ADVERTISEMENT

Sacto. Bee newspaper Girls BB Rankings & Commentary - 1/18/2022

cptmycpa

Sports Fanatic
Jan 19, 2016
Sacramento Bee newspaper Girls basketball rankings as of 1/18/2022, and commentary by Bee correspondent Cameron Salerno.

MCCLATCHY WINS (UPSETS) METRO OPENER Two weeks ago, the McClatchy High School girls’ basketball team was in a position no team wanted. The Lions were forced to postpone and reschedule games due to COVID-19 issues within their program. It took two weeks for McClatchy to play a game in 2022. McClatchy returned to the court Friday with a statement win. The Lions beat Metro League rival and previous No. 2 Laguna Creek 87-63. The Lions jumped from No. 7 to fourth in the rankings. Star senior Saray White had 22 and rising freshman Nina Cain had 20. McClatchy got contributions from underclassmen in Kaela Stancil-Williams, who had 15 and Norrett Lewis, who had 12. Sophomore Milah Masters had eight points and eight rebounds. McClatchy during the spring only played two games because of COVID-19 issues. With roster depth and youth, the Lions will challenge Laguna Creek for the Metro League title.

OAK RIDGE MOVES UP TO NO. 2 After a strong performance against the previously third-ranked Del Oro, Oak Ridge is The Bee’s new second-ranked team. The Trojans are 3-0 in Sierra Foothill League play, with wins over Del Oro, Granite Bay and Rocklin. Oak Ridge has two big league games this week with Whitney on Wednesday and a battle against The Bee’s top-ranked team Folsom on Friday. All six teams in the SFL are ranked. “Every SFL game is like a playoff game,” Oak Ridge coach Steve White said after his team’s win over Del Oro. “

ANTELOPE SURGE Defending Division ll Sac-Joaquin Section champion Antelope has been on a tear. After losing to St. Francis on Dec. 10 to drop to 2-3 on the season, the Titans have won seven games in a row. Antelope is currently 4-0 in the Capital Valley Conference play. A big reason for the Titans’ success has been junior Mary Carter, who transferred from Rocklin. Carter had to sit out the first 30 days of the season and made her season debut at the end of 2021. In six games this season, she is averaging 26 points, 14 rebounds, five assists and 3.5 blocks per game.

THE BEE’S TOP 20
1. Folsom 16-0
2. Oak Ridge 14-4
3. Del Oro 15-3
4. McClatchy 9-4
5. Laguna Creek 12-2
6. Vista del Lago 11-2
7. Vanden 12-3
8. Colfax 15-2
9. Christian Brothers 13-3
10. Lincoln 16-2
11. Granite Bay 15-6
12. Antelope 10-3
13. Grant 13-4
14. Monterey Trail 10-4
15. Whitney 11-10
16. Rocklin 10-6
17. Bear River 13-0
18. Rio Linda 12-0
19. Dixon 11-3
20. Cosumnes Oaks 9-6

Reactions: snake18
There’s no way that Antelope should be sitting at 12. In a head-to-head they beat Christian Brothers, nobody believes Colfax is better than them. Antelope is at worse 8 and that is questionable. Folsom is a legit number one but everyone after that my money is on Antelope.
Just Sayin

Last edited:
There’s no way that Antelope should be sitting at 12. In a head-to-head they beat Christian Brothers, nobody believes Colfax is better than them. Antelope is at worse 8 and that is questionable. Folsom is a legit number one but everyone after that my money is on Antelope.
Just Sayin
Everything is fluid. Antelope also lost to Rodriguez and St. Francis, whom both lost to Christian Brothers -- SF by 20. Of course this all occurred before the transfer from Rocklin was eligible. Antelope has surged since she's hit the floor. These polls are fun water cooler fodder. Ultimately it will be decided on the court, with key league matchups on the horizon and during the playoffs. That's what matters.

Reactions: observer22
Just Sayin
We can discuss ranking all day and not agree. #16 Rocklin beat #11 Granite Bay last Friday. #19 Dixon finished 1st in a tournament that included both #11 Granite Bay and #8 Colfax. Shouldn’t Dixon be higher?

We can discuss ranking all day and not agree. #16 Rocklin beat #11 Granite Bay last Friday. #19 Dixon finished 1st in a tournament that included both #11 Granite Bay and #8 Colfax. Shouldn’t Dixon be higher?
Rocklin, Granite Bay, Dixon and Colfax are never in the Discussion and none of them have any signature wins but like someone said earlier it’ll be handled on the court. Antelope has Vanden and Salesians coming up to high-level quality programs unlike the teams you named. Antelope actually goes out and plays teams some of the best in Northern California.

I was not knocking Antelope nor their scheduling. Just commenting on “rankings”. But since you brought up teams not being in the “discussion”, would Rocklin be in if Antelope didn’t get their top player?

I was not knocking Antelope nor their scheduling. Just commenting on “rankings”. But since you brought up teams not being in the “discussion”, would Rocklin be in if Antelope didn’t get their top player?
Marie is definitely a team changer that’s what makes it so sad that Rocklin was always so bad but no one can dispute Antelope year in and year out is always in the discussion

just keeping it real

Marie is definitely a team changer that’s what makes it so sad that Rocklin was always so bad but no one can dispute Antelope year in and year out is always in the discussion

just keeping it real
You win. Only schools good enough to get transfers are worth discussing. The kids that stay local don’t deserve to see their team’s name in Sac Bee ranking or anywhere else. At least not until they are in the discussion for the OPEN. Cause the OPEN is the only championship.

I will go back under my rock now.

Reactions: cptmycpa and 11BDad
You win. Only schools good enough to get transfers are worth discussing. The kids that stay local don’t deserve to see their team’s name in Sac Bee ranking or anywhere else. At least not until they are in the discussion for the OPEN. Cause the OPEN is the only championship.

I will go back under my rock now.
Have a good day Sir

Reactions: BBallCoach73
Sacramento Bee newspaper Girls basketball rankings as of 1/18/2022, and commentary by Bee correspondent Cameron Salerno.

MCCLATCHY WINS (UPSETS) METRO OPENER Two weeks ago, the McClatchy High School girls’ basketball team was in a position no team wanted. The Lions were forced to postpone and reschedule games due to COVID-19 issues within their program. It took two weeks for McClatchy to play a game in 2022. McClatchy returned to the court Friday with a statement win. The Lions beat Metro League rival and previous No. 2 Laguna Creek 87-63. The Lions jumped from No. 7 to fourth in the rankings. Star senior Saray White had 22 and rising freshman Nina Cain had 20. McClatchy got contributions from underclassmen in Kaela Stancil-Williams, who had 15 and Norrett Lewis, who had 12. Sophomore Milah Masters had eight points and eight rebounds. McClatchy during the spring only played two games because of COVID-19 issues. With roster depth and youth, the Lions will challenge Laguna Creek for the Metro League title.

OAK RIDGE MOVES UP TO NO. 2 After a strong performance against the previously third-ranked Del Oro, Oak Ridge is The Bee’s new second-ranked team. The Trojans are 3-0 in Sierra Foothill League play, with wins over Del Oro, Granite Bay and Rocklin. Oak Ridge has two big league games this week with Whitney on Wednesday and a battle against The Bee’s top-ranked team Folsom on Friday. All six teams in the SFL are ranked. “Every SFL game is like a playoff game,” Oak Ridge coach Steve White said after his team’s win over Del Oro. “

ANTELOPE SURGE Defending Division ll Sac-Joaquin Section champion Antelope has been on a tear. After losing to St. Francis on Dec. 10 to drop to 2-3 on the season, the Titans have won seven games in a row. Antelope is currently 4-0 in the Capital Valley Conference play. A big reason for the Titans’ success has been junior Mary Carter, who transferred from Rocklin. Carter had to sit out the first 30 days of the season and made her season debut at the end of 2021. In six games this season, she is averaging 26 points, 14 rebounds, five assists and 3.5 blocks per game.

THE BEE’S TOP 20
1. Folsom 16-0
2. Oak Ridge 14-4
3. Del Oro 15-3
4. McClatchy 9-4
5. Laguna Creek 12-2
6. Vista del Lago 11-2
7. Vanden 12-3
8. Colfax 15-2
9. Christian Brothers 13-3
10. Lincoln 16-2
11. Granite Bay 15-6
12. Antelope 10-3
13. Grant 13-4
14. Monterey Trail 10-4
15. Whitney 11-10
16. Rocklin 10-6
17. Bear River 13-0
18. Rio Linda 12-0
19. Dixon 11-3
20. Cosumnes Oaks 9-6
Is it me? Or are all the top teams, the same teams with coaches who run aau club programs? (Mitty/SJ cagers, Carondelet/cal stars, Antelope/JBS, Folsom/Sac stars, etc,......). I could be wrong, but it seems like the coach at Oak Ridge does NOT run a large aau club. And if this is correct, my hat's off to the guy, cause they're always in the conversation...

Is it me? Or are all the top teams, the same teams with coaches who run aau club programs? (Mitty/SJ cagers, Carondelet/cal stars, Antelope/JBS, Folsom/Sac stars, etc,......). I could be wrong, but it seems like the coach at Oak Ridge does NOT run a large aau club. And if this is correct, my hat's off to the guy, cause they're always in the conversation...
I’m guessing you never heard of EDH All-Net. The best youth program in the Sacramento region. All kids from El Dorado Hills.

Reactions: OnBall8
I've heard of All Net, but didnt' realize they were a large program like the others mentioned
All Net is actually bigger then all the other programs mention and a direct feeder for Oak Ridge sports programs, as they start teams a low as 2nd and 3rd grade. I actually started JBS while I was still coaching at Highlands high to mimic what Oak Ridge was doing to stay successful year in and year out, but it has grown in to something completely different. EDH All-Net is a big-time machine and only serves families in the El Dorado community and I assure you every player on Oak Ridge roster has been a part of the All-Net.

All Net is actually bigger then all the other programs mention and a direct feeder for Oak Ridge sports programs, as they start teams a low as 2nd and 3rd grade. I actually started JBS while I was still coaching at Highlands high to mimic what Oak Ridge was doing to stay successful year in and year out, but it has grown in to something completely different. EDH All-Net is a big-time machine and only serves families in the El Dorado community and I assure you every player on Oak Ridge roster has been a part of the All-Net.
Do have teams that compete at the AAU National tournaments?

Gotcha. I would then wonder which programs compete with the kids from their own communities, which you pointed out All Net does. And which programs are competing with kids outside of their communities, much like some private high school are doing?

I guess it seems like Oak Ridge or All Net 's "main" focus then, is to develop the kids in their own town and most other programs are simply focused on winning, which is why they end up recruiting kids from outside their communities. Which supports my original post about acknowledging the stable success of Oak Ridge/All Net girls basketball

now the white privilege up in that neck of the woods.....that's another story. But you can't expect anyone to apologize for that, you get out what you put in

What did you say that you were wrong about when referencing Oakridge?
i was being sarcastic. a few weeks ago i made mention of their steady and sustained success, seemingly without using a feeder program to entice talent from other communities, like the other winning programs seem to all do

Correct me if i'm wrong on this.......
-Carondelet's best 2 players transferred in from other schools and probably others...
-Antelope's best player just came from Rocklin
-St. Mary's is always playing with other school's players (bear creek, Lincoln, etc.,)
-Folsom's star freshman lives in El Dorado Hills (Oak Ridge attendance area)

And then you have Oak Ridge beating these teams, with girls from their actual "attendance area"

To OldSchoolHooper: when you say Folsom’s star Frosh lives in the attendance area of Oak Ridge, does that mean it’s a geographic area where she had a choice of schools, or did this require some sort of waiver to attend a school out of address?

... and let's not even start talking about CCS private/parochial schools that feature a boarding component available to outstanding foreign talent ... that's a discussion for another time, another place ...

Reactions: BBallCoach73
Oak Ridge did add Ella Ray before last season. Nothing wrong with it

I think it is fair to assume if you are competiting at the top levels, you are adding players and have a year round focus on the sport. That is true for just about every prep sport

... and let's not even start talking about CCS private/parochial schools that feature a boarding component available to outstanding foreign talent ... that's a discussion for another time, another place ...
Colonel, I'm aware of Eastside College Prep providing housing for some of their students, at least they used to. Given their mission, that seems pretty reasonable. Which other schools in CCS provide housing? Don't be afraid to say the names, I'm assuming it's public information. I'd also be curious whether you feel the housing is only available to athletes, or to any qualified students. Seriously, I'm just curious, as I'm not aware of others besides ESCP.

Colonel, I'm aware of Eastside College Prep providing housing for some of their students, at least they used to. Given their mission, that seems pretty reasonable. Which other schools in CCS provide housing? Don't be afraid to say the names, I'm assuming it's public information. I'd also be curious whether you feel the housing is only available to athletes, or to any qualified students. Seriously, I'm just curious, as I'm not aware of others besides ESCP.
@colhenrylives Waiting

Woodside Priory?

Reactions: TheHillZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT