ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 10

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 10

What a great week of Football! Big Congrats to Palma for the Huge victory vs Aptos. Also, to their coach, Jeff Carnazzo, on win 200. With the win, the “Game of the Year Version III” is to be played in 2 weeks vs Salinas. Palma can clinch the title outright with a win, if the Cowboys win you would probably be looking at a 3way split. Salinas won on the field but may of loss off of it. QB1 and WR1 were hurt vs Alisal and rumors are they may not be coming back this year. Devastating blow for a team that had a chance to be special. Hollister secured its automatic playoff birth by taking care of Santa Cruz.

In the Mission, Soquel looks to finish undefeated this year in league, and their only loss to Palma, is looking better each week. The big battle this week is between Scott’s Valley and Seaside. The winner will be in the driver’s seat for the third and final playoff spot. If Seaside, wins, it will set up a great Rivalry game with Monterey in 2 weeks for 2nd place. Carmel continues to disappoint but will try to play spoilers vs Monterey this weekend.

In the Cypress, it looks like a 2-horse race between the un-defeated St Francis Sharks and Soledad Aztecs. Neither one of these team have played super difficult schedules, but Soledad’s only loss was 6 points to Soquel. But both teams have potential trap games this weekend, as St Francis travels to Pacific Grove and Soledad heads down south to King City. Nether team can afford to look ahead to their week 11 showdown.

RLS took control of the Santa Lucia division with their victory over Greenfield last week. But they now have a huge road game this Friday night vs Gonzales, before they can make room for their 2nd Football League title. It should be noted the RLS has been playing football for close to 50 years. Gonzales has improved, especially after a switch at QB. Meanwhile Greenfield will look to bounce back Vs Pajaro, and hope for a Gonzales victory to try and claim a part of the title. A shout out to Marina, they fell behind 23-0 to a struggling SLV team, but were inspired at the half and outscored them 38-0 in the second half to win the game.

Last week: 11-1, (Palma “upset” got me) Overall: 98-36

Gabilan:

Fri 10/28 Alisal (Salinas, CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm: Over under for passes in this game sits at about 7, combined. Aptos should easily bounce back. Aptos 48-7

Fri 10/28 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:30pm: This game I believe was moved to Thursday. Despite the short week and the injuries, Salinas will have mor than enough for Alvarez. Salinas 49-12

Fri 10/28 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Santa Cruz (CA), 7:30pm: In most cases this would be a trap game for Palma. Big win last week, bigger game next week. I just don’t see Santa Cruz being good enough to compete with Palma this year. Palma 35-6

Mission:

Fri 10/28 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm- Soquel can finish off a unbeaten league campaign with a win. They then sit back and wait for playoffs. Soquel 28-7

Sat 10/29 Monterey (CA) at Carmel (CA), 2:00pm- I just cant see Carmel competing with Monterey this year. They have shown no ability to consistently maintain drives and score. Monterey is just the better team this year. Monterey 28-8

Sat 10/29 Seaside (CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm – This game should be good, Scott’s Valley D vs Seaside’s Offense. I think Scott’s Valley D slows down Seaside, but not enough. Seaside 14-13

Cypress:

Fri 10/28 Soledad (CA) at King City (CA), 7:30pm: It is important for Soledad to remain focus, and not look forward to next weeks big matchup. Unlike Santa Cruz, in the Gabilan, King City has the talent to ruin Soledad’s title aspirations. Soledad 24-23

Fri 10/28 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Pacific Grove (CA), 7:30pm: Just like above St Francis must not overlook PG. CalPreps has this game a 3+ score differential. I think it will be closer, but you know I wont pick PG. St Francis 24-14

Fri 10/28 Watsonville (CA) at Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm: Two programs going in opposite directions. Rancho is a new school that is a up and coming football power. Watsonville, opened in 1892, is an old school with a program in decline. Rancho San Juan 28-7

Santa Lucia

Fri 10/28 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm- This game scares me. RLS football is just not used to these types of games. Tennis, Golf, Lacrosse no problem. But football? Not to mention Gonzales can be an intimidating place to play on a Friday. The Spartans have rebounded after a slow start, so the stadium should be full and loud. That being said, I am going to start measuring for that 2nd league championship banner. RLS 24-21

Fri 10/28 Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:30pm- Greenfield will be scoreboard watching, and that should be ok vs an overmatched Pajaro team. Greenfield 35-6

Sat 10/29 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) at Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA), 2:00pm- Proof that Calprep’s ranking and predictions are sometime just wonky. They have SLV favored. Harbor 24-21

Great write up. Will be very unfortunate if the Cowboys don't have their QB come back. Backup Garnica who starts at safety is pretty good (can wing it and is mobile), but not experienced at the position as the 3 year starter. If they are back, they could some damage in the playoffs. If Palma gets put up into D1, they will have a tough time. Palma probably should be in D3/D2 this season, but have surprised. The great thing is they are very young and lose only one lineman and stacked with skill players.

Reactions: RLS13
From tonight's broadcast against Alvarez, the injury reports may have been overblown. Both of the top WRs for Salinas played and QB1 reportedly took the last kneel-down snap of the game. That sounds like he could have been available in an emergency.

We'll see next week. Go Cowboys!

Write up of last nights game (may be a paywall). Alvarez is struggling this year, so Salinas winning was basically a forgone conclusion. Salinas put up 44 in the first half and put the reserves in after that, But according to Devine, Both QB1 and WR1 will be available for Palma next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT