ADVERTISEMENT

Etiwanda's clandestine classic

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Now we know. A published weekend report provided a good explanation for Etiwanda's beat-down of unbeaten Mitty, the nation's then No.1 prep team: The SoCal team's coaching staff spent months refining a 3-2 halfcourt zone defense that was kept under wraps until the CIF Open Division finale. They did not use it in any game prior to the title test. They wanted no film to give away the ploy. The result: They held Mitty to 16 halftime points. Sixteen. Think about that. Mitty scored 16 points (or more) in the first five minutes of any number of games this past season. By the time the Monarchs, whose vaunted press was literally no factor whatsoever, got any sort of handle on the 3-2, it was too late. Game over. Thanks for dropping by. Have a nice day. Wait until next year.

Last edited:
Now we know. A published weekend report provided a good explanation for Etiwanda's beat-down of unbeaten Mitty, the nation's then No.1 prep team: The SoCal team's coaching staff spent months refining a 3-2 halfcourt zone defense that was kept under wraps until the CIF Open Division finale. They did not use it in any game prior to the title test. They wanted no film to give away the ploy. The result: They held Mitty to 16 halftime points. Sixteen. Think about that. Mitty scored 16 points (or more) in the first five minutes of any number of games this past season. By the time the Monarchs, whose vaunted press was literally no factor whatsoever, got any sort of handle on the 3-2, it was too late. Game over. Thanks for dropping by. Have a nice day. Wait until next year.
I like stories like this. When you have a team that you think can make a run, it takes a big picture mindset. And Mitty could have shredded the zone and Etiwanda looks like they are trying to be too smart, but either way I like taking risks like this

Sue Phillips is a tremendous coach and assembler of talent for 25+ years now. Brings us to wonder why she goes full Kyle Shanahan in the final game. She is now 0-4 in the Open final. Last state win was 2015 in D2.

Several years ago "2008". MCclymonds was going to meet De La SAlle in the Nor-Call finals.
Coach Dwight Nathaniel Had a play drawn up, that they parcticed all year, but never used.
This was De La Salles famous back door cut. A light bulb went off when they finally got the aha moment.
Coach Nathaniel went on to have a 31-0 perfect season. Beating Dominguez in the finals.
Here's wishing you great hoops

Sue Phillips is a tremendous coach and assembler of talent for 25+ years now. Brings us to wonder why she goes full Kyle Shanahan in the final game. She is now 0-4 in the Open final. Last state win was 2015 in D2.
If there was a year she "should" have won it, this would have been the year. The last NorCal team to win it all was Tommy G and St. Mary's. and that was 15-16ish. So question...seeing that SoCal has dominated the open division, is it safe to say that they've proven to be "better" in girls' hoops?

What is Tom G doing these days? Anyone know? I thought he would be back in the saddle coaching by now. I do miss seeing him almost have an aneurysm everytime a kid turned the ball over or missed a shot. Animated and fun to watch to say the least!

Deer in the headlights her whole career
On the big stage she folds…always has
I am the only critic year after year
Nobody listens because the truth is hard to take… she is above average with a great
Feeder program

Nobody listens because the truth is hard to take… she is above average with a great
Feeder program
or the south just has better players. she is a great coach as she dominates where she needs to. but winning the big one takes a lot of other things other than great coaching alone.
see kyle shanahan.

If there was a year she "should" have won it, this would have been the year. The last NorCal team to win it all was Tommy G and St. Mary's. and that was 15-16ish. So question...seeing that SoCal has dominated the open division, is it safe to say that they've proven to be "better" in girls' hoops?

What is Tom G doing these days? Anyone know? I thought he would be back in the saddle coaching by now. I do miss seeing him almost have an aneurysm everytime a kid turned the ball over or missed a shot. Animated and fun to watch to say the least!
TG is a used car salesman… I used to live
In Stockdump a criticize him also as a fraud even when he was US HS Coach of the year

or the south just has better players. she is a great coach as she dominates where she needs to. but winning the big one takes a lot of other things other than great coaching alone.
see kyle shanahan.
They definitely have more really good players, as they have way more people, plus more people transferring than up here. For Etiwanda to get Grace Knox to transfer from a state championship team in Nevada, that really put them over the top. Not that they weren’t already great. She neutralized Woliczko and made big difference in what Mitty could do offensively. Plus, they got Shaena Brew to transfer over from Mater Dei.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBBall4L
The Mitty system is built to dominate not make big adjustments. It's one of the best systems I've ever seen but when it's neutralized and you gotta play off the bounce all hell breaks lose. Coaching is about making adjustments on the fly. That's what great coaches do. Mitty did adjust late in the game but then Etiwanda adjusted and neutralized that. Etiwanda has some of the best talent at the top and a true PG. It wasnt just that adjustment it's the ability to adjust to the adjustments. Mitty is so used to teams bending to their will and coaches not having an answer that when the rabbit gets the gun they don't know how to handle it. I've read that article and that's just putting your team in the best situation to when. Preparing for the unexpected. That my friends is coaching. Isn't it? Coaching is strategy and tactics also. But I think Sue is a heck of a coach and maybe just didn't have the answers for it.

Feeder program
sorry, but nobody listens to you because your takes are absurd, bias and plain dumb. Sue is hands down one of the top coaches in Norcal. Yet you bash her. lol

Truth was in the stats. Mitty was, I believe, 0-9 from 3 in first half and 0-11 until end of game. Et was 6-11 in 1st half. The physical play and athleticism really had Mitty disshelved.

Here's another thought: Perhaps Mitty should schedule a very difficult non-league opponent or two in late January or early February to get tested outside the confines of the WCAL which has become a comfy playpen for the Monarchs.

Here's another thought: Perhaps Mitty should schedule a very difficult non-league opponent or two in late January or early February to get tested outside the confines of the WCAL which has become a comfy playpen for the Monarchs.
We don't often agree but you are spot on here. Playing TOC/Iolani Classic is not enough. You have to put yourself in harms way more often to get better and be prepared for that big moment. I totally agree. Good take.

I mean she is the U17 USA coach and she wouldnt be doing her job if she didnt nudge a few players to come to San Jose. Or do the parents see how much it costs to live in the 408 and say hell no?

You would htin
We don't often agree but you are spot on here. Playing TOC/Iolani Classic is not enough. You have to put yourself in harms way more often to get better and be prepared for that big moment. I totally agree. Good take.
Agreed, but you would think that getting to the state championship would be a tough enough test and according to maxpreps, Mitty had a better SOS than Etiwanda. And what everyone is not seeing, Mitty beat LILH, which beat Etiwanda convincingly. I bet if they played 10 times it would be pretty even.

sadly this season no matter who the scheduled up north it would have been ugly for the opponent. they were that good.
they played o dowd jan 15 and won by 50. they played university and won by 60.

You would htin

Agreed, but you would think that getting to the state championship would be a tough enough test and according to maxpreps, Mitty had a better SOS than Etiwanda. And what everyone is not seeing, Mitty beat LILH, which beat Etiwanda convincingly. I bet if they played 10 times it would be pretty even.
Grace Nox wasn't healthy then and if you watched Etiwanda early like I did( I watch alot National girls hoops) Etiwanda didn't focus on defense. They tried to run and gun with everyone. It wasn't until right before section playoffs Stan got them to buy into playing that no glory back alley grind it out defense. When they started playing that way I knew Sierra Canyon was gonna have their hands full and so was Mitty. If you play tough defense you be amazed at what you can do. Add Etiwanda's talent and you saw it all come to life

Actually, we do agree more often than not.

Just for the heck of it because its been a topic here before. What are you folks saying since Etiwanda (a PUBLIC SCHOOL) beat the all mighty (private/catholic school) in back to back years? Is Rancho Cucamonga flush with endless D1 stars?

Just for the heck of it because its been a topic here before. What are you folks saying since Etiwanda (a PUBLIC SCHOOL) beat the all mighty (private/catholic school) in back to back years? Is Rancho Cucamonga flush with endless D1 stars?
the gentrification of los angeles, compton, long beach, inglewood and south central has made the IE and vegas really abundant with fast twitchers. the same happened to weston ranch, elk grove, and pittsburg... if only antioch would get their lives together.

• Wow
Reactions: coachlittle
Let's not pretend that the Good public schools like Clovis West And Etiwanda and even Centennial Corona don't recruit in some form. Not only that SoCal is about 3x the size as NorCal Population wise. A huge amount of pro athletes retire and raise their kids in Socal. So of course it's harder for our to beat SoCal at the top division. I will say Etiwanda if they do recruit have more competition because recruiting in Socal is fierce. Up north Mitty is the best option but the majority of the "Quick Twitch" kids don't wanna play in that Mitty system so they don't go to Mitty like some of them did previously.

I like stories like this. When you have a team that you think can make a run, it takes a big picture mindset. And Mitty could have shredded the zone and Etiwanda looks like they are trying to be too smart, but either way I like taking risks like this
I'm trying to understand what you mean by Mitty could have shredded the zone? Etiwanda was actually showing zone and switching often through out the game. I thought they did a great job of disguising their defensive intentions. That makes the team you are playing confused when trying to run plans. The only real way to beat that is to play off the bounce but you gotta have off the bounce players to do it against a team like Etiwanda. What its commonly heard throughout basketball is that a system can only protect you for so long. Sometimes to gotta be able to play basketball

Gee I wish I would have thought of that…
Weeks ago I said teams should be doing just that

Let's not pretend that the Good public schools like Clovis West And Etiwanda and even Centennial Corona don't recruit in some form. Not only that SoCal is about 3x the size as NorCal Population wise. A huge amount of pro athletes retire and raise their kids in Socal. So of course it's harder for our to beat SoCal at the top division. I will say Etiwanda if they do recruit have more competition because recruiting in Socal is fierce. Up north Mitty is the best option but the majority of the "Quick Twitch" kids don't wanna play in that Mitty system so they don't go to Mitty like some of them did previously.
Quick twitch aka black kids aka don’t want to play for Sue … there it is

As someone who used an unusual defense for a long time, I always could tell if someone had prepared for it. (If you care, it was a 1-3-1 halfcourt trap with a couple unusual rotations.)

At the high school level, no coach could get his or her players to adjust to it without some preparation, even if the coach knew exactly what to do. So if you didn't scout us, you were going to have issues (unless you were so athletically superior you could dribble through the double-teams).

A good coach could do something at halftime, but there's just no way to communicate a response to something like the 3-2 matchup Etiwanda was using during a timeout. So if I could, I waited until the second half to play my 1-3-1, knowing that high school kids were very unlikely to have ever seen it before and would have to try to understand what the coach was saying during a timeout and execute while under pressure.

Stan Delus made it more difficult by toggling back and forth between the man and zone, making it even harder for Mitty to adjust, because kids tend to forget instruction they get during a timeout if it can't be applied right away.

And I hated seeing other teams using a match-up zone. Attacking them is always difficult, and different configurations have weaknesses in different spots on the floor. The biggest issue is that they're hard to learn and implement, and all credit to Etiwanda to executing that 3-2 pretty flawlessly without having used it in a game.

the gentrification of los angeles, compton, long beach, inglewood and south central has made the IE and vegas really abundant with fast twitchers. the same happened to weston ranch, elk grove, and pittsburg... if only antioch would get their lives together.
you sound like Jimmy the Greek there...make sure you don't get fired!

As someone who used an unusual defense for a long time, I always could tell if someone had prepared for it. (If you care, it was a 1-3-1 halfcourt trap with a couple unusual rotations.)

At the high school level, no coach could get his or her players to adjust to it without some preparation, even if the coach knew exactly what to do. So if you didn't scout us, you were going to have issues (unless you were so athletically superior you could dribble through the double-teams).

A good coach could do something at halftime, but there's just no way to communicate a response to something like the 3-2 matchup Etiwanda was using during a timeout. So if I could, I waited until the second half to play my 1-3-1, knowing that high school kids were very unlikely to have ever seen it before and would have to try to understand what the coach was saying during a timeout and execute while under pressure.

Stan Delus made it more difficult by toggling back and forth between the man and zone, making it even harder for Mitty to adjust, because kids tend to forget instruction they get during a timeout if it can't be applied right away.

And I hated seeing other teams using a match-up zone. Attacking them is always difficult, and different configurations have weaknesses in different spots on the floor. The biggest issue is that they're hard to learn and implement, and all credit to Etiwanda to executing that 3-2 pretty flawlessly without having used it in a game.
Clay, your 1-3-1 did have some unusual rotations BUT they worked and caught a bunch of people off guard, which it is supposed to do. I think Sue is a great coach (and remember watching a summer practice before one of our summer games which they throttled us) but as some people have pointed out, a lot of girls' basketball teams run a lot of sets/pro sets and don't have a constant motion offense or flow to the game. I'm not sure this was the case with Mitty, but they did look confused at times, and no matter how many time outs, it's hard to adjust in the moment with that kind of pressure.

Do you know why Etiwanda's zone was so effective? They had GREAT man-to-man principles. The best way to teach a zone or matchup is to have good man principles because of all the constant rotating....PS thanks for the letter! haha

you sound like Jimmy the Greek there...make sure you don't get fired!
had to google who that was. i thought that was a restaurant. but what i said is true.. .u think all the brothas ended up in rancho cuca by choice??? you seen next friday

The fact that Grace Knox -- an elite player -- transferred to Etiwanda from Las Vegas, considering all the other options available, should tell you all you need to know.

In terms of Mitty's losses in the Open Division, a few things are true. They had close losses to Clovis West and Etiwanda Round 1. At this stage, the difference is razor thin and the ball can bounce the wrong way on you.

They have also dealt with injuries with one of their bigs going down the year they lost to Clovis West (can't remember her name now) and then Cheli coming back not totally at full strength the past two years.

Even with all of that listed above, it is still something a program like Mitty will wear until it isn't true anymore. Similar to boys basketball with Salesian, which never won a single Open Division game until this year.

But struggling to win the State Open Division title is a "good" problem to have

the 408 has "quick twitch" kids? Looks pretty white, yellow and brown to me.
in a city the size of san jose there are a sprinkle... but they stay over at oak grove i am guessing. it doesnt help that the surrounding burbs have none. the freshman point guard is not from san jose. not sure about the other one on the team

in a city the size of san jose there are a sprinkle... but they stay over at oak grove i am guessing. it doesnt help that the surrounding burbs have none. the freshman point guard is not from san jose. not sure about the other one on the team
I mean what was Haley Jones? Yes she was from Santa Cruz which is quite the a ridiculous drive up the 17 to get to school.

I mean what was Haley Jones? Yes she was from Santa Cruz which is quite the a ridiculous drive up the 17 to get to school.
i said a sprinkle... which gets me thinking... how good is the local santa cruz area schools and how would she have fared playing out that way

i said a sprinkle... which gets me thinking... how good is the local santa cruz area schools and how would she have fared playing out that way
open that up to a bigger picture. what if schools had to play within their boundaries? what would the basketball landscape look like then?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT