ADVERTISEMENT

Sabrina to the Ducks

kkross22

Superstar
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2013
No more need to speculate. The news everybody has been waiting for is in. CONGRATS SI!!

Does this mean coach Sopak doesn't get the gig in UDAWG since he didn't deliever?

I think Kelly Sopak has his Cal Star's Club to focus on 1st and foremost. I would guess Kelly is in position to move forward if he chooses to do so after wrapping up things this season with Cal Stars. Kelly is still a good coach with or without Sabrina. But like all good coaches he needs talented players to be successful. There are many talented players at University of Washington even without Sabrina should Kelly choose to take that position. Whatever Kelly decides, I think he will continue to be successful, and I wish him all the best.

Congratulations to Sabrina and best wishes at the next level.

Reactions: kkross22
Did Sabrina decided to go to Oregon right now or was she going to there the whole time??? Did she make a deal for her bother to or just want to go to school together? Does Kelly get the job at UW without delivery Sabrina?????? Doubt it but is was a good hail Mary shot to get a chance to coach in college???? BUT FAMILY IS FIRST THAT'S WHY OREGON FOR SABRINA!!!!!!!!!

Did Sabrina decided to go to Oregon right now or was she going to there the whole time??? Did she make a deal for her bother to or just want to go to school together? Does Kelly get the job at UW without delivery Sabrina?????? Doubt it but is was a good hail Mary shot to get a chance to coach in college???? BUT FAMILY IS FIRST THAT'S WHY OREGON FOR SABRINA!!!!!!!!!

I could be wrong, but I believe Sabrina's brother decided not to go through with the plan to walk on at Oregon. I also think without Sabrina, the position at Washington is still open to Kelly, which in my opinion is a good look for them. Kelly has good rapport with a lot of people, knows the game, and I feel could be great for recruiting.

from what i understand, the job is still there for kelly to accept/decline. from a basketball standpoint it seems like a no brainer for a coach, but obviously theres much more to the decision than that.

congrats to sabrina, she shoved the waiting game right in face of the ncaa and people that pressured her.. i respect that.

My admittedly limited understanding of the situation suggests that Eddy's presence at Oregon was not a crucial factor.

That always seemed like the spot for Sabrina for reasons mentioned here and other places (can be the face of a program on the upswing, school that recruited her the hardest).

Congrats to Sabrina and her family! Will be fun to watch her college career

From everything I have heard is Kelly declined the offer last week sometime or else Ionescu would have went to UW. Although did we ever get confirmation from a reliable source that it was even option for him? I heard Sabrina's brother is not attending Oregon.

i heard enough from people that the offer was official... and i heard this past weekend that the offer was still on the table and he had not decided (or at least had not made his decision known) i cant imagine that after all her time to decide, sabrina would make her choice based on what kelly wanted to do, but im no inside source close to the situation so this is speculation

I talked to Kelly today and he will stay at Miramonte and with CalStars.

The offer was definitely real ...

I talked to Kelly today and he will stay at Miramonte and with CalStars.

The offer was definitely real ...

Then Miramonte, Cal Stars, and its players are the real winners of the lottery. And that should make the Miramonte vs Campolindo rivalry that much better the next few years. My guess is the money was not large enough to offset the sacrifice Kelly would have had to make not only uprooting his family, but leaving behind both his Miramonte and Cal Stars players and their families who have supported Kelly loyally for years. Though I'm sure many of those players and families would have supported Kelly's upward move into the college ranks and eventually higher should his destiny be able to keep up with his coaching ability.

Nice piece in SF chronicle today on Sabrina. Sounds like brother is going to CCSF to play.

i cant imagine that after all her time to decide, sabrina would make her choice based on what kelly wanted to do, but im no inside source close to the situation so this is speculation

It must have some influence because Wash was originally never on her final list.

The PAC 12 should be an exciting conference to watch in the coming years. We have a lot of Nor Cal players in the conference which will add to the intrigue.

Not too much has been made of Cayton but I think that was steal the century for Cal especially after losing Gabby Green.

I'll just edit this to say I will be at Miramonte this coming season. It's hard to know when to respond to allegations with facts, or if it's better to simply not respond at all.

Last edited:
The problem with society today is parents pride. On more than one occasion this summer I have heard people talking about how their son or daughter is being "recruited" by certain schools. In private schools their child is getting a "scholarship" to said school. It's never "my kid is going to (fill in school) because I want them there and we received financial aid because we qualified." It's comical. I do believe there are situations where coaches, other parents influence decisions. I would guess the particular family that has moved from Ukiah to Orinda has something to do with the success Miramonte has had over the years not the academic difference. It is happening everywhere.

Congratulations Clay, it would seem that would be a good fit for you, especially considering your long time association in the Lamorinda area.

great news for MM. Clay was an assistant for state champs at Acalanes and Campo. two down, one to go...

Jayme-

I think there are public schools in Sonoma county.

South Bay-

What are you talking about?

garbage post and my garbage reply taken out with the trash. good work by housekeeping.

Mkbgdns -

Was it the same one that spoke about a girl that is moving from Sonoma County to Contra Costa County to save paying private school tuition?

Last edited:
I guess No. 1 was aimed at me ... my apologies to all for trying to discuss facts. I'll be sure to keep more information to myself in the future.

But I will stand by what I've always said: Families should be free to send their children to whatever school they think fits their needs, and whether that school be Cardinal Newman or Bentley or wherever, it's family decision and should be respected as such.

I guess No. 1 was aimed at me ... my apologies to all for trying to discuss facts. I'll be sure to keep more information to myself in the future.

But I will stand by what I've always said: Families should be free to send their children to whatever school they think fits their needs, and whether that school be Cardinal Newman or Bentley or wherever, it's family decision and should be respected as such.

no no no....lol

#1 had nothing to do with you Clay. What you said had absolutely zero influence on my post.

You are misreading who that was intended for. I already knew the young lady was attending MM when you posted it.

And as I have stated before on here.... I agree that a family should be able to send their kid anywhere they want...and transfer anywhere they want without penalty.

great news for MM. Clay was an assistant for state champs at Acalanes and Campo. two down, one to go...

mkbgdns,

I think Kelly and Clay will be great for MM. But after graduating Sabrina, Howard, and Delos santos, I'm not so sure they will have enough talent, depth, and experience, to win a state championship in the California Open Division. Not that Acalanes or Campolindo won theirs in the Open Division either. I guess they're set up to finally not be selected in the top 8. So perhaps.... I agree, the possible Division 2 state championship is well within reach for MM. They won't have the size and skill that Sabrina supplied, or the depth and experience that Howard and Delos santos gave them. But they will still have a good starting 5, and be a well coached team with a lot of heart and confidence. I already purchased tickets to the MM vs Campolindo games (smile).

certainly did not have the Open in mind, or even next year. 4 graduated from a primary playing rotation of 7. not a coincidence that Open run coincided with SI's high school tenure. lots of other fine players, but she was special. a once in (my) lifetime kid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT