PCAL WEEK 6

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL Week 6

Last week 8-4 Overall 58-25

Gabilan

As I predicted Palma would be 0-5 at the halfway point of the season and Alvarez in first place. (JK) If you did not hear Palma had to forfeit its first4 games for using an ineligible player. After last week’s loss to Monterey, they now sit at 0-5. This is being discussed on a different thread. With the Gabilan being down “competitive” this year Palma still has a chance for 4th place or even 5th and enough points to make the playoffs. Monterey had by far one of their best victories in recent memory. Congratulations to Alvarez for its victory of Hollister, welcome back to the Gabilan in 2024.

Fri 09/29 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm – Monterey beating Palma was a surprise, but Alvarez beating Hollister? Wow!!! Don’t think they can repeat the magic. Aptos 34-14

Fri 09/29 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Hollister (CA), 7:30pm
– If Palma wants to keep it +35 year playoff streak alive, this becomes a must win situation. Hollister will be looking to get its mojo back after a stunning loss last week. Palma 31-7

Fri 09/29 Monterey (CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm
- Monterey needs to stay focused to avoid a letdown vs a good Soquel squad. Soquel got is first taste of Gabilan football with a shut out loss to Salinas. Monterey 28-7

Mission North

The good news is that Santa Cruz fielded a team last week vs Watsonville. The bad news is they lost big again and have yet to score this season. And now they have forfeited this weekend’s game vs. Seaside. I hate seeing programs not be able to play. NMC had a very impressive win last week and will look to challenge Scott’s Valley and Seaside for the division title.

Fri 09/29 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), MVC licking their wounds after their loss to Seaside, NMC looked good in shutting out St. Francis. I think NMC defense can slowdown MVC QB1 enough. NMC 24-10

Sat 09/30 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm
- If St Francis can’t score vs NMC, probably going to have it’s hands full vs Scott’s Valley. This is not Scott’s Valley’s best defense ever, but it is still very good. Scott’s Valley 21-0

Mission South

Carmel had an incredible comeback last week after being down 12 with 2:24 left in the game to beat Alisal. This week they take on a good North Salinas, a win and they are in the driver’s seat for the title. Pacific Grove is still undefeated? Their schedule has been easy, and they should go to 6-0 before it gets considerably tougher (it is freaking killing me). But they have a good win’s vs Greenfield and Rancho San Juan.

Thu 09/28 Soledad (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- The CCS needs to step in and stop Thursday games from being played, especially after a Saturday Game. Alisal (and Carmel) are at a dis-advantage. Any ways despite picking up their first win (via game 1 forfeit) Soledad is just not executing well this year. Alisal 28-10

Thu 09/28 Carmel (CA) vs North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm-
North Salinas has a chance because of Carmel’s very short week of practice. They also have a chance because they are one of the better stories in the PCAL this year with improvements on both sides of the ball. They are going to slow the game down and keep the ball away from Carmel. But Carmel’s offense is that good. Carmel 38-35

Fri 09/29 Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at King City (CA)
, 7:30pm- Both teams have been a bit of a disappointment. King City a little bit larger. Rancho 17-10

Santa Lucia-

Man, chaos reigns in the Santa Lucia. Right when I thought SLV was turning a corner, they lay an egg vs Pajaro. Great to see Pajaro get a victory!! Harbor was averaging 38 points per game only pit up 14 Vs Gonzales? This still looks like a showdown between Greenfield and RLS for the title. Nobody else seems to be consistent enough.

Fri 09/29 Marina (CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm- Good news is Mariana should have their own stadium/Field next year. Bad news is the football team is still losing its best players to Monterey and Seaside. Gonzales 34-7

Fri 09/29 Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:00pm
- Harbor has been disappointing after such a promising start. Greenfield has been good this year. Greenfield 45-20

Sat 09/30 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA),
2:00pm – RLS took care of business last week vs Marina, SLV not so much Vs Pajaro. This does feel like a little bit of a trap game, but RLS should be fine. RLS 28-7

PCAL Week 6

Gabilan

As I predicted Palma would be 0-5 at the halfway point of the season and Alvarez in first place. (JK) If you did not hear Palma had to forfeit its first4 games for using an ineligible player. After last week’s loss to Monterey, they now sit at 0-5. This is being discussed on a different thread. With the Gabilan being down “competitive” this year Palma still has a chance for 4th place or even 5th and enough points to make the playoffs. Monterey had by far one of their best victories in recent memory. Congratulations to Alvarez for its victory of Hollister, welcome back to the Gabilan in 2024.
You think Palma will end up 4th or 5th in Gabilan? Maybe - but I think they could be as high as #3 in league which would easily give them an auto bid for playoffs.

Reactions: RLS13
We know Monterey is better, I also think Salinas and Aptos are better. So that puts them 4th (which is automatic qualifier). Hollister is obviously down, so then it is Soquel. I Think Soquel and Palma are somewhat even this year. I think 4th or 5th is about right. At minimum they need to go 3-2 down the stretch.

As far as the 3 teams that gained the W from the forfeits Soledad, king City and Alisal, Only Alisal will be sniffing the playoffs and those points could help them if they finish behind Carmel and North Salinas in the Mission South. I will defer to PALBooster on how all that could work.

I suppose there could be a scenario where a 3rd place Alisal gets the last at large bid over a 5th place Palma team based on the forfeit W.

Reactions: aztecpadre
We know Monterey is better, I also think Salinas and Aptos are better. So that puts them 4th (which is automatic qualifier). Hollister is obviously down, so then it is Soquel. I Think Soquel and Palma are somewhat even this year. I think 4th or 5th is about right. At minimum they need to go 3-2 down the stretch.

As far as the 3 teams that gained the W from the forfeits Soledad, king City and Alisal, Only Alisal will be sniffing the playoffs and those points could help them if they finish behind Carmel and North Salinas in the Mission South. I will defer to PALBooster on how all that could work.

I suppose there could be a scenario where a 3rd place Alisal gets the last at large bid over a 5th place Palma team based on the forfeit W.
I watched a highlight video of the Aptos-North Salinas game last night on YouTube. Now I understand how the Mariners lost to Mission Prep. Whatever passing game they might normally have to complement the wing-t is absent this year. I would be surprised if Palma can't win that game.

I also don't see Carmel struggling with North High much. Neither the Vikings nor Mariners were particularly impressive, whereas I saw Carmel move the ball pretty well against Alvarez.

Top 4 teams in the Gab get automatic bids.

PCAL Week 6

Gabilan

Fri 09/29 Alvarez (Salinas, CA) at Aptos (CA), 7:30pm – Monterey beating Palma was a surprise, but Alvarez beating Hollister? Wow!!! Don’t think they can repeat the magic. Aptos 34-14

Fri 09/29 Palma (Salinas, CA) at Hollister (CA), 7:30pm
– If Palma wants to keep it +35 year playoff streak alive, this becomes a must win situation. Hollister will be looking to get its mojo back after a stunning loss last week. Palma 31-7

Fri 09/29 Monterey (CA) at Soquel (CA), 7:30pm
- Monterey needs to stay focused to avoid a letdown vs a good Soquel squad. Soquel got is first taste of Gabilan football with a shut out loss to Salinas. Monterey 28-7

After watching a little bit of Aptos, I'm thinking this game could end up being fairly close. On top of beating Hollister, Alvarez also played a good game against Alisal, who I think is solid. Still think the Mariners will win, but it will be a tough game, 27-21.

Hollister officially has the largest enrollment in the CCS, but it's been a steady decline since Coach Cameron left. Despite the fact that it appears that Palma is not so deserving of the preseason praise it was getting, they should still win this game comfortably, 38-14.

I also saw some of Monterey's game against Aragon and... let's say I'm imagining that they've tightened up some of their issues since then. Turnovers really hurt Soquel against Salinas, but if they can hold onto the ball, they could make this a good game. Still, I have Monterey winning, 24-14. (This could be a little bit of a trap game for the Toreadores... I can see them wanting to match the Salinas win over the Knights as they look towards their showdown, only to find their hands full before they get there.)

Mission North

The good news is that Santa Cruz fielded a team last week vs Watsonville. The bad news is they lost big again and have yet to score this season. And now they have forfeited this weekend’s game vs. Seaside. I hate seeing programs not be able to play. NMC had a very impressive win last week and will look to challenge Scott’s Valley and Seaside for the division title.

Fri 09/29 Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), MVC licking their wounds after their loss to Seaside, NMC looked good in shutting out St. Francis. I think NMC defense can slowdown MVC QB1 enough. NMC 24-10

Sat 09/30 St. Francis (Watsonville, CA) at Scotts Valley (CA), 2:00pm
- If St Francis can’t score vs NMC, probably going to have it’s hands full vs Scott’s Valley. This is not Scott’s Valley’s best defense ever, but it is still very good. Scott’s Valley 21-0

Ok, so Monte Vista Christian has lost a couple of games now and North Monterey County has won a couple. The reality is that MVC's competition had gone up and NMC's had gone down. By the numbers, the Mustangs should win a close game, 23-15. (As an aside, it bothers me when I see Devine refer to MVC as "Monte Vista". It's like as if he started calling Robert Louis Stevenson "Robert Louis" and leaving out the Stevenson.)

Scotts Valley is another team that saw their competition level go up in taking a loss. Good news for them is that it's dropping back down this week against St. Francis. Sharks got shut out last week and there is a decent chance it will happen again, 31-0.

Mission South

Carmel had an incredible comeback last week after being down 12 with 2:24 left in the game to beat Alisal. This week they take on a good North Salinas, a win and they are in the driver’s seat for the title. Pacific Grove is still undefeated? Their schedule has been easy, and they should go to 6-0 before it gets considerably tougher (it is freaking killing me). But they have a good win’s vs Greenfield and Rancho San Juan.

Thu 09/28 Soledad (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- The CCS needs to step in and stop Thursday games from being played, especially after a Saturday Game. Alisal (and Carmel) are at a dis-advantage. Any ways despite picking up their first win (via game 1 forfeit) Soledad is just not executing well this year. Alisal 28-10

Thu 09/28 Carmel (CA) vs North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:00pm-
North Salinas has a chance because of Carmel’s very short week of practice. They also have a chance because they are one of the better stories in the PCAL this year with improvements on both sides of the ball. They are going to slow the game down and keep the ball away from Carmel. But Carmel’s offense is that good. Carmel 38-35

Fri 09/29 Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at King City (CA)
, 7:30pm- Both teams have been a bit of a disappointment. King City a little bit larger. Rancho 17-10

As I stated before, I think Alisal is pretty solid at this level. Soledad, not so much. Let's hope that the forfeit win over Palma doesn't translate into a higher playoff division. Trojans take this relatively easily, 38-3.

Why is North Salinas in the Mission South? "North" is right there in the name. Anyway, I see Carmel not needing two onside kicks this week to take it, 38-24.

I'm not ready to write off Rancho San Juan completely. They lost to their better opponents and beaten the weaker. I see King City as being somewhat weaker, so I'm taking the Trailblazers, 20-10.

Santa Lucia-

Man, chaos reigns in the Santa Lucia. Right when I thought SLV was turning a corner, they lay an egg vs Pajaro. Great to see Pajaro get a victory!! Harbor was averaging 38 points per game only pit up 14 Vs Gonzales? This still looks like a showdown between Greenfield and RLS for the title. Nobody else seems to be consistent enough.

Fri 09/29 Marina (CA) at Gonzales (CA), 7:30pm- Good news is Mariana should have their own stadium/Field next year. Bad news is the football team is still losing its best players to Monterey and Seaside. Gonzales 34-7

Fri 09/29 Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Greenfield (CA), 7:00pm
- Harbor has been disappointing after such a promising start. Greenfield has been good this year. Greenfield 45-20

Sat 09/30 San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA),
2:00pm – RLS took care of business last week vs Marina, SLV not so much Vs Pajaro. This does feel like a little bit of a trap game, but RLS should be fine. RLS 28-7

There may not be a team for whom I pull more in the area (other than Salinas) than Marina, despite the fact they have the least original nickname in the CCS. Gonzales has somewhat played to the level of their competition this year, so I don't think this game will be a blowout in either direction, but I do think the Spartans win a close game, 20-14.

Greenfield looks like a solid choice for division champion, having played non-league competition that was generally better than what they'll see in the coming weeks. Harbor beat up on some really bad teams to start the year. The Bruins are not a bad team, so I'm taking them to win comfortably, 33-13.

Robert Louis is another team... er, sorry, Robert Louis Stevenson is another team that prepared for league nicely with their non-league schedule. San Lorenzo Valley seemed like they were just trying to give their players some confidence with theirs. Pirates should take this game, 38-20.

Last edited:
On another note- Soquel appears to be destined to be a major player the rest of the year as their Santa Cruz transfers have now become eligible.

Reactions: Cal 14
On another note- Soquel appears to be destined to be a major player the rest of the year as their Santa Cruz transfers have now become eligible.
I’ve been touting them. If they don’t get into trouble with turnovers, they’re a tough team. Legit shot to make the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT