ADVERTISEMENT

Open Division

It will be interesting to see if St Marys pulls off their press. Against Folsom in the first quarter, their full court pressure led to easy baskets and wide open 3s for Folsom. When they changed it up and went straight up man to man half court defense, they went on huge run and kept Folsom scoreless during a 5-6 minute stretch. I seem to remember 2 years ago, didn't Pinewood do the same in their upset at St Marys...and Coach Tom refused to pull it off. They broke the press and got their wide open 3s to win that game. Maybe he has learned a few things since that game. I was actually very surprised to see St Marys just play 1/2 court man to man like that. Not sure if Pinewood will be able to pull off the upset this year, I'm sure the seniors want payback. Should be a good one!
Oops, my bad, already looking at St Marys advancing tonight against BOD, LOL.

Man, guess I need to check the schedule again. St Marys playing CN tonight.

No. 8 Bishop O’Dowd at No. 1 Mitty
No. 5 Salesian at No. 4 Folsom
No. 3 Pinewood bye
No. 7 Cardinal Newman at No. 2 St. Mary’s

5:45 left in the 2nd quarter and CN has yet to score on SMS’s D. Score is 22-0.

With 5:14 to play in the first half, CN gets 2 FT’s to go in as SMS picked up their 7th team foul. Still no FG’s for CN.

Finally, with 4:12 left in the half, CN makes a bucket then follows it up with their first 3. 24-7. Could the momentum be swinging CN’s way?

With time expiring in the 3rd quarter, CN hits a long 3 deep corner at half court to pull within 25. 52-27 after 3.

Well..... I'm a little out of my element here as I've only been to about 5 high school girls basketball games in the past 5 years. That said, I've been fascinated by this discussion and following along closely. Kinda like the old agapbliitz saga of 2017! After putting all of the pieces together, a lot of what has been prophesied is becoming true! And the censorship of ideas and free flow of discussion on this topic has been alarming to say the least and leads me to believe there actually is more to the story! Lies are a dime a dozen and easily debunked, nobody is threatened by that. The truth though, is scary and dangerous and hits close to home! When folks start getting close to it, a common defense mechanism is to shut down and censor debate! It's absolutely tyrannical, but very effective! :)

Cardinal Newman no doubt is a GREAT basketball team. But after tonight's result, it appears they got screwed big time! They should have been a D1 team, preferential treatment to "Cal Stars"(AAU program to my knowledge?) allegedly paying off as some have suggested!

On the outside looking in, after you take the 8 "open" teams and you look at what's left in D1 on paper, I don't think anyone would have argued if St. Joe's and Miramonte were the 1 and 2 seeds right? I think Miramonte blew out the 2 seed Eastside prep. The fact that they drew the 3 and 4 seeds is a bit FISHY and shows that maybe some overcompensation was going on to try and justify all of this! ;) It also still allows two "Cal Stars" coaches to have a great shot at meeting each other in the D1 Norcal championship game! Just like some on here had forseen!

Let's dig a little deeper.... It makes you wonder if "Cal Stars" was only in this to just advance themselves ooooorrrrr....... were they also specifically targeting Cardinal Newman in the process in order to not have to play them in D1? Just throwing out an idea.

Check this out, I'm big into focus and the details and the little things:
-There is no way to logically deduce on paper that Cardinal Newman is better than St. Joe's this year.
-St. Joe's is the 3 seed in division 1 behind Presentation and Eastside Prep(who got annihilated by 4 seed Miramonte).
Deduction ----Therefore, Presentation and Eastside Prep should have also been in the Open over Cardinal Newman along with St. Joe's and Miramonte! Bam!

I really wanted to give ol' easy sweep Gil Lemmon and his partner the howlin' swede Roger Gates the benefit of the doubt here.... if it were just one or two things, you just let all of this go and call it a coincidence right? But, like my old Auntie Esther Peckerwood used to say "where there's smoke there's fire!" Soooooooo much circumstantial evidence is accumulating, it really does make you wonder...... well that, along with the censorship of discussion and free flow of ideas! Just me 2 cents.... back to boys basketball and UPSET CITY DOT COM

Well..... I'm a little out of my element here as I've only been to about 5 high school girls basketball games in the past 5 years. That said, I've been fascinated by this discussion and following along closely. Kinda like the old agapbliitz saga of 2017! After putting all of the pieces together, a lot of what has been prophesied is becoming true! And the censorship of ideas and free flow of discussion on this topic has been alarming to say the least and leads me to believe there actually is more to the story! Lies are a dime a dozen and easily debunked, nobody is threatened by that. The truth though, is scary and dangerous and hits close to home! When folks start getting close to it, a common defense mechanism is to shut down and censor debate! It's absolutely tyrannical, but very effective! :)

Cardinal Newman no doubt is a GREAT basketball team. But after tonight's result, it appears they got screwed big time! They should have been a D1 team, preferential treatment to "Cal Stars"(AAU program to my knowledge?) allegedly paying off as some have suggested!

On the outside looking in, after you take the 8 "open" teams and you look at what's left in D1 on paper, I don't think anyone would have argued if St. Joe's and Miramonte were the 1 and 2 seeds right? I think Miramonte blew out the 2 seed Eastside prep. The fact that they drew the 3 and 4 seeds is a bit FISHY and shows that maybe some overcompensation was going on to try and justify all of this! ;) It also still allows two "Cal Stars" coaches to have a great shot at meeting each other in the D1 Norcal championship game! Just like some on here had forseen!

Let's dig a little deeper.... It makes you wonder if "Cal Stars" was only in this to just advance themselves ooooorrrrr....... were they also specifically targeting Cardinal Newman in the process in order to not have to play them in D1? Just throwing out an idea.

Check this out, I'm big into focus and the details and the little things:
-There is no way to logically deduce on paper that Cardinal Newman is better than St. Joe's this year.
-St. Joe's is the 3 seed in division 1 behind Presentation and Eastside Prep(who got annihilated by 4 seed Miramonte).
Deduction ----Therefore, Presentation and Eastside Prep should have also been in the Open over Cardinal Newman along with St. Joe's and Miramonte! Bam!

I really wanted to give ol' easy sweep Gil Lemmon and his partner the howlin' swede Roger Gates the benefit of the doubt here.... if it were just one or two things, you just let all of this go and call it a coincidence right? But, like my old Auntie Esther Peckerwood used to say "where there's smoke there's fire!" Soooooooo much circumstantial evidence is accumulating, it really does make you wonder...... well that, along with the censorship of discussion and free flow of ideas! Just me 2 cents.... back to boys basketball and UPSET CITY DOT COM

Wait a minute. Esther Peckerwood? Didn't she teach the old picket fence at Our Lady of Perpetual Child Abuse?

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Doesn't St. Mary's have a Cal Stars assistant (just like St. Joes) and four players who played with Cal Stars? Didn't Miramonte go to Open Division a few years back after losing a section final by 30?

I was one on the boards who questioned plenty of the seeding decisions and think St. Joseph should be in the Open, but it has nothing to do with a bias toward a club program.

Think about this line of reason: HS sports trying to help a club team, the thing that is eating at the power of HS sports.

#5 Salesian at #1 Mitty
#3 Pinewood at #2 St. Mary's.

Monarchs (Haley Jones went for 25 and 20) and Rams were dominant in opening round wins while Salesian avenged a December loss to the Bulldogs with the road win.

Doesn't St. Mary's have a Cal Stars assistant (just like St. Joes) and four players who played with Cal Stars? Didn't Miramonte go to Open Division a few years back after losing a section final by 30?

I was one on the boards who questioned plenty of the seeding decisions and think St. Joseph should be in the Open, but it has nothing to do with a bias toward a club program.

Think about this line of reason: HS sports trying to help a club team, the thing that is eating at the power of HS sports.

I can run with that line of reasoning! :) It's a little vague and not quite specific enough though, allow me to modify to make it more applicable...... "Girls high school basketball trying to help a girls basketball club team, the thing that is eating at the power of girls high school basketball."

Now that our line of reasoning is much more focused and relevant, I think we can break it down. Is girls club basketball really eating at the power of high school girls basketball? Or are certain top level high school coaches and programs benefitting from the power of girls club teams that they've created? I think it's fair to suggest that they feed off of each other and that one isn't necessarily "eating at the power" of the other in this instance. In fact, this would be further proof that they enhance each other!

Yes, SMS has a "Cal Stars" assistant to my understanding and life is good for them obviously! And to address Miramonte going open a few years ago after losing a section final by 30...... That is true. But relationships take time to develop man! ;) Like my old uncle Albert Peckerwood used to say "The magic doesn't always happen overnight yung Donnie, be patient! :) "

Again, think about the process that would have to occur for seedings to benefit any particular club from any area ...

There are 20 people in the room, half from the north and half from the south. They're doing the Open bracketing, and somebody from the north starts proposing that particular teams affiliated with a particular club get a boost. Fine as far it goes ... what would be the motivation? What does anyone in that room gain by having JBS or any other club get higher seeds? And why would anyone else go along with skewed seedings?

That said, Cardinal Newman obviously got hosed, but remember, CIF considers it an honor to be Open, and the more likely scenario (dumb as it sounds) is that the people in the room felt Newman "deserved" the recognition that comes with being Open. Or, alternately, that the NCS representatives didn't make much of a case for their teams, resulting in Newman in the Open instead of Presentation, Eastside College Prep or Antelope; Miramonte and SJND seeded third and fourth in Division I; and only one No. 1 seed and two No. 2 seeds in six brackets for NCS.

Occam's razor suggests that a convoluted conspiracy (putting Miramonte and SJND third and fourth to disguise the bias) is less likely than simpler explanations (the committee didn't pay much attention; NCS reps weren't persuasive).

But then again, conspiracies are much more fun. My favorite was the State Farm sponsorship theory -- State Farm doesn't sponsor CIF which makes it a somewhat shaky theory -- but the whole club thing is right there with it. Again, why would anyone in that room care? And even if someone did (name names, please), why would others go along?

The one's who always want to deny the Anarchy conspiracy it's Benefit them. It will always be that way and never will change.

Let's talk about way Tom final jion CALSTARS last year. After this year SMS will be a good team but very beatable. Maybe he can influence so CALSTARS players cone play for SMS.

Both CALSTARS and SMS needed help in 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT