ADVERTISEMENT

Open Final Four Thoughts

Nor Cal Scout

Sports Fanatic
Feb 24, 2013
I think most of the board predicted the final four teams would be Stockton, SI, Miramonte & Carondelet and it almost held true. Down the stretch SHC rallied and their strength of schedule got them better when it mattered. Carondelet, probably because of a coaching change to the lessor strength route and it bit them in the end.

It is a great Final Four. I think it also leaves a lot of quality teams in their natural divisions to compete for a title. I would have like to see smb and salesian stay in d4 and maybe Modesto. I think Mitty, Carondelet and Brookside all lost games they should or at least we thought they were going to win, which threw the open seedings off a little bit but we ended with top 4 teams.

My initial response is that younGotta give a lot of credit to SHC. They have been strong down the stretch and made a believer out of me. They obviously deserve to be in the position they are in and recognized as one of NorCals four best teams.

SMS, MM have been solid all season (combined they have 3 losses). Having not seen SI play, it will be interesting to see how they do at MM on Tuesday. I will be attending that game, so I hope to see the real SI. There is no doubt MM is for real.

Unfortunate for SMB and Modesto Christian not to be in there divisions, but oh well. Was SMB competitive in their game v. SHC? Seeing the quote from the SMB coach regarding his surprise by being placed in the Open, I'm wondering how they played.

I do look forward to seeing Mosley join her SMB teammates at Cal.

Ol'BrickLayer

He had to give credit where credit is due. Ironically all the teams that SHC lost to they are facing again now. They have beat all of them except one....SMS. That's what makes this game more interesting. If they can pull that one off that would be the biggest upset of the year with all the "experts" having SMS winning by 20 :).

I am going to reach out on another limp and give SI the edge over MM. Yes MM is tough but SI has played a tougher schedule and most impressive beat Chaminade. They are senior led and have a deep bench. They have post players and can shoot the 3. They have played SHC 3 times this year so should be able to handle a little full court pressure.

Unfortunately SMB got placed in the open but with the last 2 spots I don't think it mattered who went there they were doomed either way. SMB was no match for SHC. It was close early then got up to about 15. Carondelet lost to Presentation so we know they shouldn't have went open. Maybe O'dowd or Brookside Christian?

10 days ago SI was #2. But not for 3 losses in 4 games they would be favorite. This game could go either way. I tend to agree with Citiboy415 that SHC has a shot. Still the underdog but it would not be the biggest upset of our time. 4 over a 1? It could be an all CCS Open final.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT