ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season Sacramento top 10???

vukovich

Sports Fanatic
Jun 29, 2004
Season is getting closer so let's get some dialogue going. I think there is a clear top 3 then it get's pretty unclear.

1. Sheldon
2. Grant
3. CC

Then a cluster of teams that seem pretty close. Folsom, Jesuit, Whitney, Sac, Franklin

1. Sheldon
2. Grant
3. CC
Burbank
Cordova
Folsom
Franklin
Inderkum
Jesuit
Oak Ridge
River Valley
Rocklin
Sac High

Last edited:
I meant to include Oak Ridge, Rich doing a excellent job with Oak Ridge; also expect Hibbs to have Woodcreek playing hard and tough. Monterey Trail, Liberty Ranch and others.

So does MC not count as Sacramento area or did they just fall off a cliff this summer in terms of talent/how good they are?

So does MC not count as Sacramento area or did they just fall off a cliff this summer in terms of talent/how good they are?
The thread says Sacramento, not Sacramento area or SJS.
If you use the Capital as reference Modesto Christian is 86 miles away. Salesian 69 De La Salle 70 St Mary’s 44 Weston Ranch 53 . None of them were included . Also no team from Modesto will be ranked by sac bee so maybe start a Norcal Pre season

Top 3 are very strong and then there is a decent falloff. Oak Ridge will be long with Middleton and Brown at the wings. Both kids are 6"5ish and can flat out ball. They have good size down low with a few 6"6 big bodies from last year team. Only area suspect area I see is guard play. Time will tell but with as many as Folsom lost OR is going to give them a run for the SFL.

The thread says Sacramento, not Sacramento area or SJS.
If you use the Capital as reference Modesto Christian is 86 miles away. Salesian 69 De La Salle 70 St Mary’s 44 Weston Ranch 53 . None of them were included . Also no team from Modesto will be ranked by sac bee so maybe start a Norcal Pre season

Was just asking a question my man lol but thanks for clarifying

Sheldon could compete on a National Level if you ask me....Will def. push the Open/Div 1 Championship Bracket to it's limits....

Reactions: Martsn916
Top 3 are very strong and then there is a decent falloff. Oak Ridge will be long with Middleton and Brown at the wings. Both kids are 6"5ish and can flat out ball. They have good size down low with a few 6"6 big bodies from last year team. Only area suspect area I see is guard play. Time will tell but with as many as Folsom lost OR is going to give them a run for the SFL.

I still don't see anyone but Folsom winning the SFL this year. Not elite talent this year but still plenty of solid players and the best coach IMO.

Doesn't Sheldon have a bunch of transfer kids? I heard a bulk of their team is transfers or open enrollment students. Can anyone clarify?

I still don't see anyone but Folsom winning the SFL this year. Not elite talent this year but still plenty of solid players and the best coach IMO.

Agree about Coach Wall. He does a great job. But Folsom lost so much talent off last year's team that knocked off Salesian in the playoffs. (Forbes, Mccain, Johnson, Gallegos) are all gone and playing college hoops. That is 90% of there offense. Folsom has little size returning with exception of Lynch. He will be out late for awhile though due to Football. Not saying they won't be good. There JV team was 25-1 but in this day and age if you are good enough you play varsity regardless of class. OR played Folsom even in that playoff game late in the season before losing by 5. They return a good core from last year. Def 2 kids that will play at next level.

Reactions: cookie530
Coach Wall does an outstanding job at Folsom. Will they be as good as last year? No they won’t but they will be better than people think and a team nobody wants to play in the playoffs.

Outside of Sheldon any team can be beat on any given night. Will be a good competitive year for our area. This could be another year where Sacramento doesnt have a power 5 conference signee. Could be 3rd year in a row.

Sheldon is good and the favorite but the gap is not as far as some of you think.

Agree about Coach Wall. He does a great job. But Folsom lost so much talent off last year's team that knocked off Salesian in the playoffs. (Forbes, Mccain, Johnson, Gallegos) are all gone and playing college hoops. That is 90% of there offense. Folsom has little size returning with exception of Lynch. He will be out late for awhile though due to Football. Not saying they won't be good. There JV team was 25-1 but in this day and age if you are good enough you play varsity regardless of class. OR played Folsom even in that playoff game late in the season before losing by 5. They return a good core from last year. Def 2 kids that will play at next level.

@larry, u Make comments on here like you are an authority. Ur a dude who watches high school sports. U don’t sound like u have ever coached. I honestly question if u ever played past jv. U say that oak ridge returns a good core. They lost their whole starting five from last year. All seniors. Drake is going to have a solid senior year, not only because he had talent, but also because of his off-season play. I watched his team play at a couple of events and he looked disciplined and was playing solid defense. I’m not sure about the Brown kid because he did not play a lot last year. I watched him play a couple weekends ago and he looked solid. Oak Ridge will finish the Sfl in third behind Rocklin and Folsom who will win it again.

I also noticed you forgot to include Isaiah Jones from Folsom last year who led their team in scoring against Salesian and Sheldon in the playoffs. Folsom lost their starting five as well and do not return a player as talented as Drake Middleton, but Coach Wall will find a way to win the SFL and make a run in D1 NorCals. Rocklin will be solid this year, but they will be very good next year!

@larry, u Make comments on here like you are an authority. Ur a dude who watches high school sports. U don’t sound like u have ever coached. I honestly question if u ever played past jv. U say that oak ridge returns a good core. They lost their whole starting five from last year. All seniors. Drake is going to have a solid senior year, not only because he had talent, but also because of his off-season play. I watched his team play at a couple of events and he looked disciplined and was playing solid defense. I’m not sure about the Brown kid because he did not play a lot last year. I watched him play a couple weekends ago and he looked solid. Oak Ridge will finish the Sfl in third behind Rocklin and Folsom who will win it again.

I also noticed you forgot to include Isaiah Jones from Folsom last year who led their team in scoring against Salesian and Sheldon in the playoffs. Folsom lost their starting five as well and do not return a player as talented as Drake Middleton, but Coach Wall will find a way to win the SFL and make a run in D1 NorCals. Rocklin will be solid this year, but they will be very good next year!

Think about what you said and it makes zero sense. First, played a lot longer than JV. Well into college buddy. Second, coach wall is a great coach and you are saying the same thing... Folsom lost a ton of kids from last year. Hmm guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Also, Middleton started and Brown played a lot. There other starters were Hoppe, Duane, and Vanderveer. Your not sure about the Brown kid? He's in the top 40 for his class.

Doesn't really matter because its like Folsom this year in Football. its Sheldon and everybody else is pretty distant.

Like my old coach would say. I've forgotten more than you know about hoops.

Reactions: LBJ6
Sheldon - players at all positions
Grant - tenacious D, long and athletic, need shooters
Capital- can Munson carry team
Jesuit - are young players ready to step up
Sac - this should be the year the former young team is ready
Folsom - Coach Wall will have his team ready to play
Oak ridge - don’t look as good as they play
Burbank - can they win the big games
Franklin - making strides and steadily improving
Rocklin - sleeper in the SFL
Whitney - 3 pointers must fall every night
BUBBLE- Cordova, Inderkum, Liberty Ranch, Monterey Trail

Think about what you said and it makes zero sense. First, played a lot longer than JV. Well into college buddy. Second, coach wall is a great coach and you are saying the same thing... Folsom lost a ton of kids from last year. Hmm guess I don't know what I'm talking about. Also, Middleton started and Brown played a lot. There other starters were Hoppe, Duane, and Vanderveer. Your not sure about the Brown kid? He's in the top 40 for his class.

Doesn't really matter because its like Folsom this year in Football. its Sheldon and everybody else is pretty distant.

Like my old coach would say. I've forgotten more than you know about hoops.

"I've forgotten more than you know about hoops." This is a well known basketball idiom. However, most great coaches I know would NEVER say this about THEMSELVES. They let OTHERS say it about them! Food for thought... Happy Friday all, and we are officially on countdown! The best season is nearly upon us!

Reactions: sachoopcoach
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT