ADVERTISEMENT

Pinewood

I have always thought the C-let gym is tough on outside shooting teams who aren't used to it. The stage/curtain background may have stymied PW in the first half.

Whatever the reason, once a bunch of shots had been missed it seemed like PW kind of lost their composure. Took some bad shots, missed some easy ones. No plan B.

I was thinking during the first half that PW should commit to full court pressure. C-let is not overloaded with ball handlers. PW waited too long before making the adjustment. Understandable maybe - you always hope your shooters are going to shake it off.

Live by the three, die by the three.

I agree with your assessment on the ball-handling. As soon as Pinewood started to put on a full-court press, carondelet kept throwing the ball away. If they would have picked up their defense a little bit earlier in the game, who knows what could have happenes.

Still taking all bets on the Mitty Pinewood rematch. :)

Mitty's losses came with transfers not eligible yet. They also had sickness in AZ that hurt their team chemistry. They are at least having to play hard for 10 games in WCAL and building a solid rotation with their transfers now playing. When a team can start three 6 footers and sub with 3 more 6 footers that can all play and finish it is a difficult task.
I disagree with Clay, I think that Mitty is that one great team in the Bay Area this year. They have size, ball handlers, depth, shooters, and the best player in the Nation.
They are not the same team that lost 2 close games in Dec.

Reactions: basketba11
3 for 21...Jump didn't make a three until the 4th....Morris spent 3 days
drilling on how you defend the spaces on the court PW...aka Jump shoots her 3s... interesting last t comment by Morris...on the drives to the basket he wasn't going to help....he was willing to give up a layup rather than gamble that PW was going to shoot a 3...It worked last night...obviously

From the Merc...this morning...

Pinewood coach Doc Scheppler said his team got the shots it wanted but could not hit them, a trend that started before Wednesday.

“Experience is what you get when you don’t get what you want,” Scheppler said. “We want to win. We didn’t get it. What experience did you gain by playing in that situation? You’re going to get it by realizing you’re not going to win games when you shoot 3 of 21. We’re such a great shooting team, and we’re not showing that.”

Carondelet coach Michael Morris, in his first season, said his team spent three days putting together a scheme for Pinewood and the players followed it perfectly.

“We kind of went against what our natural principles are — help defense,” he said. “You saw tonight there were a lot of straight drives. We weren’t going to help because if you help and they kick, that’s how they kill you. We were like, ‘We’ll trade 2s for 3s.’ They didn’t make too many 3s tonight.”
Was the coach at the game? Carondelet gave up straight line drives, they gave up back door cuts when they HELPED on on threes and they gave up multiple 3 point attempts when they helped. The threes did not fall. I'm not a coach but I could have out a scheme together in a half day that gave up straight line drives, back cuts and 21 three point attempts.

I thought the difference was Carondelet pounded it inside and forced Pinewood to defend which left their only big body in foul trouble.

Mitty's losses came with transfers not eligible yet. They also had sickness in AZ that hurt their team chemistry. They are at least having to play hard for 10 games in WCAL and building a solid rotation with their transfers now playing. When a team can start three 6 footers and sub with 3 more 6 footers that can all play and finish it is a difficult task.
I disagree with Clay, I think that Mitty is that one great team in the Bay Area this year. They have size, ball handlers, depth, shooters, and the best player in the Nation.
Unless they get the sniffles again but at least they have an excuse.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
I think there are a lot of good teams in Northern California, but no great one. In that case, the default mode is that the team with the best player should be the favorite -- and Haley Jones is clearly the best player. Thus, Mitty is the favorite ...

Oddly, though, Mitty has played a weak schedule, and has a 24-point loss to Grandview, which is 9-3 and might be the third-best team in Colorado. The loss to Southridge, which lost to an ordinary Oregon team (Tigard), is also an indication that Mitty isn't at the same level as in the past.

And of course, the problem with relying on one player as the key factor is that it makes a team vulnerable to injury or shaky officiating.

Clay the only thing you're not taking into account is well coached teams get better by March than they were in November/ December. Mitty had a whole lot of new starters this year and of course would need time to develop trust and chemistry. I saw that as an early issue for them coming out the gates and wasn't surprised.Mitty would play Grandview and Southridge much better now. Just as Clet would if given a chance to play Mater Dei again would give them a tougher challenge (because Clet's new coaching staff is still learning what they're working with). Clet now has a coaching staff that doesn't just show up and play each game as they played the last. And they are consistently looking to improve. They are actually developing game plans and making game time adjustments that matches the best of coaches. When was the last time even going back to the awesome Natalie Romeo days anyone saw Clet move the ball in a half court offense anywhere near last night? There was no black hole where a bad shot is forced up just because the ball was deliberately kicked inside, or someone feels they have to score when given the ball. No they swing for the best shot not always the best person to set up a wide open 3 pointer or cutter. CLet could have been using that better ball movement and unselfish play but really hadn't had it offered to them for them to buy into it. This staff offered it and the team bought into it. Now it's like pick your poison. You can't just game plan to take Bamberger out because you might forget they have wide open options outside. Or she might pass the ball to someone cutting to the basket. Mitty comes to Clet in a couple of weeks and it should a good game for both teams. Because this is not the same Clet program of the past. This staff is working well together. There is no head coach ego that all assistants are sitting there practically quite with little to no input. No there is accountability and great communication within the entire program. And more caring eyes looking to help the team and each player improve. Along with a philosophy and leadership that is open to input and open to changing a culture that needed it IMO. Congratulations to Carondelet !

“We kind of went against what our natural principles are — help defense,” he said. “You saw tonight there were a lot of straight drives. We weren’t going to help because if you help and they kick, that’s how they kill you. We were like, ‘We’ll trade 2s for 3s.’ They didn’t make too many 3s tonight.” Clet coach Mike Morris

He took a bold gamble. This time it worked. And it exposed a few weaknesses in Pinewood.

Coaching matters. Good job coach.

Last edited:
Mitty has played a weak schedule, and has a 24-point loss to Grandview
For a writer that is very poor phrasing then. An independent clause with an implied subject.. And you never mentioned the words "regis" or "jesuit"... come on clay you're better than that.

Last edited:
if you think that the warriors and pinewood run the same offense you know even less about basketball than I previously thought.. which isn't a lot..

in fairness, when Pwood sprung the full-court press, Clet fumbled a few possessions, but then adjusted, got the ball up court, and forced Pwood to foul. not sure going press more would have helped Pwood. I know that versus MM, Clet figured out how to punish the press pretty quickly. and in Q4, with a big lead, Clet only wanted to get the ball up court and burn clock.

Mitty transfers overrated..

1 girl couldnt get off PW bench..
the other never played a minute of D at ESP.

Mitty will go as far as Ms Jones takes them...shes a stud so that could be a long ways. But Mitty is definitely NOT the powerhouse they have been the last couple of yrs.

in fairness, when Pwood sprung the full-court press, Clet fumbled a few possessions, but then adjusted, got the ball up court, and forced Pwood to foul. not sure going press more would have helped Pwood. I know that versus MM, Clet figured out how to punish the press pretty quickly. and in Q4, with a big lead, Clet only wanted to get the ball up court and burn clock.
Also Pinewood is not very deep this year. They don't press too often because it wears out their starters earlier. Plus when you press hard as they were, they will pick up many more fouls, as they did with their aggressiveness. If they had pressed earlier, they more than likely would have foul trouble with their starters as well.

Mitty will go as far as Ms Jones takes them...shes a stud so that could be a long ways. But Mitty is definitely NOT the powerhouse they have been the last couple of yrs.
I think we all can agree that they are not the powerhouse they have been in the last couple of years. But are they capable of winning a state championship? I would say YES. I agree that they will go as far Haley Jones takes them. Many people say she is the best player in the nation. If I had the best player in the nation, I would give her the reigns to the team and have her take her team as far as it can go too. Sometimes a team with more talented players (last years Mitty team) doesn't necessarily mean they are better than this year's team. This year's team may have more defined role players. The starters know who is going to get the ball when they need that clutch shot. The shooters know to spot up on the wings when penetration is made. The bigs know they have to box out, rebound, play tough defense, block shots and get put backs. When you have a team that might be less talented as last year, but they play more together as a team and every one knows their roles, they could definitely win a state championship this year. I think they can play with anyone in the country. Yes, they did take 2 close losses in AZ, maybe that will make them better in the long run? I would not count this Mitty team out at all, especially with their coaching. Just sayin-

I think we all can agree that they are not the powerhouse they have been in the last couple of years. But are they capable of winning a state championship? I would say YES. I agree that they will go as far Haley Jones takes them. Many people say she is the best player in the nation. If I had the best player in the nation, I would give her the reigns to the team and have her take her team as far as it can go too. Sometimes a team with more talented players (last years Mitty team) doesn't necessarily mean they are better than this year's team. This year's team may have more defined role players. The starters know who is going to get the ball when they need that clutch shot. The shooters know to spot up on the wings when penetration is made. The bigs know they have to box out, rebound, play tough defense, block shots and get put backs. When you have a team that might be less talented as last year, but they play more together as a team and every one knows their roles, they could definitely win a state championship this year. I think they can play with anyone in the country. Yes, they did take 2 close losses in AZ, maybe that will make them better in the long run? I would not count this Mitty team out at all, especially with their coaching. Just sayin-

Thats a fair post and I dont disagree with it.

Letting the best player in the country get loose is never a bad idea.

Reactions: Paytc
Northbay ( cant call you guru). I am curious on your take of all these players. Are you on the staff at pinewood or any other school? Lots to say about players...or are you just a social media basketball guru

Just curious...

Also Pinewood is not very deep this year. They don't press too often because it wears out their starters earlier.
On the other hand, Mitty is deep this year. Lots of talented players of all sizes coming on and off the bench the entire game. I'm sure it wasn't lost on the Mitty coaching staff that Clet did have trouble when Pinewood was pressing them. In the Mitty-Clet game later this month, I would expect to see Mitty pressing the entire game.

As for the Mitty transfers, I haven't seen them play live yet, I've only watched video of the last three games. But they look pretty good to me so far. They will definitely add inside depth which is key against bigger teams like Clet. These two sophomores would have been quite valuable in Arizona, where the two teams Mitty lost to were very tall. Taking that a step further though, if they had beaten Southridge in the first AZ game, they would have been on the winner's side of the bracket, and there were several teams there that could have beaten them. So I'm not saying they would have won more games in AZ with the transfers, only that they now match up better against tall teams (like Clet). Can't wait for that matchup on Jan 21. Wish I had that day off from work. :-(

O

As for an Open Division state title, it may help that there is no super team in SoCal this year.

One started last night and the other was the first sub off the bench.

While you continually used to say "pw staff isnt dumb" I would contest that neither is sue phillips.. granted I saw a blowout vs pres last night, I believe they will both get significant minutes on saturday. Does that mean that langly is a defensive stopper all of a sudden? no, but I'm sure she's getting better, and playing with talent around her can hide some defensive deficiencies (northbay's take not mine). The one from pinewood is going to have college offers rolling in soon if they havent already started. Mark my words

Thats a fair post and I dont disagree with it.

Letting the best player in the country get loose is never a bad idea.

True but if you're the opposing coaches ( on a comparable team) and you let one player beat you I question your coaching. You can pressure that player just enough to keep them occupied to not see and run into a charging foul if they try to do too much. Now could that one player have an almost out of body performance? Perhaps once in a generation that out of body performance is displayed. And at that time all you can do is be fortunate you actually witnessed that performance up close and personal. And you go congratulate that player. And be sure to get their autograph on a ball you'll never use and/ or a few hundred dollar bills.

Part of coaching is gambling. You have to at times take chances. Give some to get some. So giving one player just enough but not too much to kill you tends to work in the favor of a coach who doesn't let fear intimidate them. Rarely will one player beat teams on comparable levels when all other things are equal.

Even Kobe, Lebron, MJ, Bird, Magic, Kareem, McKale, Curry, etc... need help to win Championships.

Last edited:
So Grandview and Southridge won't get better? You can say that Mitty will improve over the course of the season, but so will the well-coached teams they have to beat (presumably the poorly coached teams wouldn't beat them anyway).

And one reason someone is the best player in the country is because you can't keep them from breaking loose. If they could be contained that easily, they wouldn't be the best player in the country.

So Grandview and Southridge won't get better? You can say that Mitty will improve over the course of the season, but so will the well-coached teams they have to beat (presumably the poorly coached teams wouldn't beat them anyway).

And one reason someone is the best player in the country is because you can't keep them from breaking loose. If they could be contained that easily, they wouldn't be the best player in the country.

No what I was saying was Mitty had to my knowledge 4 new starting parts. My guess is Grandview and Southridge had more return players that have played together longer than Mitty had. But hey I could be wrong. But I still think Mitty would play better than they did once Haley and the new players had time to all build trust and chemistry. Who cares what the other team does? I just said they "Mitty" would play better once they were more familiar with one another. Plus now they've added transfers to get in sync with. Definitely not the same team. I never said who would definitely win.

As far as the best player in the nation or any best player goes I've seen players much better than any high school kid. Players like those greats I mentioned from the NBA.

And all the so call great players I mentioned all needed help to win championships. They may not have needed help to lead the league in scoring. But winning championships typically takes a team effort. Also the best players on earth on occasion run into defenses or a defender, that scheme ways to somewhat contain them.

Last edited:
Northbay ( cant call you guru). I am curious on your take of all these players. Are you on the staff at pinewood or any other school? Lots to say about players...or are you just a social media basketball guru

Just curious...

I have it on pretty good authority that neither staff was too heartbroken the girls transferred.

I'll leave it at that

That's a shame ...but hey if you have the inside scoop ( on all things girls basketball related ) please continue to share with us all. It is good reading..

On the other hand, Mitty is deep this year. Lots of talented players of all sizes coming on and off the bench the entire game. I'm sure it wasn't lost on the Mitty coaching staff that Clet did have trouble when Pinewood was pressing them. In the Mitty-Clet game later this month, I would expect to see Mitty pressing the entire game.

As for the Mitty transfers, I haven't seen them play live yet, I've only watched video of the last three games. But they look pretty good to me so far. They will definitely add inside depth which is key against bigger teams like Clet. These two sophomores would have been quite valuable in Arizona, where the two teams Mitty lost to were very tall. Taking that a step further though, if they had beaten Southridge in the first AZ game, they would have been on the winner's side of the bracket, and there were several teams there that could have beaten them. So I'm not saying they would have won more games in AZ with the transfers, only that they now match up better against tall teams (like Clet). Can't wait for that matchup on Jan 21. Wish I had that day off from work. :-(
I'm sure the transfers could have helped. But probably if they were healthy and half of the players didn't have to go to the emergency room with sickness, that might have changed the outcome also. Key words: might have, LOL. But I'm sure many of you know, sometimes a loss in your season can be a kick in the butt and motivation to get better. With those losses in AZ, could be helpful for the rest of their season. Any good coaching staff will use losses as motivation for the rest of the season. Their tough league schedule and upcoming non-league games against Salesian and away games at Carondelet and SJND should tell us a lot. As I stated in an earlier post, with these new showcase games every weekend, it is fun to be able to see the top teams play each other before playoff season! and will be great to see the rematches as well!

On the other hand, Mitty is deep this year. Lots of talented players of all sizes coming on and off the bench the entire game.

As for the Mitty transfers, I haven't seen them play live yet, I've only watched video of the last three games. But they look pretty good to me so far.

I watched a few of the Mitty games w/o the transfers. Compared to previous years, they don't have the same level of ball handling and shooting that they had previously. I watched parts of the TOC on video. They had Jones bring the ball up a lot in some of the games, and it was difficult for her to bring the ball up and score directly off the dribble against a set defense/double teams. Things might be different now with the transfers. But those two are neither ball handlers nor shooters. What the transfers do bring is size, rebounding, and scoring, which lessens the pressure on Jones. Even she cannot do it all in a competitive game: bring the ball up court, shoot, rebound, drive/score 30 points, defend. If they had a top guard, I'd say they are unstoppable, but with the transfers' size/nimbleness/scoring, combined with Jones, they definitely are in the running for NorCal and State titles, but it is not a sure thing by any means. Without the transfers, I think Mitty would have quite a lot of trouble because the non-transfer bigs aren't great scorers, and the shooting/ball handling isn't that strong so the burden on Jones would be too much.

I watched a few of the Mitty games w/o the transfers. Compared to previous years, they don't have the same level of ball handling and shooting that they had previously. I watched parts of the TOC on video. They had Jones bring the ball up a lot in some of the games, and it was difficult for her to bring the ball up and score directly off the dribble against a set defense/double teams. Things might be different now with the transfers. But those two are neither ball handlers nor shooters. What the transfers do bring is size, rebounding, and scoring, which lessens the pressure on Jones. Even she cannot do it all in a competitive game: bring the ball up court, shoot, rebound, drive/score 30 points, defend. If they had a top guard, I'd say they are unstoppable, but with the transfers' size/nimbleness/scoring, combined with Jones, they definitely are in the running for NorCal and State titles, but it is not a sure thing by any means. Without the transfers, I think Mitty would have quite a lot of trouble because the non-transfer bigs aren't great scorers, and the shooting/ball handling isn't that strong so the burden on Jones would be too much.
Very well written, I agree with all that you say, very good points. It is obvious that their current players are not at the level that Ortiz was as ball handler and Miyahara was shooter, but I have seen many of their guards play-Andaya, Hiraki, Hernandez and McNicholas. Each of these girls are more than capable of handling extreme defensive pressure and can also hit their share of outside shots. It surprises me that Jones must bring the ball up as much as she does, if that's the case. I'm sure if you recognize this, then the coaching staff will too. Maybe they will read our posts and make the necessary adjustments! LOL!!!

Clay the only thing you're not taking into account is well coached teams get better by March than they were in November/ December. Mitty had a whole lot of new starters this year and of course would need time to develop trust and chemistry. I saw that as an early issue for them coming out the gates and wasn't surprised. Just as Clet would if given a chance to play Mater Dei again give them a tougher challenge (because Clet's new coaching staff is still learning what they're working with). Clet now has a coaching staff that doesn't just show up and play each game as they played the last. They are actually developing game plans and making game time adjustments that matches the best of coaches. When was the last time even going back to the awesome Natalie Romeo days anyone saw Clet move the ball in a half court offense anywhere near last night? There is no black hole where a bad shot is forced up just because the ball was deliberately kicked inside, or someone feels they have to score when given the ball. No they swing for the best shot not always the best person to set up a wide open 3 pointer. CLet could have been using that better ball movement and unselfish play but really hadn't had it offered to them for them to buy into it. This staff offered it and the team bought into it. Now it's like pick your poison. You can't just game plan to take Bamberger out because you might forget they have wide open options outside. Or she might pass the ball to someone cutting to the basket. Mitty comes to Clet in a couple of weeks and it should a good game for both teams. Because this is not the same Clet program of the past. This staff is working well together. There is no head coach ego that all assistants are sitting there practically quite with little to no input. No there is accountability and great communication. And more caring eyes looking to help the team and each player improve. Along with a philosophy and leadership that is open to input and open to changing a culture that needed it IMO. Congratulations to Carondelet !

“We kind of went against what our natural principles are — help defense,” he said. “You saw tonight there were a lot of straight drives. We weren’t going to help because if you help and they kick, that’s how they kill you. We were like, ‘We’ll trade 2s for 3s.’ They didn’t make too many 3s tonight.” Clet coach Mike Morris

Coaching matters. Good job coach.

1 girl that could not get off the bench at Pinewood will have a fully paid for college education because of her basketball ability. I would say she is talented. The other that never played a minute of D, according to you was the best player on Eastside last year. Regardless of your opinion she is still pretty good and again will have her college education paid for due to basketball skills. Neither of them are Haley Jones but is anyone?

As the #1 player in the country on one of the top teams in the state I think Haley Jones carrying them is probably accurate as it is with any team. Although I think the supporting cast is pretty good, when healthy..... Could not resist that jab.

I have it on pretty good authority that neither staff was too heartbroken the girls transferred.

I'll leave it at that
Childish remark and really sad coming from an adult. I wonder if Eastside was sad about the other player that transferred out of their program to Salesian. Two players in the same class transfer out? PW could have used the player they were not sad to see leave last night. 6'1 athlete might have helped, if the coach knew how to use that talent.

Those two programs may not have wanted those kids but I suspect there are hundreds that would love to have them.

I'm sure the transfers could have helped. But probably if they were healthy and half of the players didn't have to go to the emergency room with sickness, that might have changed the outcome also. Key words: might have, LOL. But I'm sure many of you know, sometimes a loss in your season can be a kick in the butt and motivation to get better. With those losses in AZ, could be helpful for the rest of their season. Any good coaching staff will use losses as motivation for the rest of the season. Their tough league schedule and upcoming non-league games against Salesian and away games at Carondelet and SJND should tell us a lot. As I stated in an earlier post, with these new showcase games every weekend, it is fun to be able to see the top teams play each other before playoff season! and will be great to see the rematches as well!
Now it is half the team? Went from 2-3 to 4-5 to now half?

if you think that the warriors and pinewood run the same offense you know even less about basketball than I previously thought.. which isn't a lot..
Basketball...basketball...
I never said I knew about basketball....
I know how to train a human body to get from point A to point B....with continually improving speed, power or force....basically that is all I know anything about.... because I have been doing it for 20 years...
Also know how to improve mental toughness while imposing great amounts of affirmation....aka how to train the mind to get the best out of people....
Basketball is just something that relates to what I train...
Also have tons of fun on this board throwing out tweet-like jabs every once in a while

Basketball...basketball...
I never said I knew about basketball....
I know how to train a human body to get from point A to point B....with continually improving speed, power or force....basically that is all I know anything about.... because I have been doing it for 20 years...
Also know how to improve mental toughness while imposing great amounts of affirmation....aka how to train the mind to get the best out of people....
Basketball is just something that relates to what I train...
Also have tons of fun on this board throwing out tweet-like jabs every once in a while
Get over yourself.. plenty of people we used to work with would beg to differ. And you sure as hell post like you think you know about the sport.. I'm glad you publicly admit you don't know $h!t about it, puts everything you and jazzpt said in perspective

Reactions: straightline50
The
1 girl that could not get off the bench at Pinewood will have a fully paid for college education because of her basketball ability. I would say she is talented. The other that never played a minute of D, according to you was the best player on Eastside last year. Regardless of your opinion she is still pretty good and again will have her college education paid for due to basketball skills. Neither of them are Haley Jones but is anyone?

As the #1 player in the country on one of the top teams in the state I think Haley Jones carrying them is probably accurate as it is with any team. Although I think the supporting cast is pretty good, when healthy..... Could not resist that jab.[/QUO

We all know coaches get salty when they lose players. That's exactly what happened with prep and 'wood. You telling me they wouldn't want/need those players this year and the next two? Come on. They definitely make Mitty better because they can score.

Like I said in previous posts, Ortiz and Claros leaving definitely made these teams weaker.

4 kids plus 1 coach went to the ER after the Southridge game. No excuse, just fact.
It just gets old. old old old. I am not doubting the fact that they went to the ER. What did they get at the ER? Two years ago when they lost at the TOC we heard the same thing, players sick and this and that. When they won the TOC, not one player was sick? I would be at least 33% of the teams at the TOC had a player out sick on one or more of the games but we only hear about Mitty and after they lose. Fact or no fact these are things that should not leak out because it just illustrates why this program can't get over the hump. Too soft, built in excuses.

2019 you have the best player in the country and it is not even close, you are healthy (ER visits out of the way) you are deeper than you have ever been and to top it off you added two division 1 players (regardless of Guru's assessment of them) in January. You can't have an excuse this year.

Get over yourself.. plenty of people we used to work with would beg to differ. And you sure as hell post like you think you know about the sport.. I'm glad you publicly admit you don't know $h!t about it, puts everything you and jazzpt said in perspective
Post of the year

It just gets old. old old old.
I find it curious that "Jane Doe is injured", "ACL tear, out for the year", and "Back from injury, but playing restricted minutes" are all valid points, and worthy of discussion related to whether they will affect a team positively or negatively. But "X number of players had the flu and had to go to the ER after the game" is not a valid topic, universally determined to be a premeditated excuse.

Come on folks, you're better than that. No one said they would have won the TOC if they hadn't been sick, only that it happened. And it might be an interesting bit of information if you're trying to understand whether the team might be better than they played in those games.

Just heard that Southridge, the team that beat Mitty, had three kids who were really sick as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT