ADVERTISEMENT

Oak Grove's Maurice Washington will sit out 2016/2017 season

The appeal decision letter noted he was denied unrestricted eligibility and that the transfer was "athletically motivated, centering almost entirely on the firing of the assistant football coach." He has to sit out of football for one year from his transfer date and will be eligible for basketball after the designated sit out period.

The appeal decision letter noted he was denied unrestricted eligibility and that the transfer was "athletically motivated, centering almost entirely on the firing of the assistant football coach." He has to sit out of football for one year from his transfer date and will be eligible for basketball after the designated sit out period.

Them's the rules show us consistency

Can someone explain why the transfer rules in SoCal seem much more lax than NorCal, and specifically the CCS?

Tough ruling on a high school kid. So what if it was athletically motivated. The rules should be made to support student athletes advancement, not look for ways to penalize them. Athletics can open the door for opportunities at the next level to get into a great academic school, possibly get a scholarship in some cases, and it is not just D1 kids.

Reactions: kingofkings3
Bet there's been a load of prior transfers motivated by athletics, but not apparent at the time, so were allowed to play....especially when transferring to a private school. Seems like a tough rule to consistently enforce unless its always just an absolute no.

Over the years the enforcement has been sporadic at best & as often pointed out "too heavy handed" by the CCS in dealing with 16-17 high school student athletes. A temporary "sit-out" is one thing, but to ban for a 1-year period is quite another and harsh IMO.

Reactions: Bubba3000
This whole topic is a catch 22. On one end, you have the football/basketball factory schools that get transfers that you know the main reason is the program. Yes academics are listed as a reason (and it can be both reasons), but parents are willing to move or have a temporary place in the school area or relatives take in the player so that the athlete can transfer and play at a particular program. On the other hand, there are cases where the student for personal reasons or parent for some reason (in some cases it is financial when a student transfers from a private to public) transfers and some seem valid reasons and others not and the student athlete might be penalized or not. I think in most cases the 4 game sit out is fine if the transfer is in the same section. Just make it mandatory unless there is an extraordinary circumstance (e.g., safety of the student and needs to move, etc.).

In Washington's case, I think it could be athletically motivated but also points to some circumstances that would seem to warrrant only the sit out for 4 games. I think based on the SportsFocus interview, the young man had some personal issues at the school as far as relating and feeling comfortable in the school, He seems to raise some valid points and he did go through the tragic loss of a parent and that in itself is a very difficult event to overcome. If it were me, I would have the following policy:

Underclass transfers that had a year in varsity sport
1) 4 game sit out for intrasection transfers (that way probably one league game is missed) with a few exceptions (as mentioned above). There should also be some minimal academic requirements and the student can play only after those requirements are achieved. Each section can have its own rules for transfer between sections including adjacent sections. I think the 4 game rule should apply to all unless the residence move is legitimate such that for example residence moves do to change of job, or athlete moves with other parent, etc. Unless its clear a parent maintains two residences to circumvent a rule its probably bset to just have the sit out and in fact just get rid of the move rules and just implement a mandatory sit out. That will keep the courts out of it.

2) May be basketball has a transfer has to miss 8 games (40% of season to equate to football). A two sport athlete would sacrifice sitting out for both.

Since each section has different rules as well as school districts, the state sections should move towards a common rules and just have the mandatory sit out again unless student safety is an issue and reason for transfer.

As far as the Washington case and in most cases, the 4 games sit out is fine. He would be a junior and would have the rest of the season and next season. If a senior transfers, the student athlete would have junior season and much of the senior season as far as playing time and ability to obtain college exposure. As long as the athlete meets the academic requirements, and is a good citizen (not under school disciplinary action), they should be able to play.

Lame rule period. Kids should be able to transfer at least once without fear of losing a year of playing a sport they love. You only get 4 years of high school sports to take a full year away just seems way to harsh. Sometimes people just aren't happy where they are at and need to move on, for whatever the reason may be. Sports, Academics, Social, whatever. Why force kids to stay where they aren't happy, or ever going to play, etc.....

Reactions: aztecpadre
Struggling to understand CCS's thought process on transfers. 4 years ago, Ben Kone transferred to Mitty from Salesian and played right away. The following year, Sebastian Much, transferred to Mitty and I recall he played immediately if not only sitting out until Jan 1. 2 seasons ago, Riordan Aussie transfer Robert Colton was ruled ineglible to play at all...

Struggling to understand CCS's thought process on transfers. 4 years ago, Ben Kone transferred to Mitty from Salesian and played right away. The following year, Sebastian Much, transferred to Mitty and I recall he played immediately if not only sitting out until Jan 1. 2 seasons ago, Riordan Aussie transfer Robert Colton was ruled ineglible to play at all...

Correct be if I'm wrong but doesn't NCS show more consistency in these types of rulings than CCS does?

This is bullshit. Oak Grove IS his home school. He lives around the corner. He didn't like TKA and wanted to go to the same school where all of his friends he's played with most his life. This is utter bullshit and will be fought. If the school wasn't Oak Grove nothing would have happened. And for someone very close to the situation, this is all TKA. Shame on them. They've been complaining about him leaving for the longest.

Why pay for a private school that you hate when you can go to your home school for free. Mind you, he's been there since January. Why does this ruling happen now?

I'm not a fan of any sort of penalty for athletically motivated transfers. If some can transfer for academics, music, etc., They should be able to transfer for athletics without penalty as well. Do junior transfers also have to sit out the spring musical?

The only exception I could see is for kids who were expelled from their previous school. I can see ineligibility in that case.

Can the kids transfer to a NCS, sjs Oakland San Francisco Section? Hate to see this happen to a student! It usually does not end well.....

The Sections are losing their direction. Every kid deserves at least 1 free transfer with no questions asked. This does far more damage than good. The kid should be cleared to play.

I personally believe every kid should be allowed one move and one move only in high school, no questions asked. What frustrates me is the inconsistency between and within the same sections both north and south.

I'm still trying to figure out why they punish teenagers for changing high schools. Why these adults who work for the CIF feel that there is a need to punish them for doing so boggles my mind. The kid is transferring to his public high school for crying out loud! If he is in good academic standing and didn't get kicked out of his previous high school I see no reason for punishing him and taking football away. Does the music/band student who transfers no longer participate in concerts/performances?

As mentioned in above threads...I don't understand the lack of consistency. Oak Grove has a couple other transfers it's waiting to hear on, and I'd be curious to see what their decision will be on the others.

I truly do wonder if he had made this decision before this past season if CCS would have come down as hard (Oak Grove was 5-6 in 2013 and 7-4 in 2014 before going 11-3 with a CCS Chip/NorCal bid in 2015). If it's true that TKA pushed this then shame on them for seeking vengeance against a kid. Maybe CCS should take a look at TKA since they've been getting a lot of transfers and the make up of their team is completely different then just a few years ago. Again consistency is all anyone would ask in this situation.

It's all about being "fair" -- agree, let the kid move and play. Enjoyed this argument: "Do junior transfers also have to sit out the spring musical?"

It's all about being "fair" -- agree, let the kid move and play. Enjoyed this argument: "Do junior transfers also have to sit out the spring musical?"

Over time I've softened my stance on this transfer thing. It still bothers me when it appears a kid is transferring just to get over but I don't believe that's always the case. Im still strongly against holding a good student back in school to make him a year older to gain a competitive advantage.

Reactions: 1315 and RunningRon
.....Im still strongly against holding a good student back in school to make him a year older to gain a competitive advantage.
Particularly if they demonstrate early academic proficiency at their "normal" class level - most 5th year high schoolers still end up as average high school athletes who don't move on.

I feel bad for this kid he lost out all around. The Kings academy is a real contender this season, not just for ccs but small school state. Oak Grove is not, The people around this kid are idiots, they gave bad advice stuck a kid in the middle of their non sense and the kid got screwed.

When I see a kid at Ohio State being told, "we know who you are" I laugh they tell 1000 kids that same story every year. It is to make you forget all the bad advice you just got so the idiots that told you to transfer can save face. The fact of the matter missing your jr year will ruin any chance of attending Ohio State. As we know the best QB in Northern California is currently committed to ball st. The same people giving the same advice, while the kids suffer and they run around hiding in the back ground.

Just like when I see the quarterback From TKA is camping at FSU, that means he is being groomed to transfer to IMG, Someone should tell his family how that worked out for Malik Henry.

I do not agree with this young man being suspended for a season, but people need to learn that being a pawn, has consequences. Kid just learned a valuable lesson never take advice from people who do not have to suffer the consequences with you or have never suffered the consequences. Your life, your talent, your opportunity not theirs.

Sure people are sticking by you now because they want to ride your coat tails to the NFL. When you don't make it to the NFL, these people will not be there for you, because it is a business relationship based on what you can do for them.

You can bet that attorneys are involved on this one. Don't be surprised if the penalty is reduced. But it has to happen fairly quickly at this point. And Nancy B. is gone. Which might be helpful in this matter.

It's a paradox: His interview on GetSportsFocus indicates that grades, isolation and proximity were the driving forces behind his decision. He and his mom say he's happier at OG - 5 min from home, lots of friends and improving grades. If his transfer was NOT athletically motivated, it appears to be a win for him. If his transfer WAS about football, then clearly he didn't make a smart choice and is suffering the consequences. Hard to stand on both sides of the fence.

I have read nothing to,think it was football motivated how did they determine this to be the case? He transferred to his neighborhood school. Seems to me hard to say football only if that's the case.

Reactions: Bubba3000
It's a paradox: His interview on GetSportsFocus indicates that grades, isolation and proximity were the driving forces behind his decision. He and his mom say he's happier at OG - 5 min from home, lots of friends and improving grades. If his transfer was NOT athletically motivated, it appears to be a win for him. If his transfer WAS about football, then clearly he didn't make a smart choice and is suffering the consequences. Hard to stand on both sides of the fence.

So let me see if I understand this post correctly. IF his decision were for personal circumstances regarding his surroundings and classes then this is a win-win situation for him, BUT IF it were about football as well then he "didn't make a smart choice".
One should not effect the other as Mr. Direct pointed out. Any student transferring from a private to a public should not be banned from the activities he or she previously participated in, whether football, band, drama, swimming or anything else IMO.

Reactions: Mr. Direct
Even IF his transfer was athletically motivated, he still transfered to his home school. He can always opt out of attending a PRIVATE school for a FREE public school. As someone that is close to the situation I'll just put it out there. He didn't like the vibe and feel of TKA. His mother wanted him to attend for the education and he hated it. All of his friends go to Oak Grove. The same kids he's been playing with since he was knee high. He's an Oak Grove kid. After some thought, his mother pulled him from TKA and enrolled him in Oak Grove. TKA became pissed. They lost their biggest weapon. So what did they do? They ran to the CCS and claimed that him leaving was athletically motivated. If he was at Santa Teresa or Andrew Hill, this wouldn't be an issue. He's been at Oak Grove since the Spring semester. Why now? Everyone close to the situation knows that TKA intitiated this and used the fact that he's a high profile athlete to influence the CCS's ruling. This is definitely being fought.

So let me see if I understand this post correctly. IF his decision were for personal circumstances regarding his surroundings and classes then this is a win-win situation for him, BUT IF it were about football as well then he "didn't make a smart choice".
One should not effect the other as Mr. Direct pointed out. Any student transferring from a private to a public should not be banned from the activities he or she previously participated in, whether football, band, drama, swimming or anything else IMO.
Please understand: I'm not debating the merits of the rule, although plenty on this post are. Nor am I implying that his reasons for transferring have to be mutually exclusive - they may be academically, personally AND athletically motivated, which is reasonable. I'm simply pointing out that I would think he'd be satisfied with the positive outcomes if (as he claims) those were the main reasons for his transfer, yet not be surprised about the athletic consequences. According to the rules, any transfer that appears athletically-motivated will have "no play" consequences. This is fairly common knowledge among CCS athletes. So, yes, if his decision was solely about football, it appears it wasn't a good one.

Please understand: I'm not debating the merits of the rule, although plenty on this post are. Nor am I implying that his reasons for transferring have to be mutually exclusive - they may be academically, personally AND athletically motivated, which is reasonable. I'm simply pointing out that I would think he'd be satisfied with the positive outcomes if (as he claims) those were the main reasons for his transfer, yet not be surprised about the athletic consequences. According to the rules, any transfer that appears athletically-motivated will have "no play" consequences. This is fairly common knowledge among CCS athletes. So, yes, if his decision was solely about football, it appears it wasn't a good one.

Even if he wanted to transfer for football, he should have the right since it's his home school. He was paying for a private school that has no boundaries. He should have the freedom to chose not to attend that school for any reason. I could see if this was a transfer between public schools or even privates, but he went from a private school to his HOME public school that he's forced to attend because of where he lives.

I feel bad for this kid he lost out all around. The Kings academy is a real contender this season, not just for ccs but small school state. Oak Grove is not, The people around this kid are idiots, they gave bad advice stuck a kid in the middle of their non sense and the kid got screwed.

When I see a kid at Ohio State being told, "we know who you are" I laugh they tell 1000 kids that same story every year. It is to make you forget all the bad advice you just got so the idiots that told you to transfer can save face. The fact of the matter missing your jr year will ruin any chance of attending Ohio State. As we know the best QB in Northern California is currently committed to ball st. The same people giving the same advice, while the kids suffer and they run around hiding in the back ground.

Just like when I see the quarterback From TKA is camping at FSU, that means he is being groomed to transfer to IMG, Someone should tell his family how that worked out for Malik Henry.

I do not agree with this young man being suspended for a season, but people need to learn that being a pawn, has consequences. Kid just learned a valuable lesson never take advice from people who do not have to suffer the consequences with you or have never suffered the consequences. Your life, your talent, your opportunity not theirs.

Sure people are sticking by you now because they want to ride your coat tails to the NFL. When you don't make it to the NFL, these people will not be there for you, because it is a business relationship based on what you can do for them.

So much wrong with this post I don't know where to start.

Even if he wanted to transfer for football, he should have the right since it's his home school. He was paying for a private school that has no boundaries. He should have the freedom to chose not to attend that school for any reason. I could see if this was a transfer between public schools or even privates, but he went from a private school to his HOME public school that he's forced to attend because of where he lives.
I can't speak to what his transfer rights should be - that's for the section to determine, I suppose. As for his freedom to choose and for whatever reason - absolutely. But choices come with consequences. And in this case, it's a harsh one.

Agreed - only it would be a bit harsher if this was your son.
It would be harsh for anyone's son. I feel badly for him. But it sounds like he's happier and doing well at OG so that's good news.

Last edited:
I still dont get why only athletes get singled out with these ridiculous transfer rules? Why can a student who is in say the band be allowed to transfer with no consequences? Only athletics gets singled out. No way in hell I'm ok with being told where and when my kid can go to his or her local school. He came from a private. I watched him play against Carmel in the playoffs and this kid is special. You only get four years of hsfb. Why punish the kid? Did he commit a crime? No. Just dumb. Anyways just my .02.

Reactions: Mr. Direct
Sounds like sour grapes from TKA...Private->Public school doesn't make sense to have him sit out an entire year.

As somebody who is close to the situation as was stated by someone else in an earlier post he transferred because they were unhappy with an assistant coach who was not retained. When they realized that assistant coach wasn't going to be retained mom was very unhappy. She sent letters to the principal and athletic director threatening to pull Maurice. The school responded by saying the assistant coach would not be retained. That was their decision. They would hope that Maurice would still go to the school. And soon after that she pulled him. The mom was talk to and Asked if she understood the CCS rules. She said she did. She did not think he would have to sit. The video was discouraging In that talk about how isolated Maurice felt. teachers really did reach out to him. there were so many people teachers who went out of their way to help Maurice. Teachers really cared about him. I can't speak of the isolation he felt with the students. He always seemed happy and carefree. But that doesn't always tell the whole story I understand that. I do understand he probably had more friends at Oak Grove and it's five minutes away. But the move was athletically motivated. If the coach were there I think he would be also.In 2015 two Kings player had to sit out the entire year for similar reasons. It didn't seem fair and they try to appeal but to no avail. TKA did nothing wrong in this situation. On the CCS form they have to disclose if the transfer was athletically motivated. Kings has to be honest and they were. There was a hearing family of maurice pleaded their case to a panel As a part of the appeal process. which CCS commissioner was not part of. they did not win their case.

Michael Johnson Jr. is not going to IMG.

I don't know if you're aware but TKA's Head Coach is Michael Johnson Sr., who is not only Michael Jr's father but a former NFL and Pac-12 Coach (was 49ers OC after Jimmy Raye was fired, was UCLA OC under Jim Mora before Noel Mazzone).

I will agree that it was a bad move on his part. For as up and down as TKA has been over the years they have put out some players, one of them being former 4-star RB Amir Carslile who decomitted from Stanford and went to USC for a year before transferring to Notre Dame (yes, Stanford, SC and ND in one sentence). Amir's father Duane was the strength and conditioning coach for thr 49ers before Harbaugh arrived and Frank Gore was often at TKA games watching Amir play.

TKA has a connection to the 49ers and perhaps that didn't register the way it should have with MW3 being the son of an NFL guy but it is a big deal. It's how a tiny Christian school ended up with an NFL calibur coach at the helm. No way Oak Grove pulls that rabbit out of their ass.

Maybe it is a front and maybe the Braun and the boy just put on a show to try and get some sympathy for their situation. Maybe they did recruit him. Who are we to say. I do believe sitting him out a year is way excessive. If that ends up the case him mom might as well ship him to IMG tomorrow.

Either that or Clayton Valley. Murphy will find a way to get him on the field.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT