ADVERTISEMENT

HMB sits @ 5-0 how far will they go in new format?

GOTF

Hall of Famer
Jun 5, 2011
If I understand it correctly.... No longer is it possible in CCS for an "A -league" team to play a " B-league " team in post season play.

If this is truly the case what would HMB's post season look like?

Could we be looking at another Sutter vs HMB in the NORCAL FINAL?

Just checked the CCS website. Div. 1 and 2 "A" league teams only. Division 3 and 4 - A and B league teams only. Division 5 - B and C league teams only. "C" league teams can only play in Division 5. There was talk about keeping "A" league teams out of Division 4 but that did not come to pass.

If I understand it correctly.... No longer is it possible in CCS for an "A -league" team to play a " B-league " team in post season play.

If this is truly the case what would HMB's post season look like?

Could we be looking at another Sutter vs HMB in the NORCAL FINAL?
They can still play D2 and D3....Carmel (in a B league) and Palma (in an A league) will probably be in there. Both are dangerous.

Palma will most likely be in D-II, but Carmel in D-III will be tough for anyone. HMB can not play higher than D-III.
If Palma loses to Soquel and Monterey, they will be close to dropping to DIII. I thought I saw somewhere that they would have been DIII last year even without the forfeits. It would probably be best for a competitive division for them to end up in DIII. Otherwise its likely that Carmel and HMB will roll through everyone.

Reactions: NorCalSportsFan
If Palma loses to Soquel and Monterey, they will be close to dropping to DIII. I thought I saw somewhere that they would have been DIII last year even without the forfeits. It would probably be best for a competitive division for them to end up in DIII. Otherwise its likely that Carmel and HMB will roll through everyone.
What makes you think Palma will lose to Monterey? Certainly possible, but the results on the field so far don't suggest that.

Wondering where Cardinal Newman may end up in regionals. They could be a tough in the lower divisions.
If they remain on their current path, it's unlikely they'll be competing in the regionals. Right now, they're slated to be in NCS D-1, which means they'll have to go through SRV, Pitt, or even DLS to make it to the state playoffs. I think they're good, but not that good.

What makes you think Palma will lose to Monterey? Certainly possible, but the results on the field so far don't suggest that.

What makes you think Monterey can't beat Palma? Palma will struggle with teams that spread the field and are faster than them. Emarrcis Turner did whatever he wanted to Palma DBs. I would imagine Kavon Collins will do the same. Their offense is one dimensional. You won't shut down Eli Dukes and the run game, but you can play disciplined football and limit the big plays. Can Monterey play disciplined football for 4 quarters is a big question. I think its a 50/50 game. I wasn't there, but I heard Monterey appeared to be the superior team in the scrimmage against Palma. Ya I know it was just a scrimmage.

Curious have you actually seen Monterey play?

Reactions: aztecpadre
Wondering where Cardinal Newman may end up in regionals. They could be a tough in the lower divisions.
Good chance they wont make it to the regionlas. They could possibly drop one to Windsor or MC, but if they run the table I’d bet they get pulled up to NCS D-1/Open.

If they remain on their current path, it's unlikely they'll be competing in the regionals. Right now, they're slated to be in NCS D-1, which means they'll have to go through SRV, Pitt, or even DLS to make it to the state playoffs. I think they're good, but not that good.
Need to read through the thread before reply and I waste key strokes 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: aztecpadre
What makes you think Monterey can't beat Palma? Palma will struggle with teams that spread the field and are faster than them. Emarrcis Turner did whatever he wanted to Palma DBs. I would imagine Kavon Collins will do the same. Their offense is one dimensional. You won't shut down Eli Dukes and the run game, but you can play disciplined football and limit the big plays. Can Monterey play disciplined football for 4 quarters is a big question. I think its a 50/50 game. I wasn't there, but I heard Monterey appeared to be the superior team in the scrimmage against Palma. Ya I know it was just a scrimmage.

Curious have you actually seen Monterey play?
I think Palma will beat Monterey. Defense is better this year (very quick and tough against the run) and Monterey will have a tough time stopping Palma ball control offense. Palma defense made a couple mistakes letting a WR get behind them against Salinas and Monterey has some speed but so does Palma. Monterey QB is a load but don't see them being able to keep it going for 4 quarters. Salinas is a better team than Monterey. Salinas and Soquel game is going to be interesting and close. Palma lines will prevail this year and wear Monterey down which they didn't last season (my opinion). Both Palma RBs are fast and very hard runners. Sophs Dukes and Hernandez are legit D1 prospects (Dukes younger brother on the frosh team is another one to watch). Palma Soquel is another story. I think that could be close as well, but got to favor Soquel

I think Palma will beat Monterey. Defense is better this year (very quick and tough against the run) and Monterey will have a tough time stopping Palma ball control offense. Palma defense made a couple mistakes letting a WR get behind them against Salinas and Monterey has some speed but so does Palma. Monterey QB is a load but don't see them being able to keep it going for 4 quarters. Salinas is a better team than Monterey. Salinas and Soquel game is going to be interesting and close. Palma lines will prevail this year and wear Monterey down which they didn't last season (my opinion). Both Palma RBs are fast and very hard runners. Sophs Dukes and Hernandez are legit D1 prospects (Dukes younger brother on the frosh team is another one to watch). Palma Soquel is another story. I think that could be close as well, but got to favor Soquel
Monterey is a tough team to predict. They are capable of beating and playing with all the big teams in the area. They are also capable of losing to a mid tier team. We saw it happen last year and this is a team that returns majority of their core players. We are several weeks away from that match up so we will see. Monterey has Soquel the week before so tough back to back games. This game is not a shoo in for Palma to win. The Gab is much closer than people think. It feels like a year that there could be a share of the Gab title between 2-3 teams. I don't see any team running away with it. If there is an undefeated team at the end, I can promise it wasn't an easy path.

Monterey is a tough team to predict. They are capable of beating and playing with all the big teams in the area. They are also capable of losing to a mid tier team. We saw it happen last year and this is a team that returns majority of their core players. We are several weeks away from that match up so we will see. Monterey has Soquel the week before so tough back to back games. This game is not a shoo in for Palma to win. The Gab is much closer than people think. It feels like a year that there could be a share of the Gab title between 2-3 teams. I don't see any team running away with it. If there is an undefeated team at the end, I can promise it wasn't an easy path.
The 'Dores have been one of the biggest disappointments for me so far. I was really expecting them to be nipping at the heels of Salinas and Soquel. Now, it seems they may not even finish 3rd. There doesn't seem to have been much growth/improvement over last year.

I think both Palma and Monterey will have to watch out for Hollister, too. I was surprised they beat Aptos so easily.

Hollister plays Palma well when Palma doesn't have strong passing attack. This yearso far passing is average. Not terrible but needs more work, They have good WRs but QB is still getting experience and better. Hollister defense usually defends run well. I think you are right that it could be a matchup with Palma. Monterey seems like they don't have the lines they had last season.

• Haha
Reactions: thehookup55
The 'Dores have been one of the biggest disappointments for me so far. I was really expecting them to be nipping at the heels of Salinas and Soquel. Now, it seems they may not even finish 3rd. There doesn't seem to have been much growth/improvement over last year.

I think both Palma and Monterey will have to watch out for Hollister, too. I was surprised they beat Aptos so easily.
Have you seen them play? Just curious. I do agree that they have been a disappointment. We all know their talent is capable of playing at a higher level.

Also agree Monterey has been disappointing. Watched Carmel beat them by a couple of scores and I dare say if the Carmel coach was coaching Monterey that score may have very well gone in favor of Monterey. Just my gut feeling.

Reactions: FormerD1Backer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT