ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 12 Playoffs

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Playoffs Week 12

A note about CCS playoffs. No system is perfect, and I believe that CCS does it best out of the NORCAL Sections (Not counting San Francisco and Oakland). But 1 tweak they need to put in, if an A league team qualifies for playoffs based on their point system, that team must be slated in DIII or above. It is ridiculous to have these A league schools playing C leagues in the bottom playoffs. I am fine with the point system to qualify so losing records can get in from A league, but then they should not be put down to feast against C league Champions and B league runner ups. What’s the Point of equity? Just bring back the old geographical leagues. Rant over.

With all due respect to Aptos, who did outscore Salinas and earned that victory. Salinas sent a convincing message that they are the class of the PCAL Gabilan this year, despite the tri-championship due to the Aptos loss. Now they move onto the DI playoffs as the 4th seed and will host a very good Sacred heart prep team. Palma will lick its wounds and try to slow down the Serra machine. Win or lose this game, Palma really impressed me this year after a very slow start. They will be very dangerous next year. Aptos took down Hollister, and now probably has the best chance for a CCS tittle, with #3 seed in DII. Hollister will look to make noise in the DIII Bracket as the #5 seed. The other 3 Gabilan teams all finished tied for 5th at 1-4. I imagine at least 2 of these teams will be sent down to the Mission next year.

In the Mission, Carmel’s Offense woke up from it’s funk this year for the last 2 games. It is amazing what they can do with consistent QB play. Unfortunate it was too late for the Padres. Monterey squeaked by Seaside to secure third place and a #5 seed in the DV playoffs. Joining them will be Seaside as the #3 Seed. League Champion Soquel secured the #1 seed in DIII, but they will have a tough road to become CCS champions. Scott’s Valley was oh so close, the were in the lead in the 2nd half of all 3 of their losses. MVC and North Salinas may be destined to the Cypress.

The Cypress probably had the greatest finish for the championship as Soledad beat St Francis in double overtime to secure the title. That propelled the to the #7 seed in DIII, playing against an A league Co- Champion? St Francis will carry the PCAL torch in DIV as the #5 seed playing another A-league team. Nobody else qualified for the Playoffs but watch out for Rancho San Juan. This school is growing, and it is fairly large at 1400 kids. They should be in the mission in another year or 2. KC and PG are in the perfect division for their programs currently. NMC and Watsonville could both be looking at demotions to the Santa Lucia.

World Champions! 2022 RLS Pirates! Awesome, I am trying to set up a ticker-tape parade through 17-mile drive, but so far, no luck. Apparently outside of the 34 kids on the roster and me, nobody cares. RLS should get moved up to the Cypress, would not be surprised if either Greenfield or Gonzales go with them. Mariana had a great year, and momentum is finally gaining on that campus, as a new (1st) stadium is in the works. Harbor, SLV and Pajaro are all where they belong for now as they work to build up their programs.

Last week 10-2 Overall 118-40

Gabilan Playoffs –

Fri 11/11 Christopher (Gilroy, CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV II Playoffs – I think Aptos received a break on their seeding. They should have a nice path to the title vs Wilcox. Aptos 45-14

Fri 11/11 Hollister (CA) at Burlingame (CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV III Playoffs – Hollister has a younger team, they should be improved next year. The Haybalers beat who they were supposed to and lost to the better teams, in most cases by a lot. Burlingame 24-14

Fri 11/11 Sacred Heart Prep (Atherton, CA) at Salinas (CA), 7:00pm – CCS DIV I Playoffs- SHP reminds me a lot like Palma , a great defense and a good offense. SHP offense can score more than Palma, but to beat Salinas you need to score a lot. SHP may be able to slow Salinas down but not enough. Salinas 35-21

Sat 11/12 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Serra (San Mateo, CA), 1:00pm CCS DIV I Playoffs- Palma’s defense will probably make this game close in the first half. I also expect some trick plays etc, to keep Serra guessing. But by the 3rd qtr Serra will impose it’s will. Serra 38-10

Mission Playoffs-

Fri 11/11 Monterey (CA) at Pioneer (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV V Playoffs- Monterey has to play better defense in order to stop Pioneer. They did get a big stop vs Seaside but still gave up 27 points, and 51 the week before. Offense is till fast and tough to stop. Monterey 28-17

Fri 11/11 Woodside (CA) at Seaside (CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV V Playoffs- Seaside has to be disappointed after losing the battle of the bay, but with a playoff spot guaranteed I wander if that took their edge off. They should handle Woodside. Seaside 34-14

Fri 11/11 Terra Nova (Pacifica, CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:00pm CCS III Playoffs- Tough first round match up for Soquel, Terra Nova is coming off a very impressive victory over Half Moon Bay. But Soquel had a bye week to rest up and get ready for their playoff run. Soquel 28-20

Cypress Playoffs

Fri 11/11 Soledad (CA) at Live Oak (Morgan Hill, CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV IV – Funny how the 2 lower Cypress league qualifiers are in higher than 2 of the 3 mission qualifies. No system is perfect. Soledad Defense has been close to perfect this year, calling for a small upset. Soledad 14-6

Fri 11/11 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Santa Teresa (San Jose, CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV IV Playoffs – Your stat of the day: St Francis has 225 students, Santa Teresa has 2,145. However, St. Francis is doing a good job of attracting (recruiting?) student athletes. I still believe that Santa Terresa belongs in DIII after qualifying through an a league. On the field it will be 11v 11. St Francis 21-20

Santa Lucia

Fri 11/11 Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA) at Palo Alto (CA), 7:00pm CCS DIV V Playoffs- So like 12 years ago Palo Alto was playing Centennial for the state open championship now they are facing RLS in a DV playoff game. And Palo alto is not like Novato, a one hit wonder, they have been one of the most consistent public schools over the last 20 years in Norcal. I already went through my rant, but this is silly. It does not matter; this Pirate team has a chip and their shoulder, and nobody gives them a chance. But I do. They play solid defense, and they have a nice balanced offense. If they can get some drives together and play time control football, they have a chance. PIRATEBALL RLS 24-23

BONUS PICKS

CCS DIV I

Mitty (San Jose, CA) at Los Gatos (CA)- Mitty

Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco, CA) at St. Francis (Mountain View, CA)St Francis

CCS DIV II

Lincoln [Abraham] (San Jose, CA) at Wilcox [Adrian] (Santa Clara, CA) – Wilcox (already won)

Bellarmine (San Jose, CA) at Menlo-Atherton (Atherton, CA) – Bellarmine

Half Moon Bay (CA) at St. Ignatius (San Francisco, CA) – HMB

CCS DIV III

King's Academy (Sunnyvale, CA) at Menlo (Atherton, CA)- Menlo

CCS DIV IV

Overfelt (San Jose, CA) at Sequoia (Redwood City, CA)- Sequoia

San Mateo (CA) at Branham (San Jose, CA)- San Mateo

Homestead (Cupertino, CA) at Mountain View (CA) – Mountain View

CCS DIV V

Willow Glen (San Jose, CA) at Westmont (Campbell, CA)- Westmont

Last edited:
Using your PCAL picks as a guide, eight of ten teams should win their CCS openers vs. non-league foes. That would indicate that the PCAL is an extremely strong collection of teams in 2022. Most interesting.

Using your PCAL picks as a guide, eight of ten teams should win their CCS openers vs. non-league foes. That would indicate that the PCAL is an extremely strong collection of teams in 2022. Most interesting.
Colhenrylives,

You should know I am a notorious homer. Realistically if I would take emotions out of it, Soledad, St Francis and RLS will probably lose. That being said the PCAL is pretty strong this year as a whole: I think that Salinas could be the 2nd best team in the CCS and that Soquel and Aptos have good chances of winning their divisions.

Kudos. By and large (with a glitch or two), the PCAL shone rather brightly last night. Your crystal ball is doing its job well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT