ADVERTISEMENT

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA BASEBALL COACH OF THE YEAR

He is connected, slick, and very polished. His uniform color identifies what comes out of his mouth perfectly.

Bla Bla Bla!!

"Integrity, leadership and accountability must not be a requirement" WHAT?

You can not give one example for your statement, if you can, I'll eat crow! so let's hear it!!

or maybe it's not appropriate on a public forum?

BLA BLA BLA Same old BS just another year.

Interesting that they vote on this in April before league championships or playoffs have been decided. Not that SF won't run the table, but there is no gaurantee that they will.

Good point. Interesting that they wait to announce it until late in the 2014 season.

It looks like this is for all sports in the 2013-2014 school year, so they had to make a decision prior to the conclusion of the spring sports playoffs.
This post was edited on 5/1 2:03 PM by observer22

The original snake oil salesman. I can see for 2013 being CCS I champs. But has he ever won an outright WCAL championship - considering all the talent that finds its way to Mountain View. Let's not talk about end of league season, but league playoffs when it trully counts, where a head coach earns his pay. Hasnt proved to be the best X/O coach in league. Let's assumes he gives back to the community in some capacity (and Fiios is still on board with CCS).

In all honestly, of late, they made brown uniforms look good.

Vibe- typical arrogance re WCAL being more important than CCS. That's just ridiculous. To all of you, I know Coach Oakland since he was at Santa Clara and the guy is a good coach and a great guy. I have the same respect for Coach Hutton, Coach Diatte, and Coach Rodriguez (those are my references ). The disparaging remarks have gotten old.

@buttesink

You are in denial, seriously. Think its BS? Sounds like you've been drinking the kool aid too.

You want examples? Well here you go.

This guy has broken every rule in the book for illegal recruiting. Ever heard of undue influence? He will do whatever it takes to get the players he wants. Im sure that there are others on this board that can attest to that. It has been happening since he showed up on campus.

This guy has double standards and allows his "star" players to skate while others are held to a higher standard. You don't have to watch many games to see how some of his players show up and disrespect their opponents and the game. Not many coaches would not tolerate that crap, regardless of how talented the players might be.

Many people saw what happened after the CCS championship game last year. There's lots more to that very ugly story that most people don't know about too. And the whole thing was nicely swept under the rug with no consequences for the offenders at all. Hmmm, I wonder why….

So why don't you get off your high horse and take a hard look in the mirror? Or maybe go eat some of that crow you were talking about?

And to NCSF, you come across like you know everything, but you don't. Your not going to bully people on here into thinking this guy flies straight because they know better. Like the old saying goes, if it smells like a rat, it's a rat…

Joe,

Come on, you need to show your intelligence here.
Undue influence? You kidding me

Again where is your fact's, you have none and I and I'm sure all that are lurking here would like to hear them also.
FACT'S, lets hear it

"This guy has double standards and allows his "star" players to skate
while others are held to a higher standard. You don't have to watch many
games to see how some of his players show up and disrespect their
opponents and the game. Not many coaches would not tolerate that crap,
regardless of how talented the players might be"

Your way over the top here :) You have no grasp of the program, star player skate? in what way.
You name these players, YOU CAN'T

"players show up and disrespect their"
opponents and the game" Name One, AGAIN YOU CAN'T.

If your going to mention John Gavin"s fist pump, you need to do hell of a lot better. Sure it's immature, he's a kid!! and I know he's getting barked at for doing it but you should know that the chirping comes from both sides and if you don't know that you need to open your eyes a little more at the yard. John will learn to stop that at the next level when his team mate wears one in the ear hole.

What happened at CCS Championship, this is going to back and forth and it's too bad it ended that way. SF player excited to join the "dog pile" bumps a Serra catcher that's upset for the lost and tempers fly. Words exchange of course, Intentional, far from it but you make it what you want. That battle amongst this class started 3 years ago in a parking lot before a game, Again it goes both ways!!

STATE YOUR FACT'S ON OAKLAND, YOU HAVE NONE

NCSF - Have lots of respect for your post.

As it's true the difference between WCAL title and CCS (in baseball) is a lot thinner than basketball and football, there is something for us old WCAL type, that indicate an out-right WCAL title is more difficult to capture than a CCS title. It's one thing to capture the seed, another thing to handle your pitching staff and line-up for the ultimate prize in WCAL.

Look, I go back to where only four teams qualified, and the "point" meant you had to be beaten twice. In my opinion, that makes ALL league games important, leading up to playoffs.

This is a far reaching example: as it may play out this year. I would hate to see St. Francis play SHC in first round and lose to a pitcher who has the game of his life. In my opinion that waters down title, and forces the coach to depend or make decision on pitching order. For whatever reason Coach Oakland hasnt quite been able to figure that out yet in 5-day, 3 game league playoff-maybe this year.

A safe bet for me is always Coach Hutton, he always has his teams playing better at the end of the year.
This post was edited on 5/2 9:09 AM by CityVibesII

http://www.wcalsports.org/docs/WCAL%2520RECORDS%2520BROCHURE%25202013%2520%25202014.pdf

This may open for you to view past titles

I believe that proves my observations. Since taking over the program, and arguably securing a high end of the talent of the South Bay and mid peninsula for past ten years, only one outright title in WCAL (2011?). Even so, didnt they lose in first round of 2011 of CCS (Palo Alto beating San Benito, which proves NCSF point).

Look, I give credit where credit is due, the guy has the knack of attractive quality ballplayers to a program with stiff competition from other competitive programs, both private and public (that has been chronicled). Their facilities alone, would convince any parent to hope their kid would want goes there. Christ, they have a kid from San Francisco on the team and historically from north peninsula. Again that is a parent decision. My argument is despite the advantages, he just cant quite finish the job (considering the talent) on the field. And that may be it, he may have too much talent (dont know the parentitis situation down there-dont wish that on any coach).

I don't know about years subsequent to 2011, but 2011 was a 'shared title' year with Mitty and SF 2011 was my son's senior year at Mitty and SF had Blandino, Goedell, etc... as seniors...all SF starters were destined for college or pro baseball. The two teams shared regular season title and SF won the tournament. But my understanding is that is considered a 'shared title' by the WCAL and both teams were introduced that way on the field after the tournament at SCU...as "co-champions," not outright.

SF was eliminated in 1st round of CCS by Carlmont and Mitty eliminated in semi-finals by Paly.

BTW, in 2010 Mitty won everything...regular season, tournament and CCS and ended season ranked #1 in CA by ESPN and CalHi Sports and #1 in the nation by rivals.com and Perfect Game. The latter stuff is just for the scrap books, but it is in those kids' scrapbooks nonetheless.

Someone above said something nice about Coach Hutton. I agree 110% Absolutely a class act in every way. Our family absolutely loved having our son play for him at Mitty. Classroom, mentor, communicator, teacher, coach...friend even. He has it all. I also think he's the best HS coach around. His teams do indeed get better by the end of the year and players within the team progress nicely over the course of HS. Thats the guy I'd send my sons too - wish I had sent my older son there. He thinks extremely highly of Coach Hutton as well - even though he never played for him.

For the record, as a parent who sent kids both through public and private schools...there is no question, whatsoever that the WCAL is tougher. Winning any title in that league is very difficult. But winning CCS is a fair amount harder in my view and felt the best of any of them when it happened in 2010.

This post was edited on 5/2 11:00 AM by atcshrk

Atcshrk. My point was winning final game (ie everybody jumps all over each other). I have respected Coach Hutton for many years. One of my first observation was him getting on a pitcher (in a constructive way)in a game v. a City WCAL team. Apparently it was too much for a City WCAL parent group to handle (coach yelling at little johnny). But I knew it was constructive, and the kid responded accordingly. He knows what buttons to push and push correctly. You are second person to disagree with me on WCAL v. CCS, and I will defer to both of you, (but only in baseball). All have good weekend.

Vibe- I'm a huge fan of Coach Hutton as a coach and a man. He has done more for high school baseball in Northern California than any coach in the last 20 years. Oh by the way, his teams consistently improve more than any in the section.

CityVibes - I probably agree with you on everything. 'Cept maybe the CCS/WCAL thing - but even on that I certainly admit others could feel differently. Just describing how it felt to me living it as a parent.

You have a good weekend too!
smile.r191677.gif

@buttesink

Funny how you glossed over recruiting issue. Maybe you can use your intelligence to read the rules, they are on the CCS website for all to see. If the CCS actually enforced this stuff, he would have been nailed a long time ago and everyone knows it. The reality is that rules violations are very difficult to prove unless someone comes forward and files a complaint.

I am not going to post any names. That said, there have been repeated instances of inappropriate behavior by players both on and off the field that have dealt with mildly or swept under the rug. So if you really have knowledge about this program you know that.

The on field stuff is totally unacceptable in my book. The normal HS banter is fine, but posing and screaming into the opponents dugout? Mocking the other players? Sending harassing and sexually implicit text messages to opponents after a game? Are you going to justify these actions by saying they are kids? Please…

Regarding the CCS championship fiasco, there is a lot more to the story there. The incident on the field is not what I am talking about. If you really had a "grasp" on the program you would know what I am talking about or maybe you are too arrogant to admit it.

Seriously, don't you think that after years of accusations against this coach and his program that there is truth in what is being said? Do you think that people just make stuff up because they don't like the brown jerseys? I don't think so. But there always seems to be one affected parent who comes on here and defends him when something bubbles up. If you have such a good handle on this squeaky clean program then why don't you tell me why that is? There are many fine programs in the WCAL that are never discussed in a negative light. Hmmm…..

You really need to take off the rose colored glasses and see things for what they really are.

Glossed over recruiting issues? Hmmm and I did that how?

I asked you for your facts and again you have NONE.

I'll ask you again STATE YOUR FACTS

Let's see what ya come up with-- ZERO

I don't think anyone on this board has any intention of airing any dirty laundry on the board.

But if you would like to meet and discuss any of this stuff, there just may be a few posters that would take you up on it. There are some people that do not take this stuff lightly and have plenty of first hand information.

The fact is that there is no infractions wing of the CCS and most of the damage has been done.

But I know of some people that would be happy to talk about it and discuss the pros and cons, fact and fiction of many of these accusations. Maybe Coach Oakland would be up for joining.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT