ADVERTISEMENT

Oakdale & Del Oro (stay in D3 & D2 for playofffs)

playsomeball

Sports Fanatic
Dec 29, 2010
The section committee made their decision. Both Oakdale and DO stay in their divisions for playoffs.
According to Blackhat football, Oakdale's loss to Folsom and DO losing their coach Casey Taylor made the decision easy.

Overall I think this is the right call. To get bumped up due to "continued success" criteria DO will be more challenged this year to "continue success" vs Oakdale. Both were in state title games last year where DO lost a close one and Oakdale rolled so obviously successful programs.

Jury is out how new DO coach "continues success" and DO is way down this year. I think you need to give Oakdale another year to see how compete through playoffs.

I don't get how "Oakdale loss to Folsom" weighs into this at all. Oakdale "competed" with Folsom a D1 team so if anything this should promote the case to move up Oakdale.

Reactions: awood1 and remc
Overall I think this is the right call. To get bumped up due to "continued success" criteria DO will be more challenged this year to "continue success" vs Oakdale. Both were in state title games last year where DO lost a close one and Oakdale rolled so obviously successful programs.

Jury is out how new DO coach "continues success" and DO is way down this year. I think you need to give Oakdale another year to see how compete through playoffs.

I don't get how "Oakdale loss to Folsom" weighs into this at all. Oakdale "competed" with Folsom a D1 team so if anything this should promote the case to move up Oakdale.

Yeah makes more sense to move them up if they can compete with Folsom that should assure a move up to d2

Those were my thoughts axactly. Oakdale was able to "compete" with Folsom, therefore I thought there would be NO question as to whether or not the section should move them to D2.

It is what it is, but I was hoping Oakdale would be moved to D2. Honestly, I feel the section may as well hand Oakdale the banner now. Oakdale is going to be the number one seed, which means they will get home field advantage for playoffs. Also, Oakdale has been in section finals, 2010,2011,2012-2014,2015,2016 and won 3 of those section titles.

As we all know, it is hard enough to get to sections. Just look at CB. Last season was the first time they have been to sections in 20 something years.

I was hoping to see some real competition this year. Talking close, hard fought games. So far, the only real competition was Folsom.

Looking forward to Nov 3rd when Oakdale plays CC!!!

Can you please cite where this 'decision' is documented? Otherwise, this is another rumor.

Oakdale moving up was pure rumor and speculation. They did not meet the established criteria for being moved up. Only an arbitrary decision by the selection committee could move them up and it would be outside of the criteria to move other schools.

Del Oro should be moved up to D1. They have met the Continued Success criteria (4 section titles in 6 years). They won section titles in in 2011 (D3), 2013 (D2), 2015 (D2) and 2016 (D2). This decision is not automatic, but the board has executed this decision every previous time a team has met the criteria. The decision is rendered by the board after a recommendation by the section commissioner and the executive committee. It has absolutely nothing to do with who is coaching the team.

Reactions: sierrafoothillking
Can you please cite where this 'decision' is documented? Otherwise, this is another rumor.

Oakdale moving up was pure rumor and speculation. They did not meet the established criteria for being moved up. Only an arbitrary decision by the selection committee could move them up and it would be outside of the criteria to move other schools.

Del Oro should be moved up to D1. They have met the Continued Success criteria (4 section titles in 6 years). They won section titles in in 2011 (D3), 2013 (D2), 2015 (D2) and 2016 (D2). This decision is not automatic, but the board has executed this decision every previous time a team has met the criteria. The decision is rendered by the board after a recommendation by the section commissioner and the executive committee. It has absolutely nothing to do with who is coaching the team.

Apparently, according to Richard Estrada, a former writer for Modesto Bee, whom started Blackhat football in 2013, announced this on twitter. According to Blackhat, Oakdale fell under the "continued success rule" and could have been promoted to D2 if committee voted to do so.

Apparently, according to Richard Estrada, a former writer for Modesto Bee, whom started Blackhat football in 2013, announced this on twitter. According to Blackhat, Oakdale fell under the "continued success rule" and could have been promoted to D2 if committee voted to do so.

Maybe they had state games in mind nor cal needs a good showing with a rule in place to send 2 of our very best for the top division why not look out for the small schools

He was wrong. Oakdale did not meet the Continued Success criteria:
1. Section finalist or semi-finalist four years in a row with at least one section title. (Nope. Finalist in 2014 and 2016, plus semi-finalist in 2015. Not a finalist or semifinalist in 2013. Before that, finalist in 2012.)
2. Four section titles in six years. (Nope. Section titles in 2012, 2014, 2016).

The committee is not 100% bound by this criteria. But for anyone to assume that they would be promoted up, that is just a WAG that it not based on reality.

If Oakdale plays in the section final game this year, then they will move up to D2 in 2018 for sure (Continued Success with finalist or semifinalist four consecutive years).

He was wrong. Oakdale did not meet the Continued Success criteria:
1. Section finalist or semi-finalist four years in a row with at least one section title. (Nope. Finalist in 2014 and 2016, plus semi-finalist in 2015. Not a finalist or semifinalist in 2013. Before that, finalist in 2012.)
2. Four section titles in six years. (Nope. Section titles in 2012, 2014, 2016).

The committee is not 100% bound by this criteria. But for anyone to assume that they would be promoted up, that is just a WAG that it not based on reality.

If Oakdale plays in the section final game this year, then they will move up to D2 in 2018 for sure (Continued Success with finalist or semifinalist four consecutive years).

I never said Oakdale got a section title 6 times. I said they have been in a section title game 6 times since 2010 and WON 3 titles in 6 years.

No brainer

My point with DO staying in D2 is good call for "this" year more for DO's sake. I'm good either way as the best team in either D2 or D1 will work itself out through the playoffs. "If" DO makes playoffs this year and is in D2 I expect teams like Indy may come out on top and if in D1 well we know there is one team in D1 playoffs DO has a match up challenge with. Eventually DO needs to figure out how to defend the spread and putting them in D1 playoffs should apply more pressure on them to get it done.

Would loved to have been a fly on the wall to understand the exact reasoning for their decisions.

A coach leaving is a decision? That sounds more like a lack of respect for the new coach having having success? Faulty thinking.

Technically, if the top of the SFL collapses, and DO finds a way to win league, they would be D1 anyway. In reality, DO will need to beat Woodcreek in Week 10 to even make playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT