ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood 72, St. Francis 27

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Good heavens. That score is according to MaxPreps. Anyone there to verify? SF is not total chopped liver.

Last edited:
Pinewood is a LEGIT top 25 team at that. SF had a maxpreps ranking in the top 25 too (17ish last time I looked). Somehow winning a public school tournament (not in blowout fashion) on the peninsula helped them in the rankings even though there’s a whole thread on how the public’s can’t and shouldn’t play with the private’s. Those rankings are screwy and I still think SF could have scheduled better. IMO

Total rout. SF vowed to stop pinewoods three point shooting. And they did, at the expense of giving up uncontested layups. For it's part, SF couldn't hit a shot. Things escalated quickly.

Great crowd

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Pinewood is a LEGIT top 25 team at that. SF had a maxpreps ranking in the top 25 too (17ish last time I looked). Somehow winning a public school tournament (not in blowout fashion) on the peninsula helped them in the rankings even though there’s a whole thread on how the public’s can’t and shouldn’t play with the private’s. Those rankings are screwy and I still think SF could have scheduled better. IMO

Man Onball, you are such a sfhs hater! Lol. They played their entire team at the Mills tourney and that's the only reason why Mills stayed close with them, if you want to call a double digit lead the entire game close. Privates will always beat up on publics the majority of the time. Privates need to be in a down year for publics to have a chance. Pres isn't as strong this year and still beat aptos, everyone's unofficial #1 public, by 6.

Pinewood killed sfhs with layups all game. Not sure I agreed with that game plan, but what do I know. Sfhs couldn't hit the side of a barn. Does Pinewood always have that good of a turnout at their games? Very nice to see. I'm assuming a saturday afternoon game against a local catholic school brought everyone out.

Also, did you all here Una Jovanovic tore her acl in that game? That Pinewood hop has put a lot girls in the hospital with knee surgeries.

Man Onball, you are such a sfhs hater! Lol. They played their entire team at the Mills tourney and that's the only reason why Mills stayed close with them, if you want to call a double digit lead the entire game close. Privates will always beat up on publics the majority of the time. Privates need to be in a down year for publics to have a chance. Pres isn't as strong this year and still beat aptos, everyone's unofficial #1 public, by 6.

Pinewood killed sfhs with layups all game. Not sure I agreed with that game plan, but what do I know. Sfhs couldn't hit the side of a barn. Does Pinewood always have that good of a turnout at their games? Very nice to see. I'm assuming a saturday afternoon game against a local catholic school brought everyone out.

Also, did you all here Una Jovanovic tore her acl in that game? That Pinewood hop has put a lot girls in the hospital with knee surgeries.

It’s obvious that Pinewood is a very tough matchup for most all teams in Norcal, for 2 1/2 years Mitty had The athleticism to cover the perimeter and athletic bigs to cover the inside to guard against any driving layups I don’t believe there is a team that has that skill set even this year’s Mitty team.

You are correct. Public vs. private/parochial is no-contest in CCS. It's apples and oranges all the way. Different rules for different units. Not going to change.

It’s obvious that Pinewood is a very tough matchup for most all teams in Norcal, for 2 1/2 years Mitty had The athleticism to cover the perimeter and athletic bigs to cover the inside to guard against any driving layups I don’t believe there is a team that has that skill set even this year’s Mitty team.
You are correct. Pinewood should disregard Mitty and only worry about other teams.

Its not hating.. all I was saying was that there was a little too much hype about a record that didn't include any wins of significance..

SI had just about the same preseason record. 2 losses to Salesian and Folsom aren't necessarily bad losses.. they too, like SF, beat Aptos by 21.. and they only beat Mills by 6, even closer than SF. And last night SI took it to SF by 16.. so was SF overrated or was SI flying under the radar and are in a solid running for 2nd in the WCAL? Or are they closer than the score indicates and coaching (Mulkerrins is a heck of a coach) and being on the road in the city lead to the difference?

DISCLAIMER: this is NOT hating.. it is an actual question based off results I have read on paper and I have not seen either team play in person yet

Reactions: basketba11
I think it is a combination of all. Great SI coaching without a doubt and they're definitely a great team. They have legitimate losses to two strong teams. From what I hear sfhs came out flat and SI played with heart all game long. Need to have your best game on display every night in the WCAL or you will get wiped off the court.

I think it is a combination of all. Great SI coaching without a doubt and they're definitely a great team. They have legitimate losses to two strong teams. From what I hear sfhs came out flat and SI played with heart all game long. Need to have your best game on display every night in the WCAL or you will get wiped off the court.

"Definitely a great team." Are you sure about that?

So what is your prediction for the next game against valley?

I watched valley's scrimmage against PW and they didn't lose by anything close to 45, granted it was a scrimmage.. VC beat leland by 9 and SF beat leland by 6 (which btw you predicted to be 20 pt blowout). Could be a good game. If SF loses, they will be in a tough position, 0-2, with SHC, pres and AM in that order with pressure to take 2 out of those 3 games to give them a shot at 2nd or 3rd.

So what is your prediction for the next game against valley?

I watched valley's scrimmage against PW and they didn't lose by anything close to 45, granted it was a scrimmage.. VC beat leland by 9 and SF beat leland by 6 (which btw you predicted to be 20 pt blowout). Could be a good game. If SF loses, they will be in a tough position, 0-2, with SHC, pres and AM in that order with pressure to take 2 out of those 3 games to give them a shot at 2nd or 3rd.

Sfhs will win. But it will be close. Pinewood made a point to beat the crap out of sfhs. If you want to do all the point differential matchups (which makes no sense btw), SHP only lost to pinewood by 10 and SFHS beat SHP by 28. So please stop comparing point differentials. Never makes sense. Doc wanted to rub it in for some reason.

The Leland game was 15 at half before sfhs mailed it in 2nd half. A parent there told me sfhs played defense like it was pinewood to get ready for the Pinewood game in the 2nd half vs Leland. Almost cost them the game.

I also said sfhs will go only as far as Uyehara and Grizelj will take them. Right now, they are not using the post at all. And it's costing them.

Still don't know why you downplay SFHS so much. They are good, but nowhere near top 12 in the nation as they were ranked earlier in the year.

Sfhs will win. But it will be close. Pinewood made a point to beat the crap out of sfhs. If you want to do all the point differential matchups (which makes no sense btw), SHP only lost to pinewood by 10 and SFHS beat SHP by 28. So please stop comparing point differentials. Never makes sense. Doc wanted to rub it in for some reason.

The Leland game was 15 at half before sfhs mailed it in 2nd half. A parent there told me sfhs played defense like it was pinewood to get ready for the Pinewood game in the 2nd half vs Leland. Almost cost them the game.

I also said sfhs will go only as far as Uyehara and Grizelj will take them. Right now, they are not using the post at all. And it's costing them.

Still don't know why you downplay SFHS so much. They are good, but nowhere near top 12 in the nation as they were ranked earlier in the year.

Top 12 in the nation. Wow. Where did that rating come from? Good lord.

If you want to do all the point differential matchups (which makes no sense btw)
oh dont worry, I know its not an exact science, but I haven't seen them play so common opponents aren't the worst way to get a ballpark prediction
Doc wanted to rub it in for some reason.
Its pretty obvious why he would want to do that..
Right now, they are not using the post at all. And it's costing them.
that's a shame, grizelj can do a lot in the paint. Is that a product of the system they are running at SF? Is she on the perimeter or not on the floor?
Still don't know why you downplay SFHS so much.
I'm sorry you feel that way, you get super defensive all the time so I have to assume you have a vested interest. So lets get deeper into this and see if you still think I'm a hater..

If I didn't post it on this forum, I thought SF would be a 2nd place team in WCAL play. They have 9 seniors, 2nd year in their new system, and some good young talent coming up both on varsity and on jv. With an experienced and clearly talented team I personally wanted to see them against some top teams in preseason, hence my comments about scheduling. They could be more battle tested at this time of year and ready for league. You have already said in your own words that they mailed in a half once and came out flat with less heart than an opponent. Neither of those things is something I would root for, and actually used to love the Harrigan coached teams because I always felt they played hard (NOT a knock on the current coach btw). I am rooting for them against valley, because again, if they drop that one, they will face the very real possibility of going 1-4 in the first half of league. On the contrary if they win they also have a good chance of being 3-2 going into the second round robin. So while you accuse me of "hating" over and over again I would argue that my desire for them to challenge themselves and be ready for the toughest league in nor cal is something of a compliment to their program and coach.

I hope that clears it up for you because thats the 2nd time I have had to have a wordy response to you explaining my point of view. You're really cutting into my work time on this fine friday :D

oh dont worry, I know its not an exact science, but I haven't seen them play so common opponents aren't the worst way to get a ballpark prediction

that's a shame, grizelj can do a lot in the paint. Is that a product of the system they are running at SF? Is she on the perimeter or not on the floor?

I'm sorry you feel that way, you get super defensive all the time so I have to assume you have a vested interest. So lets get deeper into this and see if you still think I'm a hater..

If I didn't post it on this forum, I thought SF would be a 2nd place team in WCAL play. They have 9 seniors, 2nd year in their new system, and some good young talent coming up both on varsity and on jv. With an experienced and clearly talented team I personally wanted to see them against some top teams in preseason, hence my comments about scheduling. They could be more battle tested at this time of year and ready for league. You have already said in your own words that they mailed in a half once and came out flat with less heart than an opponent. Neither of those things is something I would root for, and actually used to love the Harrigan coached teams because I always felt they played hard (NOT a knock on the current coach btw). I am rooting for them against valley, because again, if they drop that one, they will face the very real possibility of going 1-4 in the first half of league. On the contrary if they win they also have a good chance of being 3-2 going into the second round robin. So while you accuse me of "hating" over and over again I would argue that my desire for them to challenge themselves and be ready for the toughest league in nor cal is something of a compliment to their program and coach.

I hope that clears it up for you because thats the 2nd time I have had to have a wordy response to you explaining my point of view. You're really cutting into my work time on this fine friday :D
Lol. Ok, ok. I'll stop accusing. All your points are well stated. I agree with you on the soft schedule. Playing tougher opponents only makes your team better.

From what I hear they don't throw it in the post at all. Grizelj is still in the paint, but they are trying to run a Pinewood offense. I would use the post all day if I had a 6'2" girl in there. Only team that has that size in WCAL is Mitty.

And Harrigan was a great x's and o's guy. May have not been a player coach, but he was a great game planner.

From what I hear they don't throw it in the post at all. Grizelj is still in the paint, but they are trying to run a Pinewood offense. I would use the post all day if I had a 6'2" girl in there. Only team that has that size in WCAL is Mitty.
And Harrigan was a great x's and o's guy. May have not been a player coach, but he was a great game planner.
Exactly this.. Again, I haven't seen SF play this year (yet), but I think that Grizelj in her sophmore year under Harrigan was more effective than she was last year. She should be a force in the paint in a small WCAL this year. That's really too bad.

And not to open a whole different can of worms but clearly Harrigan is good at x's and o's, however I wouldn't say he wasnt a player coach. SF may not have been the right place for him, sounds like he couldn't get through to the parents or players. Or maybe winning cures all... but no one was saying he wasn't a players coach when he was winning national championships 10+ years ago when I started watching his teams. Personally, I hope he coaches again one day

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
Exactly this.. Again, I haven't seen SF play this year (yet), but I think that Grizelj in her sophmore year under Harrigan was more effective than she was last year. She should be a force in the paint in a small WCAL this year. That's really too bad.

And not to open a whole different can of worms but clearly Harrigan is good at x's and o's, however I wouldn't say he wasnt a player coach. SF may not have been the right place for him, sounds like he couldn't get through to the parents or players. Or maybe winning cures all... but no one was saying he wasn't a players coach when he was winning national championships 10+ years ago when I started watching his teams. Personally, I hope he coaches again one day

I agree. They don't use her nearly as much as they should. Harrigan used her much better.

Isn't he coaching at a small SF private school right now?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT