ADVERTISEMENT

NorCal top five

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Would it be fair to speculate that, as of Dec. 24, the top five are: 1. SMS; 2. Miramonte; 3. Mitty; 4. Pinewood; 5. O'Dowd?

Would it be fair to speculate that, as of Dec. 24, the top five are: 1. SMS; 2. Miramonte; 3. Mitty; 4. Pinewood; 5. O'Dowd?

I think that looks pretty good for now. But numbers 4 and 5 may not be able to hold on to those slots in the end.

I clearly agree with SMS at 1 but would have Mitty at 2 as they have played a much tougher schedule so far and proven at a higher level than Miramonte to this point.
Pinewood is good no really sold on O'dowd but can't think who would be better choice at this point...lol.

I clearly agree with SMS at 1 but would have Mitty at 2 as they have played a much tougher schedule so far and proven at a higher level than Miramonte to this point.
Pinewood is good no really sold on O'dowd but can't think who would be better choice at this point...lol.

Before the Arizona T.O.C. I would have thought Miramonte were definitely a notch better than Mitty. But my guess is that experience will make Mitty a better team than they were going into the tournament. And Mitty proved they could play with SMS. So I'm sure they would not be scared or beaten by Miramonte before tip off. I still would give Miramonte the slight edge over Mitty.

Yes, Pinewood is good and very well coached. I think they are always a threat. But having one of their best players "Stella" out definitely doesn't make them a better team without her. So again 1-3 are pretty safe locks at this point. 4 and 5 will be challenged for the 4th and 5th spot in my opinion.

I think 1, 2, and 3 look right. And as everyone else has mentioned, I think 4 and 5 are up in the air. Pinewood has some good wins, BOD beat a couple of Hawaii teams in Hawaii (no small feat). Oak Ridge maybe, but not a very tough schedule. Valley Christian SJ also might make some noise this year, but they'll probably pick up 3 or 4 WCAL losses before hitting the playoffs. St Francis MV is undefeated, but against a very easy schedule. And don't forget about Brookside. They have some losses but against a really tough schedule. And we shouldn't disrespect them because of their obnoxious fans.

On another topic, I think we can all agree that jazzpt was wrong about Archbishop Mitty not deserving to be in the Joe Smith division at the TOC. (Right jazzpt, you'll concede that point?) So now I'd like to hear his opinion about whether they deserve to be in the Xcellent25 this week.

Speaking of the Xcellent25, when was the last time three NorCal teams were in that list, and no SoCal teams?

Looks like Vanden, Carondelet, and SHC are all struggling a bit. I'm sure they'll all bounce back for the playoffs. Vanden's 0 - 4 trip to the TOC may not be what they needed right now.

I think BOD, Salesian, Sacred Heart, Vanden, Carondelet, Pinewood, SI, BC & McClatchey will have a day before it is all over. I think we have twelve open caliber teams but only 6-8 will make it.

I agree, I don't think BC goes open which will
Leave for a big showdown with Cardinal Newman.

Looks like Vanden, Carondelet, and SHC are all struggling a bit. I'm sure they'll all bounce back for the playoffs. Vanden's 0 - 4 trip to the TOC may not be what they needed right now.

Question for those who know a little more about high school girls hoops and SHC than I do. Why are they struggling when they were the team that probably had the best chance of knocking off SMS last season. I know one of their best players graduated last season. Did they lose others who were pretty significant? Is anyone injured? I don't see Brittney Cedeno a very talented sophomore on their roster? I know Miramonte is a good and very well coached team but.......I would have never guess SHC would lose to anyone by 40 points. Can anyone explain what's going on with that team?

SHC will be there when it matters. They have talent and are well coached. MM and SM Stockton are very similar in that if you don't match up or they get going down hill on you it can get ugly.

The teams SM Stockton clobbered at the TOC were very good but it can be tough on teams when teams like SMS and MM get rolling.

Have faith in SHC and Carondelet. Too much talent on both squads for them to struggle for long.

My opinion with Clark playing in January will help McClachy but they real missing key to their success last year was Garcia. She the difference maker without her they are little better the average. Clark will improve there guard play but there missing the presents of a big like Garcia.

SHC lost to 3 good teams and 2 of the lost under 5 poonts. The only big lost was MM at MM house a road game. They will probably win there league note that one.

Carondelet will be good but not the last couple of years.

Last edited:
My opinion with Clark playing in January will help McClachy but they real missing key to their success last year was Garcia. She the difference maker without her they are little better the average. Clark will improve there guard play but there missing the presents of a big like Garcia.

SHC lost to 3 good teams and 2 of the lost under 5 poonts. The only big lost was MM at MM house a road game. They will probably win there league note that one.

Carondelet will be good but not the last couple of years.
RespectBBGame,

Do you know if SHC has anyone injured or out for other reasons? Does anyone know whether or not if Brittney Cedeno is playing on varsity or JV again this season? I know Brittney had a couple of back to back injuries, but she is definitely one of my favorite young players. My thought is her parents don't want to rush her back too soon? Again I am surprised with their 40 point loss. I know the other losses were to good teams and that is understandable. And I agree if healthy and at full strength I expect them to be a team to include in the late season mix.

Last edited:
Paytc she not even in the rooster for SHC this year and I'm not surprised with 40 point lost at MM playing MM in there house. For some reason MM haven't lost at MM since the 2010-2011 but have lost to teams they blew out at home on the road in sections makes people wounder sometimes. Last section the won is in 2012. Some am I surprise SHC and Brookside have lost by 40 not at all.

Just to let you know those are facts look it up?????

As far as McClatchy I was told that Clark was deemed ineligible for a year by the SJS

Paytc she not even in the rooster for SHC this year and I'm not surprised with 40 point lost at MM playing MM in there house. For some reason MM haven't lost at MM since the 2010-2011 but have lost to teams they blew out at home on the road in sections makes people wounder sometimes. Last section the won is in 2012. Some am I surprise SHC and Brookside have lost by 40 not at all.

Just to let you know those are facts look it up?????

That's unfortunate about Brittney. I do hope she is healthy and gets to play a couple of good years in high school if healthy enough.

Not sure I can defend a good and well coached team losing by 40 under any circumstances. But I will agree I have witnessed two games where Miramonte were the benefactors of very questionable officiating. Just to back that up I will name the games for those who have issues whenever a person speaks out against higher authority or questionable acts of human beings.

The first questionable game was two years ago when Miramonte beat Carondelet 92 to 87 at Carondelet. And the second time was I believe that same season, or the year after, when Miramonte beat Pinewood at Miramonte. Both games had the same questionable ref officiating the games.

Now I still think Miramonte played well enough from players to the coach to win those games. But they had a bit of help no doubt. And who can deny the game is not always played fairly? We are dealing with humans who are far from perfect and some are cheaters. I am by no means calling Miramonte or Kelly cheaters. The ref could have been a fan of the team or a relative? At any rate.....
you must find a way to "Win Anyway." Beat the team you are playing and the refs if that's the challenge the circumstances presents.

Last edited:
Paytc Carondelet is a Cal Star team bad example if you are using them. Not saying cheat but win is the last time they won they section 2012. Thats all I got to say!!! Heard something else but I heard some thing big going on but I wont believe it until it happens. I heard it might change the landscape in the private section of coaching.

Paytc Carondelet is a Cal Star team bad example if you are using them. Not saying cheat but win is the last time they won they section 2012. Thats all I got to say!!! Heard something else but I heard some thing big going on but I wont believe it until it happens. I heard it might change the landscape in the private section of coaching.

All good. Hopefully things work out in the best interest of the children. Obviously Cal Stars has players on several of the good teams out there. So who do you think the benefit goes to when those Cal Stars players play against Miramonte? And every player on the team doesn't usually play for Cal Stars. It may help many Cal Stars players get priority over other players even when they are not necessarily better than those they get priority over. I think often times there are little clicks within some teams.That definitely happens for some reason or another. Of course the better coaches don't play favorites and do a better job developing players and making playing time earned, not just freely awarded. They also do what is in the best interest of the team and each players development.They simply put the best players on the floor. Better coaches break up clicks and make players play united as one team. Some people and some coaches have more integrity than others. That is why some are more respected than others and have more success. It's also why some hold on to their jobs longer. Or decide for themselves when they want to move on.

Last edited:
Who has not won section since 2012? Carondelet won 2013, 2014 and lost in 2015. Miramonte won in 2014 and again in 2015. O'Dowd won the previous 5 years and MM won 4 of the previous 5 years. All this is on their section website. I think The last 11 years Muramonte and O'Dowd have won 5 sections each with El Cerrito ??? Winning one. Mitty in a bit of a dry spell but it has worked out for them due to not going open. This year the Monarchs will reign supreme!

Clicks should not be a part of a team. Strong coaching eliminates that pretty quickly.

RespectBBGame,

Do you know if SHC has anyone injured or out for other reasons? Does anyone know whether or not if Brittney Cedeno is playing on varsity or JV again this season? I know Brittney had a couple of back to back injuries, but she is definitely one of my favorite young players. My thought is her parents don't want to rush her back too soon. Again I am surprised with their 40 point loss. I know the other losses were to good teams and that is understandable. And I agree if healthy and at full strength I expect them to be a team to include in the late season mix.

Brittney Cedeno is no longer attending SHC...she transferred to another high school in SF.

Brittney Cedeno is no longer attending SHC...she transferred to another high school in SF.
Thanks for the information northbaybbguru. I'm glad she is not out injured. Too bad she is not at SHC because I'm sure she would only make them a better team. I wonder why the move to SSF High school. Comparable education, less cost? Hopefully it wasn't a result from politics? Because it's really a disgrace when coaches jack around good players because they have the power to do so. From all I know SHC has a good coach. So my guess is that was not the case. Whatever the cause, I wish Brittney and family nothing but the best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT