ADVERTISEMENT

Pleasant Grove names new head coach

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
Nolan Dunkly has been named the new head coach at Pleasant Grove. Rob Rinaldi will now coach the freshman program.

John Hull

And now Dunkly has stepped down because he didn't think he could devote the necessary time. Important crossroads time for Pleasant Grove athletics.

John Hull

Streak, see John Hull's latest blog entry to hear Dunkly's explanation. There is more than one side to every story. His explanation is different than the school's. He didn't resign because of an inability or an unwillingness to "devote the necessary time."

http://www.elkgrovesports.com/2014/08/dunkly-resigns-pg-baseball-job-after.html

This post was edited on 8/16 8:17 AM by joe cattolico

Pleasant Grove Baseball

Per Coach Joe above

UPDATE: Dunkly Resigns PG Baseball

Barely a week after he was hired to coach varsity baseball at Pleasant Grove, Nolan Dunkly Thursday resigned the post.

He explained his reason for quitting on Friday.

"My idea of how the program should be run and the way the administration thinks it should be run were two different things," he said. "I didn't want this to linger so I thought it best to quit now."

Dunkly didn't want to get into the specifics of the disagreement.

"I was really looking forward to coaching this group of boys," he said. "They are a great group of guys. I coached them two years ago on the junior varsity squad."

The Eagles' athletic director Bruce Belden confirmed the resignation Thursday evening saying Dunkly felt as though he couldn't devote the time necessary to the baseball program.

"Like any good teacher his number one priority is his classroom, and I completely understand this, he felt as though he couldn't give the energy necessary to both programs," Belden said. "I truly respect him because he's a great teacher."

Dunkly has been a history teacher at Pleasant Grove for seven years. He graduated from UC-San Diego in 2004 where he played baseball, as well.

Dunkly didn't say whether he might do any coaching in the spring.

"This week has been such a whirlwind, I haven't even thought about that," he said.

The Eagles are the defending Delta River League champions after a 21-5 season. Under Rinaldi Pleasant Grove has won 21 or more games five years in a row.
Dunkly is a 2000 graduate of Elk Grove High School where he played football, soccer and baseball.

On Monday Dunkly announced that former varsity head coach Rob Rinaldi would now coach the freshman team and long-time varsity assistant Tom Alston would be the junior varsity coach. It's unknown whether they will continue in those assignments.

Has anyone here ever heard of any varsity coach, let alone the head coach of a varsity program, who was a teacher, who had their class prep scheduled for the last period of the day?

Not sure what you mean...does this mean the last period of the day "off", because as a coach, that is good. If this "prep" makes the coach unavailable the last period, that is bad. But many schools have a block or a rotating schedule and the last period of the day may be a different period each day, I am not sure of the question.

I would really like to know what the "real" story is too, PG is a great program and Rob is a great guy and great coach.

What is really going on? Does anyone know?

I take it then you're saying you know of many schools where the head coach of the program is forced to either do his classroom prep on his own time, or take the last period of the day to do it, thus not being available on the athletic field.

Since I'm not a teacher or a school administrator, I don't know. When my kid was in HS, the HC of the baseball program did all his classroom prep early in the day, then was out on the baseball field for last period. He wasn't grading papers and doing all the other class prep work at home, when he often didn't get there until 9-10PM. I don't know about anyone else, but to me the classroom should always be the #1 priority, and the administration should do whatever it can to make it easier for coaches to do that and still take care of the student athletes on the field.

As an AD, I do as much as possible to ensure that teachers who also coach have their prep period as the last period of the day, especially if it is a sport where the team needs to travel to away games before school is out (baseball, softball, volleyball, golf, etc). This is beneficial to the students because a teacher isn't missing class time due to athletic contests (a baseball coach could easily miss 15-20 classes during the season). Our coaches must be on the bus with the players.

As a teacher, I do work at home all the time. There is no way I could finish everything I need to do during one prep period.

Originally posted by joe cattolico:
Streak, see John Hull's latest blog entry to hear Dunkly's explanation. There is more than one side to every story. His explanation is different than the school's. He didn't resign because of an inability or an unwillingness to "devote the necessary time."

http://www.elkgrovesports.com/2014/08/dunkly-resigns-pg-baseball-job-after.html

This post was edited on 8/16 8:17 AM by joe cattolico
Thank you for the clarification. I either missed that part of the story or it is a new post, but either way it is a very important part to the story.

So.... what is the real story here? Sounds to me like they are trying to "de-emphasize" sports at PG.

The Davis issue is much deeper than that. The former AD wasn't even on the interview panel for the football coach position. The former AD is now a vice-principal in another district (at Fairfield High, I believe).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT