ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Scoreboard: November 19-20

I’d say maybe the gap is closing in the southern section, however, I still don’t see any programs in Northern California having a prayer against the Mater Dei’s and St. John Boscos

If Jesuit, DLS or St. Mary’s starts recruiting and landing all the best talent throughout the Valley and Bay area, as MD and SJB started doing around 7 years ago down in SoCal -- they would have a prayer. But luckily NorCal doesn’t roll that way.

Let’s be real. MD and SJB weren’t this good a decade ago and before. Servite with the return of Troy Thomas has recently jumped in the transfer game with both feet to help spread the talent out amongst the Trinity.

When student-athletes are transferring in then out after football season — HS ball down South has jumped the shark. It just ain’t real anymore.

Building an all-star team with the best talent LA has to offer then facing teams that aren’t doing the same — are the results really all that shocking?

Give the DLS staff close to the same talent as MD, SJB and Servite and they win 7 or 8 of every 10 played.

That’s exactly what was happening prior to 2013 when SJB started the avalanche.

If Jesuit, DLS or St. Mary’s starts recruiting and landing all the best talent throughout the Valley and Bay area, as MD and SJB started doing around 7 years ago down in SoCal -- they would have a prayer. But luckily NorCal doesn’t roll that way.

Let’s be real. MD and SJB weren’t this good a decade ago and before. Servite with the return of Troy Thomas has recently jumped in the transfer game with both feet to help spread the talent out amongst the Trinity.

When student-athletes are transferring in then out after football season — HS ball down South has jumped the shark. It just ain’t real anymore.

Building an all-star team with the best talent LA has to offer then facing teams that aren’t doing the same — are the results really all that shocking?

Give the DLS staff close to the same talent as MD, SJB and Servite and they win 7 or 8 of every 10 played.

This is true. But those schools are devoted to winning and having the best team, and beating everyone they play. I'm ok with that, it's just out of control the way it's being done down there. And I can't think of anything to remedy that situation, since the principles who are doing the winning are perfectly ok with it, and there are no rules being broken .

Last edited:
Rocklin responds with a 15 yard passing TD, down 45-48 with less than 2 min left.
Any idea why the St. Mary's coach at the end of the game had to be restrained by another coach while he was saying something to what looked like some of the Rocklin coaching staff? Was it just after the game loss emotions or was there something going on during the game that the St. Mary's staff was not liking that was going on on the field? Just curious. I saw it on the St. Mary's broadcast on NFHS at the end and just made me wonder about it.

Reactions: aztecpadre
This is one of the most surprsing results of the weekend
You think ?!?! Nobody but nobody picked Foothill in this weeks Pic'ems. Yours Truly had them at the #10) position. Geesh Louise. I think the State Gaming Commission should follow the money on this fix.........anybody have a bridge for sale?

Reactions: FBAddict
This is true. But those schools are devoted to winning and having the best team, and beating everyone they play. I'm ok with that, it's just out of control the way it's being done down there. And I can't think of anything to remedy that situation, since the principles who are doing the winning are perfectly ok with it, and there are no rules being broken .

IDK about rules not being broken. But assuming for a moment that they aren’t — they are breaking what I consider to be unwritten rules regarding general competition among amateur HS and youth athletics. Play and win (or lose) with your own.

Collegiate athletics is about recruiting the best talent you can find from all over the State and/or country. HS is supposed to be a local thing.

It’s one thing to draw in front running student-athletes from fringe areas. But altogether different to recruit kids from far outside your own border.

I hate losing as much as anyone. But the competitor in me refuses to ever steal money or property from the Monopoly bank so-to-speak in order to gain an edge.

I have no respect for competitors that feel they have bend the rules to the point of nearly breaking them or latch on to advantages they know their rivals don’t have access to just so they can win. I‘ll never understand how any competitor can feel good about winning that way. Because they really aren’t. It’s all a fugazi.

IMO that’s what these private school programs down South are doing.

Lastly, yes, I know the same goes on to some degree in collegiate and pro athletics — but there is also money and other things on the line at those levels. That isn’t and should never be the case for HS athletics.

Off my soapbox for now….

Reactions: RidgeRider
Any idea why the St. Mary's coach at the end of the game had to be restrained by another coach while he was saying something to what looked like some of the Rocklin coaching staff? Was it just after the game loss emotions or was there something going on during the game that the St. Mary's staff was not liking that was going on on the field? Just curious. I saw it on the St. Mary's broadcast on NFHS at the end and just made me wonder about it.

I’ll have to re-watch. I didn’t notice or see any friction between coaches. When I spotted Coach Franks minutes after the game had ended he appeared very composed and relaxed.

Reactions: RidgeRider
I’ll have to re-watch. I didn’t notice or see any friction between coaches. When I spotted Coach Franks minutes after the game had ended he appeared very composed and relaxed.
It looks to me that he was moving towards an official as they ran off the field, could be wrong though.

I find this post both humorous and expected from this crowd. Keep in mind this boards excuse for DLS successful history, then read this excuse fest.

This has been to the detriment of anyone else who doesn’t join in that game. LB Poly is a shell of themselves. The rest of the Corona schools are absolutely terrible, aside from Centennial. Same in Mission Viejo, except for the Diablos.

These handful of teams are stripping the talent off of their neighbors, then SoCal fans beat their chests about how good their competition is, when it’s really just a few teams.

It looks to me that he was moving towards an official as they ran off the field, could be wrong though.
Very well could have been. I'd have to go back and see if they were nearby. Lots of folks in the direction of his words so not sure exactly who he was upset with but refs or opposing team would make the most sense. What a game though! I finally watched it last night cause I couldn't watch it live.

Rocklin got a little lucky BUT they kept coming back when it looked like they might loose their grip and they confidently never did and made a big play at the end. That missed PAT by St. Mary's was oh so crucial...but thats what we love about high school football.

The Thunder need to bear down for Folsom, I didn't think Folsom would get through Jesuit to be honest, I figured it would be close and Jesuit nearly beat them. I thought Jesuit and Rocklin would match up well and it would be a good game to watch.

Looking forward to seeing Rocklin rub folsom's nose in the mud :)

Reactions: Sarahmoose2
IDK about rules not being broken. But assuming for a moment that they aren’t — they are breaking what I consider to be unwritten rules regarding general competition among amateur HS and youth athletics. Play and win (or lose) with your own.

Collegiate athletics is about recruiting the best talent you can find from all over the State and/or country. HS is supposed to be a local thing.

It’s one thing to draw in front running student-athletes from fringe areas. But altogether different to recruit kids from far outside your own border.

I hate losing as much as anyone. But the competitor in me refuses to ever steal money or property from the Monopoly bank so-to-speak in order to gain an edge.

I have no respect for competitors that feel they have bend the rules to the point of nearly breaking them or latch on to advantages they know their rivals don’t have access to just so they can win. I‘ll never understand how any competitor can feel good about winning that way. Because they really aren’t. It’s all a fugazi.

IMO that’s what these private school programs down South are doing.

Lastly, yes, I know the same goes on to some degree in collegiate and pro athletics — but there is also money and other things on the line at those levels. That isn’t and should never be the case for HS athletics.

Off my soapbox for now….
My thoughts, exactly.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Rocklin got a little lucky BUT they kept coming back when it looked like they might loose their grip and they confidently never did and made a big play at the end. That missed PAT by St. Mary's was oh so crucial...but thats what we love about high school football.

The Thunder need to bear down for Folsom, I didn't think Folsom would get through Jesuit to be honest, I figured it would be close and Jesuit nearly beat them. I thought Jesuit and Rocklin would match up well and it would be a good game to watch.

Looking forward to seeing Rocklin rub folsom's nose in the mud :)
Folsom by 17 :D

Reactions: FBAddict
This has been to the detriment of anyone else who doesn’t join in that game. LB Poly is a shell of themselves. The rest of the Corona schools are absolutely terrible, aside from Centennial. Same in Mission Viejo, except for the Diablos.

These handful of teams are stripping the talent off of their neighbors, then SoCal fans beat their chests about how good their competition is, when it’s really just a few teams.
Wrong. Norco for example made the open playoff bracket which isn’t far from Corona along with MV and L Alamitos. LBP is in a championship game this weekend. Tesoro I think was a 9 win team, there are many examples that prove this theory simply wrong. But again it’s the excuse that’s needed to justify failure.

Wrong. Norco for example made the open playoff bracket which isn’t far from Corona along with MV and L Alamitos. LBP is in a championship game this weekend. Tesoro I think was a 9 win team, there are many examples that prove this theory simply wrong. But again it’s the excuse that’s needed to justify failure.
Norco annually gets whipped by Centennial and isn't in the same town. Corona and Santiago are, though, and they're terrible.

Las Flores, where Tesoro is located, is not in the same town as Mission Viejo. Also, they finished in last place in the South Coast League at 2-8.

Los Alamitos was overrated all year long. Pollsters ignored close call after close call until Santa Margarita finally got them. Until this year, they had been getting dispatched in the second round of D-III.

Yes, LB Poly is in a championship game... in Division 4. This is a program that annually competed right with Mater Dei for the D-I title. Instead, they're getting clobbered by Centennial and are dropped to D-IV.

Reactions: MC415
Norco annually gets whipped by Centennial and isn't in the same town. Corona and Santiago are, though, and they're terrible.

Las Flores, where Tesoro is located, is not in the same town as Mission Viejo. Also, they finished in last place in the South Coast League at 2-8.

Los Alamitos was overrated all year long. Pollsters ignored close call after close call until Santa Margarita finally got them. Until this year, they had been getting dispatched in the second round of D-III.

Yes, LB Poly is in a championship game... in Division 4. This is a program that annually competed right with Mater Dei for the D-I title. Instead, they're getting clobbered by Centennial and are dropped to D-IV.
Tesoro not sure why I posted them meant Trabuco hills. And I didn’t say Norco was in Corona I said it’s not far which it isn’t. And overrated or not those programs qualified for the open bracket where many privates didn’t. But again folks like you need excuses for failure I get it. And Poly’s issues are not the recruiting of other programs that issue was well documented and discussed. Just like the fantasy kids are transfering in for football then transferring out at seasons end. I think that happened with a couple kids a few years back and they left due to not being able to graduate dues to religion credits if memory serves me right not simply because football ended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT