit until we gain a sectional-based division consistently dictated by CIF. And maybe by that time, we will have a true state playoff system. IMO, since the RBG and SBG games are equity-based, it makes sense to have sectional divisions based on equity as well. That is exactly how the CCS divisions are set up. Some other sections are presently introducing modified equity systems too. Let's hope the CIF will move in the direction of divisional consistently.

IMO, since the RBG and SBG games are equity-based, it makes sense to have sectional divisions based on equity as well. That is exactly how the CCS divisions are set up. Some other sections are presently introducing modified equity systems too. Let's hope the CIF will move in the direction of divisional consistently.
This is true and also the NCS's worst nightmare.

El Cerrito, San Marin & Pinole Valley might very well be top 5 for their enrollment divisions in NCS. A team like Bellarmine with 1,600 boys (although many of whom are just academically inclined) is having a great time playing the smaller schools in the lower divisions. For a large WCAL school, if they’re not one of the top 8 schools for the open, their season should just end.
But I’m sure the state championship will bring lifetime memories and nobody will ever remember how it happened. Good for them, but I just question the process.
Yada yada yada enrollment blah blah blah. The NCS is the outlier. No one is going to move in that direction. It's a losing battle. It's time to move into the 21st century.

You are totally right - just missed that one... which means with a forced loss in the NCS section, one could argue NCS is even stronger compared to other sections this year.

Note: I edited the original message to correct this error.
One could also argue that the NCS is just setup for the benefit a small handful of stronger programs at the expense of the vast majority that are weaker.

Orange slices for everyone! Lol

There is no CCS Open Division.

James Logan belongs in the NCS Open, but SRV and CVC don't? GTFO with that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT