ADVERTISEMENT

PCAL Week 9

RLS13

Sports Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 8, 2016
PCAL WEEK 9

Let’s get this out of the way. If you are checking this post out to try and gain some sort of inside knowledge on your Pick‘Ems because you have no idea where the town of Greenfield is, you are in the wrong place. Last week I went 0-2 in my picks as Aptos had the biggest win of the year in PCAL so far, by running over Salinas. And Soquel promptly went out and destroyed a very talented Monterey Team. So I am not the best at PCAL prognostications. Fell free to hit up @Norcal, @Cal14, @carmelkyd or even @Pastyfastquik they will probably all do better. But I am totally stoked about having 2 more games in the Pick’Em for this week, Especially the Greenfield V RLS game.

This past week in the game of the year, Volume I, Aptos was able to hold off Salinas. Aptos has a great offense, and their line is bigger than Salinas. But Salinas has a very good group of Lb’s and a good secondary. I though with an extra week of preparation Salinas could at least slow them down. I was wrong. Aptos’ reward? A game v Palma. Palam Defense is a notch above Salinas, but the Chieftains offense has struggled to score at times this year. This game will not be as high scoring but should be just as close. Hollister will l secure no worse than 4th and a post season ticket if they can beat an undermanned Santa Cruz squad, while Salinas should bounce back vs Alisal.

In the Mission, Soquel dominated a Monterey team that just looked tired. I really thought this game would be close, but credit to Soquel as they are in the driver’s seat for an undefeated league season. And a ticket to the Gabilan next year. Scott’s Valley took care of business vs Carmel and sets its sights on a 3rd place finish. They have MVC this weekend followed by Seaside. Meanwhile if Carmel has any chance at the post season (they probably don’t), they need to beat Seaside this weekend.

In the Cypress, the St Francis Sharks showed why they are the team to beat, as they sent Rancho San Juan to a 2nd straight loss. Soledad easily handled PG (yeah), which should set up an epic showdown for first place in 3 weeks. King City kept its faint playoff hopes alive by coming back to beat North Monterey. But it needs to knock of St. Francis and Soledad over the next 2 weeks. Not impossible, but not very probable.

The Santa Lucia championship should be decided this weekend!!! Greenfield was able to get by Marina 20-6, while RLS was able to avoid a trap game and beat up Pajaro Valley. This Saturday, Greenfield makes the trek into Del Monte Forrest to take on the pride of Pebble Beach, the RLS Pirates. (Truth be told the Pebble Beach CO and neighbors, are not big fans of RLS.) These 2 teams are evenly matched up. Both schools are experiencing larger than normal turnout for their programs, and I think both could be moved up next year. At the end of the day, RLS probably has the better athletes, while Greenfield has a bit more depth. Gonzales, a solid team, still must play both these guys and could cause some havoc in the next few weeks as well.

Last week 9-3 Overall 87-35

Gabilan

Fri 10/21 Salinas (CA) at Alisal (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm – Salinas should rebound and handle Alisal, but don’t be surprised if the Trojans keep it close for a little bit. Salinas 48-14

Fri 10/21 Santa Cruz (CA) at Hollister (CA), 7:30pm –Santa Cruz is coming off a Gabilan win, but Hollister should have no problem in locking down a playoff birth this week. Hollister 35-7

Fri 10/21 Palma (Salinas, CA) vs Aptos (CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Game of the year Volume II. I don’t see Aptos scoring as many points’ vs Palma and their Defense. But Palma has had some issues scoring this year. If Aptos can avoid a letdown after last week’s emotional win vs Salinas, they should be ok. Aptos 24-14

Mission

Fri 10/21 Scotts Valley (CA) at Monte Vista Christian (Watsonville, CA), 7:30pm – Scott’s Valley needs to win to stay with Seaside and the automatic playoff birth for 3rd place. They should be ok vs an erratic MVC team. Scotts’ Valley 24-7

Fri 10/21 Carmel (CA) at Seaside (CA), 7:30pm – Carmel may be the biggest disappointment this season in the PCAL. Their offense has just disappeared this season at times. Seaside still has an outside chance at 2nd place. They can’t get caught looking ahead to games vs Scott’s Valley and Monterey. Seaside 28-20

Sat 10/22 Soquel (CA) vs North Salinas (Salinas, CA) at Salinas Sports Complex (Salinas, CA), 7:30pm- Soquel looks to be on cruise control for the Mission tittle. Unless the bus gets lost, there is no way they lose to North Salinas. Soquel 48-7

Cypress

Fri 10/21 Rancho San Juan (Salinas, CA) at North Monterey County (Castroville, CA), 7:30pm – Rancho San Juan started 6-0, but has lost it’s last 2 games. They should be able to get back on track vs a struggling NMC squad. Rancho 35-14

Fri 10/21 Pacific Grove (CA) at Watsonville (CA), 7:30pm – I hate PG. But I have zero faith in Watsonville beating them. PG 30-13

Sat 10/22 King City (CA) at St. Francis (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm – I would love to see KC pull the upset here. They have enough talent to do it. But I just think the Sharks are too good this year. St. Francis 27-17

Santa Lucia

Sat 10/22 Harbor (Santa Cruz, CA) at Pajaro Valley (Watsonville, CA), 12:30pm – I think this may be a really close game. Harbor is trying to stop a 5-game skid, while Pajaro is looking for its 2nd win of the season. Taking the home team Bruins. Pajaro Valley 21-20

Sat 10/22 Marina (CA) at San Lorenzo Valley (Felton, CA), 12:00pm – If there is a bigger disappointment than Carmel it is SLV. Not because they are losing, just because they are losing by so much. On the flip side it is nice to see Marian bouncing back form 2 years of no Varsity football. Marina 42-7

Sat 10/22 Greenfield (CA) at Stevenson (Pebble Beach, CA), 2:00pm -Both these teams are so evenly matched. RLS scores 27 while giving up 14 per game, Greenfield scores 22 while giving up 13. Greenfield did beat King City while RLS lost. But RLS blew out Marina, while Greenfield barely got by. But let’s be honest; I am homer. I would Pick RLS over Serra. RLS 27-25

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT