ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL 2023 Preview

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Football_

A quick recap of the PCAL. The Southern CCS is comprised of the PCAL. It is 28 teams from Monterey Santa Cruz and San Benito counties. This year there are 7 teams that comprise the 4 divisions. The Gabilan (A) receives 4 playoff bids, the Mission North(B) 2, the Mission South (B) 2 and the Santa Lucia (C) 1. In most years the 5th place Gabilan team qualifies as an at large team, and my guess so will the best 3rd place team from either the Cypress or Mission (maybe both?) . PAL-booster and the NASA computer know how CCS at large playoffs are figured out.

Predicted order of Finish-

Gabilan(A): Salinas has been the class of the PCAL Gabilan for the past 5 years (excluding covid). I am not picking against them until they lose. They did lose a lot of playmakers to graduation, but they have built a strong program and will easily re-load. Palma looks to challenge this year as they have the arguably the best playmaker in the league, but their lack of depth may hurt them. As always Aptos and Hollister will be tough outs. Monterey, new to the Gabilan this year, may have the fastest and most athletic team but lack some depth upfront. Look for them to challenge the top 4. Soquel has built a fantastic program; I just don’t know if they have the depth to compete with, the upper echelon of the Gabilan. And Alverez, mostly due to enrollment, (+/- 2200) and a victory vs Alisal last year, will continue to battle for 5th spot in the Gabilan.

1. Salinas (CA)
  2. Palma (Salinas, CA)
  3. Aptos (CA)
  4. Hollister (CA)
  5. Monterey (CA)
  6. Soquel (CA)
  7. Alverez (CA)
Mission North (B): Very similar to the old SCCAL football days, as 5 Santa Cruz make up this newly formed B division. (Full disclosure I don’t read a lot about the Santa Cruz county teams) I believe this will come down to the offensive firepower of Seaside vs the defense of Scott’s Valley. Seaside will be explosive but may lack a little depth. Scott’s Valley always has one of the best defenses in the PCAL and that will be no different this year. It will be interesting to see how Santa Cruz responds after getting beat up last year in the Gabilan. Santa Cruz had a great run 4 year run. St. Francis of Watsonville has recently surpassed their cross-town rival Monte Vista Christian in attracting football talent. I believe this will be the first time they have ever been paired together in football. NMC and Watsonville will continue to find stability, I just don’t see either of these programs competing at the top level of this league.

1. Scotts Valley (CA)
  2. Seaside (CA)
  3. St. Francis (Watsonville, CA)
  4. Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA)
  5. Santa Cruz (CA)
  6. Watsonville (CA)
  7. North Monterey County (Castroville, CA)

Mission South (B): I wish RLS and Gonzales were here, then we could have the old MTAL! Carmel has steadily been improving since Covid and have 2 of the better playmakers in the league and some depth on the OL and DL. If they can get consistent QB play, this is their league to lose. Soledad had a great team last year and will look to be equally as good or better this year. Alisal, comes down from the Gabilan and with their physical ground and pound attack, will be a very tough out for everyone. Rancho San Juan has built a nice program, but they lost a lot last year, it will be fun to see how they respond. I wanted to rank KC higher, but I just don’t see them being better than the top 4. North Salinas needs to be consistent, 2 winless seasons in 3 years is tough. But that 1 year they made it to the semifinals of DIV. I was going to Pick North Salinas 7, but then I realized PG was in the league. So, they must be 7th. Truth is pacific Grove maybe the sleeper team of this league, as they had a much larger than anticipated turn out and for some reason that town produces some great athletes. Do not be surprised if they challenge in this league.

1. Carmel (CA)
  2. Soledad (CA)
  3. Alisal (Salinas, CA)
  4. Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA)
  5. King City (CA)
  6. North Salinas (Salinas, CA)
  7. Pacific Grove (CA)

Sant Lucia (C): RLS will look to become back-to-back league champions for the first time in the history of the program. Usually when you win an equity title you get moved up. And I am a little surprised RLS stayed down, and North Monterey County stayed up. RLS will have to replace some key skilled players as well as deal with some old south county rivals. Greenfield continues to see numbers increase and that is good for this program, they will challenge RLS for the title. Gonzales continues to rebuild its program, I know every school went through COVID, but some programs did better than others. Gonzales did not do well. Look for SLV to continue to rebuild its once proud program. I see Marina, Harbor and Pajaro battling out for last place as the programs continue to search for stability.

1. RLS (Pebble Beach, CA)
  2. Greenfield (CA)
  3. Gonzales (CA)
  4. San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA)
  5. Marina (CA)
  6. Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA)
  7. Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA)

Nice preview. I was going to do one.

PCAL Gab
My picks are but most likely co-champs again. Could be 3 way like last season.

Palma actually has 55 on varsity. Only lack of depth is QB if Nunes (interest from Davis and Sac) gets hurt, with JV QB as backup who eventually will be pretty good. Palma moved Molinari (Davis and Sac State interest) and Gavin Martinez from WRs to RB and they will switch around. They also have top offensive player in maybe the section in Saldate (Notre Dame) and most of O-line back and most of defense back. jr TE Williams will also open eyes. When they play Salinas and Aptos they will most likely move Saldate and Molinari to Corners but have other starters coming back and LB Orozco is great and Drucker one of the top defensive players in the section. Palma had 65 show up for frosh and may be bigger linemen than the varsity. Lots of speed at skill positions.

Salinas will drop off a little but line looks to reload and Gonzales QB is very good and junior Dayven Marquez RB probably carry the ball more this year and is a 1,000 yard rusher. Junior Emarrcis Turner WR is a budding D1A player on either side of the ball and very fast and athletic. Schedule may help going into togher Gab teams.

Aptos is the team to watch. Their QB Hood really runs that offense well and they have a few really big kids on the line and RB J Lawrence Ingram IV is going to open eyes. If Aptos can figure out how to defend the pass, they could take the Gab. They have had many of their underclass the last few years up and their JV teams haven't been reflective of the talent they have. They had 12 sophs up last season.

Monterey lacks depth but if they stay healthy the could defeat one of the top three teams. Junior Preston White, Jr, QB, (6-2, 200)|1st team all league offensive and QB MVP| All CCS first team; Monterey has two very fast and athletic WRs and a very physical RB.

Hollister returns QB Abel Galindo, Sr., QB (5-11,175) who is very mobile and had 81 completions (63.2 %), 1,028 passing yards (12.7 yards per pass), 9 TDs/ 8INTs; Brayden Watkins, Sr, RB, is Balers top returning RB with 134 carries, 792 years and 7 TDs, and they should be sound on defense.

Soquel - has some speed at skill positions (e.g., WR) but probably not defeating any of the above teams.

Alvarez will probably also be in the bottom three

1. Palma
  2. Salinas
  3. Aptos
  4. Monterey - D1A jr QB prospect and athletic fast WRs. Bruising RB
  5. Hollister
  6. Soquel (CA)
  7. Alverez (CA)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT