Gonzales 7:30PM

North Salinas at
Alisal 7:30PM

Saturday
Scott’s Valley at
Carmel 2:00 PM

Games I'm especially interested in:

Salinas vs Palma @ Rabobank Stadium
Palma should win this game, but I don't think Salinas is performing up to potential yet and this is a rival match. So a Salinas win is not out of the question. Also, Palma and Aptos seem to have the best chance to be PCAL-G champ.

Hollister @ Aptos Aptos is the clear favorite. However, Hollister can bring surprises. Palma and Aptos seem to have the best chance to be PCAL-G champ.

San Lorenzo Valley @ Pacific Grove Both of these schools have had excellent teams in the past. Even though this is a down year for both, this match up is well paired for a great game.

Scott’s Valley @ Carmel Carmel seems to have the best chance to be PCAL-M league champ.

Reactions: 831ccschamp
Games I'm especially interested in:

Salinas vs Palma @ Rabobank Stadium
Palma should win this game, but I don't think Salinas is performing up to potential yet and this is a rival match. So a Salinas win is not out of the question. Also, Palma and Aptos seem to have the best chance to be PCAL-G champ.

Hollister @ Aptos Aptos is the clear favorite. However, Hollister can bring surprises. Palma and Aptos seem to have the best chance to be PCAL-G champ.

San Lorenzo Valley @ Pacific Grove Both of these schools have had excellent teams in the past. Even though this is a down year for both, this match up is well paired for a great game.

Scott’s Valley @ Carmel Carmel seems to have the best chance to be PCAL-M league champ.
I’m also interested I. Soquel @ Gonzales I think winner of that game takes Santa Lucia

I’m also interested I. Soquel @ Gonzales I think winner of that game takes Santa Lucia
That's a good one too. I doubt any other team beside Soquel will come close to beating Gonzales.

The only time I saw Gonzales play was in the first round of 1999 CCS D-IV playoffs when Gonzales nearly knocked off Valley Christian. It took a last play of the game field goal by VC to win that game.

That's a good one too. I doubt any other team beside Soquel will come close to beating Gonzales.

The only time I saw Gonzales play was in the first round of 1999 CCS D-IV playoffs when Gonzales nearly knocked off Valley Christian. It took a last play of the game field goal by VC to win that game.
That’s awesome their glory days ! It’s been since the 03-04 season since they had a winning record. If they beat Soquel they will eclipse their win total from last year. Payton Flores is currently the leading rusher in CCS. Soquel has some dangerous athletes though and could make it a good game if they aren’t contained.

Man, Gonzales and Valley Christian going down to the wire just sounds absurd now. Of course that was right at the beginning of VC’s rise a few years before they joined the WCAL, and that was the last team Gonzales fielded before Soledad High really cut in to their enrollment. Crazy how times change.

Gonzales also used to serve the best swiss sausage bar none in the state at the games in the 70s-90s. I think Roy's Swiss Sausage (king City) is served at Greenfield Football games and among the best i not the best in the state. 2017 CIF Southern Section Hall of Fame coach Larry Welsh coached at Gonzales for a few years in the 70s, before taking over Atascadero and laster in his career coaching at Cal Poly.

Gonzales also used to serve the best swiss sausage bar none in the state at the games in the 70s-90s. I think Roy's Swiss Sausage (king City) is served at Greenfield Football games and among the best i not the best in the state. 2017 CIF Southern Section Hall of Fame coach Larry Welsh coached at Gonzales for a few years in the 70s, before taking over Atascadero and laster in his career coaching at Cal Poly.
Thanks for jogging my memory... Some friends we were with at that Gonzales game told us not to pass up on the Swiss Sausage. We had eaten before the game but, on their recommendation, my wife and I split a sausage dog. A perfect high school football meal!

Here is my humble opinion on the southern CCS match ups this weekend

Gabilan A

Fri 09/21 Gilroy (CA) at Alvarez (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Both teams like to run and play defense taking Alvarez 14-12

Fri 09/21 San Benito (Hollister, CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm – I think Aptos may be the best team in the Gabilan if they can stay healthy. Aptos 28-10

Fri 09/21 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Salinas (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Palma gets revenge for last years rare loss to Salinas. Palma 28-20

Fri 09/21 Christopher (Gilroy, CA) at Seaside (CA), 7:30pm- Christopher should win easily 35-7

Mission - Upper B

Fri 09/21 North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Alisal may be the 2nd best team in the league. Trojans win 24-6

Fri 09/21 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Soledad (CA), 7:30pm- I saw a separate post on the demise of Soledad. It is true the administration ran out a great coach they are feeling it now. MVC wins 27-10

Sat 09/22 Scotts Valley (CA) at Carmel (CA), 2:00pm- Padres seem to be the clear #1 team in this league, they continue to roll 45-6

Cypress - Lower B

Fri 09/21 Santa Cruz (CA) at King City (CA), 7:30pm- King City bounces back after 2 big losses 28-14

Fri 09/21 Monterey (CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), 7:30pm – I gave Monterey way to much credit for beating Seaside. Turns out Seaside is not that good this year. I still think Monterey wuill win the Cypress and this gam. Monterey 24-12

Fri 09/21 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm- SLV is starting to play really good and will challenge Monterey, PG is improved but I still think SLV wins 20-7

Santa Lucia - C
Fri 09/21 Soquel (CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm- I believe these are the best 2 teams in the league this year. Gonzales is starting to build it program back and they have a great coach leading the way. Spartans 24-20

Fri 09/21 Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:00pm- Neither one of these teams is very good this year. It could either be 2-0 or 49-48. But I think Harbor will win.

Fri 09/21 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) vs Marina (CA) at Monterey Peninsula College (Monterey, CA), 6:00pm- Marina has never beaten RLS. That does not change this year. RLS 23-14

Roy was raised in Greenfield but graduated from King City (well before Greenfield had a high school). Still has the Swiss Sausage factory in Greenfield, and yes they are the best. All four South Monterey County (Gonzales, Soledad, Greenfield and King City) schools know how to make a great Tri-tip or Swiss sausage sandwich.

I was at Cal Poly when Welsh took over. Turns out he was a better High School coach than college.

Gonzales under Welsh I believe captured 5 straight league titles from the football seasons 1969 thru 1973. They snapped our 12 game winning streak in 1969 as I threw 2 picks that they capitalized on. Welsh teams had great execution and played hard. No superstars but definitely all on the same page.

Reactions: RLS13
Gonzales under Welsh I believe captured 5 straight league titles from the football seasons 1969 thru 1973. They snapped our 12 game winning streak in 1969 as I threw 2 picks that they capitalized on. Welsh teams had great execution and played hard. No superstars but definitely all on the same page.
Maybe under this new regime they can recapture some of the success they had in their glory days. I think it’s awesome hearing about all this history the program has!

Maybe under this new regime they can recapture some of the success they had in their glory days. I think it’s awesome hearing about all this history the program has!

It’s amazing how quick a legitimately good HC can turn things around. I remember In Pete Noble’s one year at Gonzales in 02 he turned them in to a playoff team, only to have the program fall apart after he left. Meanwhile at Monterey in 02 (my junior year there) we went 0-10 to run our losing streak to 20 games. Noble takes over my senior year, ends the losing streak in game two and we finish 3-7 (which included losses to the D1 champs, D2 champs, and D2 runners up) and the next year they go 8-2 and make the playoffs for the first time since ‘99.

It’s amazing how quick a legitimately good HC can turn things around. I remember In Pete Noble’s one year at Gonzales in 02 he turned them in to a playoff team, only to have the program fall apart after he left. Meanwhile at Monterey in 02 (my junior year there) we went 0-10 to run our losing streak to 20 games. Noble takes over my senior year, ends the losing streak in game two and we finish 3-7 (which included losses to the D1 champs, D2 champs, and D2 runners up) and the next year they go 8-2 and make the playoffs for the first time since ‘99.
Now you look at Soledad and Gilroy. Perfect examples of what happens when good coaches leave !

Reactions: RLS13
Now you look at Soledad and Gilroy. Perfect examples of what happens when good coaches leave !

Without being in the room with the coaches and administrators we do not know exactly what happened to make these coaches want to leave. But it is shame that theses coaches must of felt they were not getting the proper support from the administration.

Up in the North Bay, Windsor High School could/should be a football powerhouse. +/- 1500 students, solid youth program, and great community support. But the Administration up there can't get out of their own way and keep running off any good coach they get.

Reactions: 831ccschamp

Aptos and Blankenship is another good example of a good head coach changing the direction of a program. They definitely play at another level than they did prior to him coiming. Aptos did have great years under other coaches but it was a while before Blankenship took over the program.

Aptos and Blankenship is another good example of a good head coach changing the direction of a program. They definitely play at another level than they did prior to him coiming. Aptos did have great years under other coaches but it was a while before Blankenship took over the program.
Yes, I'm pretty impressed with Blankenship's work. When hired at Aptos, Santa Cruz Sentinal quoted, "I really believe Aptos wants to be successful," Blankenship said. "That really helps all challenges." And it seems both the Aptos administration and Balnkenship lived up to that belief.

Other quotes from that Feb 1, 2010 article:
"In addition to Madera [6 seasons], Blankenship coached at Nevada Union [seven seasons], Clovis West [eight], Fallbrook [two], Granbury, Texas [one] and Capistrano Valley [one]. Many of his former players have gone on to compete at the NCAA level and five have reached the NFL, perhaps most notably quarterback Billy Volek."

"Dorfman said Blankenship boasted a eye-opening resume. In 25 years, he has won 13 league championships, five section championships, including nine trips to the section finals. He was CalHiSports' 1998 California Coach of the Year while at Clovis West.
Moreover, Blankenship was the NFL High School Coach of the Year [2000], the Southern California Coach of the Year [2000], the Northern California Coach of the Year [1993], Valley Coach of the Year [1992 and '93] and the North-South All-Star Game Coach [1998 and 2006]."

Without being in the room with the coaches and administrators we do not know exactly what happened to make these coaches want to leave. But it is shame that theses coaches must of felt they were not getting the proper support from the administration.

Up in the North Bay, Windsor High School could/should be a football powerhouse. +/- 1500 students, solid youth program, and great community support. But the Administration up there can't get out of their own way and keep running off any good coach they get.

Well Gilroy’s coach just left for the HC job at MVC. I heard Berlanga (Soledad) is working at Silver Creek, not sure if he is coaching.

Well Gilroy’s coach just left for the HC job at MVC. I heard Berlanga (Soledad) is working at Silver Creek, not sure if he is coaching.
Gilroy HC left I don’t believe on good terms with the admin. Berlanga is at Mt. Pleasant and is an assistant coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT