ADVERTISEMENT

Oakdale Bud

rocknrolus 12

Superstar
Dec 20, 2017
Good luck to both DLS and Folsom. Hopefully no injuries and an entertaining game. But me I'm going to the biggest rival game in the south part of the Sac-Joaquin section. Sonora v Oakdale. Game 102 I believe. And to my Del Oro and Placer friends good luck!

So much for an Oakdale down year!!!

I have to say, I was very very surprised by the outcome of this game. A lot of people were predicting Sonora to win. I myself was worried and was not sure which way it would go. I rarely feel that way when we play Sonora. Still, it's only the first game of the season. This is a young team. I guess we will see what we really got when we play Archbishop Mitty next Saturday.

I have to say, I was very very surprised by the outcome of this game. A lot of people were predicting Sonora to win. I myself was worried and was not sure which way it would go. I rarely feel that way when we play Sonora. Still, it's only the first game of the season. This is a young team. I guess we will see what we really got when we play Archbishop Mitty next Saturday.
Last night it was numbers. Sonora had barely more than half as many players. The wildcats competed every play. Never gave up. Pursuing every play. Sonora will do well playing against school of the same size. Yes our rivals but much respect from both sides.

Reactions: championcif75
Very nice win by the stangs,they will be tough in D3 as usual.So NO dropping dn to D4 talk if they don’t win the VOL,lmao.In the words of the great Fred G Sanford “Are you crazy”rlmao,drop to D4...haha.

Last edited:
Oakdale sure avenged their opening week loss in Sonora 2 seasons ago. Huge statement.

Oakdale sure avenged their opening week loss in Sonora 2 seasons ago. Huge statement.
On paper...….Sonora should have won and even with only 30 players suited up, that's all you need...But on paper and the field its a different story...Like one of the guys said, the Mustangs reload or the kids take the next step up as Oakdale supports the Mustangs and the kids come out to play and win...

Reactions: RidgeRider
On paper...….Sonora should have won and even with only 30 players suited up, that's all you need...But on paper and the field its a different story...Like one of the guys said, the Mustangs reload or the kids take the next step up as Oakdale supports the Mustangs and the kids come out to play and win...

That, and I also firmly believe that Trent Merzon is one of the best coaches in CA. He's vastly underrated. His teams are always so damn fundamentally sound. They typically play good defense and compliment it with an effective offense -- usually via the ground. In a way, they are like a small public version of De La Salle. They have a similar formula of winning. And it all starts with the guy at the top.

189-45-1 since 2000. 4 Section titles. 2 NorCal titles. 1 State title. Pretty darn good.

Reactions: RidgeRider
That, and I also firmly believe that Trent Merzon is one of the best coaches in CA. He's vastly underrated. His teams are always so damn fundamentally sound. They typically play good defense and compliment it with an effective offense -- usually via the ground. In a way, they are like a small public version of De La Salle. They have a similar formula of winning. And it all starts with the guy at the top.

189-45-1 since 2000. 4 Section titles. 2 NorCal titles. 1 State title. Pretty darn good.
Thunder,rocknrolus posted in our auburn journal paper that if Oakdale doesn’t win the VOL(valley oak league)one of the toughest leagues around with the likes of Manteca,Central Catholic,Sierra and others that Oakdale would drop to D4 in the playoffs,i’m having a hard time believing that even more so now with your post and all those accomplishments.....I just don’t see that happening.Do you?

Thunder,rocknrolus posted in our auburn journal paper that if Oakdale doesn’t win the VOL(valley oak league)one of the toughest leagues around with the likes of Manteca,Central Catholic,Sierra and others that Oakdale would drop to D4 in the playoffs,i’m having a hard time believing that even more so now with your post and all those accomplishments.....I just don’t see that happening.Do you?

I suppose it's possible if they don't win VOL. But I wouldn't worry about it since Oakdale hasn't qualified D4 since 2008. I don't imagine their enrollment has seen a significant drop nor do I think enough schools with larger enrollment would qualify to push them down. But it is possible. Unlike CC, they don't qualify for the continued success rule.

The format from what I understand is if your league a D3-4 like VOL you win you go D3. So Placer by winning their new league a D3-4 Place goes D3 . The VOL is is kind of wicked in that it is aD3-4 league. But with Central Catholic being pushed up to D2 for playoffs it makes it a D2-3-4 league if you're still following me. Oakdale enrollment wise is D4 like Placer. If Oakdale wins VOL they go D3. If Placer wins it's league like Oakdale goes D3. If by some chance both Oakdale and Placer even though D4 by enrollment still play up. Basically the cost of continued success? You know I could be completely wrong on this.... .... The rumor was if Oakdale had won section last year like Central they would have been pushed up to D2 for playoffs From what I hear from friends is Central can be very competitive in D2 this year. But the big three as they known down here can all complete in D2. The VOL is a grind every year. I bet if you ask an Oakdale kid how they play football in Oakdale they pretty much all would say we grind.

I suppose it's possible if they don't win VOL. But I wouldn't worry about it since Oakdale hasn't qualified D4 since 2008. I don't imagine their enrollment has seen a significant drop nor do I think enough schools with larger enrollment would qualify to push them down. But it is possible. Unlike CC, they don't qualify for the continued success rule.
The continued success rule was three straight section championship you move up. If you win that division you go up again as in Central they won three straight moved up to D3 won. Thus the move to D2. There is another formula for going back down. But it hasn't happened yet so not familiar with that part of rule. I am a victim of public education so all this could be wrong?

And that's why Oakdale football is a pipeline to the US Marines. Like my nephew that played on Merzon's first section championship. Oh yes and wearing Trent's old high school # 10.

I read the same thing. I can't remember if blackhat posted it or If I read it in the Modesto bee. CC and Manteca are going to be our biggest games. If either one of those teams beat us we go to D4 from what I read. That a crock of S---. D4 really?

I read the same thing. I can't remember if blackhat posted it or If I read it in the Modesto bee. CC and Manteca are going to be our biggest games. If either one of those teams beat us we go to D4 from what I read. That a crock of S---. D4 really?
I believe Placer will win the FVL(Foothill Valley League)in its first yr in it,Lincoln will be strong and Nevada Union could be on the rise now that they left the SFL with all those monster D1 & D2 teams,Ponderosa I dunno and Rio Linda just got throttled by Center a team Placer usually beat in the PVL and beat in last yrs SJS D4 finals,so IF Placer and Oakdale both lose league there is a chance they could meet in D4?I believe both would do very well there,this yrs Placer is looking good so far and returns a boatload from a SJS D4 AA State loss to Crenshaw (46-43) last yr,if they drop to D4 I would be very surprised but I guess it could happen.....we’ll have to wait and see I guess.Go Placer

I believe Placer will win the FVL(Foothill Valley League)in its first yr in it,Lincoln will be strong and Nevada Union could be on the rise now that they left the SFL with all those monster D1 & D2 teams,Ponderosa I dunno and Rio Linda just got throttled by Center a team Placer usually beat in the PVL and beat in last yrs SJS D4 finals,so IF Placer and Oakdale both lose league there is a chance they could meet in D4?I believe both would do very well there,this yrs Placer is looking good so far and returns a boatload from a SJS D4 AA State loss to Crenshaw (46-43) last yr,if they drop to D4 I would be very surprised but I guess it could happen.....we’ll have to wait and see I guess.Go Placer

I miss the Placer/ Oakdale playoff games. I hope they both stay in D3 and meet up at some point in a playoff game or the Championship I'm actually living in Auburn now. I attended the Placer/Colfax game last season. Boy, what a game that was. I thought Colfax was going to win and Placer came back at the end of that game to win it. I also live streamed the State game. That was one heck of a game as well.

I miss the Placer/ Oakdale playoff games. I hope they both stay in D3 and meet up at some point in a playoff game or the Championship I'm actually living in Auburn now. I attended the Placer/Colfax game last season. Boy, what a game that was. I thought Colfax was going to win and Placer came back at the end of that game to win it. I also live streamed the State game. That was one heck of a game as well.

The next five Placer games are all home games. Come on out!

http://hillmenfootball.org/placer-football-schedule/

I won't be able to make it to every Oakdale game. The Manteca and Central game I will definitely be attending. But I have always had the upmost respect for Placer and their program. Small town, small school and a GREAT community, with GREAT support.

I will be at several games this season to watch Placer.Thank you for the schedule!!

Check Frontrowsports they have a couple of articles about kids from Oakdale making major impacts at other schools.

If this is correct, they could both end up in D4 even if they win their leagues:

http://www.auburnjournal.com/article/8/22/18/section-changes-football-2018
http://www.auburnjournal.com/article/8/22/18/section-changes-football-2018
"The Delta, Sierra Foothill and Tri-City Athletic leagues are all Division I. The teams emerging as champions of either of these leagues will automatically be placed in Division I for the playoffs regardless of enrollment.

"Champions in the lower-division leagues will be placed at or above their division. Teams with three consecutive section championships or four championships in a six-year span, will automatically be moved up one division."

I will be at several games this season to watch Placer.Thank you for the schedule!!
Play some ball,come on over and intro yourself we at Placer are good people,pay at the ticket booth make a quick left behind booth walk down 4-5 steps and say hello to the champ,lol.I sit right on the isle in big blue fold up chairs 3rd row dn,you can’t miss us.Welcome to Auburn and enjoy the fun,see you there........Champ. P.S just ask the Oakdale fans on here or other team fans what bad hosts we are(wink)lol.

Play some ball,come on over and intro yourself we at Placer are good people,pay at the ticket booth make a quick left behind booth walk down 4-5 steps and say hello to the champ,lol.I sit right on the isle in big blue fold up chairs 3rd row dn,you can’t miss us.Welcome to Auburn and enjoy the fun,see you there........Champ. P.S just ask the Oakdale fans on here or other team fans what bad hosts we are(wink)lol.
Champ will be easy to find. If you saw the movie look for the guy that looks like Treebeard.

No question about it, Oakdale is going to beat Mitty by 28 points, not going to be close. Mitty will be overwhelmed with the disciplined Wing T attack and an inexperienced coaching staff. I will say their Twitter seems to be going well for them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT