ADVERTISEMENT

Sad Day. Bill Russell passes at 88.

He revolutionized the sport, in more ways than one. While not a standout at McClymond's HS by any means, he graduated at mid-term (fairly common in the early 1950s) and went on tour with a California team that opened some eyes. He had already committed to USF, having been recruited off the Oakland playgrounds by a Dons' booster. Raw but primed to learn, Russell became a phenom at USF. His national title teams in 1955 and 1956 brought East Coast media focus on the Bay Area. Cal won a national crown in 1959 and, for a moment in time, the NorCal region was on top of the collegiate hoops heap. But it wasn't long before John Wooden and UCLA took the air out of the local balloon. The Bay Area's glory days were gone. They have not returned. But we can thank Bill Russell (and KC Jones, Mike Farmer, Gene Brown and the rest of the Dons _ and those Cal guys too) for elevating the area to the pinnacle of success, albeit for just a few years. It hasn't been the same since.

He revolutionized the sport, in more ways than one. While not a standout at McClymond's HS by any means, he graduated at mid-term (fairly common in the early 1950s) and went on tour with a California team that opened some eyes. He had already committed to USF, having been recruited off the Oakland playgrounds by a Dons' booster. Raw but primed to learn, Russell became a phenom at USF. His national title teams in 1955 and 1956 brought East Coast media focus on the Bay Area. Cal won a national crown in 1959 and, for a moment in time, the NorCal region was on top of the collegiate hoops heap. But it wasn't long before John Wooden and UCLA took the air out of the local balloon. The Bay Area's glory days were gone. They have not returned. But we can thank Bill Russell (and KC Jones, Mike Farmer, Gene Brown and the rest of the Dons _ and those Cal guys too) for elevating the area to the pinnacle of success, albeit for just a few years. It hasn't been the same since.
Well said !

Totally team-first guy. Did the little things to the max. His hoops IQ without the ball in his hands was outstanding. He made his teammates better. He didn't crave offensive numbers, although he could, and did, score. He was physical, tough, focused and dedicated to winning and titles. He was not recruited much at all out of high school. He worked on his skills, loved a challenge and rose to the occasion in big games. He was a leader and became more outspoken as the decades rolled on. He became something of an NBA elder statesman as he grew older. He did not shy away from social issues if he felt the need to comment. This may seem a bit homerish (new word) but there is a guy in the NBA today that bears a very modest similarity to Russell's game: Golden State's Looney.. Both 6-9. Both lefties. Both dedicated to defense, rebounding, running the floor and facilitating teammates. I do realize that Looney is not Russell, but there is something similar there. Russell, though, was special. By the way, his USF teams started three black guys most of the time. That was very controversial in those days. The Dons ran into racist rules when they played in parts of the Midwest and Deep South. Some of those crowds were brutal. Russell, KC Jones, Hal Perry and Gene Brown managed to hang in there, compete with class and dignity and win. A great story.

Totally team-first guy. Did the little things to the max. His hoops IQ without the ball in his hands was outstanding. He made his teammates better. He didn't crave offensive numbers, although he could, and did, score. He was physical, tough, focused and dedicated to winning and titles. He was not recruited much at all out of high school. He worked on his skills, loved a challenge and rose to the occasion in big games. He was a leader and became more outspoken as the decades rolled on. He became something of an NBA elder statesman as he grew older. He did not shy away from social issues if he felt the need to comment. This may seem a bit homerish (new word) but there is a guy in the NBA today that bears a very modest similarity to Russell's game: Golden State's Looney.. Both 6-9. Both lefties. Both dedicated to defense, rebounding, running the floor and facilitating teammates. I do realize that Looney is not Russell, but there is something similar there. Russell, though, was special. By the way, his USF teams started three black guys most of the time. That was very controversial in those days. The Dons ran into racist rules when they played in parts of the Midwest and Deep South. Some of those crowds were brutal. Russell, KC Jones, Hal Perry and Gene Brown managed to hang in there, compete with class and dignity and win. A great story.
the only thing similar is they are black and left handed. lmaaaaoooooooooo...
next you gonna say curry better than kobe, magic and jordan combined

remember it’s Bay Area related so automatically hates it and shits on it…..LA metro is so dope he doesn’t live there
not really. the asian women here are elite. the traffic decent too. and some of the best cougars from walnut creek and san ramon are down cuz of the success of the beige boys at chase. yall got a few things going on. i cant live in LA ever again. i have run a foul of the law a few times.

• Haha
Reactions: MC415
I remember visiting my father when I was 9 years old . He had this Eight Inch TV set. He points to the screen and says this is the Celtics and they have Bill Russell and Bob Cousey, and they are going to win a bunch of Championships.

That was one of the few things he was ever right about :) :)

Here's wishing you great hoops

not really. the asian women here are elite. the traffic decent too. and some of the best cougars from walnut creek and san ramon are down cuz of the success of the beige boys at chase. yall got a few things going on. i cant live in LA ever again. i have run a foul of the law a few times.
You truly are a jerk

Great article on Russell from Ethan Kassel:

Bill Russell
Nice article. I heard some erroneous reports yesterday that Bill had won 2 state championships at Mack prior to all his untouchable college and pro accolades. Not only were there no actual state playoffs back then, but as Ethan clarifies, Russell played JV his junior year and only played 1 year of HS varsity ball. A late bloomer to be sure.

Reactions: concrete17
I don't remember where, but I read this somewhere: In Russell's HS days many high school coaches didn't want their centers jumping to block shots, but rather they were expected to stay down and get a hand or hands up to obstruct a shooter's vision, also reducing the possibility of getting whistled.

This may have been a reason why Russell blossomed late, because he apparently was a "jump to block shots" guy.

As was some dude named Wilt... He had a much more stellar HS career; maybe this post-defense thing was a West/East difference.

Of course, this may be complete internet BS about Russell... But it at least seems to make a bit of sense...

In any case, both guys completely changed the game!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT