ADVERTISEMENT

Etiwanda's clandestine classic

You would htin

Agreed, but you would think that getting to the state championship would be a tough enough test and according to maxpreps, Mitty had a better SOS than Etiwanda. And what everyone is not seeing, Mitty beat LILH, which beat Etiwanda convincingly. I bet if they played 10 times it would be pretty even.
Etiwanda hands down had a stronger schedule. Also, I’m told Knox missed that game and the team did not practice for a while due to personal reasons right before they played Luhi. But at the end of the day they proved it on the court.

Here's another thought: Perhaps Mitty should schedule a very difficult non-league opponent or two in late January or early February to get tested outside the confines of the WCAL which has become a comfy playpen for the Monarchs.
Such as? They are playing twice a week in the WCAL, do they add a third game on the Thursday? Who would want to come play them while they are also in the middle of their own league?

They also are limited in travel and no one in NorCal wants to play them.

In terms of Mitty's losses in the Open Division, a few things are true. They had close losses to Clovis West and Etiwanda Round 1. At this stage, the difference is razor thin and the ball can bounce the wrong way on you.

They have also dealt with injuries with one of their bigs going down the year they lost to Clovis West (can't remember her name now) and then Cheli coming back not totally at full strength the past two years.

Even with all of that listed above, it is still something a program like Mitty will wear until it isn't true anymore. Similar to boys basketball with Salesian, which never won a single Open Division game until this year.

But struggling to win the State Open Division title is a "good" problem to have
Nicole Blakes, University of San Diego was the player that they lost before C.W.

Reactions: Streak One
Such as? They are playing twice a week in the WCAL, do they add a third game on the Thursday? Who would want to come play them while they are also in the middle of their own league?
they did play 2 games in late january... beat o dowd by 40 and university by 60. nobody wanted to go play them

Just for the heck of it because its been a topic here before. What are you folks saying since Etiwanda (a PUBLIC SCHOOL) beat the all mighty (private/catholic school) in back to back years? Is Rancho Cucamonga flush with endless D1 stars?
Not sure how many are from Rancho Cucamonga.

Nicole Blakes, University of San Diego was the player that they lost before C.W.
Are you sure you are in the correct season? They lost Nicole Blake's Haley Jones jr season before Playoffs to an ACL injury. The year Pinewood beat them to go to state in the open and Hannah Jump hit like 6 3 pointers. Nicole Blake's was in the box score for the CW open division state championship game the previous year .

Reactions: CW Golden Eagles
Are you sure you are in the correct season? They lost Nicole Blake's Haley Jones jr season before Playoffs to an ACL injury. The year Pinewood beat them to go to state in the open and Hannah Jump hit like 6 3 pointers. Nicole Blake's was in the box score for the CW open division state championship game the previous year .
Correct. Blakes played against us in that game.

You are correct - it was the PInewood year.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Etiwanda hands down had a stronger schedule. Also, I’m told Knox missed that game and the team did not practice for a while due to personal reasons right before they played Luhi. But at the end of the day they proved it on the court.
"Hands down stronger season " ?

I'm not sure I agree....but I will acknowledge is that at the end of the year the path Mitty took to represent the North in the Open state final was not nearly the juggernaut that Etiwanda had to go thru. Talk about battle tested at the end for Etiwanda!!!...And that certainly helped.

Indeed. One could make an argument that, in many ways, the massive Southern Section could easily stand alone as a separate state. The hoops competition (and in other sports) is fierce.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT