ADVERTISEMENT

Sac State hangs 77 on Southern Oregon

Hahahahaha. Power house D2 SOU came town. Good test next week against ASU. I thought UCD looked solid against CAL falling 27-13 after taking 10-0 lead. Cal made good adj and little more speed and size made diff. Gap isn’t as big as once was though. Lots of local kids getting minutes.

I guess with the new coaching staff having been used to in high school to running up the score this should have been expected.

Sac State pulled its starters 5 minutes into the second half, and basically ran every play at that point (3 total passes by the back up QB). In fact, Sac St only passed 23 times in the game, total. They had 49 points with 4 minutes remaining in the 2nd quarter, and could’ve scored 100 if they wanted to. “Running up the score” you say. Hardly.

I know that doesn’t fit your narrative, but though some people may be interested in what actually happened. Their opponent was simply overmatched. Next week will be much more telling for the Hornets.

SIDENOTE: I can’t understand why they started this game at 6:00 instead of say 7:30. It was HOT until the sun went down (about halftime)!!

Reactions: ThunderRam
Hahahahaha. Power house D2 SOU came town. Good test next week against ASU. I thought UCD looked solid against CAL falling 27-13 after taking 10-0 lead. Cal made good adj and little more speed and size made diff. Gap isn’t as big as once was though. Lots of local kids getting minutes.
Next week will be interesting. There’s quite a difference between a PAC-12 opponent & NAIA SOU.

Yep SOU is NAIA. I am excited for Sac State this year as we have a few former players on the team. I feel the new staff is invested in getting local talent. SOU has had very good success at their level. They have a good OC up there, and we have had some former player play there as well.

SOU is fine at that level. Nothing wrong with them. ASU QB Daniels looks to be real deal. I will be surprised if Sac state can stay within 4 TD’s. Hopefully the program keeps getting better with new coaching. UCD certainly seems to have turned the table.
Sac stay always seems to start night games at 6. Maybe safety thing?

SOU is fine at that level. Nothing wrong with them.

Exactly.

My first thoughts were similar as the naysayers, as they only beat a D2 program -- even though they are top 20.

Then I suddenly remembered that Sac State barely eked out out a 63-56 win in OT against the very same program back in 2013. Then when factoring in that the Hornets lost to Western Oregon in 2016, I realized that what they accomplished on Saturday night actually means something to their program.

It shows progress. Under old leadership, those were the types of games they sometimes lost. And they never scored 77 points against any of those teams in the history of playing them. So it tells me that things just might be a bit different under the new regime -- even if/when they get demolished by ASU next week.

IMO, considering their tough schedule (toughest in the Big Sky) and the new staff with only one recruiting class under their belt, anything over 3-4 wins should considered a successful season. I think it's possible they overachieve and win 5. maybe even 6 games. We'll see.

Next week will be interesting. There’s quite a difference between a PAC-12 opponent & NAIA SOU.

There is. And the Hornets have shown the ability to compete with and even steal a few W's against FBS opponents. They've beaten Oregon State and Colorado and had SD State on the ropes last season.

Of course this is a different team with a different staff and they'll be facing a Herm Edwards coached team on the road. This isn't a game they'll be expected to play close let alone win. But stranger things have happened.

They'll be in the same position Southern Oregon was in against them last SAT.

Best ticket in town....

While I'm a lifelong Ohio State fan, I've been following the Hornets closely since they moved up to FCS in 1996. I try to get out to a few games each season. I fondly recall the days of Charles Roberts, Ricky Ray, the Hammerheads, and Coach Volek.

When the Hornets are good, it is one of the best tickets in town. I'll definitely be going to a couple games this season. I didn't go this past SAT, but I did stream it via Pluto. They look like they'll be a very fun team to follow.

Reactions: coachlittle
SIDENOTE: I can’t understand why they started this game at 6:00 instead of say 7:30. It was HOT until the sun went down (about halftime)!!

IDK what the logic is behind the start times. But I do know that ALL home games are slated to begin at 6pm, except for the Causeway which has to be played earlier in the day due to NCAA rules.

Are fans more inclined to attend a game at 6 vs. 7 or 730 so that they can do something afterward? IDK what the attendance numbers show regarding start times.

But I do agree with you that early in the season when the sun is up longer, it makes sense to start those games a tad later.

While I'm a lifelong Ohio State fan, I've been following the Hornets closely since they moved up to FCS in 1996. I try to get out to a few games each season. I fondly recall the days of Charles Roberts, Ricky Ray, the Hammerheads, and Coach Volek.

When the Hornets are good, it is one of the best tickets in town. I'll definitely be going to a couple games this season. I didn't go this past SAT, but I did stream it via Pluto. They look like they'll be a very fun team to follow.
What channel was the Sac State game on Pluto? I’m now living in the Philippines and would like to see them play future games.

I think we can all agree its a little more exciting these days when you have 2 local colleges that look to be competitive week in and out. I agree TR. Wouldn't be surprised to see a .500 type season.

What channel was the Sac State game on Pluto? I’m now living in the Philippines and would like to see them play future games.

Pluto was easy to download and Steam on my iPad jimmy. Hope all is well!!

I don't recall which channel it was on. I just selected it from the guide menu after scrolling to the 'Sports' section then cast it from the computer to the TV (can't do that from the smartphone/tablet app). BTW, if anybody needs the trick on how to do it, let me know.

It looks as if all but 2 of the remaining games will be available via Pluto. The rest of the home schedule is also being broadcast locally on CW31.

This is the best site I've found with detailed broadcast/media info: https://fbschedules.com/sacramento-state-football-schedule/

Last edited:
IDK what the logic is behind the start times. But I do know that ALL home games are slated to begin at 6pm, except for the Causeway which has to be played earlier in the day due to NCAA rules.

Are fans more inclined to attend a game at 6 vs. 7 or 730 so that they can do something afterward? IDK what the attendance numbers show regarding start times.

But I do agree with you that early in the season when the sun is up longer, it makes sense to start those games a tad later.

Maybe a little gamesmanship? Puts the opponent in the sun for the first half at the beginning of the season. Also cuts into the students tailgating time. Had a buddy who’s son played for sac st a couple years back and the tailgates can be a lot of fun...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT