ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason all-NorCal players

ClayK

Hall of Famer
Jun 25, 2001
Looking for nominations ...

If you've got 20, great, but whoever you have -- especially under the radar -- will help.

Thanks ...

Rain Sheh, Urban HS San Francisco
Annabel Schneiberg, Lick-Wilmerding HS San Francisco
Elle Ladine, Lowell HS San Francisco

..."doesn't mean anything"?...it has to mean something...it has to mean that a D1 school believes a kid is D1-scholarship-worthy, hence top-of-the-line in her class...

Last edited:
..."doesn't mean anything"?...it has to mean something...it has to mean that a D1 school believes a kid is D1-scholarship-worthy, hence top-of-the-line in her class...

Doesn't mean anything in regards to D1 always equates to best players. Like I said kids pick schools for whatever reasons. Just cause a good kid gets a D1 scholarship offer vs. a dynamic player that gets a d2 doesn't merit more. look at the entire player is how they should be measured.

Reactions: colhenrylives
You’re both right. Naming the D1 players is a pretty good place to start, but that doesn’t mean undeclared or D2 players may not be just as good or better this year. Preseason All NorCal nominations by definition should be based on how they will perform in high school this season. Colleges pick players more based on how their skills may transfer in the future against higher level opponents.

We lost a lot of great players from last season, so who else is out there this season?

Here's an under the radar name: Jamie Baum of Los Altos '21.

5'9, wiry and springy. She averaged 13.5 a game as a sophomore. Guessing 17.5 and 8 boards this year.

She also plays baseball

One more while I'm thinking about it.

Jess Oakland 5'10 sophomore at St Francis. The Lancers' only returning starter. Showed great athleticism and a nice touch as a freshman. She will be asked to score a lot more this season.

Great point about the awards being for high school. That 5-11 post may be dominant in high school but not get a D1 sniff -- but for me, these lists are about playing high school basketball, not about college potential.

Reactions: Willtalk
Tyra Hamilton G -Bishop O’Dowd long athletic guard that can score the ball and great on ball defender.

Alanis Brewer G - Bishop O’Dowd will have a break out year this season as well.

Here's an under the radar name: Jamie Baum of Los Altos '21.

5'9, wiry and springy. She averaged 13.5 a game as a sophomore. Guessing 17.5 and 8 boards this year.

She also plays baseball

Jamie had her best game of the early season yesterday. 27 pts 7 boards 5 steals v. Christopher. Averaging 16.5 and 6 so far, those took a hit because of a tough game against Presentation (which smothered her).

2021 Marley Langi Archbishop Mitty Monarchs. the beast will be unleashed this season. lets get it started

Marley most definitely. Marley looked hobbled in Nike TOC and limping. If she was healthy Mitty wins one of the two games they lost at TOC. But still a strong showing in the toughest bracket of the TOC for the Mitty.

Ilmar'I Thomas from SCHP was a 5'11 Post even tho she was listed at 6'1 and she is excelling at D1 Cincinnati. My point is that 5'11 post may have other skills that a college sees and just because she is doing what is needed for the team at that time doesn't mean she isn't capable of more. But the player has to be capable of more. that said, a player shouldn't make a Norcal team based on having more D1 potential than a non D1 player either way. I think that is the wrong approach.

Marley most definitely. Marley looked hobbled in Nike TOC and limping. If she was healthy Mitty wins one of the two games they lost at TOC. But still a strong showing in the toughest bracket of the TOC for the Mitty.
So you are implying that Marley was a Ghost of her usual self. Not too unusual for this time of the year.

Ashley Hiraki, Mitty senior point guard was voted to the TOC Joseph Smith division's All tournament team. She has had a great start to her senior season.

Ashley Hiraki definitely emerged as a player to keep an eye on this year.

Hiraki from Mitty makes that team go. I also think their big girl is a stud. To me those are Mittys 2 best players and difference makers....I dont agree on Olivia Williams though. Shes just a nice piece on a deep team..not a standout.

Hiraki from Mitty makes that team go. I also think their big girl is a stud. To me those are Mittys 2 best players and difference makers....I dont agree on Olivia Williams though. Shes just a nice piece on a deep team..not a standout.

Ashley Hiraki most definitely. The big girl you are referencing maybe Katie Springs? When she is in rhythm she is tough to defend and her rebounding is outstanding. Marley Langey is out but I hear she is coming back soon. For conference, if she is at form she will definitely be a standout. Olivia can shoot the 3 well and if she incorporates the rebounding and defense element she can be a standout also. But it seems like in different games different girls standout on that team and some girls standout that I haven't even mentioned. They are very balanced.

Ashley Hiraki most definitely. The big girl you are referencing maybe Katie Springs? When she is in rhythm she is tough to defend and her rebounding is outstanding. Marley Langey is out but I hear she is coming back soon. For conference, if she is at form she will definitely be a standout. Olivia can shoot the 3 well and if she incorporates the rebounding and defense element she can be a standout also. But it seems like in different games different girls standout on that team and some girls standout that I haven't even mentioned. They are very balanced.
It is so awesome to see Ashley Hiraki finally getting her chance and stepping up into the spotlight. I've seen her play since the 6th grade and she has improved every year. She has always had the ability, but plays so unselfish. She finally has the green light and has been put into situation where she has to be one of the stars. So happy for her and her family for her success so far this year! I cant wait to see what kind of offers she gets.

I know Colhenry already mentioned but Natalia Ackerman at Aptos size and athleticism should be there. Take away the game they played vs Presentation where she got hurt in first 2 mins of game she would be averaging 21 and 12. Only 3 practices ahead of the 1st game as a member of Aptos State Championship volleyball team.

Reactions: basketba11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT