ADVERTISEMENT

Sacramento State to build 25,000 seat football stadium

I think Sac State should go for it. It's really not a massive leap. It's a big leap but it's also the next leap. Playing with USC, Oregon, Washington, is a massive leap. While Oregon State and Washington state are great programs, the major conferences ( Big10, SEC, Big12, ACC) did not reach out to them. OSU and WSU were linked or grouped in with the MWC.

OSU and WSU have great facilities but they lack on proximity. With improved facilities, it's possible that Sac State would become a more attractive destination for California/National recruits. Especially since your family members from the Sac, Bay, Central Valley, So Cal, can make all of your home games.

It's good all the way around. Our kids need to grow up seeing FBS football. Sac area Football will be better for it!

Athletes will flock to Sac region.

Reactions: THEOC89
moist and plump was right
Yeah…no. When he made his comment stating they we about to announce playing at G1C or Arco Arena , he was not being truthful. It’s my understanding, Ranadive’s offer of G1C, is just that - an offer, and one that rolled in over the last 48 hours. Could we see big games at G1C? Of course. But no way that facility becomes home for the sac st men’s and women’s basketball team long term.

Also, the $50M is promised money over a 10 year span, and with a caveat “ONLY if the Hornets are accepted unto the Pac12”.

I get the media market size, but I haven't seen that move the needle much in pro sports so I don't think it is a major card to play for conference realignment. And yes facilities improvements help the overall brand, but at a 25k seat stadium, would it still be the smallest stadium in the Pac-12 or MW?

In regards to hurting overall athletics, I think a move up to the Pac-12 if they become a power conference will mean having to pony up a big number in NIL to be competitive. Is there money in and around athletics at Sac State to do that year after year?

I love what Sacramento State has done with athletics, especially in football the past few years. Been to a handful of games and it is a cool atmosphere.

Overall, I think a lot of these conference moves are made without much long tem outlook and think some schools will regret these moves in the next 5-10 years.
I wouldn’t overlook the impact of media market size in conference realignment especially in football. The main factor for realignment are the tv deals. ESPN for example benefits greatly from Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC because they have a $3B tv rights deal for SEC football and basketball. FOX, CBS, ESPN, and any other major tv rights owners want all the largest markets they can put together and this new pac 12 conference still needs a new TV rights deal. So if they can fill the conference with the best of the MW + OS and WS then looking for the largest available media market geographically feasible could be a reasonable option in the short term to get a decent deal until a larger expansion to a full 12 team conference.

I think UCONN struggled with this when they left the Big East in a football driven move and turned it around (with baskeball) by going back to the Big East. Probably the best example of buyer's remorse when it comes to conference realignment.

I think schools like Maryland leavaing the ACC is another example of a school hurting their brand.

And my issue with Sacramento State is they seem to be in a good spot with their athletics (from an outside perspective) and they are potentialy jumping two levels to the Pac-12 whereas the other schools would be jumping one level. And I'm not saying those schools you mentioned aren't open to some of the same issues. They are. I just don't get Sac State trying to force their way to the table when we don't know what the table looks like and if they will keep having the resources to stay at that table.

Again, I would be a huge fan if this move works out. It would be great to have another local program in a major conference. I just think it has pitfalls that many are glossing over.

Thanks for further explaining your POV. I really was interested in understanding. Much appreciated!

Reactions: Streak One
Its a massive leap still. I agree with Streak.
1. Going from FCS to FBS factor 1.0
2. Going from Big Sky to Pac 12 anote 1.0, which is weaker than the old Pac 12 but light years better than Big Sky.

baby steps people
What’s the talent gap in football from Sac St to Colorado state ? Utah state? San Diego state (they’re awful right now) ? It’s not that big at all with a big NIL transfer fund mixed in with rich local talent ? Give them 2-3 years they will be right in the mix easily…….you’re telling me the lure of living in Pullman, Corvallis, Logan, Fort Collins, Fresno is too much for Sac State to overcome?

Eff baby steps, Larry. That’s a mindset of playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. Sac State has been doing that for most of the past 40 years. Time to put all their cards on the table and strike while the iron is hot (or at least luke warm lol). See where it takes them.

Another thing not being considered is timing. Timing is everything. Sitting around waiting for the stars to align just perfectly is a recipe for failure and missing the proverbial boat.

What’s going on with D1 FBS athletics and realignment is unprecedented. But it’s happening now! This type of potential for change hasn’t come around often, if at all. Sometimes you just have to go all in when the opportunity arises, even if the timing isn’t ideal. Because you don’t know if/when there will be another opportunity.

In Sac State’s case, they are riding a 5-year wave of success and increased interest/attendance in their flagship football program. They are receiving unprecedented support from the city/KINGS/Sac-12. And possibly even the Sac Republic. Not reaching for the stars given all those circumstances would be shortsighted.

Lastly, wrt competing a couple steps up (as some have put it), the Hornets football program has beaten Colorado State and Stanford in recent years. And played close competitive games against Arizona State, Fresno State, and Cal-Berkeley. A few years before that they beat Oregon State and Colorado.

They managed to do the above despite being an FCS program with far fewer scholarships to offer and resources/facilities to draw in more talent. If/when on more equal footing, I like their chances of competing on a more consistent basis. Especially against the caliber of programs currently in the PAC-12.

I mean, it’s not as if they’d be going into a conference with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, or even USC. Basketball wise, it’s not like they’ll be in conference with Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina.

Gonzaga is a top level basketball program, but nobody else currently in the conference are known as world beaters. Football wise, Boise has probably enjoyed the most success and even they aren’t considered a dominant program. As stated earlier, just 30 years ago they were in the same conference that Sac State is in now. A decade later they were upsetting Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

There’s no reason Sac State can’t follow the same path.

Last edited:
Eff baby steps, Larry. That’s a mindset of playing not to lose, rather than playing to win. Sac State has been doing that for most of the past 40 years. Time to put all their cards on the table and strike while the iron is hot (or at least luke warm lol). See where it takes them.

Another thing not being considered is timing. Timing is everything. Sitting around waiting for the stars to align just perfectly is a recipe for failure and missing the proverbial boat.

What’s going on with D1 FBS athletics and realignment is unprecedented. But it’s happening now! This type of potential for change hasn’t come around often, if at all. Sometimes you just have to go all in when the opportunity arises, even if the timing isn’t ideal. Because you don’t know if/when there will be another opportunity.

In Sac State’s case, they are riding a 5-year wave of success and increased interest/attendance in their flagship football program. They are receiving unprecedented support from the city/KINGS/Sac-12. And possibly even the Sac Republic. Not reaching for the stars given all those circumstances would be shortsighted.

Lastly, wrt competing a couple steps up (as some have put it), the Hornets football program has beaten Colorado State and Stanford in recent years. And played close competitive games against Arizona State, Fresno State, and Cal-Berkeley. A few years before that they beat Oregon State and Colorado.

They managed to do the above despite being an FCS program with far fewer scholarships to offer and resources/facilities to draw in more talent. If/when on more equal footing, I like their chances of competing on a more consistent basis. Especially against the caliber of programs currently in the PAC-12.

I mean, it’s not as if they’d be going into a conference with Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, or even USC. Basketball wise, it’s not like they’ll be in conference with Duke, Kentucky or North Carolina.

Gonzaga is a top level basketball program, but nobody else currently in the conference are known as world beaters. Football wise, Boise has probably enjoyed the most success and even they aren’t considered a dominant program. As stated earlier, just 30 years ago they were in the same conference that Sac State is in now. A decade later they were upsetting Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl.

I was skeptical about the leap but you make some good points Thunder. Who knows when this opportunity will ever come again and they should strike while the iron is hot and they have all this momentum.

…Gonzaga is a top level basketball program, but nobody else currently in the conference are known as world beaters…a

“World Beaters”? No. But San Diego St has built a pretty decent hoops program.

I’d love to see Sac St join this conference!

Don’t forget, Hornets beat CSU by 4 TDS a few years back. StingersUp

Reactions: MC415

Actually these are pretty solid points. I’m bit of a gambler and do agree gotta strike when the iron is hot.

With the portal and NIL this is the best CFB has ever been and the numbers support it. People absolutely love this new era of CFB. So yes you don’t want to be left behind. Again it could crumble and I do think there will be changes and I do think it is fluid. But if you don’t try you don’t want to be on the sideline left behind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT